Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that are hard to watch..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

valoren wrote: »
    Found Apocalypto to be an intense, brilliant and anxious watch. Wouldn't be quick to rewatch it.

Brilliant movie. I'd watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Eraserhead.

It's like a terrible dream that you still remember years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The uncut version of Event Horizon where they eventually get to see the footage of the previous crew is unwatchable

There's no such thing unfortunately, the proper full length uncut director's cut doesn't exist as the footage was lost.

Something like 40 minutes in total of absolute disturbing mayhem lost.

What you see now is just snippets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

OP, If you liked Watership Down, I think you'll definitely like another oldie, "The Plague Dogs" also by Richard Adams. Bring tears to a statue, its about 2 really likeable dogs who escape from a laboratory where they experiment on animals.

Another really hard to watch is the brilliant (IMO)"When the Wind Blows" made in 1986. It's an animated disaster film directed by Jimmy Murakami based on Raymond Briggs' comic book of the same name. Very slow and gentle but also very powerful

The film stars the voices of John Mills and Peggy Ashcroft as the two main characters and was scored by Roger Waters. The film accounts a rural English couple's attempt to survive a nearby nuclear attack and maintain a sense of normality in the subsequent fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,123 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nomadland.

That's 90min I won't get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Murt10 wrote: »
    OP, If you liked Watership Down, I think you'll definitely like another oldie, "The Plague Dogs" also by Richard Adams. Bring tears to a statue, its about 2 really likeable dogs who escape from a laboratory where they experiment on animals.

Another really hard to watch is the brilliant (IMO)"When the Wind Blows" made in 1986. It's an animated disaster film directed by Jimmy Murakami based on Raymond Briggs' comic book of the same name. Very slow and gentle but also very powerful

The film stars the voices of John Mills and Peggy Ashcroft as the two main characters and was scored by Roger Waters. The film accounts a rural English couple's attempt to survive a nearby nuclear attack and maintain a sense of normality in the subsequent fallout.
    When the Wind Blows really got to me when I watched it as a kid in the 80's. I doubt it would have the same impact without the context of the Cold War and the fear of nuclear war that went with it.

Some good replies there.....' leaving las Vegas, last exit to brooklyn, schinders list & requiem for a dream"..... all hard to watch but brilliant movies.
    A bit off- centre but " Carlitos way"....... carlito tried his best to " get out" but there was no way he was going to sail off into the sunset.....you kinda knew he was doomed a long way out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kes.
    It's tough up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Another oldie...
    Threads.
    part public information...part bleak drama.
    for those of you that came to consciousness post cold war, Threads was a British movie (BBC involved) about the effects of a nuclear war.
    it ended up dealing with people scratching a living in a nuclear winter in sheffield (already a post apocalyptic location before being nucked)

I, Daniel Blake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Neds is a really good film about Glasgow knife crime and asbo. It can be a tough watch at times. Very hard to understand the strong accents and lingo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Joker with Joaquin Phoenix

Loved it when I watched it ,but I could never sit through it again

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Not sure if Id count it as hard to watch but the road with Viggo Mortensen is the bleakest, most depressing film I've ever sat through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bicentennial Man is a hard watch and it's not a bad movie it's just sad. Makes you feel like life is so short.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Marley and Me. Don’t watch that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Some good replies there.....' leaving las Vegas, last exit to brooklyn, schinders list & requiem for a dream"..... all hard to watch but brilliant movies.
    A bit off- centre but " Carlitos way"....... carlito tried his best to " get out" but there was no way he was going to sail off into the sunset.....you kinda knew he was doomed a long way out

I find that Sean Penn's performance makes Carlito's Way a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Haven't read everything and I'm probably echoing others, but 'Irreversible' has a nine minute scene in that is excruciating. It's deliberately timed so that the initial shock is drained into repulsion and it's probably the most powerful and sickening representation of such an "event" that has been put onto film.

'The War Zone' is also very bleak and disturbing and it's kind of amazing that this film (directed by Tim Roth no less) has sort of drifted into obscurity.

'Martyrs' from the short lived new French extreme wave from about ten years ago is probably the best example of that sub genre. Everything looks so painful due to the fantastic effects work by Benoit Lestang and Adrien Morot.

David Lynch's 'The Elephant Man' was the only film that ever made me squirt out a tear when watching it. John Hurt did an excellent job at bringing out the humanity of Merrick under all of that makeup. But like 'A Straight Story', it often gets lost under the cloak of Lynch's more "out there" movies.

'Nil By Mouth', directed by Gary Oldman, takes Kathy Burke and a some 'East Enders' non stars and subjects them to horrific violence and the general despair of a go nowhere life.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Anyone come across ‘The Platform’ on Netflix? Literally dark and disturbing on many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie

A Clockwork Orange

• Advertisement

Anyone come across ‘The Platform’ on Netflix? Literally dark and disturbing on many levels.

Haha......I went at that one night after a bottle of red & half bottle jack d
    NOT RECOMMENDED

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tony EH wrote: »
    Haven't read everything and I'm probably echoing others, but 'Irreversible' has a nine minute scene in that is excruciating. It's deliberately timed so that the initial shock is drained into repulsion and it's probably the most powerful and sickening representation of such an "event" that has been put onto film
    Yes while the film is brilliantly executed, Noe has made it so that you really never want to watch it again. The open scenes with that pulsing booming noise is there on purpose to make humans feel Nausea and it caused a lot of walkouts that and the violence in The Rectum Gay club
    The 9 minute scene above is just so hard to watch, at one stage you can see someone walk into the end of the tunnel see what's happening and decides not to intervene, that is suppose to represent the viewer and ask would you intervene or turn around and walk out.
    I see a lot of movies mentioned but I see only a few mentioned that I would not watch again, Irreversible is the top of this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Deerhunter is a great film that I would recommend but not watch again. Hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A Clockwork Orange
    Michael Collins, as we know what happens in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

storker wrote: »
    I find that Sean Penn's performance makes Carlito's Way a pleasure to watch.

That plus sumptuous title theme by Patrick Doyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5B6gAFpOhQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

NEDs

Set in 70's Scotland, and even though it was made in 2010, seems like it was made before that, tough watch imo, Directed by Peter Mullan, very like other stuff he is in himself, also a difficult watch (My Name is Joe).

I always interpreted it that the ending of Neds was that children were left to fend for themselves without help would likely turn out a certain way, a lord of the flies kind of situation, like they were just dropped off in the jungle of society and fed to the lions, anyone else see it and think thats what the ending was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Just watched Ray and Liz uncomfortable to a certain degree, very well executed though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Not a film but one of the scenes that genuinely bothered me for days was in GOT "The Viper and the Mountain"..... I was fully expecting and routing for it to go one way and then......... if I ever get over the **** show of a final season and give it a rewatch I'd skip that one

Seven is a difficult watch but an excellent film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Salo. Not a film I'll be sitting through again.

Advertisement