Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

XsApollo wrote: »
    Vinales leaving Yamaha at the end of 2021? Off to Aprillia.

2 free Yamaha’s on the grid if Rossi retires.

There seems to be a lot of truth behind it alright.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Magown3

XsApollo wrote: »
    Vinales leaving Yamaha at the end of 2021? Off to Aprillia.

2 free Yamaha’s on the grid if Rossi retires.

Gerloff must be licking his lips right now. A solid performance today and he's surely got his foot in the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It's not a huge surprise given the comments that Maverick has been making in recent days 'disrespected by the team' etc and the tweet 'noticia bomba' that broke the story was from Mavericks CEV/125cc manager and was deemed very reliable.

Mavericks decision - and everything points to this being his decision aka 'he is doing a Zarco ', could bring a new meaning to the silly season with a number of riders apparently having a clause in their contract allowing them to leave for a factory team.

Or......Morbidelli invokes said clause to go to the Yamaha factory team, Raul Fernández grabs the chance to have a factory Yamaha (SRT) with a deal done to buy him out of his KTM contract ($500k apparently ) and Gerloff gets the second seat pleasing Dorna and Yamaha.

Aprilla seem to be willing to give Maverick a ride but is Maverick a better option than Dovi ??

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Infoanon wrote: »
    It's not a huge surprise given the comments that Maverick has been making in recent days 'disrespected by the team' etc and the tweet 'noticia bomba' that broke the story was from Mavericks CEV/125cc manager and was deemed very reliable.

Mavericks decision - and everything points to this being his decision aka 'he is doing a Zarco ', could bring a new meaning to the silly season with a number of riders apparently having a clause in their contract allowing them to leave for a factory team.

Or......Morbidelli invokes said clause to go to the Yamaha factory team, Raul Fernández grabs the chance to have a factory Yamaha (SRT) with a deal done to buy him out of his KTM contract ($500k apparently ) and Gerloff gets the second seat pleasing Dorna and Yamaha.

Aprilla seem to be willing to give Maverick a ride but is Maverick a better option than Dovi ??

MV can be great, but a great rider is one who is consistently great. MV is not one of those imo so I would expect more of the same from him regardless of team he joins. He seemed bitter about his race yesterday, bottom line is he got mugged at the start (not 1st time) and that's just racing. He did very well to get 2nd in the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Infoanon wrote: »
    is Maverick a better option than Dovi ??
    I would consider this a no-brainer. One's 35 years old and is currently out of the game, the other is 26 and is possibly the best one lapper on the grid. Yes, MV has psychological problems he has to work out but given a capable bike, he WILL win you races. I'm not so sure the same can be said for a 35 year old Dovi?

Does MV bring money with him too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Scotty # wrote: »
    I would consider this a no-brainer. One's 35 years old and is currently out of the game, the other is 26 and is possibly the best one lapper on the grid. Yes, MV has psychological problems he has to work out but given a capable bike, he WILL win you races. I'm not so sure the same can be said for a 35 year old Dovi?

Does MV bring money with him too??

Dovi - race winner , has regularly beaten Marc Marquez in one to one duels ,consistent and great test rider Vs

Maverick - inconsistent , last in one race - second in the next, world champion of testing and practice but can dominate when the mood suits.

It's not a no brained - and it's Aprilla (remember their treatment of Lowes/ Redding ) that he is signing for (tbc).

Vinales doesn't bring money and I fear for his career in joining Aprilla.

Maverick is best friends with Aleix btw.

In other developments - Gerloff was not first choice for the SRT replacement ride if rumours are to be believed, a Turkish rider turned it down !!

A lot will be answered in the next 5 weeks - apparently July 31st is an important date regarding release clauses at KTM. ..

Phillip Island cancelled for this year and replaced with a second Algarve race. The Australian F1 is cancelled too. No real surprise though.
    https://the-race.com/motogp/motogp-2021-calendar-phillip-island-cancelled-portimao-replaces/

Crutchlow back for 3 rounds as stand in for injured Morbidelli.

It will be interesting to see both him and Dani back on the grid. If it's wet I'd give him a good finish but otherwise, he's finishing 2 of those 3 races in the gravel trap.

• Advertisement

Its amazing that the second Petronas seat hasn't been filled yet still.

WSBK riders being linked with it but avoiding it (or so it seems).

Could someone like Jake Dixon actually get it by default even tho he's not exactly performed in Moto2.

missed the Dani news. Brad or Miguel out injured?

Wildcard entry. All other riders are racing also.

Today is the day. Is it retirement?? Is it a team up with his brother at VR46 for another year?? We will all know soon….

I believe he was getting a LOT of pressure from next years sponsor for his team to race next year.

Apparently some prince was providing a lot of cash but only if Rossi raced on the bike!

He may do another year yet.... I'm still undecided as to how I feel about it. Great rider, obviously passed his prime but still has a magic day or 2 left in him I'd say!

Rosie's mid season break press conference he said it would be "very difficult" to race next year. Sounds like a no to me.

End had to come sometime, but will still be around, earning 10's of millions running his VR46 outfit. Good luck to him.

Press conference just kicking off now

Retirement it is. What a rider he was.

I think we will see him on a race track before too long though. 4 wheels this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In fairness, a good few bonus years we never expected

I really don’t think MotoGP would be where it is today without him. The dedication he had to the sport is incredible. Immense amounts of skill with race craft and determination to win that very few get close to. I’m sorry I never got to a MotoGP race.

• Advertisement

I think my heart is still recovering after this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭XsApollo

i remember the talk of him being finished when Hayden and Stoner won in 06-07, it could be the end they were saying.

then watching 08 Laguna seca in shock and amazement :-D

2009 at Catalunya sitting in the stands at the second last corner , was probably the only time I think I truly lost my mind, jumping up and down screaming patting strangers back, the best thing I ever saw and still get goosebumps when I think about it.

winning the championship in 08-09 was some achievement.

finishing runner up again in 15 and 16 I think was also unbelievable.

the Marquez incident and the move to Ducati are probably the only mistakes he made in his career.

legend.

could have been a god awful blub-fest but he held his **** together. Delighted to have seen him once in Bruno a few years back.

Will be interesting how he fairs for rest of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jorge can be a strange character but he can be such a good guy and so on point at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

According to Crash.net he might have been over-reving the engine on the straight in frustration at the performance.

curious, how do you over rev a MotoGP bike that are designed to cope with 15k redline?

• Advertisement

Apparently for the last few laps he was going down the straight in a gear lower than he should have been. They are race tuned high stress engines but its certainty designed to be bouncing it off the limiter either.

Advertisement