Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

A nice way to spend my afternoon whilst working from home! :D

I've worked from home twice this week - dont ask how I got the double decker into the back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I wasn't even supposed to go out today because I have a decent spin planned with some friends tomorrow. Anyway I got out of work early and the weather was class so thought Id go for a short one. Lessons learned from earlier in the week and I headed into the teeth of that East wind on the way out. Felt fairly strong but the evening was so nice I just kept going - ended up doing a lap of the Hill of Tara and back home.

Totaled 69k with 477 up @ 28kmph. Gonna be in trouble tomorrow I feel :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I've worked from home twice this week - dont ask how I got the double decker into the back garden
    i (genuinely) once convinced a colleague that some lads had stolen a luas by diverting the tracks into their back garden.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife has noticed that I got some sun today as there is a distinct line in my upper arms and thighs where my jersey and shorts ended. She's not impressed.
    I'm not sure if she gets rule #7!

Got out for an hour last night and seeing as an easterly was blowing I headed for a busy local climb and went all out for the KOM. The stars aligned and I took it by 2 seconds and then spent five minutes at the side of the road, lungs burning, metal in the mouth and convinced I was going to puke. Came round and snailed home happy.

32k @ 26kph with 500 climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5179597595

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Glorious day out there. Set out for naul via Garristown, however I've kind of forgotten some of the roads and forgot I'd be going through ardcath and nearly doubling back on myself. I though if be coming out near snowtown.

I ploughed on to snowtown anyway, did a loopand legs gave up a little after.

Stopped in ballyboughal for some anzac biscuits (tomorrow is anzac day) and headed home.

An absolute heap load of cyclists out. Great to see. One or 2 groups that should make efforts to look a bit less like a group though.

77kmph at 28kmph with 717 climbing.

I've a few days off next week so hoping the weather stays good as the legs are waking up.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Ljxlu76AIfb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

No spin today or all week due to back issues but heading up to Citywest with my wife, she's getting vaccine jab today. I was also able to register for mine today . Glorious weather for cycling albeit a bit windy ftom the east. Jealousy is a terrible thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4hrs with loads of wind that never materialised to a tailwind despite planning for it. Plenty out & about with a few groups that really should know better.

120km @ 30.2 avg with 1000m of up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Went bananas today and got as far as newbridge from blanchardstown, took a few wrong turns on the way home and struggled a fair bit with my shoulders and back as the bike I’m using is a bit small and I’m not very comfortable at all. I’m going to try borrow a better bike off a friend as my new bike is still 3 weeks away from delivery unfortunately but the weather today was unreal today and I’m sporting a nice colour and I even got plenty of hellos off the lads on the fast bikes so good day all round. 100kms round trip which is a massive step up for me

Wasn't out on the bike myself today as I had some fit to keep me busy but went for a nice walk this evening.
    However, between the walk and being out in the car twice, I was surprised to see loads of riders with base layers or jackets on. Today was scirchio - I cant understand how they were so overdressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Scorchio me ar$e! :)

I was out from 7am til 1.30pm, arm warmers, legs, baselayer, jersey and gilet and I never once wanted to shed anything. Warm in the direct sun alright but the chill in the air / wind never went away!

Or else it's just my old bones :o

Even my car was telling me at lunchtime that it was 17.5. Was seeing riders until around 6pm with the base layers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Was out around Dunboyne this morning lovely out but not always warm bit of a breeze so would have found a jersey a bit underdressed defo weather for shorts though .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Depends where you were and the direction you were going. I run warm so was in lighter kit than Fat Bloke, but it was only 5/6deg at Sally Gap xroads at 930 and there was a nip in the easterly.

Totaled 69k with 477 up @ 28kmph. Gonna be in trouble tomorrow I feel :pac:

yup I was in trouble! :o In fairness I only really struggled for the last 10k or so. We started early and was motoring well up around Johny Foxes, down to Enniskerry, Bray, Kiliney hill, Town and back to the starting point. Of all things a small kicker in Chapleizoid nearly beat me but legs were gone at that stage

Total of 101k with 927m up at 24km/hr

Home now post bath with a victory beer. Prob should take tomorrow off but the weather is sooo good.......

Wasn't out on the bike myself today as I had some fit to keep me busy but went for a nice walk this evening.
    However, between the walk and being out in the car twice, I was surprised to see loads of riders with base layers or jackets on. Today was scirchio - I cant understand how they were so overdressed.

I had a base layer and gilet. Always rather have too much than too little. It was lovely out, but the wind was still cool enough and seemed to like changing direction (or so it felt)

In fact. I never don't wear a base layer. Though I've very light ones for the summer.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had a base layer and gilet. Always rather have too much than too little. It was lovely out, but the wind was still cool enough and seemed to like changing direction (or so it felt)

In fact. I never don't wear a base layer. Though I've very light ones for the summer.

I had a T-shirt and cycling shorts under a pair of less hideous shorts! Left at 9am and never felt the cold but never really broke a sweat either so seemed to be a good balance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    last time i was out - weds evening - i was wearing bib shorts (the most recent boards iteration) and a reasonably light long sleeved btwin top. but my temperature tolderance seems to be several degrees below average.

For those saying it was cold today - the back of my neck, quads and arms would beg to differ. I got scalded and I was wearing factor 50 :eek::o

Doesn't need to be warm to get burned. In fact a lot of the worst sun damage is done in the early part of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

Went for a quick dart around this morning did 45k 400m elevation gain, that's kildare for you, 28km/h average which I'm happy with considering the head wind which seemed to be there the whole way round.

Met a group of about 20 from one of the clubs around, not drawing attention to themselves at all! No point getting excited over these things though. Better that than in a sheebeen looking at horse racing.

Had the shorts with a long sleeved jersey and needed every bit of it.

Later on one of the lads texted about going so off I went, short sleeves this time and roasting. Did 30km with 300m. We were slower going around, hes only getting back at it but suited me fine.

I made a big effort to stay at it this winter between indoor and getting out on dry days. Definitely paying off.

So 75km today, cool and windy in the morning but calmer and very warm later. All in a good day on the bike.

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I had a T-shirt and cycling shorts under a pair of less hideous shorts! Left at 9am and never felt the cold but never really broke a sweat either so seemed to be a good balance

If you don't like how cycling shorts look get yourself a decent pair of padded mtb shorts, you can get braces/suspenders for them so you don't need tie them at the waist or wear a belt. Super comfy and they'll look grand with a tshirt etc.

On the topic of base layers, I'd thoroughly recommend one Aldi still have loads left. It's one of those things you never knew you needed until you try one. It's not just for cold days either like others I wear them all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cracking day for a long ride. Did the Co Dublin perimeter in a sort of figure of 8 way today - 272kms with 2,400m climbing. I'm sore now - it has been a while.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5186241320

... Today was scirchio - I cant understand how they were so overdressed.
    It was 1 degree in Garristown this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Think you were spotted at Hazelhatch ? Were you in a boards.ie. kit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

If you don't like how cycling shorts look get yourself a decent pair of padded mtb shorts, you can get braces/suspenders for them so you don't need tie them at the waist or wear a belt. Super comfy and they'll look grand with a tshirt etc.

On the topic of base layers, I'd thoroughly recommend one Aldi still have loads left. It's one of those things you never knew you needed until you try one. It's not just for cold days either like others I wear them all year.

Same here. The UA ones I use offer added sun protection too

secman wrote: »
    Think you were spotted at Hazelhatch ? Were you in a boards.ie. kit ?
    Yup! (Just saw the other thread now).

Cheers folks I havnt a clue about base layers but will definitely try them out, have Aldi got them at the moment and is it something you wear under the like of a T-shirt?

Ta I had no idea such a thing exists but they sound like the exact thing I need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in my first Bellewstown spin yesterday.

Over to slane by Donore. Up that short sharp little hill at Fennor. Over through the Furze to Duleek back to the Bollies and over B-town from the West.

Then downhill all the way home to the sea.

Lovely to have the sun. But the light gilet was needed off the hill

Advertisement