Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Comments

Got out for 80k yesterday morning. Started out in frost and came home in glorious, warm sunshine. Very hard to get the gear choices right, but definitely needed the winter jacket for the first hour.

Rode with my brother and when we weren't chatting took a few turns, so the the first time I've been on someone's wheel in a year. 80k with 500 up @ 30.5kph.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

pretty quiet in here today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

adrian522 wrote: »

Officially a member of the wimp club - I did 70 mins on the Zwift :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep official rain check for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Does an hour on the turbo count for anything? (after a 5 hour run.... now that I think of it I only saw one cyclist if 5 hours of running on roads around Glencree, devil's elbow etc. Possibly a record low)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Did my old commute today. Deansgrange to just beyond Santry and back. About 40k. Marginally broke the speed limit along Sandymount with the NW wind but yet all the cars passed me:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Masseys and the Hellfire over lunch. Beautiful sunshine and sweltering on the way up followed by heavy hail, thunder and lightening and bloody freezing on the way back down. Also managed to land on my arse trying to corner too fast to get off the Coilte tracks onto a muddy forest track. No damage done and plenty more hail to wash the jacket on the way home. Not entirely convinced about May being the start of Summer :pac:

552274.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I went out at Margaret's, swords, Malahide, Sutton, Clontarf and Home. Knew it would be windy, so took my tank like tour de fer

The NW wind seemed to be swirling in every direction on my way from Sutton to Fairview and was a real slog and then like Smacl I got caught in some heavy hail in Griffith avenue. Was nearly home so ploughed on, but it hurt.

50km in just under 2 hours. Flat as a pancake, and faster than that bike would normally go

35k this evening. Don't think I've ever been so cold on a bike. The wind seemed to be in my face the whole time too. Went out in a long sleeve jersey with a t shirt underneath and with no gloves. Considered turning around a few times but got through it. Also nearly came off in a cross wind when reaching for a drink with no hands on the bike. Not one of my better spins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Got in 30k after work.
    Missed all the showers, the roads were even dry in places (and very wet in others)

One of those days when it always seems to be a headwind. But thoroughly enjoyed my hour and the chilli the missus had on the table after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sheltered in someone's yard for the first hail shower and finished my panini in the Naul when watching the next one. Thought I'd gotten away with it until I was hammered between St Margarets and Charlestown. Temperature went from 11 to 4 degrees, the paths were white with hail and the roads were flooded. Not too bad for the rest of the spin but lots of wet gear hanging up in the shed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we were driving through the naul just before 4 earlier and i had to slow right down because the road was covered in hailstones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sheltered in someone's yard for the first hail shower and finished my panini in the Naul when watching the next one. Thought I'd gotten away with it until I was hammered between St Margarets and Charlestown. Temperature went from 11 to 4 degrees, the paths were white with hail and the roads were flooded. Not too bad for the rest of the spin but lots of wet gear hanging up in the shed.

Similar enough experience here. Went to go out yesterday evening and broke the zip on my packable windproof so went with the full Winter jacket. Way too warm starting off but somewhere in the backroads heading towards Enniskerry the hail arrived and stayed for most of the spin home. Heavy enough at one point to give me a small cut on my lip and I was extremely glad of the heavier jacket, long legs, overshoes, full finger gloves and decent lights. Even then arrived home cold and wet. Bike on the other hand was sparkling, hail would appear to be nature's muc off. 34k with 420m of up and a new packable jacket ordered this morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've been busy in work this week and so hadn't managed to get out since Sunday. Managed to squeeze in time today to get time on the bike. In the end I clocked up 100km @ 29.5km/h with 464m so I'm happy with that :)
    It was cold out for the first hour but I persevered. Wore a long sleeved jersey and base layer but still felt the cold.
    Overtook a lad on a bike on the road passing Killeen Golf Club and was surprised 100m further on to see him getting a tow from me. Didn't mind - made my ego feel a bit better.

Hips are knackered now though!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5251500859

Got out for 45k last night. Two new lights and a luminous fitted sleeveless top as felt a bit exposed on some of the evening rides of late.

Went for a KOM on a 17 per cent short climb near home and got my gearing right and was three seconds ahead on the live segment, but alas when I got home I was one second behind the joint holders and only got a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Aw man. Beautiful 95k over the gap in the evening sun, 1900m climbing . Figured the weekend was going to be a bit of a washout so squeezed my weekend spin into Friday afternoon/evening. The light was gorgeous and the skies so clear, you could see for miles, would've been an absolutely crackin evening to the mast summit for the view. The roads were as quiet as I've ever seen them too. I'd do it again, I tells ya :). Get the weekend spin in before the weekend. I'm actually really looking forward to my first Saturday sleep in in years!

Came across the headiest and balliest of head the balls descending from the featherbeds. I'm in full early spring gear - long sleeve base layer, full length bib tights, and a pair of shorts over them, neck snood, long sleeve spring jacket, gloves, etc. Any nook or cranny not entirely insulated is starting to seep in that biting cold from the wind chill. This lad we passed, i swear I thought it was flesh coloured gear he was wearing but I nearly fell off the bike to see he was in a skimpy tri-style onesie, the top of which was really only like a singlet with little straps over the shoulders. What do lads be thinking? Honest to God. The poor lad, if he wasn't hypothermic by the Hellfire, and another 10 minutes freewheeling still to go :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

fat bloke wrote: »
    Aw man. Beautiful 95k over the gap in the evening sun, 1900m climbing . Figured the weekend was going to be a bit of a washout so squeezed my weekend spin into Friday afternoon/evening. The light was gorgeous and the skies so clear, you could see for miles, would've been an absolutely crackin evening to the mast summit for the view. The roads were as quiet as I've ever seen them too. I'd do it again, I tells ya :). Get the weekend spin in before the weekend. I'm actually really looking forward to my first Saturday sleep in in years!

Came across the headiest and balliest of head the balls descending from the featherbeds. I'm in full early spring gear - long sleeve base layer, full length bib tights, and a pair of shorts over them, neck snood, long sleeve spring jacket, gloves, etc. Any nook or cranny not entirely insulated is starting to seep in that biting cold from the wind chill. This lad we passed, i swear I thought it was flesh coloured gear he was wearing but I nearly fell off the bike to see he was in a skimpy tri-style onesie, the top of which was really only like a singlet with little straps over the shoulders. What do lads be thinking? Honest to God. The poor lad, if he wasn't hypothermic by the Hellfire, and another 10 minutes freewheeling still to go :eek::eek:

Suns out, guns out.

Over the Sally gap to Laragh and then the Wicklow gap and home, 103kms with 1233m climbed, wind was biting at times, but mostly sunny, great day,

Went out this evening for what was intended to be an easy going spin but I managed to get 45km done at 31km/h around Dunboyne, Kilcloon & Maynooth.
    Weather was lovely but cool. Still I had just a (boards) jersey on with no base layer and didn't feel cold.
    Had a prick of a driver overtake me at Intel with almost no room for him to do it. Despite his impatience, I still passed him at a set of lights and turned into my estate about 1km further just he was catching up again - enough time for me to look him in the eye with one of my fingers raised!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

53km out on the ebike today. Need to fit a new chainring to the road bike but had errands to run and a busy weekend ahead along with poor weather forecast so I took the ebike to get out while the weather was decent.

First time I've done more than 30km in at least a year (excluding my recent return to commuting and a 43km trip to meet a friend for coffee all with the ebike) It was nice just to be out and enjoy the day especially as I've been walking several days a week for 12 months, it's very repetitive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Looked at the forecast yesterday and kinda gave up on the day.
    Then the sun came out at lunch.

Hopped on the bike for a handy flat spin. Drogheda via Baltray to Clogherhead and home.
    Lovely breeze over by the sea. Stopped for coffee, which I rarely do.
    Lovely enjoyable spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Left blanchardstown at 10am yesterday as it was just a light drizzle and 10 minutes later it was a biblical downpour. First time I’ve gotten a good thorough soaking but I kept going and headed out through the city centre as far as rathfarnham for a coffee and then back home via tallaght and Lucan in the glorious sunshine and got nicely dried out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was a thread title change which was pleasant to make.

(note: coupon is only valid from midnight tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Left from Dun Laoghaire towards Bohernabreena reservoir with the option of either up over Kippure if feeling good or Cunard if I wanted a shorter spin.
    Wind was a lot more intense than anticipated. So ended up doing a loop of the water and home the same route. Did not fancy climbing into that headwind.
    Slow 52k with 870m of climbing.

Headed out this morning to complete my weekly distance and elevation targets. Decided I'd head up Howth with stop offs at my mams and at Galsnevin Cemetery.
    Made a judgement call before leaving on whether to wear a base layer or not - I didn't. I seemed to be the only one of thousands of cyclists out today not wrapped up but I wasn't cold (although the strong southerly wind wasnt nice).
    All in all, I managed 104km @ 27.8km/h with 458m with a load of PBs on Strava. Second century spin in four days so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

First time to climb Cunard and into a headwind. Left from Sandyford, out through Bohernebreena reservoir and on to Cunard. Back via Rochbrook. 38km, with 580m of climbing. A bit sketchy on the descent, with the wind and a bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Meant to head out for a 30 min short spin. Instead of taking the left on the route went straight ahead and did a 30km cycle loop from my house (towards Tuam, Corofin and home), just over 1 hour.

And I was half thinking of not going out at all, was close to finishing a book (Boy on Fire, about Nick Cave early days) but obviously feel good after the spin.

Strava

Got out last night for 42k. Was losing air quickly in the tubeless rear tyre and realised I had a problem with valve leaking. Wasn't far from home so went back and repaired. Thought about bailing but headed back out and felt great. Picked up two KOMs and a fifth on a brutal hill. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭vintcerf

just a friendly heads-up to folks that share strava activities.
    you can turn on privacy zones, here's a handy how to video that also mentions why you might want to do it.
    * I've no affiliation with the video creator and a quick google search for "Strava Privacy Zones" should also get you some good links.

• Advertisement

vintcerf wrote: »
    just a friendly heads-up to folks that share strava activities.
    you can turn on privacy zones, here's a handy how to video that also mentions why you might want to do it.
    * I've no affiliation with the video creator and a quick google search for "Strava Privacy Zones" should also get you some good links.

Thanks for that. I normally turn off strava before I get anywhere near home but must have forgotten last night. I'll do that when I have time later.

Advertisement