Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Films that are hard to watch..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tyrannosaur. Written and directed by Paddy Considine, excellent film but grim AF. It makes Nil By Mouth look like Summer Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Seen it mentioned a few times already but I'd agree with Manchester By The Sea. The acting is so incredibly good that it just feels like you're watching real life at times. The emotion on show from pretty much every character is so raw.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is another film that gives me a similar feeling of emptiness.

While these films left me feeling hollow, the ending of Marley & Me made me crumble. I balled like a baby watching that, I'll never watch it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

KurtVon wrote: »
    Good thread with some interesting selections. I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this one already, but “Precious “ (2009) is a good film, but harrowing to watch.

One of my favourites, the acting by that kid was unreal, and the mother... Is there any other social realist film from the US?

Tyrannosaur. Written and directed by Paddy Considine, excellent film but grim AF. It makes Nil By Mouth look like Summer Holiday.

I love it. There is lightness in there too, but the way it unexpectedly descends is astounding.

Amazing debut at direction from one of my favourite actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Wake In Fright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Probably already mentioned but:

The Woodsman - especially that park bench scene with the girl

Irreversible - even the constant noise in it is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable

These are the only two films I've watched that I just could not look away but felt uncomfortable watching. There are plenty of movies that made you feel sad or had uncomfortable scenes but these two movies I was constantly fidgeting/squirming in my seat when watching them.

TaSeThat wrote: »
    The Woodsman - especially that park bench scene with the girl

This one, from 2014?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361127/

Got good reviews, will add it to the list, thanks.

Must watch Irreversible again, only half watched it years ago, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

The one thing I must say though, is that the gratuitous, made to be "hard to watch" films, such as A Serbian Film, The Human Centipede 2, etc. leave me cold and unimpressed. I don't even experience much of an emotional reaction to them, they are too contrived and alien for me.

I find the likes of Tyrannosaur, Precious, We Need to Talk About Kevin and Still Alice far more affecting, and "hard to watch".

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Kes.
    It's tough up north.

Is it

Grim up north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Must try watch this sometime.. love Olivia Coleman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

sporina wrote: »

It's a very good film and when I watched it Coleman was a bit of a revelation, as I never saw her as anything but a comedienne.

I don't know whether I would consider it hard to watch though.

• Advertisement

Just finished Sound of Metal.. I found is v hard to watch in way.. but wow - fantastic piece of work.. the lead actor was A1.. I highly recommend it as a movie

She is excellent in it. If there is any justice in the world they would have been throwing awards at her for her role.

I meant to say- Tyrannosaur is available to watch on All4 atm but they will be taking it down in 7 days time.

I meant to say- Tyrannosaur is available to watch on All4 atm but they will be taking it down in 7 days time.

thanks a mil - i'll try give it a go before its gone.. (hope its not too ekk for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

Ran

The Assassination of Richard Nixon

Biutiful

The Wrestler

Gaza

A Separation

For Sama

The Blue Kite

Breaking the Waves

22 July

Ratcatcher

Ace in the Hole

5 Broken Cameras

Lilya_4_Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

Nanjing

Back to 1942

The Wind that shakes the Barley

Peeping Tom

The Whisperers

Dogtooth

Still Life

The Elephant Man

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

12 Years a Slave.

I also find the original 'Alfie' a difficult watch, a thread a deep sadness and despair in it. But a superb bit of cinema.

Midnight Cowboy for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Grave of the Fireflies

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

I'm pretty sure I've got you all beat

Scum 1983

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scum_(film)

A brilliant, brilliant film. Utterly compelling, so so tragic, based of course on true events. And some scenes still haunt me. Mary Whitehouse sued against its release, the BBC decided against broadcasting it. Critics...praised it.

Probably the only movie I'd recommend even if I knew people would rather have never seen it.

Unlike other films listed on thread, this one has no Hollywood sheen ( ala Leaving Las Vegas) and is not unrelentingly grim (Layla 4 ever) just to lay it on thick. But say if you find The Wrestler a tough watch then it really isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Eraserhead

Un Chien Andalou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Anything with Adam Sandler in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Splice
    The Visit. That scene under the house playing hide and seek is messed up.
    Naked Lunch
    Human Centipede
    Last Exit to Brooklyn

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

purifol0 wrote: »

Scum 1983

A brilliant, brilliant film. Utterly compelling, so so tragic, based of course on true events. And some scenes still haunt me. Mary Whitehouse sued against its release, the BBC decided against broadcasting it. Critics...praised it.

Probably the only movie I'd recommend even if I knew people would rather have never seen it.

Unlike other films listed on thread, this one has no Hollywood sheen ( ala Leaving Las Vegas) and is not unrelentingly grim (Layla 4 ever) just to lay it on thick. But say if you find The Wrestler a tough watch then it really isn't for you.
    Good call. Saw it in the cinema when it came out. Tough watch. Great film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rdhma wrote: »
    Ran

Most of the non-action scenes would make nice paintings. If like me you are tired of modern films with realistic muddy colouring making it difficult to distinguish people and groups then this is the exact opposite. Beautifully coloured costumes.

And if you stop the film a little while before the end you could have just said "and they all lived happily ever after" . But it's King Lear set in the Warring States Period of Japan directed by the guy who brought you Throne Of Blood.

Breaking the Waves

Loved it.
    Amazing debut from Lars von Trier.

Hard to watch?
    I suppose.

Fantastic acting, as goes for all of von Trier.

Nymphomaniac; would that be considered hard to watch?

Ran

Is this difficult to watch, not in an emotional sense, but is it comprehensible to someone like me who's not familiar at all with that type of film?
    It does seem fairly obscure. I'm not even familiar with the story of King Lear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Ran' isn't difficult to watch at all. In fact it's a beautifully made film, with a fantastic central battle sequence. It's certainly not a film that I would place on a "difficult to watch" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

purifol0 wrote: »

Scum 1983

I've an even harder one to watch for you which also has Ray Winstone in it, The War Zone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Zone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ichi The Killer. Japanese movie banned in a few countries for over the top gore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichi_the_Killer_(film)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've an even harder one to watch for you which also has Ray Winstone in it, The War Zone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Zone

How have I not heard of this? I love Ray Winstone.

*added* Thank you!

Advertisement