Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average dublin docklands tenants salary.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Not a particularly high salary for an experienced IT developer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There’s a lot of suits in the IFSC area. Around GCD not so much.

Exactly I can count on one hand how many times I've not worn jeans this past year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Not hard to work it out.
    Who do you know that could afford 2,500 never mind 3,500 but the over 4k mark.
    I would say with Brexit it could get even worse.
    I would love a crash though where the hedge funds get burnt.
    I don't think they own hedges that could get burnt.
    But I'm no finance expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Stheno wrote: »

Average. Not median.

The average software engineer in Facebook, Irish hired, is on about 50-60k a year, stays for two year contract, through Crystal Equation or CPL or one of those recruiting firms.

There's an "in" and "out" culture for these companies.

It isn't Irish natives being paid this money.

It's lads they brought in from abroad. Yet another reason to be skeptical of the so called economic recovery that we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

I can tell you that it is Irish natives being paid this money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

listermint wrote: »
    So basically what I said. They'd have to work their ballax off and weekends too.

Your making it out like they're are making handy money off over charging callouts.

Which is basically... Waffle.

And I'm qualified as neither trade

Four or five jobs is a mornings work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

kneemos wrote: »

It certainly isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not unless they have a transporter. I doubt if plumbers can get 4 jobs a day done on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If only.

And small jobs are a pain in the hole. Big, multiday jobs are infinitely more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

italodisco wrote: »
    My best mate is a plumber, I did his books for him in 2017 and he put 125k through them, you can be sure there was at least another 50k not going through them.

€125 of labour for him or is that turnover including materials?

• Advertisement

Not unless they have a transporter. I doubt if plumbers can get 4 jobs a day done on average.

Any time the plumber calls here for fixing a leak or whatever he's gone within forty minutes.

amcalester wrote: »
    The real crime is that the REITs who own those apartments aren’t paying much tax on their income.

This, but whisht up out of that with yourself. Corporate welfare ftw. But, yes, this being After Hours where were we: dole scroungers, Travellers and all those social welfare parasites!

If only.

And small jobs are a pain in the hole. Big, multiday jobs are infinitely more profitable.

Would have thought the hourly rate was much higher on the small jobs.
    Call out charge plus parts and labor. Probably works out at over seventy or eighty quid per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mad money to be made in Dublin to be fair if you are involved in Fintech or IT. And they are crying out for people which is pushing wages up.

Get up skilling people for a slice of the pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

But what about the homeless, and the hospital waiting lists?!?!?!? It's a fukkin disc race.

Housing Jacinta and her gang of Beyoncés in the most expensive rental properties of the city is not really a sensible use of taxpayer's money, now is it?

italodisco wrote: »
    My best mate is a plumber, I did his books for him in 2017 and he put 125k through them, you can be sure there was at least another 50k not going through them.

In my experience of tradesmen and professionals in the building industry "at least €50k" is really, really understating how much of their money is based on tax evasion/crime. You do not have to go to Greece to find a massive black economy. Keeping this reality quiet suits everybody except the PAYE taxpayers who have no choice but to step in to subsidise the state for these lost taxes from the self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Would have thought the hourly rate was much higher on the small jobs.
    Call out charge plus parts and labor. Probably works out at over seventy or eighty quid per hour.

Big multi day jobs, travelling to 1 site, being able to charge for every last thing, and a fair guarantee you'll get paid within 30 days vs a heap of travelling between jobs, working til all hours to try and fit in enough jobs, people not being home, a job runs over time and the rest of the week you're getting grief,and chasing payment from a bunch of different people, who all want to get stuff knocked off the bill.

That'll be option 1 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

If they're contractors, assuming 220 work days a year, that's only €530(+/-) a day. most of the contract people in my place are on between €550 & €850 a day.

Lowest paid is €360 a day & the highest is €925, occasionally we'll bring in people for three or six months on up to €2,000 a day.

Considering they pay their own taxes *not very many with a decent accountant) & get zero benefits, it's only ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I lived in a kip in the Docklands during the depth of the recession. The rent on our two bed was €975 per month. I cannot even imagine what the rent is now.

And honestly, it wasn’t the nicest place to live. Sure, it’s convenient for all the people working for companies there. But it was pretty sterile and dead at night. The amenities weren’t fantastic either. And, like our place, much of the apartment stock was bogstandard to downright kippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Call out a plumber and it's a hundred quid at least for any kind of little job.
    Four or five of those per day and they're in that bracket.

With travel & traffic you’re lucky to get 3 of those jobs a day!

• Advertisement

With travel & traffic you’re lucky to get 3 of those jobs a day!

You could cross the country in three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I was only thinking the other day that I would love to see what the place was like before, I can't remember it at all.

The clip is mad, there are no people around at all. Except the feral kids. No adults, anywhere. Had many moved out of the flats by then, or were they working in the docklands or what? Not even chung wans with buggies or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

That sounds about right.
    Average salary in Google is about €140k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Look up rents in NYC and then come back to me!!

New York has everything on your doorstep.

It has a functioning subway, you do not need a car in that city and can rent if ever needed.

It also has amenities in most apartments, gyms etc... not so much in Dublin.

The Docklands is absolutely over priced for what it is. The standard of apartments is ok, but for what yo are paying there is nothing on the City that is New York, either from an amenity point of view, or cultural, or dining, or entertainment, .....

Rents in New York can be outrageous, but they can also be affordable. They compare to what is on offer in Dublin in a similar way.... Docklands average is 3500-4k for a two bed... thats $4000 - $4600 that will get you something decent there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

The salaries are good, but in Big Tech culture it's a race to the bottom. You could have a well paid career, but one would be wise to get a cheap room to rent, and save like hell toward a deposit for your own place. Because the second that these companies get a whiff of a more favourable third world working environment, they will leave Ireland. Everybody is entitled to do what they want with their money........but if I were on that kind of salary in IT or Business in this day and age......I would be treating it like a Gold Rush......living as frugally as possible while saving heavily given the reality that thanks to corporate globalists my job could be offshored in the morning.

Anyways, those prices for Dublin Docklands are a joke. If we had some kind of area akin to Singapore or some cities on the continent that have developed similiar waterfont brownfield sites with high quality architecture, highrise and vibrant street life.....then it would be would be worth one's hard earned cash.

Dublin Docklands is a joke though. Stumpy boring buildings and desolate and lifeless streets. You'd have more fun living in Calgary or Canberra.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TBH with the current pace of change i suspect many of those IT jobs won't exist in another decade. That's probably the case with many professions which will benefit/suffer from automation. Plumbers and the like may though be like gold dust

I'm not saying salaries will equate but there are relatively few going into manual professions buy many of those jobs will remain even.if a lot of the tasks can be automated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

OU812 wrote: »
    If they're contractors, assuming 220 work days a year, that's only €530(+/-) a day. most of the contract people in my place are on between €550 & €850 a day.

Lowest paid is €360 a day & the highest is €925, occasionally we'll bring in people for three or six months on up to €2,000 a day.

Considering they pay their own taxes *not very many with a decent accountant) & get zero benefits, it's only ok.

What benefits do non contractors get?

€550 to €850 a day is far from only ok, €2000 a day is nothing short of exceptional!

Even scraping by on a mere €360 a day is doing quite well, it's well over double the average salary and roughly three quarters more than the average wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What benefits do non contractors get?

Sick pay, holidays, pension contributions, subsidised training, insurance etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sure everyone is rich again, the boom is back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

deandean wrote: »
    That sounds about right.
    Average salary in Google is about €140k.

Hahahaha where did you get that from ??

Advertisement