Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Demoting someone a place because they went 10 or 15mm off track on the final lap is not fair. The time should fit the crime and common sense should prevail. I get it for qualifying but in a race there should be a clear and obvious advantage gained before such severe penalties are dished out. The rules, as they are, are doing the sport no favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

On a separate what gives with WSBK coverage? EuroSport has a 30mins highlight next Friday for last weekend Estoril race (Tennis getting preference). Further, official WSBK YouTube channel claiming 'highlights' of the race and goes on to show crews wandering aimlessly around the garages.

What can I say - sh*te representation on what is rarely a riveting race series. Such a shame to see great talent going to waste. Frankly I don't understand how can WSBK survive if this all they can offer. Have no desire and not willing to stump for their video-pass.

Laverty form improved - at least finishing in top half of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Magown3

legrand wrote: »
    On a separate what gives with WSBK coverage? EuroSport has a 30mins highlight next Friday for last weekend Estoril race (Tennis getting preference). Further, official WSBK YouTube channel claiming 'highlights' of the race and goes on to show crews wandering aimlessly around the garages.

What can I say - sh*te representation on what is rarely a riveting race series. Such a shame to see great talent going to waste. Frankly I don't understand how can WSBK survive if this all they can offer. Have no desire and not willing to stump for their video-pass.

Laverty form improved - at least finishing in top half of the field.

It's usually really good coverage from Eurosport. I think it clashed with the tennis and that's why it wasn't shown live on Sunday. There were 2 other hour long shows that showed the highlights, not 30 mins. I got to see all the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This is still my favourite lap in MotoGP

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPphv-kqZ11/

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Remy Gardner confirmed for Motogp with KTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

h3000 wrote: »
    This is still my favourite lap in MotoGP

Mine too. Longer spine tingling version here

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=757445314283492

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A few more announcements due over the next few days,
    Remy is confirmed at Tech 3 as mentioned above and Pramac have confirmed Zarco and Martin so no change for the 4 factory bikes.
    It's now expected that there will be another 4 Ducatis on the grid - two for VR46 : Marini and BastianinI and Gresini : De Guantomi (if Aprilla don't get him to void his contract ) and ??.

Rossi is probably going to retire which opens up a place at SRT , Frankie should get the factory bike assuming he hasn't been enticed by Suzuki.

Dovi will continue to test for Aprilla for the rest of the year while it is possible that Marquez may take more time out to recover following this weekends race.

Bezzachi and Roberts are names that are mentioned with a move up to Moto GP next season . Interesting times !

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

Remy Gardner confirmed for Motogp with KTM

who's getting dropped from KTM?

legrand wrote: »
    who's getting dropped from KTM?

Possibly both - Iker was 'lost' and then stunned everyone in LeMans - remember he fell ,remounted and beat Maverick !,
    Danilo is too big for the bike, he gets the 'new' chassis this weekend so it depends on how well he performs.

Breaking news - Maverick has split from his (second) crew chief, Vales ex team chief will now work with Vinales, he had been with Cal and the test team.

Lin Jarvis may need to make the hard but obvious decision to swap Vinales and Frankie in 2022...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Rins isn't having much luck these days. Out of this weekend's race. He suffered a fracture after a cycling accident at the circuit

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/03/injured-rins-to-miss-catalan-grand-prix/376648

• Advertisement

DaveD wrote: »
    Rins isn't having much luck these days. Out of this weekend's race. He suffered a fracture after a cycling accident at the circuit

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/03/injured-rins-to-miss-catalan-grand-prix/376648

He is having awful bad look at the minute.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Quatararo really mixes the exceptional, the horrendous and the downright bonkers that wouldn’t happen to anyone else.

His leathers are wide open. If he falls he’ll be in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That's absolute madness having his leathers wide open, he should be punished for that

I really don’t know why he’s wagging his finger at that penalty considering he was lucky to be allowed to finish the race.

Neil Hodgson is nearly outraged that he was allowed to finish the race and I agree with him. There was a Moto3 rider killed last week and they allowed one race with his leathers pulled down on a track where another rider has been killed in the last 5 years.

They are limited in what they can do in terms of safety for the riders due to the nature of the sport but there should really be a zero tolerance approach to situations like that. Absolutely mental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I held my breath for a long time there with those leathers open, terrifying stuff. Delighted for the winner even though diablo was a major distraction at the end. Further sanctions likely imho..

I thought that his decision to throw his chest protector on track was a very dangerous decision. I’m a fan of Fabio but I really think there should be punishment for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Missed this thought it was on at 1.

Fabio has received another 3 second penalty for riding with his leathers undone.

Unfortunately Fabio has since lashed out at his other competitors instead of realising how dangerous this action was. Fabio has not been penalised for throwing his chest protector onto the circuit.

The FIM stewards should have black flagged Fabio immediately for his own safety , hopefully lessons are learned.

Fabio now drops to 6th.

Moto 3 - 15 fighting for the win with 4 laps to go - one of the craziest races I have viewed

Three seconds??

I’m sorry, but that is a disgrace. The leathers are there to protect him and not for him to play with.

There should be zero tolerance for that. Three seconds is barely a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

I'm surprised there isn't footage of it opening. There's a camera pointed at it. There didn't seem to be a problem with it when he zipped it back up.

For me, throwing the chest protector onto the track is life threatening to other riders. Bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Infoanon wrote: »

Moto 3 - 15 fighting for the win with 4 laps to go - one of the craziest races I have viewed

A few corners in the last few laps looked like some bird flock formation you see over lakes at sunset.

Wow but the main race took some believing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is there any chance we will see Johnny Rea move elsewhere - even within the WSB paddock?
    The time he got an outing on the HRC he done really well (IMO) considering he was under instructions not to bin it so was riding within himself.
    I guess that boat might have sailed for him now due to his age, but surely the MGp guys can see he is a different league and was lapping tracks on the ZX10 at a faster rate than some MGp bikes a few years ago - so the guy does have pace.

When Foggy was going strong on the Duke I always thought that doing it on a different bike would show him as truly great, but his stint on the Honda didn't go well. So I suppose going by that logic I would want to see JR make a switch.
    He seems to be pretty much untouchable in WSB. A bad weekend for him is a podium finish. He a great ability to minimise impact of any problems over a race weekend on his points haul unlike the other riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Wow but the main race took some believing

It wasn't the most exciting but delighted for Marquez.
    MotoGP2 was interesting though !

Frankie is out of this weekends Assen Moto GP, knee injury.

No word on a replacement, Cal is the reserve for Yamaha , but why would he want to ride a 2 year old bike.

Frankie is far from happy at Yamaha though an announcement is expected that SRT will have Yamahas again next season (after VR46 politely turned them down apparently ).

Vinales is also far from happy and made it clear to the Spanish media that he purposely rode at the back to understand how his Yamaha worked in clear air......bizarre, hard to see Maverick at Yamaha in 2023.

Another announcement that is imminent is that VR46 have signed a long term deal with Ducati ,one 2022 bike for Luca and a 21 bike for (its assumed ) Bezzachi.

Gresini already confirmed as having two 21 bikes .

The other battle to watch is KTM vs SRT for Raul Fernández - contracted to KTM it's believed Raul prefers the SRT Yamaha option for 2022 albeit on a 21 bike.

Roll on Assen

Frankie is out of this weekends Assen Moto GP, knee injury.

No word on a replacement, Cal is the reserve for Yamaha , but why would he want to ride a 2 year old bike.

Frankie is far from happy at Yamaha though an announcement is expected that SRT will have Yamahas again next season (after VR46 politely turned them down apparently ).

Vinales is also far from happy and made it clear to the Spanish media that he purposely rode at the back to understand how his Yamaha worked in clear air......bizarre, hard to see Maverick at Yamaha in 2023.

Another announcement that is imminent is that VR46 have signed a long term deal with Ducati ,one 2022 bike for Luca and a 21 bike for (its assumed ) Bezzachi.

Gresini already confirmed as having two 21 bikes .

The other battle to watch is KTM vs SRT for Raul Fernández - contracted to KTM it's believed Raul prefers the SRT Yamaha option for 2022 albeit on a 21 bike.

Roll on Assen

Didn't Maverick have a similar team outburst in his Moto3 days? He seems to take difficult situations very badly. He should really concentrate on getting his mental health straight and I mean that as someone who has anxiety problems.

Where could Franky go? Who is out of contract next year?

h3000 wrote: »
    Didn't Maverick have a similar team outburst in his Moto3 days? He seems to take difficult situations very badly. He should really concentrate on getting his mental health straight and I mean that as someone who has anxiety problems.

Where could Franky go? Who is out of contract next year?

Garrett Gerloff in at SRT for this weekend, the move makes a lot of sense - American and showed potential when subbing for Rossi in Quali.

Frankie will probably have a factory bike next season at SRT before moving to the factory team.
    There is a question mark around Olivera who has made it clear that he is not currently in contract talks with KTM , rumours that Honda are interested seem a bit far fetched at the moment but you never knew.

Maverick left his Moto 3 team but iirc rejoined a race later ...

Breaking news : Japan cancelled officially, Australia expected to follow.
    COTA replaces Japan ,2 rounds in Sepang and a return to Portimao are now seen as likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Magown3

Garrett Gerloff in at SRT for this weekend, the move makes a lot of sense - American and showed potential when subbing for Rossi in Quali.

Frankie will probably have a factory bike next season at SRT before moving to the factory team.
    There is a question mark around Olivera who has made it clear that he is not currently in contract talks with KTM , rumours that Honda are interested seem a bit far fetched at the moment but you never knew.

Maverick left his Moto 3 team but iirc rejoined a race later ...

Breaking news : Japan cancelled officially, Australia expected to follow.
    COTA replaces Japan ,2 rounds in Sepang and a return to Portimao are now seen as likely.

Gerloff subbing in for the weekend genuinely has me excited. I love to see these types of decisions. It's too often a team won't put in a sub rider if they don't have to or else put in the test rider.

Was wsbk at assen last year? Has Gerloff raced there before?

I can't watch any crash involving MM93 anymore. This one is a tough watch especially when he tucks his arms in to protect his shoulder rather than trying to protect himself.

He can't last much longer surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Vinales leaving Yamaha at the end of 2021? Off to Aprillia.

2 free Yamaha’s on the grid if Rossi retires.

Advertisement