Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads whats Johnny Murphy's reputation within Limerick as a ref? Me and many others in Croke Park felt like asking him for a refund at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Lads whats Johnny Murphy's reputation within Limerick as a ref? Me and many others in Croke Park felt like asking him for a refund at the weekend.

The general feeling that Johnny was a grand referee until the observers/directors/box tickers/spoofers in Croke Park got talking to him.
    Now it's obey and do it strictly by the book or else face the prospect of doing Junior B games in Limerick.
    We need to be very careful when discussing referees, inter-county hurling referees especially. The 'Grade 1' pool of refs is very small now with no signs of a queue to take up the job. It's a thankless job.
    Worse still, we always have the odd clown comparing them to rugby refs and officials when in reality a rugby ref can be metres from the ball for 95% of a game.
    What we have is a ref usually in late 30's or 40s trying to run beside some one in full flight like Daragh Fitzgbbon 21 trying to count his steps and watching for a thrown handpass at the same time.
    Refs need more help from linesmen,umpires and the seldom mentioned 4th official.
    What they do not need is the likes of Donal Og and Mcgrath dictating from a warm studio on the Sunday Game etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hurlers flew out to Portugal on Sunday for warm weather training, due back Saturday.

Devastating news for Shane Dowling as he needs more surgery and will be out for the whole of 2020. Huge loss to the senior team but hope he can recover and come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Devastating news for Shane Dowling as he needs more surgery and will be out for the whole of 2020. Huge loss to the senior team but hope he can recover and come back stronger.

Jaysus been a terrible couple of weeks for Limerick, I guess one smal comfort is that they have plenty of notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

For a man who won't be a starter Dowling is an enormous loss. I know he'd resent this tag but he's the best sub in the country and we are undoubtedly weakened by not having him available.

But Richie English is an even bigger loss. The full back line is the one line we lack depth, particularly since Hickey and McCarthy retired. Tom Condon turns 33 this year, solid player, but more effective at finishing games than starting them at this stage; and not at the level of Richie English. (Very few are, to be fair)

And Aaron Costello, who many pundits/people mistakenly refer to as "young" turns 27 this year, is probably the 7th/8th oldest player on our panel! Not having a go at his age, I just find it amusing many seem to assume he's 21/22 just because he wasn't starting games before this year. He's done alright in fairness to him when called upon this year, but lets face it, he hasn't looked good enough to dislodge any of Finn, Casey or English (a very high bar in fairness to him) and if he's starting come championship time he's almost certainly going to be targeted as an unproven potential weak link so hopefully he'll be ready if called upon. On the plus side he'll have been marking the likes of Mulcahy, Peter Casey, Gillane and Flanagan in training so he will have had plenty of exposure to top class forwards ahead of a potential championship debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

That's terrible for Dowling, championship is poorer without him

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Costello is doing fine. Long year ahead. Richie English is a fantastic competitor but his delivery was never super. Costello has s great chance now of keeping the jersey for the year.
    Dowling is a loss,big loss. He generally did a great job coming on but he was brought on too late last year. It's up to management now to let others shine. Limerick were never going to win 2020 unless there were changes. Its unfortunate that they are enforced but they are changes none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's terrible news. Dowling always had a big impact in games when he came on. The semi in 2018 against Cork for example. A hard player to dislodge the ball from.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

billyhead wrote: »
    That's terrible news. Dowling always had a big impact in games when he came on. The semi in 2018 against Cork for example. A hard player to dislodge the ball from.

I think I just vomited reading about Dowling where did this come from is this definite? I knew he'd an operation and was struggling but out for the year?? On top of English this is bad lads.... very bad

• Advertisement

lim4ev wrote: »
    I think I just vomited reading about Dowling where did this come from is this definite? I knew he'd an operation and was struggling but out for the year?? On top of English this is bad lads.... very bad

Common knowledge within the Na piarsaigh/caherdavin area unfortunately. I personally was told by a close relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Dowling and Engilsh are big losses but never in Limerick's history have we been better placed to deal with big blows like this. Costello for English and Flanagan for Dowling aren't bad replacements and could work out very well. Flanagan was very good in first half against Cork and seems to be getting his confidence back (wasn't at yesterday's game so don't know how he did there)

Does anyone have an update on the likes of Pat Ryan, Peter Casey, Adrian Breen i.e when they will return to the fold. Also is Conor Boylan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone have an update on the likes of Pat Ryan, Peter Casey, Adrian Breen i.e when they will return to the fold. Also is Conor Boylan injured?

Kiely said yesterday that Peter Casey should resume full contact training this Thursday.

slegs wrote: »
    Dowling and Engilsh are big losses but never in Limerick's history have we been better placed to deal with big blows like this. Costello for English and Flanagan for Dowling aren't bad replacements and could work out very well. Flanagan was very good in first half against Cork and seems to be getting his confidence back (wasn't at yesterday's game so don't know how he did there)

You have to also consider the knock on effect though, in that scenario you then need to replace Flanagan and Costello, it's no longer a 15 man game.

slegs wrote: »

I would be careful in terms of expectations on Costello for the very fact that the standard set by Finn, Casey and English over 2018 and 2019 was as follows; 6 All-Star nominations, 3 All-Stars won, 1 Munster hurler of the year. The standard set by those three is outstanding, huge shoes to fill for Costello, he's not a like for like replacement. But for a rookie he's relatively experienced, has county and Munster medals at club level and has experience of an All-Ireland club final.

Its unusual for a player to be 26/27 years old before making his championship debut at the moment, but on the flip side he's about as experienced a rookie as you could hope for, and he has been very solid at club level.

You mentioned Flanagan; one of the few positives from yesterday, he's going very well this year. The whole thing was very sluggish, a lot of them made sloppy errors, hand passes and short passes gone astray, they got themselves into trouble a few times with unforced errors. I'd give them a free pass on account of the fact they looked tired which after a week training in Portugal is understandable, they started very well (11 points to 1 up after 15 minutes or something like that) and just seemed to completely run out of steam.

The question of depth; I feel we have a good core of 20 players we can have full confidence in to start a game, and another dozen maybe on top of this who can be called upon to finish a game.

It seems to be this dozen that the management have really focused on by giving them plenty of game time to help bring them on a bit more. The likes of Barry Hennessy, David Dempsey, David Reidy, Aaron Costello, Robbie Hanley and Barry Nash have received more game time this year than they ever had up to now previously. And I was very happy to see starts handed to three young lads yesterday in Considine, Ryan and O'Connell.

It seems there is an emphasis on competition and giving those who weren't starting every opportunity to stake a claim in 2020, I feel complacency may have been an issue at times last year because we tended to go on runs of 2/3 games being phenomenally good last year only to inexplicably fall flat. I don't know if they just fell into a comfort zone last year but it would seem the selection policy this year suggests very few players are safe on the team now.

The full back line will be Finn, Casey and Costello. He has done enough to keep that jersey ahead of Tom Condon I feel who like last year was extremely unlucky at the timing of his injury. And I feel Lynch and O'Donoghue are almost certain to be our midfield pairing. Outside of that though, we pretty much have 5 solid options across the half back, half forward and full forward lines. Very difficult to predict a starting 15 come May.

Barry Nash at corner back and Kyle Hayes starting at midfield; I wasn't expecting that.

I reckon the thinking here is it was a nice problem to have last year in terms of which three of Byrnes, Hannon, Morrissey and O'Loughlin in the half back positions. Adding Nash to those four turns that nice problem into a headache as 4 into 3 is easier to deal with than 5 into 3.

Solution; take one of those 5 and see if they can give us a bit of much needed depth in the full back line. I would have thought Dan Morrissey would have gotten the nod in that respect as he has been deployed at full back previously in the league and pre season competition in the previous three years.

Nash at corner back is an interesting call though, I look forward to seeing how that works out, and Hayes dropped back to midfield once O'Donovan was sent off so a case of picking up where he left off I guess. I think they might be minding Finn as much as they are assessing Nash at corner back, I believe he (Finn) is nursing a slight hamstring issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Barry Nash at corner back and Kyle Hayes starting at midfield; I wasn't expecting that.

I reckon the thinking here is it was a nice problem to have last year in terms of which three of Byrnes, Hannon, Morrissey and O'Loughlin in the half back positions. Adding Nash to those four turns that nice problem into a headache as 4 into 3 is easier to deal with than 5 into 3.

Solution; take one of those 5 and see if they can give us a bit of much needed depth in the full back line. I would have thought Dan Morrissey would have gotten the nod in that respect as he has been deployed at full back previously in the league and pre season competition in the previous three years.

Nash at corner back is an interesting call though, I look forward to seeing how that works out, and Hayes dropped back to midfield once O'Donovan was sent off so a case of picking up where he left off I guess. I think they might be minding Finn as much as they are assessing Nash at corner back, I believe he (Finn) is nursing a slight hamstring issue.

Yea I agree with that, still I'm delighted to see them trying nash at corner back good to see them thinking outside the box we badly need cover there even if Costello fulfills the talent a colleague of his tells me he has in abundance,nash definitely has the hurling to play anywhere and might be able to do a job there if required. Still think k hayes is needed at 11 plus Flanagans form is a huge boost and lessens somewhat the losses of English and Dowling

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

lim4ev wrote: »
    Yea I agree with that, still I'm delighted to see them trying nash at corner back good to see them thinking outside the box we badly need cover there even if Costello fulfills the talent a colleague of his tells me he has in abundance,nash definitely has the hurling to play anywhere and might be able to do a job there if required. Still think k hayes is needed at 11 plus Flanagans form is a huge boost and lessens somewhat the losses of English and Dowling
    Still think dowling and english are such losses and where we were weaker, dowling is such a loss coming off the bench, giving the crowd and team a lift, he always makes an impact too, cork and galway 2018 and kilkenny 2019. Maybe nash could have a role as a distributor in the fb line although hed be targetted by opposition defensively in every game. Costello looks comfortable at the moment but we need cover there still.

Reasonable win tonight, good to see a few lads getting more time

Flaws are obvious been covered in last 2 pages

Hannon and reidy came into it after poor starts

Not too many errors when in possession from our half back line was good

Mul outstanding as ever - sets a standard everytime most consistent and best player in the country the last 3 years

• Advertisement

Things have gone awful quiet in here!

I miss the hurling something awful. I loved taking in the two rounds of club games in April.

Checking the news after each round hoping that all of the county panel came through unscathed, and once the rounds were run off, the countdown begins to our first outing in Munster.

The last two years were great because you'd often be waiting until June for our first championship game. We really were spoiled in 2018 and 2019.

Now once those club games were run off you weren't waiting that long for championship, and with the new format the games came at you thick and fast.

And remember this time last year, we were riding the crest of a wave, All-Ireland champions and a largely untroubled run to league success in Croke Park at the end of March.

We were even better in 2019 than 2018. Best team in the country last year, we were more consistent in 2018. 2019, at our best, unstoppable. We just didn't always bring our very best to the table. Tipperary were solid and the most consistent team much like ourselves in 2018, as much as it pains me to say it they fully deserved the title last year.

That feeling of nervous anticipation would be kicking in around now just under two weeks out from the game down in Páirc Ui Chaoimh, I miss it so much it almost hurts a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

I watched and re-watched the semi final and final of 2018, I firmly believe the 2020 team are 8 to 10pts better than the 2018. Looking back its easy to see on 2018 we were a work in progress. Keily and Kennerk were trying to get 30 lads to play a certain way but all these things take time and I believe this year, Keily and Kinnerk had Limerick playing like a finely tuned formula 1 car.
    We had everything going for us this spring. Playing very well as a unit, and as a interchangeable unit. Flanagan was back and playing well. English obviously was a loss and Dowling.
    We had beaten Cork in Cork. All our ducks in a row.
    Season ticket in the wallet.
    Expecting a long summer with plenty of milage.
    Then.........then some Chinese fella ate a bat!

Dcmb1984 wrote: »
    I watched and re-watched the semi final and final of 2018, I firmly believe the 2020 team are 8 to 10pts better than the 2018. Looking back its easy to see on 2018 we were a work in progress. Keily and Kennerk were trying to get 30 lads to play a certain way but all these things take time and I believe this year, Keily and Kinnerk had Limerick playing like a finely tuned formula 1 car.
    We had everything going for us this spring. Playing very well as a unit, and as a interchangeable unit. Flanagan was back and playing well. English obviously was a loss and Dowling.

Good post. Agree. I thought this was our year. It looked promising and the week away training in the sun too. Tipp did likewise last year and look what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Great to see all of the dances that the senior and U20 hurlers are doing to raise money for Milford Hospice. Videos available on Limerick GAA's Twitter and Facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Sure twas either a chineese man eating a bat or a limerick man eating humble pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

nobody knows the truth, could have came from a lab aswel, Chinese politics and transparency are 2 very different entities...

we're not done yet

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

If its straight knock out it will suit the likes of Waterford and Clare. They have the smaller squads but they can both put out good starting 15s. Limerick have nothing to fear but they were used to the groups and had always done well in them.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If its straight knock out it will suit the likes of Waterford and Clare. They have the smaller squads but they can both put out good starting 15s. Limerick have nothing to fear but they were used to the groups and had always done well in them.

There may be less games but the schedule will be more condensed, I would argue that it leaves teams more exposed t injuries and squad depth will be even more important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Pogue eile wrote: »
    There may be less games but the schedule will be more condensed, I would argue that it leaves teams more exposed t injuries and squad depth will be even more important.

Depends, how condensed will it be? If the mooting of mid December for finals was correct then it's loads of time to play 5/6 games, compared to one month for 4 games as it currently is in Munster under round robin.

Though there might actually be an advantage in winning Munster for once.

Advertisement