Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you see the state of snooker in RoI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Mentens a class act and in the other half Davies is a fine player too, along with Leone there’s some great strength in this age group.

Agree 100%, there’s only so much a player can do in Ireland to improve and eventually you have to consider setting up in England.

On the other hand I’ve always thought it best to dominate your home events, win your national c’ship , then win the world amateurs. Winning junior events is one thing but winning senior events another, Can Leone still travel over and enter tournaments in Ireland ?

Lovely ton by Mertens there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah, he's over and back all the time and has the full house of junior titles, from 16s to 21s. I'd say it's not for everybody, big decision to uproot your life at 15 but shows how dedicated and ambitious he is and also the necessary support and backing behind him.

Certainly ambitious and as I mentioned earlier it appears he’s got the right support behind him. Would still like to see him win a couple of senior events in Ireland just to prove that he can actually compete and win outside of the junior scene.

• Advertisement

Wins the tight frame to square it 2-2. I think mertens for all his superior scoring power isn't so good when he's forced to grind a bit more. No silly mistakes and he can definitely be taken here.

Jesus, what a frame he's played there! Absolutely outstanding. 3-2 ahead and on the cusp of a place in the final.

Should finish this off here now, table seems slow also so hopefully it will play better for the final

What a blue to miss by Mertens, well played young Crowley

Interesting to see who he meets in final: Kazakov or Davies. Davies is a huge scorer like mertens, better long term prospect I'd say while Kazakov is a real grinder who won his tour card at the WSF champs earlier this year. I'd fancy Leone against him, though, if he reproduces that kind of form. No reason to fear anyone at this stage really!

• Advertisement

Liam Davies it is then, only probably the most hyped young player in the game right now. Well, it's not supposed to get any easier, is it? And Leone straight back into table to play his opening u/21 group match and presumably the 18s final soon as he finishes that. Pretty demanding schedule it has to be said.

Not surprised to see him lose his 21s match, that was just rotten scheduling to be fair. Now has probably 20 minutes to freshen up for 18s final, tough enough ask that. And ironically, having already lost to Davies in the 18s group stages, he'll be playing him again in the 21s this evening and will have to win to stay in the competition. He'll be in need of a good sleep tonight whatever happens!

Got a bit out of jail there to take the opening frame. Start he wanted.

Third frame bit of a catalogue of disasters, first palpable sign of nerves. Quite understandable really.

Well that's fcking cruel, a mm away from laying a brilliant snooker and then Davies flukes the red to set up the frame having required 2 snookers at one point. All to do now and gonna need some better luck.

Well, defeat in the end but no shame in it, Davies probably the best junior in the world right now or certainly very close. Absolute joy watching Leone these past few days, big future ahead of him on this evidence. And still 2 u/21 matches to play today, if he can fit them in, and u-16s starting tomorrow too. Going to be knackered at the end of all this!

Fine margins always the case in these best of seven matches. All credit to young Crowley but Davies imo always had a little but more than him.

However there’s plenty of snooker left for him this week for him to come away with a title.

He’s obviously a great talent and has dominated the Irish junior scene this season but I’m still convinced that he would benefit greatly playing more senior events in Ireland and who knows maybe dethrone current national champion Brendan O’Donaghue next season.

Leone wins his last U21 group match but it's not enough to qualify for KO stages. Dont think schedule really gave him much chance anyway, figure he's played close to 25 frames today, must be absolutely knackered. Good sleep and hopefully ready to go again for U16s tomorrow. Might even get another crack at Davies after 3 defeats to him in past two days!

Ross Bulman safely through to KO stage with 3 wins out of 3. Alex Currid from Wexford and Cavans Aaron Goldrick have also qualified so well done to them. Currid had a good win over Robbie McGuigan so good performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thanks for the updates, Joe. Really useful to know the story of what's happening.

No worries, just glad there's some interest around anyway!

Unfortunately, no luck for Ross Bulman with the draw tomorrow. Win first match and then very likely got Ben Mertens and Liam Davies just to reach sf. Gonna have to have the day of his life to get through all that, I'd say.

• Advertisement

Ross Bulman battling hard here, back from the brink of defeat to force a decider against a Belgian opponent who, frustratingly, was missing nothing for nearly 4 frames! Alex Currid & Aaron Goldrick both beaten last 32 but decent showings from them overall. Hopefully Ross can keep things going for a while longer at least.

Atta boy Ross, dug that one out brilliantly, opponent that bit more brittle when pressure was applied. Ben Mertens up next, hopefully he can emulate Leone and get the victory.

Ross and Mertens into a decider and the live feed not working for that table! Leone into 16s sf after a couple of tough battles today, thinking fatigue must be a factor for him this morning.

Not to be for Ross, disappointing having lead 3-1. Gutted for him.

Leone beaten in 16s sf. Huge fluke on last red went against him there but not half the player today he was yesterday tbf. Liam Davies beaten in other sf too, fatigue a major issue there I'm certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Seems a bit mad these tournaments all on at the one time, with some players participating in several of them at once.

It is a bit mad alright. They've added more categories this year and trying to squeeze them into fewer days so inevitably it led to a lot of overlap and some players, like Leone, unfortunately bearing the brunt of it. These are rescheduled championships, of course, from Poland in April, and they'd have had an extra day which, frankly, still wouldn't be near enough. Leone played 5 matches, comprising 22 frames, on Thursday. No pro would ever be asked to do that, the most a pro would ever have to play on a single day is 19, ie a Bo19 final. Great experience for him, of course, but not by any means fair.

In the good old pro am days in the UK in the late 80’s you would expect to play up to 7/8 matches in a day to win the tournament. Great schooling and it didn’t have a bad effect on the likes of the so called class of ‘92

The players know the schedule before the tournament begins, if it’s too much then only enter one event and not all three. It’s the same for every player, the more successful you are the more matches you will play.

Too many players especially juniors are pampered too much these days !!

My own opinion of course :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just on a technical note (coz I love when JoePublic is wrong!) a pro can be scheduled for 21 or even 28 frames in Gibraltar, e.g., Jordan Brown, Neil Roberston and others played three Bo7s on the Thursday. And finalists Rob Milkins and Kyren both played 4 games on the Saturday.

Gibraltar Open Snooker 2022 | Draw, Live Scores and Schedule of Play - livesnooker.com

• Advertisement

Ha! Fair play AJ, i do believe my fallibility has never been been beyond doubt. I didn't actually pay much heed to Gibraltar this year, so happy to be corrected on that.

And just for the record, nobody is complaining here, least of all Leone himself. Just pointing out, on Thursday he played a tough sf v Ben Mertens, then was on table 15 minutes later to play his 21s match after which a 15 minute break and then to play his 18s final. Nobody complained about it, just the way things fell for him, but it was unfortunate and can't have helped. When Aaron Hill won his titles in Portugal, the 18s were played to a finish before the 21s started. I don't think Leone would have made it through the 21s anyway, but the format really gave him no chance. That's just how it was.

Anyway, in other news, Aaron gets the privilege of breaking off the new season against Yan Bingtao in the championship league. Just two weeks on Tuesday! I hope he's having himself a well earned break at the moment!

Advertisement