Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2017, 15:51   #61
steddyeddy

I think vaccination of children should be mandatory. I don't think people should have the right to put their child and others at greater risk.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 15:53   #62
Academic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
Well if I can avoid a disgusting infection and it's free, I gladly take it. I'd prefer a vaccine over the use of antibiotics really, which you need when you catch it.
I hope that everyone understands that antibiotics have no effect on flu. Influenza is a virus.
25-08-2017, 15:53   #63
LirW

Jaysus, my bad with the antibiotics, I'm in the middle of moving with my brain.
I have to admit I missed many flu jabs (I think it was '09 or '10) but I caught it once and it was a very very nasty affair.
Influenza is unfortunately a virus that mutates like crazy therefore if you get one jab in the beginning of the flu season it would be pointless at the end of it because you could easily catch another strain. You could permanently get shots, that's the only way to really be save but I see where medical professionals come from. It can be so horrible and cause some nasty aftermath.
25-08-2017, 15:54   #64
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic View Post
I hope that everyone understands that antibiotics have no effect on flu. Influenza is a virus.
The people that think vaccines are bad often think they cause autism.

Do you really think they know that influenza is a virus?
25-08-2017, 15:56   #65
Hercule Poirot

Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 15:59   #66
ceadaoin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
The people that think vaccines are bad often think they cause autism.

Do you really think they know that influenza is a virus?
Tbf most people who shun all vaccines are probably of the 'colloidal silver cures everything' mindset and would also reject antibiotics in favour of the 'natural' option
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 16:00   #67
LirW

Honestly I love the people drinking bleach for detoxing their bodies even more. Work mate of my stepdad is one of them, absolute nutter.
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 16:12   #68
Hercule Poirot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
Honestly I love the people drinking bleach for detoxing their bodies even more. Work mate of my stepdad is one of them, absolute nutter.
Remember that "drink your urine" craze from a while back?

The problem is, and has been for quite a while, that people are taking advice from famous people who have zero medical background, i.e., Gwennie's macrobiotic diet, the urine drinking, etc. It's like: oh, if Beyonce does it it must be good! Utter crap the lot of it
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 16:27   #69
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
Remember that "drink your urine" craze from a while back?

The problem is, and has been for quite a while, that people are taking advice from famous people who have zero medical background, i.e., Gwennie's macrobiotic diet, the urine drinking, etc. It's like: oh, if Beyonce does it it must be good! Utter crap the lot of it
WHAT!! you mean it doesnt work???
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 17:14   #70
kylith

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
I thought we were pro choice, no?
If an adult doesn't want a vaccination, that's fine. But for children I think we should assume that they don't want to risk blindness or death from measles or paralysis from Polio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzanti View Post
They appear to acknowledge that some are susceptible to allergic reaction. But how are we to know if we're going to have a "life threatening reaction" to a vaccine, if you've never had it before?

I would akin it to handing out peanuts to a class full of kids, who've never had peanuts, without some sort of patch test first.
That's why a GP will have you hang on in their office for a little while after being vaccinated; so that if you do have a reaction you're in the best place to get help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arayess View Post
it is interesting how the consent is thrown out the window in this matter.
I thought consent was an all important concept.

how is forcing a vaccinate on somebody - injecting it into their body any different from other forms of bodily consent.

I know...cos the boards elite says so...we all have freedom of choice once its the choice the mob agree with
Because making a decision that just effects you is one thing. Making a decision that can kill or permanently injure another person is totally different. I didn't have chicken pox when I was a child (there was no vaccine then either), being infected with chicken pox from an unvaccinated child now, as an adult, could kill me. Never mind the fact that there's a reason we vaccinate: these diseases are not 'the sniffles', they can cause paralysis, brain damage, blindness, and death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadaoin. View Post
My daughter is up to date on her vaccines. Her school did ask for a list from her doctor of everything she'd had but I don't know if she would have been denied entry to the school of I didn't provide it. something like the hpv one I would research more before allowing her to get it. It's relatively new and as far as I remember it has been associated with some negative side effects such as girls developing narcolepsy?
According to the Narcolepsy Network, narcolepsy usually first manifests after the age of 10: roughly when girls would be getting the HPV vaccine. It is probably the same false correlation as people see with MMR and autism: it's not that the vaccine causes the disorder, it's that the disorder manifests around the time that the vaccine is administered.
25-08-2017, 17:18   #71
Conor74

Any anti- vaxxer I've bothered listening to - "I did a lot a lot of research and I decided not to vaccinate them"

Me - "You went to med school, got your degree, did your internship and qualified as a Doctor?"

Them - "no, I checked it up on Google and blah blah blah"

Me - "we'll change the topic"

There is no point.
25-08-2017, 17:22   #72
Ipso

This is the person that some people relied on for medical decisions.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...eneration-woo/
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 17:26   #73
mzungu

It is bad enough that anti-vaxxers put their own children's health at risk, but putting other peoples children at risk is unforgivable.
25-08-2017, 17:28   #74
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
This is the person that some people relied on for medical decisions.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...eneration-woo/

*blinks* wtf!
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 17:47   #75
Outlaw Pete

Some people want safe drinking water, free of pollutants, contaminants and toxins.

They want the relevant science to be thorough in that regard also.

Yet I've never heard such people being referred to as Anti-Water!
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion