Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Found this today. Spreadsheet showing the cut off times for the various waves/corrals for the last 12 Boston marathons.

Suppose a runner started in Wave 2 Corral 4, that is with the 3.21-3.23 people and he wanted to run with a target time of sub 3.10 or even faster , would that be possible or would he be better to run fast somewhere else and just cruise around and enjoy the day? It looks congested on the go pro videos

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Suppose a runner started in Wave 2 Corral 4, that is with the 3.21-3.23 people and he wanted to run with a target time of sub 3.10 or even faster , would that be possible or would he be better to run fast somewhere else and just cruise around and enjoy the day? It looks congested on the go pro videos

Of course it’s possible - I’ve never found congestion to be a problem at Boston. The course and weather conditions are what usually lead to a slower marathon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

You've 90 days to start thinking about if you want the jacket...

https://www.adidas.com/us/boston_marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

You've 90 days to start thinking about if you want the jacket...

https://www.adidas.com/us/boston_marathon

I think I will wait to do the touchy feely thing on the jacket at the expo. I heard that this years jacket is a lot thinner than previous years, more like a windstopper. Might not be great value at $110.

Acceptance card received in post today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Acceptance card received in post today.

Yup

**** just got real.....real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Thinking about the logistics for this years race. Last year i parked in an underground car park and walked to the bag drop. I am going to try avoid the bag drop this year as it was a disaster last year trying to get your bag. They organise the bags by number and qualifying times hence why the q is massive as for each tent they have all similar qualifying times. Was waiting half an hour in the freezing cold and rain to get my bag. If you are driving or are staying close avoid the bag drop.

Thinking about the logistics for this years race. Last year i parked in an underground car park and walked to the bag drop. I am going to try avoid the bag drop this year as it was a disaster last year trying to get your bag. They organise the bags by number and qualifying times hence why the q is massive as for each tent they have all similar qualifying times. Was waiting half an hour in the freezing cold and rain to get my bag. If you are driving or are staying close avoid the bag drop.

Course preview
    https://youtu.be/TEoWRSIZB4Q

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Has anybody ever attended the post marathon drinks in Fenway? If so, is it worthwhile?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Has anybody ever attended the post marathon drinks in Fenway? If so, is it worthwhile?

The ticket is free so no harm having the option to go.

I got one for myself and the misses. Just gonna make the most of the experience while I am there.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    The ticket is free so no harm having the option to go.

I got one for myself and the misses. Just gonna make the most of the experience while I am there.

Cool, Im thinking the same as you. I will have two extras travelling with me..... although it might be 2020 rather than 2019 at this stage. Sidelined with a niggle since the start of new year.....:( #limpy :pac:

Cool, Im thinking the same as you. I will have two extras travelling with me..... although it might be 2020 rather than 2019 at this stage. Sidelined with a niggle since the start of new year.....:( #limpy :pac:

2020 Is a long wait. Hopefully you shake it off!! At least with the after party you can tick Fenway Park Visit off the List.

Thanks. My intention was always to run it for fun rather than race it so we will see what happens. Not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out for me this year.

How are you getting on with your training? Weather looks nippy over there at the minute.

Thanks. My intention was always to run it for fun rather than race it so we will see what happens. Not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out for me this year.

How are you getting on with your training? Weather looks nippy over there at the minute.

I wish it was next week. Have a 22 and 3x20's done. I don't mind nippy once its not like last year, it looks a real struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

It would be great to see her back and running to her best. That said, if we're being brutally honest 2.31 (her PB) is more sub-elite than elite these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

Going to do the same - $30 is certainly the cheapest part of the trip so far!

Nice running. 20 this weekend and Kinvara full then weekend after, then it's 19, 20, & 21 for the next 3 weekends - the ready-ist I'll ever be!

Itziger wrote: »
    It would be great to see her back and running to her best. That said, if we're being brutally honest 2.31 (her PB) is more sub-elite than elite these days.

If the weather was like last year she could do well. she'd be well used to running in the wind and rain here :) Otherwise she will be happy to PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

If the weather was like last year she could do well. she'd be well used to running in the wind and rain here :) Otherwise she will be happy to PB.
    I was thinking the same thing meself. With weather like last year's she'd be in with a shout! Podium anyway.

• Advertisement

Course will suit her down to the ground. Boston course like running a cross country. Steep downhills...short uphills :D

Bib/Corral's been released.

Wave breaks: Wave 1, 2:19:40 to 3:07:27; Wave 2, 3:07:28 to 3:27:17; Wave 3, 3:27:18 to 3:56:54; Wave 4, 3:56:55 and up

Its getting more real by the day now!

Wave 1, Corral 2 for me. Unfortunately I will be watching on the App, I have barely completed 26.2 miles in 2019 so far due to a knee issue. Ah well, next year....

How is everybody else getting on?

Wave 2 Corral 6. Looking forward to it. I hope the weather is better than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Wave 2 corral 7 for me. The fast guys are getting faster pushing people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Wave 1, Corral 5 for me. Unfortunately I've hardly run over the past 3 weeks because of a chest infection and just started on a new course of antibiotics today. My training has gone to sh!t. Will be relying on muscle memory to get me around at this rate. I'll just he aiming to forget times and enjoy the occasion at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

1/6 for me - furthest back since my 1st Boston. One benefit is it’s a shorter walk from the athletes’ village.

Wave 2 Corral 1 for me. Training hampered this past weekend due to a rugby trip to Cardiff. However felt back to normal this morning on an aerobic 8 miles. Have had to change flights due to the grounding of the Boeing Max planes with Norwegian. Flying direct to Logan now with Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Wave 2 Corral 1 for me. Training hampered this past weekend due to a rugby trip to Cardiff. However felt back to normal this morning on an aerobic 8 miles. Have had to change flights due to the grounding of the Boeing Max planes with Norwegian. Flying direct to Logan now with Aer Lingus.

I'm flying to Providence as well but I haven't made alternative arrangements yet

Advertisement