Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to beat the All Blacks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This AB team know we won't tire like the Saffers, and know we can't be outplayed like Australia. The longer the game goes with us in front, the more doubt will begin to creep into AB minds that the game is lost. What do they do then? Do they have a plan B? Can they find a way to win? I trust you weren't being serious, but if you genuinely think they'll need to resort to a hit job on our 10 in the closing stages, that wouldn't be filling me with confidence tbh.

Apart from assuming that Ireland will be in front in the second half what makes you think that we are not going to tire? We looked dead on our feet in the last 20 minutes v.Japan and Russia, I've never seem them look so knackered in the closing stages of a game. That might be because of the humidity or that they're not acclimatised to it but the evidence from those two games suggests we are going to tire against the ABs too and if its even close in the last 20 we wont have the gas tank to stay with them.

At the end of the day we havent showed anything in this world cup or in 2019 to make me think we are capable of beating the ABs. If it did happen it would be completely going against all the current trends and evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The main source of hope I can find is that it’s a relatively inexperienced NZ team, particularly in the back three. Bridge and Reece are both newcomers, Barrett is new to the full back position. Mo’unga only has fifteen caps or something. When you compare it to the NZ ‘11 or ‘15 teams it’s a marked point of difference.

They’re class players but there’s always the chance they get unsettled under pressure they haven’t played under before (Barrett aside and even he hasn’t experienced it at 15). A masterclass in tactical kicking might be able to force mistakes from the NZ back three, especially Reece under high balls. That combined with a huge defensive performance which keeps NZ to around fifteen points is Ireland’s only path to victory.

It’s hard to see based on 2019 form.

Do you bench Stockers for Conway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any drop in odds with Owens on board?

He screwed us over twice before so maybe this time he might help us out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Apart from assuming that Ireland will be in front in the second half what makes you think that we are not going to tire? We looked dead on our feet in the last 20 minutes v.Japan and Russia, I've never seem them look so knackered in the closing stages of a game. That might be because of the humidity or that they're not acclimatised to it but the evidence from those two games suggests we are going to tire against the ABs too and if its even close in the last 20 we wont have the gas tank to stay with them.

At the end of the day we havent showed anything in this world cup or in 2019 to make me think we are capable of beating the ABs. If it did happen it would be completely going against all the current trends and evidence.
    Humidity issue is gone now by all accounts. Game against Samoa was reported to have been played in what was described as normal conditions. Temperatures are lower and humidity much less, probably as a result of the typhoon. But at this stage, they'd be acclimatised anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can't wait for this match i really can't,

last night for instance i had this bizzare dream about it.....

the match had to be relocated to a public park due to a waterlogged pitch, spectators & coaching staff were all standing along the touchline watching the game, Ireland were winning right through the match but lost with the last play of the game with a dubious try that the irish players & staff disputed furiously...but the try was upheld and the match ended in a riot.............make of that what you will :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The longer the game goes with us in front, the more doubt will begin to creep into AB minds that the game is lost. What do they do then? Do they have a plan B? Can they find a way to win?

I don't think this is how the ABs think or operate.
    They never believe the game is lost, play to the end and have the belief and ability to score on the back of a large number of phases with the clock well into the red, not many teams can do that, its basically Man UTD circa 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I hope we have a tailored plan. We need far more balance and creativity in our play. The wrap around (that Sexton has been doing since he broke into the St. Mary's AIL side) has to be shelved for more nuance. We take 15 phases and multiple rucks to score a try that New Zealand score in 3 or 4. Therefore the energy they will have is greater. We would never have scored Japan's first against scotland imo. I cannot remember the last time we made a break in the 22 and didn't slow to create a ruck.

Yet I think though New Zealand allow themselves get suckered into arm wrestles against us. Can't let those paddies try to best us in the scrum or maul, even though we can run around them...lets prove the point and go through them. Schmidts tactics are ideal sometimes for that.

There has to be something we haven't seen.

However, are we happy though with beating New Zealand and blowing all our beans? Thats the trouble facing this team when we clearly wanted and needed South Africa.

We played at home in the Six Nations. There is no comparison to knockout rugby imo. Shorter turn arounds in world cup. Less energy than the six nations. Lesser teams. Italy and Scotland? Are playing Wales, France and England comparable to playing New Zealand, England and say South Africa. I don't think so.

It was very close to France winning in 2018. I won't say luck, you make your own luck our multiple phases. It took so much work to beat France that time. We then played Italy. What happens if we had played England or Wales? As Schmidt and Eddie said before, the 6 nations scheduling plays a huge part. as we saw with Chicago they couldn't back it up one big game after another.

No way we beat New Zealand, England and Say South Africa playing the multiple phase game we employ. We create the most rucks of any tier 1 side and all record tackle stats have come from teams playing Ireland, all tight 5. It shows how much yes the opposition has to work, but so do we. Its absolutely knackering.

take James Ryan stats. 15 carries per game, 15 tackles. Thats 90 actions in those matches.

Thats why i am worried with facing New Zealand. its going to take France 2015 levels of grit and hurt and pain. Tears after, beans blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any drop in odds with Owens on board?

He screwed us over twice before so maybe this time he might help us out

Still 7/2 and handicap of 12. No change afaik

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Do we bombard Seevu Reece test him in that area? has he really been put under that sort of pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Very happy that Owens is the ref. At least he appreciates the beauty and style of the All Blacks play. He clearly sees that they are trying to play rugby the right way. And the Irish style is ugly and boring and should not be rewarded. Owens understands that ABs are vital to the success of the RWC and rugby in general and that they should be allowed to run riot because it is a beautiful thing to watch. Unlike Ireland.

Also Owens won't tolerate that mouthy, petulant little **** Sexton and he will hopefully put him back in his box. Whereas he is a great admirer of the All Blacks support for the LGBT community, especially TJ Perenara and I expect Owens will reward them for it. Basically there is another 60 point ass-whooping coming your way Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Very happy that Owens is the ref. At least he appreciates the beauty and style of the All Blacks play. He clearly sees that they are trying to play rugby the right way. And the Irish style is ugly and boring and should not be rewarded. Owens understands that ABs are vital to the success of the RWC and rugby in general and that they should be allowed to run riot because it is a beautiful thing to watch. Unlike Ireland.

Also Owens won't tolerate that mouthy, petulant little **** Sexton and he will hopefully put him back in his box. Whereas he is a great admirer of the All Blacks support for the LGBT community, especially TJ Perenara and I expect Owens will reward them for it. Basically there is another 60 point ass-whooping coming your way Ireland.

Is there medication involved in this post or just a big set of blinkers?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't think this is how the ABs think or operate.
    They never believe the game is lost, play to the end and have the belief and ability to score on the back of a large number of phases with the clock well into the red, not many teams can do that, its basically Man UTD circa 2000.

exactly and they have plan a,b,c,d,e,f. Most of their plans involve backing their skill levels and execution time and again. Drop a few balls? doesn't phase them. If an Irish player drops an offload it gets shut down.

There is no other team in the World that could pull off the score like in the Aviva when we nearly drew. Doubt doesn't creep into their mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

is_that_so wrote: »

Seems quite restrained for a Kiwi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Niallof9 wrote: »
    exactly and they have plan a,b,c,d,e,f. Most of their plans involve backing their skill levels and execution time and again. Drop a few balls? doesn't phase them. If an Irish player drops an offload it gets shut down.

There is no other team in the World that could pull off the score like in the Aviva when we nearly drew. Doubt doesn't creep into their mentality.

So New Zealand have multiple plans which involve doing the same thing even if they make mistakes.

But Ireland only have a plan A, which if it isn't working they change. If they only have a plan A, then what do they change to?

A lot is being made of Ireland being in bad form, but the AB were hardly in sparkling form during the rugby championship either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

is_that_so wrote: »

Fear does weird things to a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

You mean to say your happy with a biased ref? bet your hoping for a similar Joubert performance where they don't get punished time and again for infringements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

A lot is being made of Ireland being in bad form, but the AB were hardly in sparkling form during the rugby championship either.
    TBH they're experimenting quite a lot which could be a good thing for us if it doesn't come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'll bet that the number of whooshes appearing in the responses to this post correlate directly to how many points we beat NZ by on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's impossible.

The AB will have 27 men on the pitch and they are all over 7'2 in width and height.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

You're on a roll lately :pac:

I spoke to a mate back in NZ last week. He said the word on the street is that we're gonna smash Ireland and then smash England. I do miss living in that little bubble.

That last line hurt regardless

Here is a mad idea.

I really think the Irish team should link arms and march slowly up their faces during the Haka and basically start eyeballing them. It will put them right off their game.

The last time NZ last at the WC was against France in 2007 and guess what the French team did beforehand? That's right.

Here is a mad idea.

I really think the Irish team should link arms and march slowly up their faces during the Haka and basically start eyeballing them. It will put them right off their game.

The last time NZ last at the WC was against France in 2007 and guess what the French team did beforehand? That's right.

Unfortunately they won't allow any of those shenanigans anymore. Both teams behind the 10m line, no eyeball action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I hope we don't get preoccupied with the haka nonsense, it has as much impact on the result as a bunch of cheerleaders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Basil3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately they won't allow any of those shenanigans anymore. Both teams behind the 10m line, no eyeball action.

They didn't allow it then either. Realistically they're not going to stop you.

But it would all be a bit pointless I think.

Basil3 wrote: »

But let that be the curve ball. Like when Leeds Utd would literally kick the opposition in the tunnel beforehand to rile up the opposition.

Martin Johnson didn't care about protocol in 2003 when faced with Mary McAleese- that's what champions are made from. Fcuk the rule book. Push the boat out.

These are desperate times.

*further applause*

That's what I like to see. Shove your chips in and enjoy the sport. I for one am nothing but a cheerleader this week. Otherwise what's the point? Anyone trying to appear wise before the event by predicting an Irish loss can get the feck out of my echo chamber.

I salute your dark Kiwi soul. However, Ireland were always liable to make a mess of someone else's RWC '19 if they can't win it themselves and I for one am glad it's going to be yours and not Japan's.

So New Zealand have multiple plans which involve doing the same thing even if they make mistakes.

But Ireland only have a plan A, which if it isn't working they change. If they only have a plan A, then what do they change to?

Ireland tend to tailor their plans to the opposition. New Zealand do it in match. Very few teams can do what New Zealand do. hansen already hinted that perhaps Schmidt does too much analysis. They can play it a number of ways. I think there is no disputing it at this stage.

Irelands current game plan will be the same they did in 2018 imo. Its the only chance right now we have of winning as much as i personally hate it. Alot of it revolves around micro details, accurate and plain old fashioned hard work with a dollop of dispassion. Sometimes we will use a play from somewhere, maybe one that hasn't been used since 2015. The Stockdale try was an otago highlanders move he saw. Accurate clearing at rucks, no offloading so rucker can know role. No transition really, running from deep, so our 15 tends to run back to opposition to set up ruck as Kearney said before. Lineout, maul a huge weapon. Pick and jams from even as deep as our ten metre line. Box kick. Relentless carries and one out runners particularly in the 22. In our own 22 we tend to run it out instead of kicking. Whn its on song on a cold november night or in a 6 nations with a booze fueled crowd behind us it works a treat.

The All Blacks are the Dublin or Kilkenny of rugby, no matter what we do if you played them 100 times they'd win most of them. We had two great wins over them but i think in a competitive match we don't have much hope unless everything goes our way. And if it transpires as such we must rue the Japan match and not brush it under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »
    We put the brick on the accelerator.

aloooof, you forgot your brick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

But let that be the curve ball. Like when Leeds Utd would literally kick the opposition in the tunnel beforehand to rile up the opposition.

Martin Johnson didn't care about protocol in 2003 when faced with Mary McAleese- that's what champions are made from. Fcuk the rule book. Push the boat out.

These are desperate times.

Desperate times are 10 mins to go two scores down not now or not when the Haka takes place.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    *further applause*

That's what I like to see. Shove your chips in and enjoy the sport. I for one am nothing but a cheerleader this week. Otherwise what's the point? Anyone trying to appear wise before the event by predicting an Irish loss can get the feck out of my echo chamber.

I salute your dark Kiwi soul. However, Ireland were always liable to make a mess of someone else's RWC '19 if they can't win it themselves and I for one am glad it's going to be yours and not Japan's.

After a over a decade living in Ireland and about half of it here on Boards, I've always been fascinated (and slightly bemused) by the bitterness, the parochilism and the crazy that I would see around the inter-pros. While I support Munster first, then Leinster and the other 2, I never really had a dog in the fight. I generally looked at matches fairly dispassionately and just hoped for a good game. During the match i cheered for my team then celebrated or commiserate, had a pint and moved on.

I've decided to give the whole one-eyed, we're awesome and you're crap, bat**** crazy method a go this week. So c'mon!! Let's be having ya!!

Edit: please excuse me if my trash talk is weak. I'm new at this. Spud-munchers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

andymx11 wrote: »
    Desperate times are 10 mins to go two scores down not now or not when the Haka takes place.

Like after the Henshaw try in Chicago? Actually that was 5 minutes to go to be fair... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Like after the Henshaw try in Chicago? Actually that was 5 minutes to go to be fair... ;)

Yup.. have a feeling NZ will feel that desperation all over again...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

After a over a decade living in Ireland and about half of it here on Boards, I've always been fascinated (and slightly bemused) by the bitterness, the parochilism and the crazy that I would see around the inter-pros. While I support Munster first, then Leinster and the other 2, I never really had a dog in the fight. I generally looked at matches fairly dispassionately and just hoped for a good game. During the match i cheered for my team then celebrated or commiserate, had a pint and moved on.

I've decided to give the whole one-eyed, we're awesome and you're crap, bat**** crazy method a go this week. So c'mon!! Let's be having ya!!

Edit: please excuse me if my trash talk is weak. I'm new at this. Spud-munchers.

Frankly, there hasn't been anywhere near enough mentions of Umaga and Mealamu in the build up to this. It is only Tuesday I suppose!

Frankly, there hasn't been anywhere near enough mentions of Umaga and Mealamu in the build up to this. It is only Tuesday I suppose!

I thought it was a bit early to bring up the Breakers of BOD :D That was a fun tour.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought it was a bit early to bring up the Breakers of BOD :D That was a fun tour.

at this stage Umaga will be more known for his breaking of the Blues

:D:D:D:D:D

That's the spirit. I've written a little song for you. I think you'll pick the tune up fairly handy - you do have lumberjacks over there right?I'll start it off and you can join in. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We're New Zealanders and we're OK,
    We drink our beers, our sheep eat hay,
    We like to play rugby in the wet or dry,
    When possible, we tackle high.

We don't like books or poems or plays, our culture's one of sport.
    We don't like mobile phones in use, near toilets in air-ports.

(all together now)

We're New Zealanders and we're alright,
    Our country's nice, our weathers' ****e,
    Our players will rarely come through the gate,
    If they can't tackle high, they'll hit you late,

We wear black shirts and all black boots, jock straps and gumshields,
    We don't like playing rug-by, with french refs on the field.

(everybody!)

We're New Zealanders and we're hard men,
    Our best fullback's first name is Ben,
    We mostly win and rarely lose,
    When he retires, he'll join Toulouse.

We never bitch, and rarely moan,
    ...But that pass was forward and our food was poisoned and the laws should be changed to prevent the sort of nigative plaiy dit we sawr todaiy. It's just not in 'im. Hois not dit soht of plaiyer. It's dissapointing for his fimly to read the sort of rubbish thit's bin sid roicentloy...*fade out*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Perhaps this will sound cliche but I am a firm believer in the emotional levels helping us raise our game.

We've seen Japan playing with supreme pride an honour in front of their home fans. I don't think they would have won against us or Scotland without that added edge of the utter desire not to let their home support down.

Similarly, this could be Rory Bests last game for Ireland. As with Joe. This could be Sextons last RWC game along with a host of others.

I think these are important points and the squad is tighter than it has ever been having been together constantly for the last 2-3 months. 1-23 the lads are going to be doing absolutely everything to ensure these fellas play at least one more game.

I think this is understated. Knock out rugby is won on finding the extra 1% and this emotion is a good way to get it

Have to respectively disagree with the emotional angle. We've never lacked for that when playing NZ and the adrenaline spike left us with nothing in the tank for the second half.
    Last time we beat them, if you ask the players, they'll say that they knew then could win and so, their aggression was controlled ans they stuck to the game plan.

Ireland's main issue now is that teams are putting blockers in the way when we're trying to contest kicks and this has taken away one of our main sources of territory and possession.

It will be interesting to see how Joe will plan this one.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    That's the spirit. I've written a little song for you. I think you'll pick the tune up fairly handy - you do have lumberjacks over there right?I'll start it off and you can join in. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We're New Zealanders and we're OK,
    We drink our beers, our sheep eat hay,
    We like to play rugby in the wet or dry,
    When possible, we tackle high.

We don't like books or poems or plays, our culture's one of sport.
    We don't like mobile phones in use, near toilets in air-ports.

(all together now)

We're New Zealanders and we're alright,
    Our country's nice, our weathers' ****e,
    Our players will rarely come through the gate,
    If they can't tackle high, they'll hit you late,

We wear black shirts and all black boots, jock straps and gumshields,
    We don't like playing rug-by, with french refs on the field.

(everybody!)

We're New Zealanders and we're hard men,
    Our best fullback's first name is Ben,
    We mostly win and rarely lose,
    When he retires, he'll join Toulouse.

We never bitch, and rarely moan,
    ...But that pass was forward and our food was poisoned and the laws should be changed to prevent the sort of nigative plaiy dit we sawr todaiy. It's just not in 'im. Hois not dit soht of plaiyer. It's dissapointing for his fimly to read the sort of rubbish thit's bin sid roicentloy...*fade out*

Fantastic work. Absolutely brilliant. Right up there with Joyce, Wilde, Yeats, O'Carroll-Kelly and Beckett. As we say back in NZ, "shot bro".

There were 2 mistakes; our sheep are grass fed and our weather is better than Ireland's! But well done sir. I like your style.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    at this stage Umaga will be more known for his breaking of the Blues

:D:D:D:D:D

Thats just mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I hope we don't get preoccupied with the haka nonsense, it has as much impact on the result as a bunch of cheerleaders.

Why do teams give them the platform to try and psyche them out. If I were Ireland I'd be kicking a few balls over the post, doing a few more stretches and having a chat oblivious to whats happening with them. They would look stupid doing a haka to no one at this stage

thomasm wrote: »
    Why do teams give them the platform to try and psyche them out. If I were Ireland I'd be kicking a few balls over the post, doing a few more stretches and having a chat oblivious to whats happening with them. They would look stupid doing a haka to no one at this stage

Tell the truth. If you were facing the haka, you would be crying with fear and wetting your pants.

I think the only way to respond to the All Blacks' haka is to bow respectfully and then drop to your knees thanking them for allowing you on their field.

We should start a thread

"How to beat Ireland"

Let the NZ fans see if they know how!!!!

Tell the truth. If you were facing the haka, you would be crying with fear and wetting your pants.

I think the only way to respond to the All Blacks' haka is to bow respectfully and then drop to your knees thanking them for allowing you on their field.

The haka had some mystic affect years ago when people rarely seen it

Now its on the TV every day of the week.....nothing mystically about it. The day they sold it off to highest bidder, I think Adidas, lost all credibility for it as well .......they might as well stick a big advertisement board behind it flogging cherrio's or corn flakes, make a few more quid out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The haka had some mystic affect years ago when people rarely seen it

Now its on the TV every day of the week.....nothing mystically about it. The day they sold it off to highest bidder, I think Adidas, lost all credibility for it as well .......they might as well stick a big advertisement board behind it flogging cherrio's or corn flakes, make a few more quid out of it

Only that I'm heading out to Japan on Thursday, I would be particularly looking forward to Donal Lenihan telling me which haka it is and the significance of same. :rolleyes:

We should start a thread

"How to beat Ireland"

Let the NZ fans see if they know how!!!!

Rush up fast and smash their one out runners. Leave a couple of late hits on Murray and Sexton to make them throw their toys. Move the ball wide quickly and at pace. Simple 😜

Rush up fast and smash their one out runners. Leave a couple of late hits on Murray and Sexton to make them throw their toys. Move the ball wide quickly and at pace. Simple 😜

So last in the list is actually playing your own game. I must say, I've never seen Kiwis so anxious about their team before. Is it the young lads on the wings? The new centre partnership since the last RWC? The new 10? New personnel in the back row? Beauden at 15? How many are still there since 2015 actually, around 5 or so? What's the win record been since the likes of McCaw, C. Smith, Nonu, Kaino etc retired? Certainly hasn't been great against Ireland. You've lost to both SA and Aus too, right? And didn't Argentina run you close? Is this why Kiwis aren't showing the usual unyielding reassurance in their team?

So last in the list is actually playing your own game. I must say, I've never seen Kiwis so anxious about their team before. Is it the young lads on the wings? The new centre partnership since the last RWC? The new 10? New personnel in the back row? Beauden at 15? How many are still there since 2015 actually, around 5 or so? What's the win record been since the likes of McCaw, C. Smith, Nonu, Kaino etc retired? Certainly hasn't been great against Ireland. You've lost to both SA and Aus too, right? And didn't Argentina run you close? Is this why Kiwis aren't showing the usual unyielding reassurance in their team?

Defence is part of our game. We're not going to have 100% possession. As long as our defence is sorted our attack will flow. As we build a lead, Ireland wont know what to do. We all know they can't chase a game.

I like the youth we have. Better than relying on tired, old, out of form has been like Best, POM, Sexton, Earls and Kearney.

Yeah we've lost games since the last RWC but none at this RWC. I'd guess our win winning percentage is still around 80% but 1-2 against Ireland so time to square the ledger. Yes we've lost Aus and SA but so have you. We haven't lost to Japan or Scotland 😠Argentina have run us close but we still have never lost to them 😜

• Advertisement

Defence is part of our game. We're not going to have 100% possession. As long as our defence is sorted our attack will flow. As we build a lead, Ireland wont know what to do. We all know they can't chase a game.

I like the youth we have. Better than relying on tired, old, out of form has been like Best, POM, Sexton, Earls and Kearney.

Yeah we've lost games since the last RWC but none at this RWC. I'd guess our win winning percentage is still around 80% but 1-2 against Ireland so time to square the ledger. Yes we've lost Aus and SA but so have you. We haven't lost to Japan or Scotland 😠Argentina have run us close but we still have never lost to them ��

I think of the truly unstoppable All Blacks teams of the recent past, and I recall a different use of defence, one that primarily set up attack following a turn-over. The old adage - they're more dangerous when you have the ball. Ruthlessly attacking the breakdown to strip ball and murder teams on the counter - that was very much part of your game for sure. Are those days gone? Rushing up your defence to stop Ireland's one-out runners speaks of an entirely different mentality to me, i.e. more negative, damage limitation. In fact, when you lost to us last November* we actually dominated the turnovers 17 to 11. Whatever about comprehensively losing a rugby match, for an All-Black team to lose the turnover battle, in any game, is absolutely unheard of to me. What's going on, do you think? It can't all be down to losing McCaw, surely?

*Best, POM, Sexton, Earls and Kearney all played that day.

Advertisement