Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2020, 10:40   #61
Hangdogroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxsgreen View Post
Going to the video library , renting your video, getting it home to discover its crap
Or doing that annoying thing the whole way through where the picture breaks up every ten or so seconds
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2020, 10:41   #62
Bootsy

Having to have an auntie or cousin in England get you anything you wanted from Argos or Boots.

Having to get up and walk over to the tv to change the channels.
15-11-2020, 10:42   #63
xieann

Windup toys.
Thanks from:
15-11-2020, 10:44   #64
Masala

Thumbing a lift
15-11-2020, 10:45   #65
Masala

Throw in turf
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2020, 10:47   #66
tea and coffee

Bargain last minute holidays from Teletext
15-11-2020, 10:55   #67
dresden8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valresnick View Post
Don’t write off this generation just yet. They may have grown up without a lot of skills from the past but they are making up for that with their awareness of our planet. Sure, there are a few bad apples and lazy kids around but I know many a 50 year old person who can barely make a dinner and has awful taste in music. Every generation blames the one before ! Great song !
My girlfriend's 17 year old has racked up more air miles than I have in 51 years. She blames me for global warming.
15-11-2020, 11:10   #68
Dufflecoat Fanny

Pubic Lice
15-11-2020, 11:35   #69
CelticRambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist33 View Post
Writing a letter to someone
In the last year, I have received four hand-written messages, three through the post and one left by a guest on the mantlepiece, all written by twenty-somethings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleet_admiral View Post
My wife's friends 13 year old daughter doesn't know how to turn on an oven or butter bread. I do blame the (single) mother but I fear there is a generation coming up that don't have basic skills in self sufficiency.
You're right to blame the parent(s). It's the overprotective 30-50 year olds that won't let their children handle knives, fire, raw food, etc who are the threat to our existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojesius View Post
Wallpaper on school books
Wallpaper? So posh! Ours were wrapped with HWilliams brown paper bags turned inside out!
Advertisement
15-11-2020, 11:39   #70
Fuascailteoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valresnick View Post
Don’t write off this generation just yet. They may have grown up without a lot of skills from the past but they are making up for that with their awareness of our planet. Sure, there are a few bad apples and lazy kids around but I know many a 50 year old person who can barely make a dinner and has awful taste in music. Every generation blames the one before ! Great song !
Awareness of the planet except for short life tech, fast fashion, cosmetics and travel
15-11-2020, 11:46   #71
Valresnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuascailteoir View Post
Awareness of the planet except for short life tech, fast fashion, cosmetics and travel
All driven and created by middle aged CEO’s who come from a very greedy power hungry generation.
(3) thanks from:
15-11-2020, 11:47   #72
Rodin

Taking responsibility for one's actions...
15-11-2020, 11:47   #73
snoopsheep

findus crispy pancakes
15-11-2020, 12:02   #74
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Havoc View Post
Phoning people at specific times. You knew everyone's routine. There was no mobile phone or catch-up TV so you had to phone someone's house when they weren't at football or something good wasn't on TV. Every social meeting was organised in advance. I don't think kids are missing out by not having mobiles or catch up TV but it doesn't help their organisational or communication skills.
I'm going to disagree and say what I've observed while staying with my Dad over the summer is that the opposite is true. Granted this is in the country whereas i live usually in the city, but neighbours and friends call in person or on the phone willy-nilly. Little care seems to be given to the time or what we might be doing. Also it seems the phone and door is answered no matter what.

As a mid-thirties man, an unexpected phone call from a friend is very rare, and calls in person are even rarer. In fact the only unexpected calls to the house are a delivery I'd forgotten about or was earlier than expected. Also unless I'm expecting something, I have no problem letting either phone or door go if its inconvenient.

"picking black berries".

I picked blackberries yesterday.

Last edited by denartha; 15-11-2020 at 12:08.
15-11-2020, 12:08   #75
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyMcGhost View Post
Or not rewound
Had a little trick to avoid that. Used to look at the tape before putting it in, and determine if it was rewound or not.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion