Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@Warbeastrior

I'm in the North West and only ever see Go Safe vans. What other types are there?

Garda speed vans, can be unmarked and, from experience, can detect from the front of the van or rear of the van.

Also, do you mean that you have to be quite close to those vans for them to get you.

Thread here on the go safe van range https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057633648/speed-van-questions-distance Basically if you are detected by a go safe van your eyesight / observational skills are so poor you shouldn't be driving.

Manual https://www.agd-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/product-manual-342.pdf will give you an idea how limited their range is.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Haha I get ya. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pablojones

Is there something wrong with or odd about the speed trap at Drung, Cavan? My friend and I drive a lot, very rarely in Cavan, but the only time we've both gotten a ticket is driving through Drung. Could the camera there be malfunctioning or miscalibrated? I've never seen a camera or van there, not sure what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

Well, I mean, a simple answer would be a question:

'were you going over the speed limit?'

Anything after that is kind of immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Is there any point to this thread anymore? One post a month ‘Was I caught?’ invariably.

At the very least it shouldn’t be a sticky anymore.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement

I don't think so, I don't normally speed. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this speed trap, or is there a way to request information on it to see when or how it was calibrated?

Only way you'll get anything like that is by not paying the fine, getting a summons to court and fighting it there with your solicitor looking for disclosures from GoSafe.

They will present their UKAS accreditation and your solicitor will then have to prove that the UKAS accreditation is incorrect or false which they won't be able to do.

So unless you have a lot of time and a significant amount of money only to lose anyway and double your points and maybe increase fine, then it's best just to accept the fine and pay it.

We both already paid, but has anyone heard of submitting a freedom of information request on the statistics of this speed trap? It seems odd that we both drive tons of KMs every year, and have been through Drung maybe 4 times total, and each got a ticket 1 of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/25/section/81/enacted/en/html

It is not necessary to prove that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Probably stops the daily 'Was in caught' , reduces it to monthly and keeps it all in one place.

Not much you can do if people don't even want to try and read the thread.

• Advertisement

It does stop a new thread for each one alright.

I wonder is Boards advanced enough to do an autoreply to new posters? Something along the lines of:

’You were probably going to get caught sometime and unless you’re on 9 points already it not a big deal. If you were on 9 points, you wouldn’t give a fu€k anyway and certainly wouldn’t be posting here.’

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Go-safe van on the M4 eastbound yesterday, just after the M4/M6 merge. Nearly everyone seemed to be dropping speed to below 100kmph.

Any wonder we constantly have the inane questions coming up on this thread when people appear not to know the speed limit on a motorway.....

I think it's possibly worse than that;

They don't the speed limit AND don't know what speed they are driving at any given time so best solution is to slam on and drive way under what they assume is the limit for the road

Plenty of that old fashioned driving out there. Auld lads slowing down to 60 for bends on good National Roads. Jesus wept.

They still think they’re in a Ford Anglia with crossplys that’ll put them in the hedge instead of the brand new Corolla that they are actually in!

/rant over

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

Passed a van in a 100 zone while my cruise control was at 105. My car has a very narrow gap to actual so my actual speed was probably 104. Odds of me getting a ticket?

No chance, but if you are concerned about the small gap then just set your cruise to 100, the 5km/h over really isn't going to make any difference except over extremely long journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

Is there any consensus on what the margin is that you will get away with so?

Not really, generally about 10 over but they can't give any hard and fast verification because then people would just drive right to that extra limit and when done just a few km/h over that they would.complain that they were 'just' over the new limit, and so on and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think it varies depending on the road. Looking through the Garda twitter account there's a lot lower tolerance in 50 km/h areas (as it should be really) than on motorways - eg: I've never seen a post for someone stopped doing 130ish in a 120. It's all 140/150+ and ridiculous situations where someone is doing 180+ Those are rightly banned from what I've seen.

Of course this isn't a guarantee either and it depends on the Garda (and that inconsistency is also why these questions keep repeating), but that's my take on it.

A even bigger issue looking through that account is the number of people drug-driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 wolverball

I hope someone can give me some insight into the following question, if the gatso van is stationed in a 60km zone trying to catch motorists there, can it do you for speeding prior to entering that zone?

No, it's set up to catch people in the 60 zone and not calibrated for the zone outside it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What’s the usual wait time for a fine in the post from the speed vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe they’re slowing down to a speed that allows them to stop within the distance they can see to be clear, as required by law, in case there is something unexpected around the bend?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A "good National Road" answers your question there - there was no bend that couldn't be seen around.

You are to stop trolling road safety related threads on this forum or else you will start receiving sanctions for doing so - you have got away with far too much for far too long.

This type of post is trolling, whether you realise it or not.

Generally not more than a few weeks, though officially the issuing authority has 107 days to issue a ticket.

If it's a Garda that pings you it can be a longer wait as they may or may not use discretion and let you off but the GoSafe are an automated system, you either are getting a ticket or not so that's why its much quicker, so generally within 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats like the one at the tunnel in cork sitting in a 60 but looking at a new 30km link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

can some one answer a question for me how long does it take a go safe fine to arrive and i being reading about a 10% ruel can anymore answer this for me please and tell how exactly it works thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

when was that van there looking into the 30 zone ?

• Advertisement

If you scroll up on this page you will see both your questions answered, or at least to the extent they can be answered but in short:

A) anywhere from 2 days to just over 3 months

B) there is no 10% rule, the limit is the limit and anything above is taking a chance

Advertisement