Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf things that annoy you

Options
  • 30-05-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭

To get easy ones out of the way:

Playing poorly
    Bad weather
    Slow play/people being blatant and not leaving you through when it would make sense to
    Rude playing partners

Inspiration for the thread for me though:

Clubs not having fixture lists on their websites/social media etc. There was a medal comp in my home club last weekend and I wasn’t aware. Friend only copped it when up there

Similarly, competition results not being posted on coin website/social media. Again, very annoying

One more then (noticed at Charleville where I’m not a member):

Lack of signage to where next tee box is
    Lack of info on tee box - Stroke index of hole and distance (don’t always use the watch)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Clubs/people getting too hung up on dress code

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Losing pro v 1s but only finding ultras.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

OEP wrote: »
    Clubs/people getting too hung up on dress code

Jesus actually ya that reminds me when I was a Junior there were certain members that were genuinely ignorant for the sake of it. Pretty rotten experience at times.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus actually ya that reminds me when I was a Junior there were certain members that were genuinely ignorant for the sake of it. Pretty rotten experience at times.

I was at a junior open at another course and was told to put rain pants over my jeans or I couldn't play. It wasn't a fancy course either.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Cheats,handicap minders and slow players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

slow play

chronogolf app

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have an irrational dislike for people using range finders. In my experience most users are extremely slow and then when they dont have line of sight they walking out to the fairway and then zapping. Be easier to just look at the 150yard market that they standing beside

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Too many things to list obviously. Still play it. It seems I like to torture myself

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Playing partners who say good shot no matter where the ball ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

People who make no effort whatsoever and moan about dress codes. I’d be fairly relaxed about most stuff but Jeans and rugby/GAA jerseys have no place of a golf course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

Those who take it too seriously. They seem sound until they step onto the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Club councils that run the club like part of North Korea and wonder why nobody wants to join the committee.

People who make no effort whatsoever and moan about dress codes. I’d be fairly relaxed about most stuff but Jeans and rugby/GAA jerseys have no place of a golf course.

Calling a 13 year old out on wearing jeans is a bit much in my opinion. The pros are wearing hoodies now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

OEP wrote: »
    Calling a 13 year old out on wearing jeans is a bit much in my opinion. The pros are wearing hoodies now

Hoodies are sports gear and golf hoodies have been around for years. Jeans are not.

It wasn’t aimed at your post but tbf you were 13. Should not have known better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Members calling young players who are only starting out bandits, especially last year when a load of young fellas were playing every day but with no comps so when the comps came back there was a load of 45-48 points.
    I kept saying that nobody putting in 45 points in a midweek comp is a bandit but there's no talking to some of them, one young fella at my old club took it pretty bad, got a load of abuse on the clubs Facebook page and never went back to golf, real pity as all he did was put in his honest score.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

I'm a huge fan of golf but I don't think I'll ever get past the gear, it's so terrible!

Most other sports have great gear at this point, hockey, running, tannis all lovely. Golf gear just needs to get better.

People who use rangefinders slowing up the game, then inevitably making a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I'm a huge fan of golf but I don't think I'll ever get past the gear, it's so terrible!

Most other sports have great gear at this point, hockey, running, tannis all lovely. Golf gear just needs to get better.

People who use rangefinders slowing up the game, then inevitably making a mess of it.

To be fair, you can buy some really nice golf gear, unfortunately it just doesn’t look really nice on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I love the golf gear. Some quality stuff available at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lads who get so angry on the course that it makes you uncomfortable

Lads that give up halfway through a round when they're not playing well and sulk and/or take the piss the rest of the way. I once played with a lad that had a few bad holes so he started putting and chipping with his driver for the remaining 8 holes. In the same round he threw one of his clubs up a tree so myself and the other guy playing with us had to help him get it down. It took a good 5 minutes. Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

People that tee up ball very close to the line ... with some tee markers it’s hard to see if it’s ahead of the line .... some players just look at one of the makers in front of them and ignore the one behind... I do not like having to ask players to step back a little....but it gets in my head and I have to... I always tee it up a foot or two behind the line .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Players who expect anyone ahead of them to let them play through. So what if someone takes a few minutes to play a hole. It’s not Augusta and you’re not McIlroy so get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

People that tee up ball very close to the line ... with some tee markers it’s hard to see if it’s ahead of the line .... some players just look at one of the makers in front of them and ignore the one behind... I do not like having to ask players to step back a little....but it gets in my head and I have to... I always tee it up a foot or two behind the line .

That's one thing I won't get bothered about. It won't make much difference on a 400 yard hole etc

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Lists about things that annoy people golfing when we should be just delighted to play again after all the lock downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

People playing worse than they can to protect their handicap.
    This is the reason i quit the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

The worst for me is playing in a competition and someone spots a rule infringement and doesn’t say anything at the time but waits until the end of the round to bring it up. One particular incident I’ll always remember was a Sunday competition where one guy asked the other that we were playing with to move his marker one putter head either side. He did so, the guy putted and hit it 6 feet past. He took another 3 putts and then took the flag off the other guy while he put down his ball and took his marker up. He saw what happened and said nothing. He waited until the cards were being signed after the round and brought it up in the most sneaky and condescending way possible. “That’s not your score. Think about why it isn’t”. The poor fella nearly died when he said he never moved his marker back to its original spot. He saw it at the time and never said a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Motivator wrote: »
    The worst for me is playing in a competition and someone spots a rule infringement and doesn’t say anything at the time but waits until the end of the round to bring it up. One particular incident I’ll always remember was a Sunday competition where one guy asked the other that we were playing with to move his marker one putter head either side. He did so, the guy putted and hit it 6 feet past. He took another 3 putts and then took the flag off the other guy while he put down his ball and took his marker up. He saw what happened and said nothing. He waited until the cards were being signed after the round and brought it up in the most sneaky and condescending way possible. “That’s not your score. Think about why it isn’t”. The poor fella nearly died when he said he never moved his marker back to its original spot. He saw it at the time and never said a word.

I’m angry after reading that, what a complete dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

I’m angry after reading that, what a complete dick.

yep. i feel like guys that act like that will get the karma they deserve eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Players who expect anyone ahead of them to let them play through. So what if someone takes a few minutes to play a hole. It’s not Augusta and you’re not McIlroy so get a life

nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to play a hole. if it's getting to the point where people playing through upsets you, why not just let them through, then relax and enjoy your round?

Hoodies are sports gear and golf hoodies have been around for years. Jeans are not.

It wasn’t aimed at your post but tbf you were 13. Should not have known better?

I know it wasn't aimed at me. I didn't have any golf trousers at the time.

Tracksuit pants are sports gear too but you're not supposed to wear them either. I could understand it for competitions but for casual rounds I don't see the need. It puts people off the game and especially for kids who cares. I personally prefer to wear the clothes now but I see people giving out about kids or young teenagers who are not wearing the proper clothes and I just think they should get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

People who get angry after a poor shot... there's a reason you play off (insert handicap here)!!

Advertisement