Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average dublin docklands tenants salary.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Addle wrote: »
    Well I'm a public sector employee so that kind of money is alien to me!

You're joking aren't ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

What benefits do non contractors get?

When times are bad, a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Three quarters of them don't need to worry about deposits or mortgages. Cash buyers.

The average asking price was €531,595 and the average selling price ended around 2.3 per cent higher. While build-to-rent is taking off in the area, 47 per cent of buyers last year were owner occupiers while cash was used to buy in three quarters of the transactions. The majority of sellers were landlords leaving the market, Mr Reilly said.

That's the bit that doesn't make sense to me and should have been explained by the journalist. Firstly, given the age profile, regardless of salary, how can there be so many owner occupier cash purchases. Secondly, why are landlords leaving the market? Sale prices are suppressed, and the rental yield is much higher than other parts of the country. Also, given the makeup of the tenants, there would be very few problem tenancies.

Beasty wrote: »
    TBH with the current pace of change i suspect many of those IT jobs won't exist in another decade. That's probably the case with many professions which will benefit/suffer from automation. Plumbers and the like may though be like gold dust

I'm not saying salaries will equate but there are relatively few going into manual professions buy many of those jobs will remain even.if a lot of the tasks can be automated

I don't think these IT jobs will be replaced by automation!
    They are high level programming, project management, sys admin, highly skilled jobs that can't be automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

I can't afford **** so from my selfish perspective I can't wait for the economy to hit the floor again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

NSAman wrote: »
    New York has everything on your doorstep.

It has a functioning subway, you do not need a car in that city and can rent if ever needed.

It also has amenities in most apartments, gyms etc... not so much in Dublin.

The Docklands is absolutely over priced for what it is. The standard of apartments is ok, but for what yo are paying there is nothing on the City that is New York, either from an amenity point of view, or cultural, or dining, or entertainment, .....

Rents in New York can be outrageous, but they can also be affordable. They compare to what is on offer in Dublin in a similar way.... Docklands average is 3500-4k for a two bed... thats $4000 - $4600 that will get you something decent there.

There is no way the average rent in the docklands is that amount.

Is the northside part of the docklands being counted in this?

From what I can see on daft its around 2,500/month for a 2 bed which is double of what it really should be (and is double of what it was only 3 years ago by the way) so this 3,500/4,000 sounds miles off to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

D3V!L wrote: »
    Hahahaha where did you get that from ??

From their own statistics he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

dotsman wrote: »
    That's the bit that doesn't make sense to me and should have been explained by the journalist. Firstly, given the age profile, regardless of salary, how can there be so many owner occupier cash purchases. Secondly, why are landlords leaving the market? Sale prices are suppressed, and the rental yield is much higher than other parts of the country. Also, given the makeup of the tenants, there would be very few problem tenancies.

Might be previous owner occupiers who were finally out of negative equity, weren't those apartments going for around €500K at the height of the boom?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't think these IT jobs will be replaced by automation!
    They are high level programming, project management, sys admin, highly skilled jobs that can't be automated.
    These jobs can disappear more quickly than they appeared in the first place. Yes there will still be roles at very senior levels carried on by humans, but digitisation is starting to take over in a lot of areas. I think we will finds the number of opportunities in these areas will diminish, with more people chasing fewer jobs. Those in manual professions though will be in higher demand as the population has generally upskilled in recent years

Many of those roles that are not automated will be farmed out to cheaper locations. Indeed in my business that's already happening. Flexible working will mean people can work from home. The High Street is starting to show signs of wilting, and will follow what's currently happening in the UK. The work environment will be very different to today (and today is very different to what it was 15 years ago, which was itself very different to when I started working in the early 80s), and certainly not as "city-centric" as it has become recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

TBH with the current pace of change i suspect many of those IT jobs won't exist in another decade. That's probably the case with many professions which will benefit/suffer from automation. Plumbers and the like may though be like gold dust

I'm not saying salaries will equate but there are relatively few going into manual professions buy many of those jobs will remain even.if a lot of the tasks can be automated

It’s the software folk who will be doing the automation software.

• Advertisement

These jobs can disappear more quickly than they appeared in the first place. Yes there will still be roles at very senior levels carried on by humans, but digitisation is starting to take over in a lot of areas. I think we will finds the number of opportunities in these areas will diminish, with more people chasing fewer jobs. Those in manual professions though will be in higher demand as the population has generally upskilled in recent years

Many of those roles that are not automated will be farmed out to cheaper locations. Indeed in my business that's already happening. Flexible working will mean people can work from home. The High Street is starting to show signs of wilting, and will follow what's currently happening in the UK. The work environment will be very different to today (and today is very different to what it was 15 years ago, which was itself very different to when I started working in the early 80s), and certainly not as "city-centric" as it has become recently

With automation - agreed that will happen a lot more - but for mundane tasks like data entry , I can't see automation taking over programming, or at least if it does new jobs will be created out of this.

But what I would worry more about is your 2nd point jobs going to 3rd world countries to save more money.

That could be a f*cking disaster.
    I'd be on my arse on the street!

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Bevanda10

People overestimate the intelligence of artificial intelligence.

It’s the software folk who will be doing the automation software.

Exactly, even QA was thought to be gone as a lot of QA is automated now - but manual QA is still essential, and of course former QA manual testers are now upskilling to automate using code.

But still, the job relocating to India is always a worry.

Bevanda10 wrote: »

It's excellent .... to a point.
    Then it breaks down and doesn't look like they will make a breakthrough anytime soon.

Hope it stays that way.

We don't want this to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I can't afford **** so from my selfish perspective I can't wait for the economy to hit the floor again.

Is your job recession proof?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bevanda10 wrote: »

Aye! there's nothing like the old "sniff" test:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dotsman wrote: »

I don't get the figures either unless the data only came from someone only dealing with high end property.

But you do see a lot of non Irish professionals in the area. You also see a lot of Irish but I think a lot of them commute. You also see a lot of high end cars.

LL leave because the risks and losses are too high from overholding. The legislation is stacked against the LL in any dispute. It's easier to invest in a REIT or something else. Also the Govt don't want landlords, and neither does anyone else. There's more legislation due that will make it even harder for LLs. I expect there will be a lot more leaving this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its not just the googles and facebooks which pay salaries like that there are a lot of low key financial institutions, French and German banks and so on in Dublin that pay very well and as a bonus do not have the america corporate culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lots of aircraft leasing and financing work goes on down there as well. They are paid well north of 200k a year.

Lots of aircraft leasing and financing work goes on down there as well. They are paid well north of 200k a year.

And I expect there are a few CEOs on seven figure salaries.

If you have one person on €1m per year and twenty on €70k (Which isn't particularly high for Dublin) then you have an average of around €114,000.

it only takes a few very very high earners who have a big house in the country and an apartment in the Docklands for use during the week and suddenly you have a very skewed average earnings figure.

Given the number of big companies headquartered there, having ten people on seven figure salaries is highly likely I would guess.

Don't forget this figure came from an estate agent as well and as we all know, estate agents will come up with any sensationalist bull**** to drive up prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder is it nature of the salaries in the dock lands, finance, IT, skewing salary expectations for graduates or even in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Aegir wrote: »
    ...Don't forget this figure came from an estate agent as well and as we all know, estate agents will come up with any sensationalist bull**** to drive up prices.

Exactly. Especially in a market likely at its peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

CucaFace wrote: »
    There is no way the average rent in the docklands is that amount.

Is the northside part of the docklands being counted in this?

From what I can see on daft its around 2,500/month for a 2 bed which is double of what it really should be (and is double of what it was only 3 years ago by the way) so this 3,500/4,000 sounds miles off to me.

Simple..look up daft.ie and see what is for rent....

Advertisement