Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that are hard to watch..

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Midnight Express. About an American in a Turkish prison. Grim is the only word to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ok no..huh...

I haven't seen most of the films listed in the thread.

I didn't necessarily mean just shocking films or the most shocking. A subtle portrayal can be just as effective.

I did watch the three George Romero films recently in a row and didn't get that feeling at all but absolutely loved them. Got the excited jumpy feeling you are meant to get from horrors and a few screams. Really enjoyed them. I thought Duane Jones was perfectly cast in Night of the Living Dead and a rare black leading man in horror especially at the time. It was done so well without stereotyping him.

endacl wrote: »
    I’d find Perfume hard to watch too, now that I know the main character dies.

Bit stupid this post is still getting more thanks when I deleted the spoiler and this post is the only thing spoiling the 2006 film so posters are thanking something that doesn't even make sense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Watched Leaving Las Vegas last night for the first time since I saw it in the cinema, fairly bleak, tough watch. That said, the hardest part of the whole thing was having to listen to the score throughout, utter sh*te ear piercing Sting song (songs?) for the entire duration of the film. It was so bad I didn’t know if it was the same sh*t song on repeat or different sting songs that were hard to tell apart. I suppose it was suitable if the aim was keeping the viewer miserable throughout but I don’t think that was the objective in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bit stupid this post is still getting more thanks when I deleted the spoiler and this post is the only thing spoiling the 2006 film so posters are thanking something that doesn't even make sense :rolleyes:

Not the only thing anymore!

• Advertisement

Not the only thing anymore!

Oh right, thanks. I didn't realize the film forum was clannish.

Ah well 'thanks' don't bother me but seems quite petty. It's not even a spoiler lol. It was 2006 and based on a book from 1985 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Whenever I watch a film that is not easy on the eye in it's subject matter; it does teach you very hard lessons in how to not interfere with other peoples lives when they are seen as the innocent victim in their stories. When you see that message being portrayed in films such as Manchester by the Sea, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, The Magdalene Sisters, Song for a Raggy Boy & In the Name of The Father; it does give you a sense of perspective that allowed you to think that innocent people were severe victims of unintended consequences when their situation at that time was so grim; it felt like it was claustrophobic. It felt really impossible to see any sort of light to come out of that tunnel.

It allowed the victims, who were portrayed in these films, to have an impulse in them to get themselves of those grim situations whenever it was deemed necessary; and that getting out of that mindset was only achieved by trying to act out when in a severe emergency. It sort of felt like that their lives were on the line & they wanted to get out of it as soon as they could to get their mental space back in order. And the people who begun to make those situations worse were people who were all known to be heartless scumbags who had no form of proper empathy inside them to cause this level of needless destruction to their victims lives. And that **** still happens today in our 21st century world. It still very sad that it happens today. But the good thing out of having these films is that the audiences get to see an impression of what other people's worlds were like when the atmosphere around them was so grim. It gives them a sense of that darker past which cannot be forgotten about.

There are still environments out there that can be very intense in the not so pleasant sense of the word. If these environments can become severely intense later on; these films are out there to shine a light on those difficult times whenever they get made to audiences worldwide. And if there are people out there who say that these films are not appropriate to be given to an wider audience. They're part of a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey, jes the first hour or so was tough

justshane wrote: »
    Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey, jes the first hour or so was tough

Found that hard going.
    Not made any easier by her size, she was like a chil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I was reminded of Tacidermia as a film that has several uncomfortable scenes in it, though it isn't necessarily difficult to watch over all.

Its about three generations of a Hungarian family. The first one gets himself into some particularly uncomfortable situations while the ending was quite shocking the first time I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How have I not heard of this? I love Ray Winstone.

*added* Thank you!

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but if your looking for tough to watch and Ray Winstone Nil by Mouth should be recommended.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119792/

Watching it makes you realise how most Films downplay how bad someone looks after a beating compared to real life, as in people end up with a black eye and a few scrapes so the consequences of violence are very much minimised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Redacted, directed by Brian De Palma.
    Even moreso because it is based on a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Anything with Ryan Reynolds. And I'm not kidding here. I genuinely find them very hard to watch, and usually give up the minute he starts talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Redacted, directed by Brian De Palma.
    Even moreso because it is based on a true story.

Yes indeed, that 1 particular scene is vicious. It’s a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

In her skin. It’s an Aussie movie from over 10 years ago about a young girl who goes missing. Ruth Bradley the Irish actress (love/hate, Darren sister) is in it and she is really good in it. There is especially 1 particularly unsettling scene it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dead Ringers, Jeremy Irons as identical twin gynecologists, one of whom commissions special gynecological instruments designed for mutant women - David Cronenberg directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

xtal191 wrote: »
    The Snowtown Murders was a tough watch

Saw this last night. Bleak and brutal throughout.
    Hard to watch alright, knowing its a true story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I found Tenet almost impossible to watch.

Advertisement