Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Kennedy straight in at #1 on UK album chart

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Heckler wrote: »
    Its not that it's bad. It just sounds like all the others doing the same thing. I never heard Rome so threw it up on youtube. And alongside the video, up next, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Passanger, Lewis Capaldi etc. I'd struggle to tell one from the other.

To me its bland and the voice sounds affected like that lad from Picture This. I'll bet one of Dermot Kennedys songs is going to be a favourite among the next batch of X factor contestants. Fair f*cks to the guy, I wish him the best but hes not doing anything remotely interesting.

The regular edition of the X Factor has been cancelled they are only having celebrities on it now.

Whatever a Crumlin accent sounds like, apparently that's where he grew up. It would sound a bit more gritty. He performs with quite an American accent at times, but I'm only Nitpicking.

Great performer altogether.

No it was Rathcoole.

Its not that it's bad. It just sounds like all the others doing the same thing. I never heard Rome so threw it up on youtube. And alongside the video, up next, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Passanger, Lewis Capaldi etc. I'd struggle to tell one from the other.

To me its bland and the voice sounds affected like that lad from Picture This. I'll bet one of Dermot Kennedys songs is going to be a favourite among the next batch of X factor contestants. Fair f*cks to the guy, I wish him the best but hes not doing anything remotely interesting.
    I think you're being very hard on him. Surely, the young man isn't reinventing the wheel, he's not claiming to be avante garde like Bowie, for example. He is what he is, a talented musician with some very good lyrics (spotted with occasional mediocrity, that's inevitable), in fact he is probably a poet.

And as someone who seems to have begun his career busking for change in the Rain on Grafton Street, it's marvelous to see what he's acheived.

So I do see your point but not sure he quite deserves that criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I think you're being very hard on him. Surely, the young man isn't reinventing the wheel, he's not claiming to be avante garde like Bowie, for example. He is what he is, a talented musician with some very good lyrics (spotted with occasional mediocrity, that's inevitable), in fact he is probably a poet.

And as someone who seems to have begun his career busking for change in the Rain on Grafton Street, it's marvelous to see what he's acheived.

Haha all these lads began busking and nobodies ever seen them busk. Other buskers won’t know them. They didn’t begin at a school for performing arts and definitely don’t have family in the business. Just bought a guitar in a second hand shop and started busking in grafton street. Simon Cowell spotted him on his way into brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

I absolutely wish the guy the best. I really do. I'm a musician, playing in a band and I know how hard it is. I know how hard it is to write, perform, record. How long the process is etc. He can write a song musically and lyrically of course.

Its not my cup of tea but if he's feeling it then fantastic.

To me it's that theres a glut of these "samey" sounding singers that I referenced earlier.

Its likewise with Irish bands. I can't tell if it's Kodaline, Picture this or the Academic I'm hearing on the radio. All sound the same. Lauded by 2fm and Today FM all day long while bands like Fontaines DC, Girl Band etc don't get a look in.

Granted Fontaines ain't reinventing the wheel either but at least they've got fu'cking spirit. Girl Band taking the Jesus and Mary Chain and ramping it up by 100. At least this sh+t is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was never much into singer-songwriter types. I think you have to be really into the lyrics of their songs because the music itself is not generally the kind you would listen to an instrumental version of. I get that it's supposed to be from the heart and more intimate or something, but even when I was a teenaged girl it wasn't much to my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

kowloon wrote: »
    I was never much into singer-songwriter types. I think you have to be really into the lyrics of their songs because the music itself is not generally the kind you would listen to an instrumental version of. I get that it's supposed to be from the heart and more intimate or something, but even when I was a teenaged girl it wasn't much to my taste.

Exactly ! Lyrics are mostly ****e anyway. (unless yer Nick Cave). The music sucks you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Exactly ! Lyrics are mostly ****e anyway. (unless yer Nick Cave). The music sucks you in.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. Bob Dylan, Nick Cave and the like were singer songwriters. The Ed Sheeran generation are pop artists singing acousticy songs they may have wrote.

Even acoustic seems to have a different meaning these days too. Acoustic set with a synth and a loop peddle. But I’m not with it anymore so let them at it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just listening now.

"Rome" is fierce stuff altogether. Great voice. I wish he had a stronger Dublin accent though.
    My children were born in Crumlin and don't have Dub-el-in accents, they don't sound like they've wrenched their vocal cords through their inner notions aka D4loike accent either.
    Its likewise with Irish bands. I can't tell if it's Kodaline, Picture this or the Academic I'm hearing on the radio. All sound the same. Lauded by 2fm and Today FM all day long while bands like Fontaines DC, Girl Band etc don't get a look in.
    I disagree. They all sound very different from one another.
    Kodaline are rather good, The Academic are great, Picture This make me mostly cringe, Fontaines DC I don't really get the appeal and I don't know if I've ever heard Girl Band( are they boys or girls even?) And I have the radio on almost all day long, and I do change the channel too.
    It's good we don't all like/dislike the same music, how bloody boring would that be?

Dermot Kennedy has a huge fan base, he's popular throughout Europe and the US, it's no wonder this album is a best seller, it's been highly anticipated. It's on repeat play in my car, and it's really worth listening to.
    It's good to see talent and hard work being recognised.

My children were born in Crumlin and don't have Dub-el-in accents, they don't sound like they've wrenched their vocal cords through their inner notions aka D4loike accent either.

I disagree. They all sound very different from one another.
    Kodaline are rather good, The Academic are great, Picture This make me mostly cringe, Fontaines DC I don't really get the appeal and I don't know if I've ever heard Girl Band( are they boys or girls even?) And I have the radio on almost all day long, and I do change the channel too.
    It's good we don't all like/dislike the same music, how bloody boring would that be?

Dermot Kennedy has a huge fan base, he's popular throughout Europe and the US, it's no wonder this album is a best seller, it's been highly anticipated. It's on repeat play in my car, and it's really worth listening to.
    It's good to see talent and hard work being recognised.

1. That's kind of how I talk. I'm from Beaumont which I suppose is a neutral area in terms of affluence.
    2. I love Fontaines DC, Girl Band and The Murder Capital, but I also like Kodaline, Picture This, The Academic and I'm really fond of Little Hours.
    3. I personally think Without Fear is a pretty good record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 TheRodgers

i know i am old now because i have no idea what music is popular today i miss the real mtv that was about music and not reality tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The people who say they've never heard of him obviously don't listen to the radio because he's been all over it the last six months or so

My first thought after hearing one of his songs is that he was a reject from Mumford and Sons who'd gone out on his own and his other songs have done very little to change that view, but hey ho, he's found success and fair play to him I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Pretty much in the same mould as Ed Sheeran. Not my thing at all but fair play to him if he's making it.

Irish DJ's seem to latch on to certain artists. Eoghan McDermott and his creepy fascination with Picture This. Ian Dempsey with first Kodaline and the Academic and now Dermot Kennedy.

I presume its payola. Maybe not with McDermott. Apparently he went and got Picture This tattoos....not weird at all Eoghan.

McDermott is obsessed with trying to look like he's buddies with celebs. He's up Niall Horans hole.

I absolutely wish the guy the best. I really do. I'm a musician, playing in a band and I know how hard it is. I know how hard it is to write, perform, record. How long the process is etc. He can write a song musically and lyrically of course.

Its not my cup of tea but if he's feeling it then fantastic.

To me it's that theres a glut of these "samey" sounding singers that I referenced earlier.

Granted Fontaines ain't reinventing the wheel either but at least they've got fu'cking spirit. Girl Band taking the Jesus and Mary Chain and ramping it up by 100. At least this sh+t is interesting.

The thing is it's not how good you are that decides whether you make it or not, it's who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The people who say they've never heard of him obviously don't listen to the radio because he's been all over it the last six months or so

My first thought after hearing one of his songs is that he was a reject from Mumford and Sons who'd gone out on his own and his other songs have done very little to change that view, but hey ho, he's found success and fair play to him I suppose

That's the Lumineers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised people listen to the radio these days

He is from Rathcoole but was a decent enough footballer with Crumlin united.

His songwriting is fantastic, there was a recent interview with (i thin the lead singer from Korn) who recognized his songwriting ability as the best he has heard in years, if i remember the song was "an evening i will not forget" which is about 5 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

First Irish act to top the UK album chart in nearly 20 years now. Hozier has never had an album higher than #3 there.

Nope. U2 did, in:

2004 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    2009 - No Line on the Horizon

The Script, did in:

2017 - Freedom Child
    2014 - No Sound without Silence
    2010 - Science and Faith

First solo Irish artist

Music nowadays is more about who you know and how you're marketed rather than talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Lot of negativity on here. The guy has been grafting it for years. He has worked his way into the position he is in now and fair play to him. I've listened to the entire album and while it is not my type of music it is certainly well crafted and delivered music.

I'm sure there is plenty more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Saw him play the Ruby Sessions in Doyles a few years ago and thought he was great. Fair play to him.

fitzparker wrote: »
    He is from Rathcoole but was a decent enough footballer with Crumlin united.

His songwriting is fantastic, there was a recent interview with (i thin the lead singer from Korn) who recognized his songwriting ability as the best he has heard in years, if i remember the song was "an evening i will not forget" which is about 5 years old.

"Der Moth Kennedy" he called him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

debok wrote: »
    Some bitterness in Ireland. Like how are we known around the world as friendly people. The cool lads saying who is he? How do they still think that's a thing. Just say fair play. Saying scobie head on him and miserably music yet they have have never seen or heard of him. Great nation of people when we are in another country. Same twats will be at his concerts somewhere foreign waving an Irish flag.

Actually I think your post is the most unfriendly post in the thread.

How about relax a bit?

I hate the way Irish people are so quick to play the begrudger card. Someone felt the need to start this thread, other people don't really have an interest in pop music and UK charts. They're entitled to mention that. People are also entitled to say they don't like an Irish person's music, it's not begrudging to say that, it's personal taste that everyone is entitled to.

Personally I have no interest, fair play to him and all, I'm sure he's talented but it's a long long time since I heard any chart music that I like and I doubt he will be much different. I could seek out some of his songs and have a listen but I probably won't. For me personally, chart success does not equal good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

saffron22 wrote: »
    Lot of negativity on here. The guy has been grafting it for years. He has worked his way into the position he is in now and fair play to him. I've listened to the entire album and while it is not my type of music it is certainly well crafted and delivered music.

I'm sure there is plenty more to come.

Is there a lot of negativity? Or just some people saying they don't like his music?

I don't think the latter is negative. If you're a musician who's been grafting it for years then I'm sure you're used to encountering disinterest so I'd say he's doing ok, no need to worry about how people feel about him on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Great Album.

What Have I Done, playing on repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Fair play to him! Loving his song 'All My Friends' at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I had to Google him.

Advertisement