Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Kennedy straight in at #1 on UK album chart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Rothko wrote: »
    The charts mean nothing at all and never have.

But they did. Reflected in prime time television chart shows, where household names would have to make live appearances anyway these painfully earnest in love mother****ers like little bitches; pining for their mommy figure in some cookie cutter r n b styling isn’t native to me. You’d want to have a killer voice like Bryan Adams or something to gain proper recognition...I don’t know it takes a certain character n all. David Gray was good at it?

I’d like to do a mr jingles style teardown on that George Ezra, too I can’t stand the sound of him. Sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Must be the guy Tom Dunne was raving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

He sounds just the rest of them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I'm genuinely surprised that there is such a thing as a pop music chart anymore. I had thought everybody was just copying it from online for free. Why would somebody buy, for instance, his song when they could drop over to Youtube and convert it to MP3/whatever format for free?

I'd say pirating music is getting less and less prevalent amongst the masses actually. Spotify and Apple music and other streaming are too convenient and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

First Irish act to top the UK album chart in nearly 20 years now. Hozier has never had an album higher than #3 there.

Where are The Script from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Jayses! ye're some shower of whinge bags, fair play to the fella, very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Interesting factoid: he is the nephew of Mary Kennedy of Nationwide infamy. You can see the resemblance in the eyes I think. Now aren’t ye ashamed to say he has a scobie’s head on him. Poor Mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭its_steve116

vriesmays wrote: »
    Where are The Script from.

Forgot about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hard to know how some have never heard of him unless they dont follow the music scene?

He has been on the ellen show, jonathan ross show, late late show, has played all the big festivals, was on the main stage at ep this year. He is very well known in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Interesting factoid: he is the nephew of Mary Kennedy of Nationwide infamy. You can see the resemblance in the eyes I think. Now aren’t ye ashamed to say he has a scobie’s head on him. Poor Mary!

Haha hilarious. You have proper artists from the hood who are actually from the hood like that chap Burnt Out disappearing into obscurity (I think he died) then you have artists from the hood who are actually from RTE rocking the charts and selling out arenas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

Walked down Grafton Street the other day. Loads of teen-agers singing the most morbid downbeat depressing songs. Like lads cheer up, there's a bit of craic to be had if yis lighten up. Yous won't be 16 forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

emo72 wrote: »
    Walked down Grafton Street the other day. Loads of teen-agers singing the most morbid downbeat depressing songs. Like lads cheer up, there's a bit of craic to be had if yis lighten up. Yous won't be 16 forever.

What would a 72 year old emo know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Never heard of him/ her/ them. I'll be sure to check it out before I decide that it's ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭emo72

Jonybgud wrote: »
    What would a 72 year old emo know about it?

Well there's that too. Maybe I am getting old......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

emo72 wrote: »

A cause of anxiety in the youth, listening to sing-songwriter dirges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I'm at work now must listen to him anyone who gets No.1 in UK must be half decent you'd hope lol.

His album is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Some bitterness in Ireland. Like how are we known around the world as friendly people. The cool lads saying who is he? How do they still think that's a thing. Just say fair play. Saying scobie head on him and miserably music yet they have have never seen or heard of him. Great nation of people when we are in another country. Same twats will be at his concerts somewhere foreign waving an Irish flag.

debok wrote: »
    Some bitterness in Ireland. Like how are we known around the world as friendly people. The cool lads saying who is he? How do they still think that's a thing. Just say fair play. Saying scobie head on him and miserably music yet they have have never seen or heard of him. Great nation of people when we are in another country. Same twats will be at his concerts somewhere foreign waving an Irish flag.

He is as far from a scobie as they come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

never heard of him but I presume the record consists of whinging poorly written love songs like all the rest of the Irish acts today

never heard of him but I presume the record consists of whinging poorly written love songs like all the rest of the Irish acts today

You would presume wrongly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

debok wrote: »

I especially hate the way we cant take a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

listermint wrote: »
    Very good artist tbh.

Dermotologically tested. Passes safety guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

By album sales I take it that means people are listening to it on Spotify or something on their phones. Big deal.

Just listening now.

"Rome" is fierce stuff altogether. Great voice. I wish he had a stronger Dublin accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just listening now.

"Rome" is fierce stuff altogether. Great voice. I wish he had a stronger Dublin accent though.

What level of Dublin accent? ‘Damo’ Damien Dempsey levels for example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

An almost transcendent level of inanity-he makes Michael Bolton sound like Frank Zappa.

What level of Dublin accent? ‘Damo’ Damien Dempsey levels for example?
    Whatever a Crumlin accent sounds like, apparently that's where he grew up. It would sound a bit more gritty. He performs with quite an American accent at times, but I'm only Nitpicking.

Great performer altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Whatever a Crumlin accent sounds like, apparently that's where he grew up. It would sound a bit more gritty. He performs with quite an American accent at times, but I'm only Nitpicking.

Great performer altogether.

Its not that it's bad. It just sounds like all the others doing the same thing. I never heard Rome so threw it up on youtube. And alongside the video, up next, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Passanger, Lewis Capaldi etc. I'd struggle to tell one from the other.

To me its bland and the voice sounds affected like that lad from Picture This. I'll bet one of Dermot Kennedys songs is going to be a favourite among the next batch of X factor contestants. Fair f*cks to the guy, I wish him the best but hes not doing anything remotely interesting.

Advertisement