Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Target rifle

Options
  • 24-03-2020 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Like most people I have way too much time on my hands at the minute. Some of the older Anschutz Target rifles have caught my eye online, and I have been reading up on them.
    If any of you have experience of them, is there much difference in the 54 and 64 action rifles, when it comes to accuracy and triggers. If I bought one I'd be sticking a scope on it, for some prone , bi-pod shooting and some bench work.

Not interested in the current new guns

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

is there much difference in the 54 and 64 action rifles
    Yes, in my opinion there is a difference other than the named ones.

The 54 is simply better built. Now they're Anschutz so the 64 is not exactly crap, but there are build differences in the two. The 54 is a higher grade, so much so that 40+ year old 54 actioned rifles shoot as well and if not always better than the 64 series. Its why they're so popular.

I had both the 54 and 64 action Anschutz rifles and ended up selling the 64 action target rifle to buy a 54 action hunting rifle after i bought my 54 actioned target rifle.. Phew, that is a lot of numbers. :D

I found the 54 rifle to be smoother, with a better factory trigger and more "solid" action and barrel. In its defense the 64 could shoot just as well when i done my part, but the 54 was 44 years old, whereas the 64 was brand new, and the 54 was out performing it without as much "effort".

The hunting rifle i bought was the 1710D built on the 54 action. It gave excellent target ability but with the design of a hunter meaning i punch paper all day then hit the bunnies in the evening. One of the 5 rifles i regret selling over my life. Below is a picture of the three of them. THe 1710 is the middle one, sorry i don't have a better picture, but search 1710D and you'll get a good load of info.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Thanks Cass, I have a 1710 HB , but I see the older target rifles for sale in England some at very good prices.
    Once the madness is over I must try and get a shot with a target rifle as I have never fired one.
    Im guessing I'd have to go 54 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭badaj0z

I agree with Cass. The Target 54 actions and barrels are marginally better that the sporter 54 actions, all be it at the cost of more weight. I never liked the 64 actions, just on appearance. Pure bias without having sought out any numerical facts to support. The variety of stocks, triggers etc. available from Anschutz and others gives you the target shooting equivalent of a big boys's LEGO set. It is a shame that the sporter 54 and target 54 actions are not interchangeable as the stock bolt locations and triggers mounts are different.
    I have a 1710 and 1712 barreled actions and 4 different stocks between them. I have 2 different triggers and recently decided to swap the bits around to maximise accuracy and stay within the NASRPC competition rules for different classes. If you add the type of scope and mount variation to this equation, then I think I will keep myself busy over the next few weeks, trying to optimise the variables, let alone ammo type!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

On the chance one sticks its head above the parapet look out for the X range. I think/believe in was the early 70s when Anschutz produced the X line of target rifles. They had a different alloy makeup making them larger, heavier and above all a better shooter. The didn't last long because the price tag reflected the changes and even for Anschutz they were expensive.

The blue one above was one such rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Time for a check of egun I think lol

• Advertisement

Here are some photos of a 1710 with an MDT stock and a custom made stock, a 1712 with a McMillan stock set up for Mettallic Silhouette shooting and a 1408 ED Running Boar Rifle in a Custom hunting thumb hole stock.[IMG][/img]XXKDqXpl.jpg
    [IMG][/img]e6OCSlpl.jpg

[IMG][/img]pD7hivYl.jpg

That is not a moderator on the last photo, it is an adjustable balance weight.

very nice, is there any improvement in groups using the MDT chassis compared to the wood stock.

The wood stock is pillar bedded so no discernible difference. Of the 3 actions, the 1408 is clearly the tightest groups, as it should be, having a single shot action and heavy barrel. The 1712 is marginally better than the 1710. I added a bag rider to the MDT stock and that did improve group size due to the geometry involved. Most sporter type stock have steepish angles on the underside of the rear stock so recoil moves them back and tilts the barrel. If the rear part of the stock, in contact with the bag is horizontal, then the vertical movement is minimised.

Advertisement