Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with people flaming at GAA matches?

Options
  • 09-06-2019 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Look, not a fan of the gah myself but this is just an observation rather than a criticism.

Every Sunday from probably 11AM onwards I see people tearing into cans and naggins in cars and busses on the way to games or already at the location of the game in a local pub and well on it.

I totally understand having a drink at a match (although there's no bars at any GAA grounds outside of a few so mainly the rugby and international Football) but I can't wrap my head around the binge drinking at these games. A friend of mine who wouldn't watch a game of hurling if it was on in his backyard has gone boozing to the last two hurling games.

Not trying to act holier than thou, just don't understand it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You mean you actually watch the games sober?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Look, not a fan of the gah myself but this is just an observation rather than a criticism.

Every Sunday from probably 11AM onwards I see people tearing into cans and naggins in cars and busses on the way to games or already at the location of the game in a local pub and well on it.

I totally understand having a drink at a match (although there's no bars at any GAA grounds outside of a few so mainly the rugby and international Football) but I can't wrap my head around the binge drinking at these games. A friend of mine who wouldn't watch a game of hurling if it was on in his backyard has gone boozing to the last two hurling games.

People drink at all sorts of sporting occassions and some people don't even need a sporting occasion for an excuse to drink.

Another really poor attempt at a GAA bashing thread in After Hours, any chance the mods could have a permanent thread at the top of the page and everyone can go there when they want to have a rant against the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Generally a good day out.

Highly unlikely to get into trouble with rival fans.

Cheaper to attend than the equivalent soccer or rugby games.

Each to their own.

Up Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ve never seen boys in cars tearing into flagons and cans just before a game
    .seen young lads pissed alright. Loads of people in pubs etc but to say it’s a GAA thing is bollix
    Perhaps think of an intervention for your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Head to the local after mass on a Sunday, have 5 or 6 pints then organise a lift to the match. Back on the gargle then after the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

No bars at GAA games? I wouldn't drink at games that often but you can get a beer at most county grounds I've ever been to (on big match days particularly), even if you can't bring it in to your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A friend of mine who wouldn't watch a game of hurling if it was on in his backyard has gone boozing to the last two hurling games.

You've probably answered your own question there. I was asked to a one-day Cricket match a few years back in Malahide, good atmosphere and all that but Cricket is desperate stuff to watch, so I got flootered with a few likeminds.

To be fair I go to a lot of summer GAA and yes there are a good few on it for the day, but there are an equal amount of families and seniors etc and really ive never seen any hassle due to it, except maybe a few gobshytes getting sunburnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

No bars at GAA games? I wouldn't drink at games that often but you can get a beer at most county grounds I've ever been to (on big match days particularly), even if you can't bring it in to your seat.
    Never knew that, cheers for the insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hello its IRELAND!??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Generally a good day out.

Highly unlikely to get into trouble with rival fans.

Cheaper to attend than the equivalent soccer or rugby games.

Each to their own.

Up Wexford!

not sure about this, it costs either 15 euro or 20 euro to go watch the league of ireland club i support.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    not sure about this, it costs either 15 euro or 20 euro to go watch the league of ireland club i support.

He said the equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Larbre34 wrote: »

He said the equivalent.
    Ah yes I forgot the Wexford footballers won the Superbowl this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It happens anyways, not just cos of any sport.
    All social events are intricately linked with alcohol in this country, has been that way for decades. Sure back in the 70s when my dad was growing up you'd head off to by the meat for the Sunday roast and there was a tap in the backroom to have a pint from.

You can't turn a corner in some places without looking at the next pub, it's not something new tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I have flammable Union Jacks for sale if your interested. PM me .

Great for getting the crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I would say that a high percentage of people who attend gaa matches would not be drinking due to family and age profiles. In all my years going to matches with a wide circle of friends and family nobody would take drink before or during a game, usually after the game at home pub when the game was analysed and a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You should try going to a cricket match. You could give the whole day drinking at one of them, nod off for a while, wake up and get stuck in again.

Ah yes I forgot the Wexford footballers won the Superbowl this year.

Explains why they're too tired to do well at Gaelic football I guess.

No, but their hurlers do get 15-20,000 through the door for championship games and thats beyond the fantasies of any LoI. The quality of the product between top tier GAA and provincial rugby on one hand and domestic soccer on the other is night and day, and thats the same 20 quid to get in.

Explains why they're too tired to do well at Gaelic football I guess.

No, but their hurlers do get 15-20,000 through the door for championship games and thats beyond the fantasies of any LoI. The quality of the product between top tier GAA and provincial rugby on one hand and domestic soccer on the other is night and day, and thats the same 20 quid to get in.

That is a matter of opinion to be honest, i played gaelic football for 20 years but id much prefer watching dundalk v shamrock rovers than dublin v mayo. the standard of football is decent in loi now. who wants to see 15 players in their own half, its awful to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

He said the equivalent.

True. It's free to go watch your local soccer club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That is a matter of opinion to be honest, i played gaelic football for 20 years but id much prefer watching dundalk v shamrock rovers than dublin v mayo. the standard of football is decent in loi now. who wants to see 15 players in their own half, its awful to watch.

Dublin v Mayo games are usually very good and rarely overly defensive.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Dublin v Mayo games are usually very good and rarely overly defensive.

they aren't too bad but all teams including mayo and dublin retreat as soon as the opposition attack, it has ruined gaelic football for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It does but there’s a big difference between 3-4000 on a Friday night and 30,000 on a Sunday .
    The fact GAA games are on sundays when most people are off makes it an all dayer event too .
    If the soccer heads had every come up with a county based model they too would have had similar crowds . Imagine a Dublin v Derry all Ireland soccer final with McLean and Duffy playing for Derry ! It would pack the Aviva .
    The GAA with all its failings has the guy down the road playing for his local parish or county which you can’t buy and is the reason so many attend or follow their local teams.in the gaa everyone is a neighbour or working with or someway connected to the team .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A Munster championship is just a flaming Moe away.
    flamingmoe1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm so old that "flaming" mean "arguing on internet forums".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

they aren't too bad but all teams including mayo and dublin retreat as soon as the opposition attack, it has ruined gaelic football for me.

Carlow yesterday down 7 points and bring a defender!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

cjmc wrote: »
    I’ve never seen boys in cars tearing into flagons and cans just before a game seen young lads pissed alright. Loads of people in pubs etc but to say it’s a GAA thing is bollix. Perhaps think of an intervention for your friend

Jump on the Maynooth line train into town on the morning of a match and you'll see it. I've nothing against it, as it's good natured for the most-part. Didn't know you could drink alcohol on Irish rail but it's probably easier for the authorities to turn a blind eye to it. Liffey valley is another good place to spot the GAA fan in all it's glory. A few Kilkenny fans came in to Butlers yesterday morning when we were having a cup of coffee. Had a bag of sandwiches with them, the sign of a true GAA fan. Baffled by the whole idea of tipping the staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

biko wrote: »

Luckily I was reading, and not listening. Would've got a completely different story in my head if I had heard "Flaming" and"GAA bashing".

Still not sure what Flaming is, is it drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

does he mean drinking or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm so progressive it means being reeeeeeeeal gay.

flamer (plural flamers)
    1. (colloquial, often derogatory) A very flamboyant ("flaming"), effeminate gay male.
    2. (computing, slang) One who flames, or posts vitriolic criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Berserker wrote: »
    cjmc wrote: »
    I’ve never seen boys in cars tearing into flagons and cans just before a game seen young lads pissed alright. Loads of people in pubs etc but to say it’s a GAA thing is bollix. Perhaps think of an intervention for your friend

Jump on the Maynooth line train into town on the morning of a match and you'll see it. I've nothing against it, as it's good natured for the most-part. Didn't know you could drink alcohol on Irish rail but it's probably easier for the authorities to turn a blind eye to it. Liffey valley is another good place to spot the GAA fan in all it's glory. A few Kilkenny fans came in to Butlers yesterday morning when we were having a cup of coffee. Had a bag of sandwiches with them, the sign of a true GAA fan. Baffled by the whole idea of tipping the staff!
    Where's Butler's?

Advertisement