Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2019, 02:40   #46
klaaaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQD View Post
But shur like the science is being ideologically driven..
Like, when did we seperate gender from sex?..tbh, people just look for labels, to want to be a part of some group..they see this nonsense now and go 'maybe this is why I'm not happy etc', and declare themselves as whatever..It's just neurosis..It's not like it's the answer for a lot of them either, because they're still just as unhappy after they transition..
There is zero evidence that science is ideologically driven as you put it, thousands of them scientists have studied human biology and associated aspects.

Regarding labels, i'm not sure if you are referring to the recent wave of a tiny weeny number of teens "latching" onto a cause(as per Primetime documentary), or what are you referring to exactly?
Advertisement
11-06-2019, 02:52   #47
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaaaz View Post
There is zero evidence that science is ideologically driven as you put it, thousands of them scientists have studied human biology and associated aspects.

You’re wrong there -

Science says liberals, not conservatives, are psychotic
11-06-2019, 02:53   #48
CQD

Quote:

Regarding labels, i'm not sure if you are referring to the recent wave of a tiny weeny number of teens "latching" onto a cause(as per Primetime documentary), or what are you referring to exactly?
But like, the way science works now is someone writes a paper..someone else cites that paper..someone else cites that paper etc..it just snowballs..especially in the humanities..
As a subject there has been a movement to normalise it in the media..popping up in tv shows etc..people are impressionable and see this and think it might be the answer for them..and they are now being encouraged..added to that the fact that the internet has just given voice to stupid, and these things can just snowball,.
(2) thanks from:
11-06-2019, 03:02   #49
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Man has Willy.
Woman has front bum.
End.
Thanks from:
11-06-2019, 05:25   #50
ILoveYourVibes

WHO THE **** ASKED HIM FOR HIS OPINIONS?

HE has nothing but hate in his heart for people and the only way the church can get in the headlines and be relevant is by picking fights and spewing their evil bitter hatred.

No one WANTS them stirring up hatred in the world.

How many wars has the church started?

And now they want everyone to hate trans people?

These people are dark.
Advertisement
11-06-2019, 05:26   #51
Irish Guitarist

I've always found it a ridiculous idea to demand that every religious belief that inconveniences you be changed.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife". Fuck that shit. I want to ride the arse off my neighbours wife. Preferably on top of an altar.
11-06-2019, 05:56   #52
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post

HE has nothing but hate in his heart for people and the only way the church can get in the headlines and be relevant is by picking fights and spewing their evil bitter hatred.

These people are dark.
^^^^
I think this lad may have a problem with the catholic church...
11-06-2019, 06:00   #53
Hobosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post

These people are dark.
Have you accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior?
11-06-2019, 06:25   #54
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberrrrrrrr View Post
Church has issue with people who don't conform to their worldview

Meh.
Everyone has problems with those who don't conform to their worldview. Transgenders are as bad.

Fwiw, the RCC is right.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2019, 07:07   #55
Zorya

Quote:
?

On this matter, I found this chap's musings to be interesting. The science of biology is at this time being completely ideologically corrupted. And people involved in the area are too afraid to speak out about it for fear of losing their jobs.

From 1.30 mins...

On the matter of the Church, I purposefully left it at aged 16 because I was disappointed in the overall hypocrisy and because it no longer fulfilled my metaphysical needs. Happily though I never have experienced the blinding rage many seem to have towards it, an unthinking anger which causes them to blame the church for everything from the pimple on their arse to global war. Nor have I ever been attracted by the demanding religion of militant atheism.

When I look around the world we live in now I see that many of the very best things and ideas that exist in it are here because of the civilising force of philosophical religion. The Church, as the most recent embodiment of that sphere of human endeavour, at least for the past 2000 years, has been an unmatched intellectual goad in our history. Its theologians and philosophers prompted the scientific revolution.
Many of those theologians and thinkers trace their intellectual antecedence to the great philosophies of the pagan period, Plato and before, and onwards to the neo-Platonists, without whose ideas we would be significantly impoverished.
Those early European philosophers were in turn influenced from even further afield via hubs like Alexandria and so on, so that thought from places such as Asia co-mingled with emerging ideas in old Europe, and each fertilised the other. This is an enormous part of human evolution.

The impetus of human intellectual evolution has largely been based on non-material thought, metaphysics in essence, the desire to know the unknowable. One could say that from archaeological study we can understand that it has always been metaphysical yearning that has propelled humankind towards all its greatests achievements and evolution. Materialism is a reasonably modern yoke.

In Europe we are surrounded by, immersed in, the physical and intellectual evidence that it was the Church's aspiration towards metaphysical understanding, and the influence of such on the minds of the people, that has given us the great works of art, music, literature, philosophy, architecture which dominate and have shaped for the better our inner and outer landscapes.

This is why I find knee jerk reactions that start with ''The church...blah blah'' to be very immature.

On this passing matter, the Pope, who seems like a very nice chap, from what little I know of him, is simply stating the truth. No biggie.
11-06-2019, 07:09   #56
TuringBot47

Quote:
Originally Posted by the culture of deference View Post
The Vatican has issued an official document rejecting the idea that people can choose or change their genders and insisting on the sexual “complementarity” of men and women to make babies.
For once science and religion are in agreement.
The "sexual complementarity of men and women to make babies" just nails it.

Everyone else deserves a darwin award.
Thanks from:
11-06-2019, 07:13   #57
suicide_circus

even a stopped clock is right twice a day
(2) thanks from:
11-06-2019, 07:29   #58
Hobosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
even a stopped clock is right twice a day
The Vatican identify as a clock? Bloody hypocrites.
11-06-2019, 07:42   #59
Kermit.de.frog

Last edited by Kermit.de.frog; 11-06-2019 at 07:53.
11-06-2019, 08:19   #60
snoopsheep

i wonder how many ppl srsly affected by this issue were seeking the opinion of the RCC on it

ppl informed by RCC edict on such topics were not ever going to be kindly disposed towards the concepts involved regardless

being (or feigning to be) outraged at this entirely unsurprising statement is a staggeringly poor use of one's emotional energy

ppl are allowed to feel they are the wrong gender/sex and they are allowed to take steps about it if they wish. its a personal thing, just like all the other political issues the church has been wrong about lately.

anyone hugely upset by it at this stage probably has to look at themselves and ask why. are they deeply attached to the word of the church or are they deeply attached to being hugely upset by stuff.

hint: you see a lot more evidence of one than the other

nb: the phraseology of "denying the right to exist" when somebody doesnt automatically agree with ones opinion is the frontier of internet awfulness

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion