Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 :Round 2 Imola

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

They should make a rule where you are not allowed to reverse during a race. During practice it would be fine, but during the race, that's your bad!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe if the crash between Bottas and Russel had not happened then Hamilton might not have been so lucky as he would have lost more places coming in to get his wing changed but because of that he was able to come in under the safety car and did not lose as many places as he could have. So ye as the poster above says Hamilton got lucky.

i understand that. its pure luck with the timing

but the system shouldnt allow that to happen. its wrong that he got no real disadvantage from all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Funniest radio message of the day:

Lando: the clutch keeps slipping on the exit of corners.

Team: you keep getting the paddle Lando.

:pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I'd say as soon as he heard that he thought "Please don't let that be on the telly" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭chicorytip

MadYaker wrote: »
    It should be said that Russell had a pass on Bottas if they hadn't collided and he had no business doing that considering the gap between the cars.
    Bottas did nothing wrong at all. The fault for the collision lay with Russell. Wolff implied as much. It was a rash move to attempt given the damp conditions and his reaction afterwards was childish and petulant. Norris looks a better driver than him right now. Yes, you might say, he has a much superior car but seems more mature and is progressing more rapidly.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Bottas did nothing wrong at all. The fault for the collision lay with Russell. Wolff implied as much. It was a rash move to attempt given the damp conditions and his reaction afterwards was childish and petulant. Norris looks a better driver than him right now. Yes, you might say, he has a much superior car but seems more mature and is progressing more rapidly.

I'd put it 85% on Russell. Bottas feinted right just a shade later than he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

chicorytip wrote: »

Agree 100%. Even if there was a twitch right from Bottas, there was a cars width left for Russell but he went right, caught the grass and that was that. I can understand why Russell would try to avoid Bottas if he thought he was coming across but at the same time, it's up to him to keep the car on the road and the space was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Fantastic race to watch. As many have said so nice to be back at these race tracks where mistakes get punished. Can only think of both McLaren drivers as well as maybe Ocon (because we barely saw him) and Gasly who managed to stay between the white lines for the race.

Agreed that Lewis was very lucky to get his car back on track and the red flag timing but Max was also very lucky his spin at the restart didn't cost him at all. Was a pity we didn't get a standing start there..

Interesting to see the drivers at new teams all struggling today, obviously conditions they're not used to at all but it really shows that it takes a bit of time to get up to speed especially this year with the reduced testing. Ricciardo well off the pace of Lando, Sainz pulled it together well after a dicey start. Alonso and Vettel outperformed by their teammates and Checo had an unusually error strewn performance.

All those get a free pass from me as no one really hitting the ground running in new machinery this season.

Bottas though the big loser of the day. While I don't think he was at fault for the crash the mere fact a Williams was about to overtake him is very concerning. I think he struggles in the wet in general but from Saturday onwards he was well below par.

Very early days but really enjoyable start to a season and has potential to be most exciting to me since the Jordan era with a proper title fight and a tighter bunched field.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I would say Bottas is very fragile mentally at the moment, he really needs to get a handle on the situation or he will end up like Albon and out of F1 at the end of the season. Qualifying 8th, and plodding in the midfield until the incident. I think it has been over looked in the rush to blame one or the other, but the reality is a Merc shouldn't be defending their position on track from a Williams! That situation would have been unimaginable even 12 months ago. Russel let himself down badly with the interview after, and perhaps showed a little immaturity. Can't imagine it will have done him any favours with Mercedes.

Elsewhere AT really cocked things up leaving Gasly out for so long on wets. Another horror show from AM and they are not winning any fans at the moment. Would suit them better to get there house in order before threatening legal action against the FIA over the new regs. Good recovery from Sainz, and Lando looked very fast.

Great drive from Max apart from the slide on the restart. Lewis got very, very lucky with the circumstances, it does seem a bit ridiculous that he could be beached for 30 seconds, reverse on track and make his way to the pits a lap down, then get a free stop to repair the damage and unlap himself before the start. I understand why the rule is there, but I don't really agree with it as it gives them a huge advantage. I am also realistic enough to say that it is the same rule for everybody and Lewis just happened to benefit this time, but he does have a knack of getting lucky with safety cars. Although others would say you create your own luck...

I am also reminded of his petulance last year over the 2 X 5 second penalties for the pit lane practice start when he claimed the FIA were trying to stop him, and would have loved somebody to remind him of that yesterday when he benefitted. Sky are fairly tiresome in their fawning over him too, the groan from Ted after the slow stop was cringey, and as for Brundle in the interviews...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,889 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Id say bottas is toast tbh, pity, I like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

More spinnies from Mazepin.

He really is terrible. Any funding he is bringing to the team this year will be offset on car repairs. He seems to be wrecking cars all of the time. He is a liability and I dont think he is good enough for F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You cannot beat a wet, or showery race.

Great action, great drama.

Races like that are the best F1 races.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Usually I would always watch live, but I had to head out/was forced to head out by herself, yesterday afternoon. :pac:

Decided to put the phone away with the hope of watching the extended highlights on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

Somehow I managed to avoid the results or any news of the race and had a very enjoyable evening watching the above.

I have viewed the Channel 4 highlights package the odd time previously but I have to admit I was very impressed with it. Decent amount of pre-race build up, they showed the vast majority of the actual race and then a nice bit of post-race stuff too.

With the (hopefully) good weather on the horizon during summer it's something I think I will do more often. There's obviously no substitute for watching the race live but the timing can be a pain.

Anyone else do similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God I loved that race, waited all day to watch it and had delicious beer in hand.

I think we might get more of this as the season goes on, Max was really on it at the start with Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Even if there was a twitch right from Bottas, there was a cars width left for Russell but he went right, caught the grass and that was that. I can understand why Russell would try to avoid Bottas if he thought he was coming across but at the same time, it's up to him to keep the car on the road and the space was there.

Yeah I read Russell say something to the affect that Bottas shouldn't have defended so aggressively because ninth didn't mean much to Bottas in the Mercedes but it means everything to Williams. I couldn't help thinking that things might have gotten to his head from the end of last year. Nobody else needs to fight less hard to allow him to score a fairy tale point for Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah I read Russell say something to the affect that Bottas shouldn't have defended so aggressively because ninth didn't mean much to Bottas in the Mercedes but it means everything to Williams. I couldn't help thinking that things might have gotten to his head from the end of last year. Nobody else needs to fight less hard to allow him to score a fairy tale point for Williams.

Actually kind of like seeing a bit of fire from Russell rather than his normal somewhat boring nice guy persona.

Doesn’t mean he’s right. But I like the sort of old school F1 arrogance at times.

He also I think suggested if it was another driver he’d have given him space pointing towards a bit of rivalry between the two for that seat.

Bottas giving the finger definitely wound him up.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Actually kind of like seeing a bit of fire from Russell rather than his normal somewhat boring nice guy persona.

Doesn’t mean he’s right. But I like the sort of old school F1 arrogance at times.

He also I think suggested if it was another driver he’d have given him space pointing towards a bit of rivalry between the two for that seat.

Bottas giving the finger definitely wound him up.

I can't argue with that.

He has revised his version of events since seeing the replay.

Whatever about straight after the incident, being fired up and pīssed off but his interview was silly. I was delighted when he drove the race for Mercedes last year and was hoping he'd do well but I've been put off him a bit now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Whatever about straight after the incident, being fired up and pīssed off but his interview was silly. I was delighted when he drove the race for Mercedes last year and was hoping he'd do well but I've been put off him a bit now to be honest.

Russell appears to regret the interview. I get where you’re coming from.

It isn’t the first or won’t be the last time we see a driver lose their cool in a post race interview. I’d say nearly all drivers have done it. Russell maybe has a bit to learn yet about that side of things but I actually quite like that sort of outburst to keep it entertaining at times.

Personally enjoy when a driver who normally seems very scripted or media managed breaks that character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm hoping the Bottas-Russell feud will keep on going until punches are thrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,889 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the Bottas-Russell feud will keep on going until punches are thrown.

the sport certainly needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Russell appears to regret the interview. I get where you’re coming from.

It isn’t the first or won’t be the last time we see a driver lose their cool in a post race interview. I’d say nearly all drivers have done it. Russell maybe has a bit to learn yet about that side of things but I actually quite like that sort of outburst to keep it entertaining at times.

Personally enjoy when a driver who normally seems very scripted or media managed breaks that character.

You mean Toto has told him what to say abd he said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Russell also seemed to have forgotten that Mercedes are in a battle with Red Bull for the constructors. The way he was talking yesterday he gave the impression the Bottas should have just let him take the dry line and breeze past him.

You can guarantee that Toto and/or his PR manager had a big say in posting that apology!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BrentMused wrote: »
    Usually I would always watch live, but I had to head out/was forced to head out by herself, yesterday afternoon. :pac:

Decided to put the phone away with the hope of watching the extended highlights on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

Somehow I managed to avoid the results or any news of the race and had a very enjoyable evening watching the above.

I have viewed the Channel 4 highlights package the odd time previously but I have to admit I was very impressed with it. Decent amount of pre-race build up, they showed the vast majority of the actual race and then a nice bit of post-race stuff too.

With the (hopefully) good weather on the horizon during summer it's something I think I will do more often. There's obviously no substitute for watching the race live but the timing can be a pain.

Anyone else do similar?

I paid a tenner to watch on sky via Now TV and it was grand, I’ll probably do the same for the next. I don’t think it’s worth adding the sports channels to my virgin media when all I’ll be watching is formula 1 once a month ish. I’d recommend it if you want to watch the full thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭thefa

MadYaker wrote: »
    I paid a tenner to watch on sky via Now TV and it was grand, I’ll probably do the same for the next. I don’t think it’s worth adding the sports channels to my virgin media when all I’ll be watching is formula 1 once a month ish. I’d recommend it if you want to watch the full thing.

With NowTV you would be as well signing up to the 3 months half price sports package (excluding BT) and cancel it in the last month. It’s just under €60 and you’d get 8 races as it stands plus quali as well as other sports. Day pass is a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

flazio wrote: »

Takes a lot to put your hand up and say sorry. Fair play to George.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Takes a lot to put your hand up and say sorry. Fair play to George.

Ah, it doesn't really... Whether he wanted to or not, that statement had to be released.

Ah, it doesn't really... Whether he wanted to or not, that statement had to be released.

This is it though We will never know what he thinks or how he feels about it. The PR people are now back in control and the driver is just delivering the PR lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

There have been plenty of f1 drivers over the years who have been utterly incapable of ever admitting they were in the wrong, justified or not, genuine or PR encouraged.

The crash had fault from both drivers, George's outbursts after were stupid, even if he is saying it through gritted teeth he is correcting the situation quickly.

Bottas' main problem here IMO is that he was only in the situation because he was so slow a Williams was overtaking him for scrap-points.

I can see his seat coming under threat very soon if his under performing compared to Lewis starts to threaten Merc's chances in the Constructor's Championship.

The funniest I heard was Lance Strolls engineer telling him to drive faster to put out the fire on his brakes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

And can we all take a moment to appreciate Mick Schumacher's engineer. Very calming relaxed voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

antodeco wrote: »
    And can we all take a moment to appreciate Mick Schumacher's engineer. Very calming relaxed voice

He must be very happy to have been assigned to that side of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Did anyone notice the pit crew guy in the (I think) Mercedes garage with a flatcap on instead of the full safety gear

This is it though We will never know what he thinks or how he feels about it. The PR people are now back in control and the driver is just delivering the PR lines.

Clearly his initial reaction was how he feels about it and the statement was his manager / toto

Advertisement