Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

191 reg cars...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen a new Toyota Rav4 today in silver new model. At first I was not sure what it was thought it was a Peugeot then realised it was the new Rav4. Barely out of the showroom I woud say and paving slaps were being but in the back of it. It was Kildare reg 1049. No noise from it at all when it drove in and then when it left

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

I'm at the stage of my life where I should be in a sports car. Thirties, single, no kids, money to throw at something nice and all I see is compromise with a 2 door coupe. Unless its an s-class coupe or a 6 series or the likes, sports cars in general sacrifice comfort, space, noise and ride quality. I just can't bring myself to put up with any of those for a cooler looking car. I've looked at GT86s, F-Types, R8s, 997s, Vantages, Mustangs, the list goes on. But the interiors are far from luxurious or super comfortable (and the nicer the car, the older it is in my budget and the interiors are just downright cheap/outdated); I think i'd find so many things irritating about them in the long run, I just couldn't live with them every day.

Large german saloons and flagship coupes tick virtually every box for a road car.

Saw this Couldn’t help but not reply as your criteria and situation is very similar to me.

I’m single, in my 30’s and driving 997 S Daily, lovely place to be, interior not too dated and fitted a Denison system for my Bluetooth etc. I find it more comfortable and less thrashy than my previous mk7 Golf R.
    Did a very intensive weekend driving trip around Scotland..not one complaint of back ache or “I getting sick of this feeling”.
    Actually quite practical when you know how to use the space..sure did my Christmas shopping in it and managed to fit it all in. Ferried my niece around a few times too.

Out of all your suggestions, I would revisit the 997 S and give it a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

How are the full month new sales numbers looking for January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

sk8board wrote: »

Today is still January.

Might be out tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw my first new Ford Focus today.
    It was a lovely shade of blue with blacked out grille.
    Very nice looking car.

https://www.ford.ie/cars/new-focus/gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Anyone got them ? Please ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Today is still January so figures are not going to available. Maybe tomorrow or the next few days.

Ms

GusGus wrote: »
    Anyone got them ? Please ...

Patience is a virtue. Whats the rush? That's the problem these days everyone is impatient and wants everything now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I saw a white 191 M2 competition pack this evening. No pictures sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭helen87

elperello wrote: »
    I saw my first new Ford Focus today.
    It was a lovely shade of blue with blacked out grille.
    Very nice looking car.

https://www.ford.ie/cars/new-focus/gallery

i bought a focus st-lin in blue. love it, it has been nicely updated from the last version.

Big drops for most .

I guess a lot of new cars only coming later this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

AMKC wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue. Whats the rush? That's the problem these days everyone is impatient and wants everything now.

It's 9.30, Feb 1.... how many 191's registered I wonder today ?

GusGus wrote: »
    Big drops for most .

I guess a lot of new cars only coming later this year

Toyota were winding down old models.

Only 25 Auris (old model been phased out) sold for example.

311 Corolla - again the old Saloon been phased out and new model not available in January.

Electric cars showing a significant increase 811 EVs sold vs 104 in January 2018.

Remarkably the Kona EV was the most popular option in the Hyundai Kona range

Are those Konas actually sold though as opposed to them being blitzed by Hyundai Ireland to their dealer network as "demos". Or are many people really spending 37k on a small electric SUV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Would be interesting to get the stats for the last few days of January to see how many cars were registered just to push up the numbers.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are those Konas actually sold though as opposed to them being blitzed by Hyundai Ireland to their dealer network as "demos". Or are many people really spending 37k on a small electric SUV?

Difficult to say - but the fact the EV had more registerstions then petrol or diesel makes it more likely that the cars were genuine sales.

Because Hyundai are more likely to be caught blatently inflating sales figures if they do it in a way that makes the EV more popular then diesel or petrol.

Yes they can pre reg the EVs but I would take the view that if they were to do so - it would mean "selling" less EVs then petrol.

I mean diesel only sold 60 in the Kona - "sell 100 EVs" and youve outsold diesel.

My understanding from comments ive read is that dealers were allocated something like 3 cars per dealer to sell as new cars when the Kona EV arrived late last year.

What they've been allocated since and for what purpose I don't know.

Even taking diesel out of the equation, I just find it difficult to believe that more people went out and spent circa 30k (taking the grant into account) for a small crossover when the equivalent petrol model starts at 22k.

As for manufacturers fudging figures, they have been at that for years, look at all the prereg models for sale. If you look at the SIMI stats they are based off new registrations figures which I presume include vehicles registered by dealers with zero miles. It's all about bragging rights regarding the best selling brand/model in the first month/quarter of every registration change. For example Hyundai and Toyota have been been battling each other here for market share for a number of years now, both claiming this and that around based on new registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Old diesel wrote: »

Electric cars showing a significant increase 811 EVs sold vs 104 in January 2018

This could be a disaster for electric car owners, as it currently stands, there isn't enough chargers around the country. I have noticed over the last few months a good few charging locations full, but if the sales jump by that much, we will see people queuing to get their car charged.

GeneHunt wrote: »
    This could be a disaster for electric car owners, as it currently stands, there isn't enough chargers around the country. I have noticed over the last few months a good few charging locations full, but if the sales jump by that much, we will see people queuing to get their car charged.

Old link, but relevant nonetheless https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2264588/75-petrol-stations-40-years-forcing-drivers-travel-pay-tanks.html

If I were to buy an electric car, the obvious thing to do would be to have a charging system in my home. Electric cars owners generally know what they are doing, and tend to do far more research than 'normal' car buyers.
    I also doubt that Hyundai are stocking up on electric models, and registering them to make figures look good. A recent review of the Kona in one of last Sundays papers would be enough to boost sales.

That's exactly what did it the year before last with the Tucson as did Toyota with the CHR at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Even taking diesel out of the equation, I just find it difficult to believe that more people went out and spent circa 30k (taking the grant into account) for a small crossover when the equivalent petrol model starts at 22k.

0% BIK and a useable range. I'd say a huge chunk of the Kona EV reg's were company cars.

It makes no difference if the Kona's were company cars, pre registered or whatever, the fact is that they exist, and are here. I doubt they will sit gathering dust. Just face the fact that there is a viable option to petrol, diesel or hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

They're €38 k AFTER the Grant AFAIK - from an ad on Carzone: Full Retail Price is €48999. Price quoted is after VRT Exemption/SEAI Grant/Residual VRT have been removed. Terms and Conditions appl

Keep your pants on, nobody claimed they were going to be gathering dust or denying that are here. But tax incentives for business users is a big insight behind these numbers whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Here is the latest overall in a bit more detail.

abEtJ1j.jpg

There's a few big jumps in sales on a few of those cars listed.

The biggest surprise for me is the Ford Ecosport with 211 (2019) vs 29 (2018) as they are out a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I think with Skoda and Seat having decent deals on was the cause of their YOY increase. I definitely have seen a number of new Skodas of all varieties in Sligo. I also wonder if VW will get a spike later in the year when the new golf and t-cross are out. I think people could be holding off here on making a new car purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Anything that's not one of those fake SUVs is getting hammered.

Mercedes have taken a pounding, can't understand why.

Diesel now below 50% of new car sales for the first time since 2008.

Toyota being hammered with no Auris/Corollas available, so much for the advertising telling us they had 1500 handraisers etc! Pricing is also outrageous for these cars as well, even when supply improves it's hard to see why someone would chose one when they could have a Focus for €5k less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

There's a few big jumps in sales on a few of those cars listed.

The biggest surprise for me is the Ford Ecosport with 211 (2019) vs 29 (2018) as they are out a few years now.

EcoSport has been facelifted looks much better similar to the edge/Kuga.

ofcork wrote: »
    EcoSport has been facelifted looks much better similar to the edge/Kuga.

The Eco Sport is one seriously ugly car imo. It’s just all wrong in its stance and shape .

• Advertisement

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think with Skoda and Seat having decent deals on was the cause of their YOY increase. I definitely have seen a number of new Skodas of all varieties in Sligo. I also wonder if VW will get a spike later in the year when the new golf and t-cross are out. I think people could be holding off here on making a new car purchase.

I think VW are doing pretty okay as is, the current Golf is at 10 place. They have five models in the top 25 cars sales!

The dying the family saloon segment, has the Passat (440 sold) still at the top in 24 place, it's nearest rival is the Skoda Superb (398) (the same group - VAG) at 26 place the next rival is the Ford Mondeo (204) at 49 place followed by the Opel Insignia (146) in 58 place and the Hyaudai I40 (141) at 61 place followed by the Mazda 6 (133) in 63 place and the Peugeot 508 (61) in 99 place.

Mercedes have taken a pounding, can't understand why.

Yeah that is strange, as I have noticed since about 2016/ 2017 Mercedes sitting in driveways that used to have Audi's and BMW's. There C & E class sales have almost halved.

The Mercedes Benz C Class with 112 (2019) vs 198 (2018)
    The Mercedes Benz E Class with 261 (2019) vs 536 (2018)

The really strange one is the Mercedes Benz GLA Class with only 5 (2019) vs 49 (2018), but I think the Volvo XC40 is drawing in a lot of customers with 90 (2019) vs 8 (2018) and maybe BMW stole a few sales with the X2 too with 27 (2019) vs 1 (2018).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Merc bmw and Audi all with pretty huge falls - bmw can rightly say the 3 series isn’t available for test drive until this month, and it’ll sell by the truckload.
    However Audi and Merc have pretty new lineups and any older models got the refreshed infotainment etc.

The Mercedes YoY fall is a complete mess really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Merc bmw and Audi all with pretty huge falls - bmw can rightly say the 3 series isn’t available for test drive until this month, and it’ll sell by the truckload.
    However Audi and Merc have pretty new lineups and any older models got the refreshed infotainment etc.

The Mercedes YoY fall is a complete mess really.

Buy a nearly new UK at massive discount with sterling over last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think a lot of people in that end of the market are willing to buy a nearly new Merc/BMW/Audi from NI/UK and save thousands rather than buy a new or nearly new one here.

Worth mentioning that the likes of Merc and BMW were offering reduced list prices or dealer contributions this time last year due to the weak sterling. They ain't doing it this year and are paying for it.

More or less the entire Mercedes range is either in the process of getting new engines for WLTP, or there's a new model on the way.

E Class is about the only model available from stock or that can be ordered at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surprised with those electric sales. wonder if the lack of proper infrastructure is the factor holding it back.

R.O.R wrote: »
    More or less the entire Mercedes range is either in the process of getting new engines for WLTP, or there's a new model on the way.

E Class is about the only model available from stock or that can be ordered at the moment.

Didn't Mercedes only launch a few new models in 2018 though? A Class, CLS and most recently a revised C Class? I'd hope those were WLTP approved when launched and apart from the CLS I'd think the A and C Class would be their volume sellers along with the E Class.
    OSI wrote: »
    Yes. Each dealer got an allocation for the year and most sold before last year was even up.

Indeed as ROR was saying earlier, 0% BIK meant there was a big uptake from businesses on them. Would be nice to see a breakdown of registrations by business v private individuals but the figures are not that granular. 38k for an EV Kona versus 23k for a petrol Kona is a huge gap all the same and one I'd say a lot of private individuals would struggle with even with total cost of ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We get a lot of mileage at work.

Twice in last while I've turned down vehicles.

Car van at 5% bik no use as 2 kids.

Not paying the bik on a car. Prefer my mileage.

I'd drive a 0% EV once the range suited me. Kona might do 90% of my days. The other 10% ibcould surely find a charger somewhere. Or plan accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I think VW are doing pretty okay as is, the current Golf is at 10 place. They have five models in the top 25 cars sales!

The dying the family saloon segment, has the Passat (440 sold) still at the top in 24 place, it's nearest rival is the Skoda Superb (398) (the same group - VAG) at 26 place the next rival is the Ford Mondeo (204) at 49 place followed by the Opel Insignia (146) in 58 place and the Hyaudai I40 (141) at 61 place followed by the Mazda 6 (133) in 63 place and the Peugeot 508 (61) in 99 place.

I’m not disagreeing with you but the Golf is down 1/3 YoY. I think when the new Golf launches VW will see an uplift or people could wait until next year. I do expect VW to be too if the table again at years end. I do believe there are some issues with their diesels so could explain some of their slow start, but that’s only hearsay.

But yes i Think the Saloon is going to be replaced by the SUV. I think the saloon will essentially be the executive car and not the family car. Personally I would have never considered one until I had to rent one last year. I can definitely see where families will flock to them. I’m still happy enough with my polo.

Ms

Seen a lovely blue 191 VW Polo and a silver 191 Qushqui today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Oh I nearly forgot to say I seen a really nice 191-MH-XXXX Audi A6 Avant :cool: on Friday morning, sorry no photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I drove past a 191 Focus this evening with a 3/19 tax disc in the window

Who taxes their brand new car for three months? Rental I assume. But odd to see all the same

I know..little to be worrying me..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah that is strange, as I have noticed since about 2016/ 2017 Mercedes sitting in driveways that used to have Audi's and BMW's. There C & E class sales have almost halved.

The Mercedes Benz C Class with 112 (2019) vs 198 (2018)
    The Mercedes Benz E Class with 261 (2019) vs 536 (2018)

The really strange one is the Mercedes Benz GLA Class with only 5 (2019) vs 49 (2018), but I think the Volvo XC40 is drawing in a lot of customers with 90 (2019) vs 8 (2018) and maybe BMW stole a few sales with the X2 too with 27 (2019) vs 1 (2018).

We were interested in a GLA for new in January. Sat down, with the sales guy in Cork.
    Ok, so interested in the GLA 1.6 petrol for 34K.
    That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Yes, everything gone up. Roadtax on the 1.6 is €570...
    Goodbye.

I was told by a friend of mine, who works for a massive German company, that Mercedes owned up to the emmissions cheating, just as EU inspectors were walking into HQ. I’ve never seen anything else to back it up, but its an interesting story, and would seem to be borne out by the increases.

Also spoke to Audi at the time, and he told us that the A4 is struggling badly to make emmissions in manual petrol. He told us that anyone who ordered a manual was going to get an automatic, as it was the only one that makes the cut.

Lexus also went up 3K on the CT200, but road tax stays at €180, so I doubt that was due to emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I drove past a 191 Focus this evening with a 3/19 tax disc in the window

Who taxes their brand new car for three months? Rental I assume. But odd to see all the same

I know..little to be worrying me..

Or someone who wants the new reg but can just about make the payments and can only afford to tax it three months at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Or someone who wants the new reg but can just about make the payments and can only afford to tax it three months at a time
    Or someone who wants their tax renewal to come in in March and not January when they renew it for 12 months next time? I've done something similar in the past to stagger motor tax and insurance so they didn't both fall in the same month.

Or someone who works in the Ford dealer and its their demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Or someone like me who likes to insure and tax their car 6 months apart.

A6 40 TDI in a a grey in Cork city, not too gone on it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

whiterebel wrote: »
    We were interested in a GLA for new in January. Sat down, with the sales guy in Cork.
    Ok, so interested in the GLA 1.6 petrol for 34K.
    That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Yes, everything gone up. Roadtax on the 1.6 is €570...
    Goodbye.

I was told by a friend of mine, who works for a massive German company, that Mercedes owned up to the emmissions cheating, just as EU inspectors were walking into HQ. I’ve never seen anything else to back it up, but its an interesting story, and would seem to be borne out by the increases.

Also spoke to Audi at the time, and he told us that the A4 is struggling badly to make emmissions in manual petrol. He told us that anyone who ordered a manual was going to get an automatic, as it was the only one that makes the cut.

Lexus also went up 3K on the CT200, but road tax stays at €180, so I doubt that was due to emissions.

WLTP assessment caused the increases, nothing nefarious but a different more realistic test method.

• Advertisement
Advertisement