Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with people flaming at GAA matches?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Berserker wrote: »
    Jump on the Maynooth line train into town on the morning of a match and you'll see it. I've nothing against it, as it's good natured for the most-part. Didn't know you could drink alcohol on Irish rail but it's probably easier for the authorities to turn a blind eye to it. Liffey valley is another good place to spot the GAA fan in all it's glory. A few Kilkenny fans came in to Butlers yesterday morning when we were having a cup of coffee. Had a bag of sandwiches with them, the sign of a true GAA fan. Baffled by the whole idea of tipping the staff!

Tipping staff is a baffling practice it's not really an irish thing it's something thats been imported from America, restaurants should just pay their staff properly and increase the price of food to cover the cost.

When you go to a cafe/bar/restaurant I expect that the cost of the meal covers the cost of it getting to your table if it doesn't then that is the cafe/bar/restaurant's fault.

Other industries seem to be able to cope without the concept of tipping people and pay their staff properly so why is the cafe/bar/restaurant immune from the responsibility of paying their staff properly.

The entire concept of tipping is a pile of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

very much off topic but tipping is just a nice thing to do, if you cant afford to tip dont bother, no point getting upset over it, its just a few euro.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    very much off topic but tipping is just a nice thing to do, if you cant afford to tip dont bother, no point getting upset over it, its just a few euro.

Great, I'd like the customers I talk to on the phone in work to forward me a few bob, I mean it's a nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

cjmc wrote: »
    I’ve never seen boys in cars tearing into flagons and cans just before a game seen young lads pissed alright. Loads of people in pubs etc but to say it’s a GAA thing is bollix. Perhaps think of an intervention for your friend

Jump on the Maynooth line train into town on the morning of a match and you'll see it. I've nothing against it, as it's good natured for the most-part. Didn't know you could drink alcohol on Irish rail but it's probably easier for the authorities to turn a blind eye to it. Liffey valley is another good place to spot the GAA fan in all it's glory. A few Kilkenny fans came in to Butlers yesterday morning when we were having a cup of coffee. Had a bag of sandwiches with them, the sign of a true GAA fan. Baffled by the whole idea of tipping the staff!
    But Kilkenny weren't playing in Dublin yesterday!

Great, I'd like the customers I talk to on the phone in work to forward me a few bob, I mean it's a nice thing to do.
    Presumably you're not in a very low-paid job where tipping has been inbuilt into the pay structure.

I'm so fed-up with this "bUt i dOn'T tIp mY pOsTmAn" sh1te-talk. That's right, because you're not availing of his services for an experience over an ongoing period in the day, where his hospitality is relevant to you.

If all tipping were cancelled in the morning, your restaurant bill would rise proportionately to the average tip, because staff are unlikely to be retained when their pay is cut. So you'd end up paying anyway, without the discretion to reward good service.

On topic? I attend GAA matches at least once a month. Of course you get the odd-few who'll be well oiled, it has never occurred that this is just a GAA issue? (If it is even an issue)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

But Kilkenny weren't playing in Dublin yesterday!

Fair enough but there were four people in Kilkenny jerseys who looked set up for a day of GAA in there.
    Tipping staff is a baffling practice it's not really an irish thing it's something thats been imported from America, restaurants should just pay their staff properly and increase the price of food to cover the cost.

The entire concept of tipping is a pile of ****e.

It's not really. I think it's a nice gesture for good service. The staff in these places are probably getting paid the minimum wage, so a euro from everyone who buys a cup of coffee adds up to a nice chunk of cash for them. I'd much rather give it direct to the staff. We all know what would happen if cafes etc decided to include the tip in the cost of the product.
    On topic? I attend GAA matches at least once a month. Of course you get the odd-few who'll be well oiled, it has never occurred that this is just a GAA issue? (If it is even an issue)

It's an issue but it's not specific to the GAA.

Presumably you're not in a very low-paid job where tipping has been inbuilt into the pay structure.

I'm so fed-up with this "bUt i dOn'T tIp mY pOsTmAn" sh1te-talk. That's right, because you're not availing of his services for an experience over an ongoing period in the day, where his hospitality is relevant to you.

If all tipping were cancelled in the morning, your restaurant bill would rise proportionately to the average tip, because staff are unlikely to be retained when their pay is cut. So you'd end up paying anyway, without the discretion to reward good service.

It would be much better if Restaurants to paid their staff properly and if that comes with an increase in the price of food then fair enough.

The whole concept of tipping is a pile of crap and allows employers to get away without paying their staff properly.

I don't have a problem paying the extra money I have a problem with it being implied you should pay it when it's not on the bill, the cost of any service in any industry should be explicitly stated not coming with the implication you have to leave a tip.

Fair enough but there were four people in Kilkenny jerseys who looked set up for a day of GAA in there.

It's not really. I think it's a nice gesture for good service. The staff in these places are probably getting paid the minimum wage, so a euro from everyone who buys a cup of coffee adds up to a nice chunk of cash for them. I'd much rather give it direct to the staff. We all know what would happen if cafes etc decided to include the tip in the cost of the product.

Pay your staff properly and the problem is solved.The concept of tipping is a load of nonsense that has let employers of the hook for years, it allows them to take advantage of their staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It would be much better if Restaurants to paid their staff properly and if that comes with an increase in the price of food then fair enough.

The whole concept of tipping is a pile of crap and allows employers to get away without paying their staff properly.

They'll increase the price of food but the salary increase will not be passed on.

They'll increase the price of food but the salary increase will not be passed on.

The fact is the service provided in a restaurant is no different than the service provided in any shop,McDonald's etc yet nobody says you must tip them.

I don't have a problem tipping I do it, but I find the entire idea that you must tip and there is an expectation for you to tip the staff in a restaurant bizzare. It really doesn't make any sense why that particular job should receive a tip and people doing similar jobs don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but then people start to expect it, and then people start to depend on it like in the States, and next thing you know you're being chased down the street for not tipping enough (perhaps because you can't afford it). I know it hasn't gotten that bad here, but it probably will.
    That's the problem. It shouldn't be inbuilt into the pay structure.

Anyway, it's been a few years since I've been to a GAA match (and I used to go regularly) but on the occasion of travelling to Croke Park or somewhere even further afield, I'd often have an extra little supply of alcohol (which my username might suggest ;) ). No harm in it so long as you don't go too mad (and don't have kids depending on you to look after them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Pay your staff properly and the problem is solved.The concept of tipping is a load of nonsense that has let employers of the hook for years, it allows them to take advantage of their staff.
    ...And their customers.

Sure there were, and as you said they 'had a bag of sandwiches with them'

I smell porky's and it ain't from the bag of sandwiches!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I'd say there will be a right few Irish soccer fans tanked tonight at the Aviva and certainly last Friday in Copenhagan. There would be probably be a lot more if the games were on Saturdays and Sundays and not during the week, and the tickets so expensive. Ireland soccer matches about 50 quid, most GAA championship games 15-20.

I was in Clones the past two Sundays and 2 other Ulster games and there was a lot of drinking done before and after, Clones seems to GAA piss up HQ. Small wee town thousands on the lash. Good craic though no real trouble. Armagh ones can get a bit rowdy mind but I didn't see any fights which was good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It is hardly a customer's role to launch investigations in to IR setups, creditor payment frequency, or revenue compliance etc. of a vendor on the occasion of every transaction.

Those issues are between the hostelry owner and their staff.

The customer is only responsible for paying a clearly-indicated price.

I myself love America - but let's leave their senseless tipping culture where we found it. I always say we insist on importing the worst things from that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

who would have thought a discussion about drinking at GAA matches would turn into a debate about tipping in restaurants. i love boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

flaming? :confused: that's a first for me ... I must be getting old.
    In my day we'd say "getting $hitfaced" or "getting off our t1ts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That’s often an excuse to justify low tips.

One thing that tips do is a kind of profit sharing.

topper75 wrote: »
    It is hardly a customer's role to launch investigations in to IR setups, creditor payment frequency, or revenue compliance etc. of a vendor on the occasion of every transaction.

Those issues are between the hostelry owner and their staff.

The customer is only responsible for paying a clearly-indicated price.

I myself love America - but let's leave their senseless tipping culture where we found it. I always say we insist on importing the worst things from that place.

Irish people have tipped for generations now.

I don't have a problem paying the extra money I have a problem with it being implied you should pay it when it's not on the bill, the cost of any service in any industry should be explicitly stated not coming with the implication you have to leave a tip.
    So, just to be clear -- you want to be forced to pay an additional fee, as opposed to having discretion as to pay, based on the service?

I gotta say love, I don't think I could agree. I think our culture of tipping works pretty nicely for everyone. Staff have a great incentive to provide attentive, friendly service; and you can decide whether or not to adjust your bill accordingly.

If tipping is abolished, we'll all pay the same to a good server or to an ignorant one, because staff will not just accept an overnight reduction in income (and quite rightly).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Tipping is fine . I hate however when it is in your face. That pisses me off.

I think that tipping is a lot more interesting than GAA bashing.

Given how dull, boring and uninteresting GAA bashers are it makes sense really.

I am looking forward to when an ethnically challenged, non-Irish homosexual GAA supporter gets hammered before attending a match at Croke park this summer. If they manage to get beaten up whilst at the match we should get something to discuss, finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Irish people have tipped for generations now.

Indeed they have on a voluntary basis and I've been known to be partake myself when somebody went above and beyond! Ever try NOT leaving a tip in America?

topper75 wrote: »
    Indeed they have on a voluntary basis and I've been known to be partake myself when somebody went above and beyond! Ever try NOT leaving a tip in America?

Not deliberately but I forgot once and paid a tip the next day.

The day I get a refund when service/product is shyte is the day I start tipping.

The day I get a refund when service/product is shyte is the day I start tipping.

You should ask dan. In those cases though - particularly bad service - you don’t have to tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Never knew that, cheers for the insight!

HTH

Advertisement