Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Lundstram wrote: »
    Giving Clare everything. The booking on Willie Dunphy was laughable.

I'm not sure he actually touched him?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yes you are correct there. Kilkenny, Clare, Wexford and Dublin all looking for top two positions. Hard to call really. I just feel Wexford and Davy will go all out for the league more than some of the others. Some good games ahead.

Top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Thought it was top two in 1A and 1B who get into league semi finals?

Thought it was top two in 1A and 1B who get into league semi finals?

Top teams in A and B go into the semis finals with 2nd/3rd each group playing off in the QFs

Thats pure nonsense. Thought they were getting rid of that extra quarter final game. No need for that extra weekend. Cheers anyway for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Thats pure nonsense. Thought they were getting rid of that extra quarter final game. No need for that extra weekend. Cheers anyway for clearing that up.

Agreed but it probably makes things more competitive going into final round, otherwise you could have a few dead rubber games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

That was some battle down in Wexford!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

That was some battle down in Wexford!!

Pure honest to go hard hurling.

No team wanted to lose that, they are building up a savage rivalry against eachother like the old days.

Cody won’t like Davy getting the win over him, albeit only league hurling.

conor05 wrote: »

No team wanted to lose that, they are building up a savage rivalry against eachother like the old days.

He certainly wont like it. When Davy was new on the Wexford scene and beat Kilkenny for the first time i remember Cody having a laugh with Davy post match. Haven't seen many laughs in recent matches as Davy is becoming aittle thorn in Codys shoe at this stage. From near 90-100% success rate v Wexford for years to Wexford gaining the upper hand in quite a few matches Cody knows playing Wexford is no picnic anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was impressed with Laois, probably just lacked that bit of know how. Have they anything coming through underage to allow them kick on?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

He certainly wont like it. When Davy was new on the Wexford scene and beat Kilkenny for the first time i remember Cody having a laugh with Davy post match. Haven't seen many laughs in recent matches as Davy is becoming aittle thorn in Codys shoe at this stage. From near 90-100% success rate v Wexford for years to Wexford gaining the upper hand in quite a few matches Cody knows playing Wexford is no picnic anymore.

8 league and championship meetings since Davy took over. 4 wins for Wexford 3 for Kilkenny and 1 draw. A great rivalry again after years of terrible hidings for Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

DF in full Kevin Keegan "I'll luv it if we beat them" mode post-Kilkenny win today. All I'll say to the maverick Sixmilebridge clubman is relax man it's only February!

Have to say im not very enthused about Clare's chances of success this year. All this rejigging of the team is hard to fathom. Mclnerney to midfield when he's a class centre back. D Fitzgerald from wing back to centre forward and now today i see Seadna Morey gone from corner or wing back to wing forward. I see very few no faces either. Just rearranging the deck chairs on an already sinking Clare ship. Lohan has a massive job on his hands as i see Clare as by far the weakest team in Munster and todays performance hasn't in anyway altered that view.

conor05 wrote: »

You get the feeling that Fitzgerald is the only manager out off all the big teams that really wants to win this anyway.

You get the feeling that Fitzgerald is the only manager out off all the big teams that really wants to win this anyway.

I think Kiely wants to win it also. Cody wants to win everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thought Wexford's fitness got us over the line today, and that Kilkenny looked spent in that regard in the last ten minutes. Wexford are surely the most athletic side in the country at this stage, and you can tell how dependent our game is on the runners when Chin and Dee O'Keeffe altered the game when they came on, even if the former looked rusty in possession.

Backs as a collective played very well, particularly Liam Ryan who is a warrior every day he goes out, but a special mention to Joe O'Connor. He seems to have nailed down the corner back spot- fair play to him after being thrown into the deep-end in the AISF last year and used as a scapegoat by some to highlight our lack of strength in depth.

I know its only February, but after spending most of my life as the bridesmaids to Kilkenny, its always great to get a win over them :D

I think Kiely wants to win it also. Cody wants to win everything.

You’d have to have them as favourites for Leinster now anyway. They’d still lack the talent to trouble Limerick or Tipperary (strangely enough you’d back Kilkenny quicker against either) but they’re clearly better than Kilkenny now and probably better than Galway.

You’d have to have them as favourites for Leinster now anyway. They’d still lack the talent to trouble Limerick or Tipperary (strangely enough you’d back Kilkenny quicker against either) but they’re clearly better than Kilkenny now and probably better than Galway.

Would you back them to beat Kilkenny this year? Think its in Nowlan Park? I always fancy the cats at home and this time will be no different. I also wouldn't totally dismiss Dublin's chances of making the top three in Leinster do it's not outlandish to say Wexford may not even get out of Leinster this year. Leinster toss of a coin between Kilkenny, Galway and Wexford. Hard to make any of them a favourite imo.

Have to say im not very enthused about Clare's chances of success this year. All this rejigging of the team is hard to fathom. Mclnerney to midfield when he's a class centre back. D Fitzgerald from wing back to centre forward and now today i see Seadna Morey gone from corner or wing back to wing forward. I see very few no faces either. Just rearranging the deck chairs on an already sinking Clare ship. Lohan has a massive job on his hands as i see Clare as by far the weakest team in Munster and todays performance hasn't in anyway altered that view.
    When has McInerney played at centre back that you deem him class in that position?
    Fitzgerald plays a lot of his hurling in the forwards and imo is more of a forward than a back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

The team announced for next week's Kilkenny game should see a familiar Championship look to the team. Going down to Kilkenny will bring the best out of the Clare lads, I'm certain of that. Diarmuid Ryan hasn't played a minute under Brian in this League campaign so expect him to see some action in Nowlan park. Likewise for Colm Galvin who appeared to me to have an issue with his hand when I was saw him warm up at half-time today.

The big improvement that Brian has brought to the table is our much improved workrate with players tracking back and creating havoc for the opposing player on the ball. Really good to see this. I wouldn't lose sleep 're experimentation. We were criticised for not doing this in previous league campaigns. So in fairness I very much applaud the Clare hurling legend for doing just that.

I'm quite satisfied with what I've seen so far in the Lohan era. Bigger tests lie ahead but it's so far so good with 3 wins from 3.

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    When has McInerney played at centre back that you deem him class in that position?
    Fitzgerald plays a lot of his hurling in the forwards and imo is more of a forward than a back.

Sorry, full back. And a bloody good one. Too much chopping and changing.

The team announced for next week's Kilkenny game should see a familiar Championship look to the team. Going down to Kilkenny will bring the best out of the Clare lads, I'm certain of that. Diarmuid Ryan hasn't played a minute under Brian in this League campaign so expect him to see some action in Nowlan park. Likewise for Colm Galvin who appeared to me to have an issue with his hand when I was saw him warm up at half-time today.

The big improvement that Brian has brought to the table is our much improved workrate with players tracking back and creating havoc for the opposing player on the ball. Really good to see this. I wouldn't lose sleep 're experimentation. We were criticised for not doing this in previous league campaigns. So in fairness I very much applaud the Clare hurling legend for doing just that.

I'm quite satisfied with what I've seen so far in the Lohan era. Bigger tests lie ahead but it's so far so good with 3 wins from 3.

Fair enough. Some player Lohan. Best full back i've ever seen. Just dont fancy Clare at all this year.

Sorry, full back. And a bloody good one. Too much chopping and changing.

Mc has been poor for a few years now at fullback hence the move.

The whole schedule is ****ed now with the postponements of Limerick vs Waterford and Galway vs Tipp

They will prob move the QFs date to the 14/15 moving the semis to the week after and double header final on the 29th March

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

You sound like a wum Chalk. Clare have 6 points from 6. Beat Wexford in Wexford. Clare have plenty of talent and beat both Cork And Waterford in Championship last year.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You sound like a wum Chalk. Clare have 6 points from 6. Beat Wexford in Wexford. Clare have plenty of talent and beat both Cork And Waterford in Championship last year.

I'm no WUM. Just because i have an opinion that you dont happen to agree with. I dont really rate this Clare team. Think their the weakest of the Munster teams and wont get out of Munster this yesr. Do i have a crystal ball? No. Do you? No. I wonder do you call every poster that has a differet opinion of yours a WUM?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The whole schedule is ****ed now with the postponements of Limerick vs Waterford and Galway vs Tipp

They will prob move the QFs date to the 14/15 moving the semis to the week after and double header final on the 29th March

Solution ; have no bloody quarter finals and free up a weekend. So be it if there are some dead rubbers on last round of the league.

BloodyBill wrote: »

So Clare have beaten Wexford with quite a few of their big players missing and Carlow and Laois in Ennis? And today v Laois they were not impressive. I dont see anything different in their panel depth. And losing one of their best players from last year in Peter Duggan is another big blow.
    Tipp, Cork and Limerick far stronger. And Waterford are too imo. But time will tell.

Crunch weekend next weekend in 1B

Dublin vs Wexford (croke park Saturday)
    Kilkenny vs Clare
    Laois vs Carlow (winner survives in 1B, loser into relegation playoff)

Clare on 6pts
    Wexford, Kilkenny, Dublin all on 4pts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin v Wexford will be interesting given that they seem to be on similar enough level although Wexicans had better championship.

Dublin topped the division last year and beat Tipp in quarter final so value of it is questionable!

Advertisement