Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rifle license for a first timer

Options
  • 13-12-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hello,
    I applied for my rifle license by filling out the application form (rifle is a .22).

Anyways it got rejected because there is a section in it where you state your competence with handling/using a fire-arm. I need to do some sort of rifle course.

Can someone tell me if there is anywhere in the balliansloe region where I can attend one of these courses.

P.s Im not joining a gunclub because I will only be shooting on our own land.

Any info appreciated....

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

westlander wrote: »
    Hello,
    I applied for my rifle license by filling out the application form (rifle is a .22).

Anyways it got rejected because there is a section in it where you state your competence with handling/using a fire-arm. I need to do some sort of rifle course.

Can someone tell me if there is anywhere in the balliansloe region where I can attend one of these courses.

P.s Im not joining a gunclub because I will only be shooting on our own land.

Any info appreciated....

Thank you

Check the bottom of the page!

http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/safety.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

If you know a current license holder go shooting with them and get a reference off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

beanie10 wrote: »
    If you know a current license holder go shooting with them and get a reference off him.

this wont work as far as i know, a course has to be completed if super asks

it has to be a course usually done by the nargc etc some rfds do them aswell, just getting a letter from a friend saying you know how to use a firearm doesnt work any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

It must be a recent change, I got a reference for my application a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

beanie10 wrote: »
    It must be a recent change, I got a reference for my application a year ago.

you still have to get two referees but that wont please some supers you must do a course to prove you know the basics of safety and show proof of a cert

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jap gt wrote: »
    this wont work as far as i know, a course has to be completed if super asks

Key words there. The Super has refused your application and wants a safety course done. Nothing else will suffice so do the course.

Its part of the application process that the Super can put any demands on the applicant once they fall within the remit of his authority.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

In relation to Section 2.5 of the FCA1 Form, Page 11 of the Commissioners Guidelines pretty clearly explains that:
    First time applicants for firearms certificates may demonstrate that they have acquired a degree of competency in the use of firearms by satisfying the issuing person of having attended a firearms training course, or of having joined an authorised rifle or pistol club or range for the purpose of gaining competency in firearms use, or having previously been granted a firearms training certificate.
    So to paraphrase, if you are a First Time Applicant, you will need one of the following to complete the required Section 2.5 of the Form:

1. Satisfy the Issuing Person (i.e. the Super or CS) that you have attended a "firearms training course".

or

2. Join an authorised rifle or pistol club or range (No course is required in this case - although a letter from your club or range would do no harm either, they'll probably have given you safety training and an induction course anyway).

or

3. Have previously held a firearms training certificate.

Since last year, you will have had to comply with one of the above. I would have thought that at this stage, it's pretty clear from the Guidelines what is required and what is sought.

(The Referees / References that lads are mentioning are a different thing entirely)

Hope that's of some help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

Thanks for all the replies

Advertisement