Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-06-2019, 19:32   #1
Fuaranach

Rock on, Rockall! (it's back)

2019, not 1985. Brexit-created fun just keeps giving. Where's Seán Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus when we need him?

The Scots getting a bit cheeky, it seems: 'Scotland warns Ireland it will force fishing boats to leave Rockall waters' (7 June 2019)

Quote:
The Scottish government has warned the Irish Government it will send its fisheries patrol vessels to force Irish fishing boats to leave a 12-mile zone around Rockall, the tiny disputed island 260 miles west of the Co Donegal coast.

In a formal letter of notice, the Scottish external affairs minister Fiona Hyslop has warned the Irish Government that it will deploy its vessels to protect Scottish fishing rights around Rockall.

The Government here, which contests the Scottish claim on Rockall and also the claim of exclusive fishing rights, has condemned the move but on Friday the Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries Michael Creed briefed fishing industry representatives about the impending Scottish action.

The diplomatic dispute has been festering for months, with the Scottish Government intensifying its complaints to Dublin about what it says is illegal fishing activity by Irish vessels around Rockall.

Last week, Ms Hyslop wrote to the Government to put it on formal notice of the impending enforcement activity, and she spoke to the Tanaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney on Friday.

The Government strongly rejects the Scottish claims.

In a statement this evening, the Irish Government said that its position “has been and remains that the waters around Rockall form part of Union waters under the Common Fisheries Policy, to which the principle of equal access for the vessels of all EU Member States applies. Irish vessels have operated unhindered in the Rockall zone for many decades fishing haddock, squid and other species.”

Mr Coveney said that it was “the longstanding position of the Irish Government is that Irish vessels are entitled to access to Rockall waters.

“We have never recognised UK sovereignty over Rockall and accordingly we have not recognised a territorial sea around it either.
We have tried to work positively with the Scottish authorities and to deal with sensitive issues that flow from it in a spirit of kinship and collaboration. We very much regret that matters have reached this point and intend to do everything possible to achieve a satisfactory resolution,” he said...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 19:39   #2
whisky_galore

We can fire a few missiles, like North Korea.

Oh wait, we don't have any.
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 19:50   #4
hmmm

I thought Brexit might strain relations a bit, but I didn't expect we'd be going to war against Scotland.
07-06-2019, 19:52   #5
Johnny Dogs

Advertisement
07-06-2019, 19:52   #6
Pinch Flat

Yeah right, nothing the lads in the Air Corp couldn’t handle.
07-06-2019, 19:53   #7
recedite

Send a battleship.
Oh wait, we don't have any.
Ask our EU buddies the Germans to send a battleship.
Oh wait, all theirs are lying on the seabed somewhere in the vicinity.
07-06-2019, 19:53   #8
klaaaz

That was some dig, "principle of equal access for the vessels of all EU Member States applies", Scotland will have to definitely not leave the EU now or lose some Rockall fish . They're a bit late complaining about access with Brexit, drawing up a new treaty for them will take years!
07-06-2019, 19:58   #9
odyssey06

I'd be more bothered about this if I saw some of this Rockall bounty in my local supermarket... have you seen the price of prawn sandwiches?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 20:01   #11
Odhinn

What vessels does scotland have?
07-06-2019, 20:10   #12
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
I thought Brexit might strain relations a bit, but I didn't expect we'd be going to war against Scotland.
Remember that the Scots have nuclear submarines + the loch Ness monster in their arsenal, so I'd nay mess with them laddie or you'd be nuked and bitten to death, and all because of a desolate old rock
07-06-2019, 20:11   #13
Fuaranach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
What vessels does scotland have?
HMS 'Bought and sold for English gold'. That's about it.
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 20:15   #14
kowloon

So we're all agreed, war it is.
07-06-2019, 20:16   #15
Patser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
So we're all agreed, war it is.
We'll get our giant to build a causeway to face theirs

Quick Reply
Bold