Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GentleHumour

Ad on radio today for Picture This (not my cup of tea btw) gigs in Gleneagle Hotel in December.

Of note is that the gigs are billed as “their only Irish dates this year”. As one of the EP20 headliners that may have rolled over to EP21, it doesn’t bode well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

As much as I am trying to be positive about EP going ahead the fact they havent even announced a preliminary line up does'nt bode well at all. Also as mentioned in another thread Picture This's 3 shows at the INEC are announced as there only only Irish shows of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Stillill42

As much as I am trying to be positive about EP going ahead the fact they havent even announced a preliminary line up does'nt bode well at all. Also as mentioned in another thread Picture This's 3 shows at the INEC are announced as there only only Irish shows of 2021.

Nonsense, Furious Red. Clearly, Melvin and his merry band have concluded (rightly) that after the year we've had, the last thing we need is Picture This on the main stage. A humane and generous move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

To tell you the truth I'll be glad if Wild Roots gets the go ahead, but when it comes down to it, I'll be glad just to get my old pub trad session back if anything at all is happening this year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭fafy

Was speaking to my gigging buddy last night about this, i’m convinced there is no way, zero chance, EP will happen this year, he is more optimistic.

What i am certain about, is i’l be doing EP in 2022. This crisis only made me more aware, how important these events are to me, and many others, think i’l be going every year !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Alkers wrote: »
    Complete waste of time, there are people more densely grouped in nearly every outdoor public space at the moment, without any of the one way systems etc.

What do we learn from this?

Absolutely, no testing before or after = no measurable take aways. It was a "nice to have" for the acts and the lucky punters, but no money made I guess, no lessons learned.

It got me thinking more about the WHY, throughout this pandemic we seem to take a rather basic approach to interpretating risk, scaleable and proportional rather than factual and data driven.
    I.e I remember speaking to a colleague in work about how a solo cyclist was 50km out of their radius, "... I mean be alright if he was 2-3km outside, but 50km, that's just reckless" he said. Similar stories of people driving long distances to get donuts, "madness!"
    I get it, they have broken an essential rule, but we've somehow added a scaleable risk per Km, when really it's what the person does when they get to their destination that impacts. While on the otherhand it was perfectly acceptable to stand in a queue in a busy supermarket.

So back to the gig's, I think the public will never accept no gig's to 80,000 in a short time frame regardless of what science says.
    So the JVM gig must be the foundation, first step in return to gig's, but it needs to be followed up by 3 -4 ever increasing substantial gig's in June, July and August, with TESTING, because I think that's the only way there is any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Absolutely, no testing before or after = no measurable take aways. It was a "nice to have" for the acts and the lucky punters, but no money made I guess, no lessons learned.

It got me thinking more about the WHY, throughout this pandemic we seem to take a rather basic approach to interpretating risk, scaleable and proportional rather than factual and data driven.
    I.e I remember speaking to a colleague in work about how a solo cyclist was 50km out of their radius, "... I mean be alright if he was 2-3km outside, but 50km, that's just reckless" he said. Similar stories of people driving long distances to get donuts, "madness!"
    I get it, they have broken an essential rule, but we've somehow added a scaleable risk per Km, when really it's what the person does when they get to their destination that impacts. While on the otherhand it was perfectly acceptable to stand in a queue in a busy supermarket.

So back to the gig's, I think the public will never accept no gig's to 80,000 in a short time frame regardless of what science says.
    So the JVM gig must be the foundation, first step in return to gig's, but it needs to be followed up by 3 -4 ever increasing substantial gig's in June, July and August, with TESTING, because I think that's the only way there is any chance.

The thinking on the 5km restriction was probably to prevent people from large urban areas descending on beauty spots en masse. For example Wicklow and Wexford would have got, at times, overwhelmed by Dubs if restrictions were not in place.

And I think you're probably right about EP which I can accept if I'll get to small indoor gigs in Oct/Nov. And of course Bodhrandude's pub session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Mr.S wrote: »
    A very reduced capacity EP could probably go ahead this year if everyone worked together to pull it off

If it was an event that had not released tickets yet then possibly, but we’re talking about something that’s sold 80,000 tickets. How do you determine who gets to go and who wants to deal with the blowback from the very large numbers of people who have their tickets cancelled.

From the scrotebook banter page

".....There is a meeting with EP/ Festival republic and government officials next week to discuss full details. EP have said they will put testing in place for anyone not vaccinated before the event and only a negative result will get you entry......"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The thinking on the 5km restriction was probably to prevent people from large urban areas descending on beauty spots en masse. For example Wicklow and Wexford would have got, at times, overwhelmed by Dubs if restrictions were not in place.

And I think you're probably right about EP which I can accept if I'll get to small indoor gigs in Oct/Nov. And of course Bodhrandude's pub session.

I'm from Wexford and even I think to describe it as a beauty spot is more than a bit of a stretch.

Edit: Some nice beaches mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Do they still need to apply for planning permission for events? If they do then that will shot down.

Councillor anecdotally tells how locals feel shock and some locals took to Facebook to say no. It is clickbait, for sure... but in reality, and particularly in light of the very poor test events, EP is now almost certainly not happening. We all know it at this stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Nonsense, Furious Red. Clearly, Melvin and his merry band have concluded (rightly) that after the year we've had, the last thing we need is Picture This on the main stage. A humane and generous move.

I can accept this and it makes more sense than my original comment. :pac::pac:

Well Melvin did say in an article I read this morning that over in the UK they are struggling with get all the infrastructure for the festival builds. Tents are being used as vaccination/testing places, portaloos are the same, builders who can get scaffolding are renting them off event companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭fafy

It’s game over for this year, and thats reality,
    time for a 2022 EP thread, & time,to get out of this broken record discussion, and face the harsh reality. Tough, but true !!!

I'm from Wexford and even I think to describe it as a beauty spot is more than a bit of a stretch.

Edit: Some nice beaches mind.

Curracloe, Duncannon, Enniscorrhy and other great Wexican spots. I don’t know the area too well Pablo but you’re not selling it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

fafy wrote: »
    It’s game over for this year, and thats reality,
    time for a 2022 EP thread, & time,to get out of this broken record discussion, and face the harsh reality. Tough, but true !!!

I am not starting another goddamned thread until we have a press release from FR.

EOL

Reading some of the comments from the locals is heart breaking, it does not matter what facts, science, advances etc. come to light in the next few weeks, they're absolutely blinkered and dead set on it not happening regardless, to the point of hysteria, hyped on by the local ejet point scoring politican. (BTW I'm not suggesting anyone should take risk)
    Talking about boycotting the Cosby family if they let it go ahead on their land, almost putting a moral noose around their necks. So I feel that's the final nail in the coffin ref planning/licence.

EP had such great momentum for the passed years, built on by people who have had a great experience, tell their friends, word of mouth, who buy tickets immediately for next year.

I'm a little worried that momentum will stall now, no great experience, no word of mouth. I think quite a few will take a refund this time around, and where EP was on the rise financially and upward capacity, we could see a decline in finances, attendance and perceived line up quality, it could take some years to balance out, it could even fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Reading some of the comments from the locals is heart breaking, it does not matter what facts, science, advances etc. come to light in the next few weeks, they're absolutely blinkered and dead set on it not happening regardless, to the point of hysteria, hyped on by the local ejet point scoring politican. (BTW I'm not suggesting anyone should take risk)
    Talking about boycotting the Cosby family if they let it go ahead on their land, almost putting a moral noose around their necks. So I feel that's the final nail in the coffin ref planning/licence.

EP had such great momentum for the passed years, built on by people who have had a great experience, tell their friends, word of mouth, who buy tickets immediately for next year.

I'm a little worried that momentum will stall now, no great experience, no word of mouth. I think quite a few will take a refund this time around, and where EP was on the rise financially and upward capacity, we could see a decline in finances, attendance and perceived line up quality, it could take some years to balance out, it could even fail!

I dont think this will happen. For a start there are so many missing live gigs and festivals i think there is likely to be a real demand when they come back. Also think that many will go i held my ticket last year might as well hold it again. I think a big challenge will be if the next one is not really good some/many may go wasnt worth the wait so lose interest for future years. But i could be talking pure rubbish. I will defo be going whenever it is on its my break away from normality weekend every year.

• Advertisement

Mucker46 wrote: »
    I dont think this will happen. For a start there are so many missing live gigs and festivals i think there is likely to be a real demand when they come back. Also think that many will go i held my ticket last year might as well hold it again. I think a big challenge will be if the next one is not really good some/many may go wasnt worth the wait so lose interest for future years. But i could be talking pure rubbish. I will defo be going whenever it is on its my break away from normality weekend every year.

Unthinkable for me also Mucker, the ticket price has been long absorbed, I'd certainly rather the experience vs the cash, but I can't say the same for a 20 something who is maybe considering using the money to travel when flights get back etc. We'll see.

Frustrating we're looking at indoor gig's 3-4 weeks later while an outdoor gig is in doubt.

Also see this from NL

https://www.hotpress.com/music/hopes-for-electric-picnic-further-raised-by-dutch-decision-to-allow-full-capacity-gigs-22856855

I did say nice beaches
    Curracloe,
    Beach
    Duncannon,
    Beach
    Enniscorrhy
    Sh1thole

... Its good to know that the best kept secret beach is still a best kept secret.

from the article:
    the government's decision is based on research conducted by Fieldlab Events – a government-backed initiative which has represented the Dutch events sector during the Covid-19 pandemic.

why can't we have a government-backed inititive for events? Probably because we are too narrow minded in our thinking.

Alkers wrote: »
    Complete waste of time, there are people more densely grouped in nearly every outdoor public space at the moment, without any of the one way systems etc.

What do we learn from this?

NPHET were correct in not using Antigen testing at the live events. It would tell nothing. The experience of Slovakia at the turn of the year should be cautionary. The country that had the lowest death rate in Europe (5 in a million) started using unreliable Antigen testing in late 2020. The result was those with false negative results went to work, dropped into their neighbours and visited their grannies. Slovakia ended up having the world’s worst death rate in February and March 2021.

Antigen tests can have a role for indoor gigs later in the year after vaccinations are checked but they’re not to be relied upon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/antigen-tests-detect-covid-in-just-half-of-asymptomatic-cases-found-via-pcr-1.4593448

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Heard Ryan Tubridy on radio earlier saying a decision on EP would be made by end of month. No idea where he got that from tbh as hadn't seen or heard anything about that before now or since. If call is made by then doesn't look great. Not that there is a huge chance but better slim chance if left later than none if decided in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Eod100 wrote: »
    Heard Ryan Tubridy on radio earlier saying a decision on EP would be made by end of month. No idea where he got that from tbh as hadn't seen or heard anything about that before now or since. If call is made by then doesn't look great. Not that there is a huge chance but better slim chance if left later than none if decided in 2 weeks

He's probably basing that on the two months needed to set things up for EP. They need to know for sure by the end of June if not sooner.

nc6000 wrote: »
    He's probably basing that on the two months needed to set things up for EP. They need to know for sure by the end of June if not sooner.

Yeah guess so. Just know lot of other ones have been cancelled on shorter notice. Like Body and Soul the other day. No word on All Together Now yet. Guess EP much larger too so if it doesn't seem doable maybe better off cancelling it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

NPHET were correct in not using Antigen testing at the live events. It would tell nothing. The experience of Slovakia at the turn of the year should be cautionary. The country that had the lowest death rate in Europe (5 in a million) started using unreliable Antigen testing in late 2020. The result was those with false negative results went to work, dropped into their neighbours and visited their grannies. Slovakia ended up having the world’s worst death rate in February and March 2021.

Antigen tests can have a role for indoor gigs later in the year after vaccinations are checked but they’re not to be relied upon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/antigen-tests-detect-covid-in-just-half-of-asymptomatic-cases-found-via-pcr-1.4593448

I didn't even mention testing, nevermind antigen.

The spacing and one way systems at the concert were so extreme that it was much less densely packed than every other public space in the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭rubick

Interesting. €25m grant being deployed to promoters and organisers to pull off gigs and festivals this summer.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228265-boost-of-25-million-for-festivals-and-gigs/

No mention of EP

They've used a pic of Freetown there in the article. Makes a person yearn.

• Advertisement

Interesting. €25m grant being deployed to promoters and organisers to pull off gigs and festivals this summer.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228265-boost-of-25-million-for-festivals-and-gigs/

No mention of EP

Looks like it has been edited since. Thought Longitude had been cancelled but maybe it's for next year too

Advertisement