Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get cattle slaughtered?

Options
  • 09-10-2019 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

i dont want this thread to descend into a thread for and against the recent factory protests.

i was talking to some one earlier who has over 300 cattle to kill and cant get one of them kilt with any factory and i have spoken to a few other people and its the same thing with everyone. since the strikes have stopped and the factories are back killing no one seems to be able to get anything killed. we were chatting and it came up in conversation - well then who the hell is killing cattle?
    another thing to note is that for the people i am talking about, its not as if they are holding out for a better price they just want cattle killed before they have to go back into the shed and none of the people were out protesting so its not as if the factory are ignoring them because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

13 going tomorrow.

Booked in the first of Oct, in age in spec as much as you can he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i know a man who crossed the picket lines to get into a factory at the time and now has 26 heifers that will go over age very shortly. the factory will only take 5 cattle of him now and the factory told him in no uncertain terms that they dont care if he comes or not

some of the people that i would be talking to would have out of spec cattle so that could be part of the problem
    Danzy wrote: »
    13 going tomorrow.

Booked in the first of Oct, in age in spec as much as you can he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I know a man, in fact I know plenty of men and a few women too. Some of them even know me.

I don't know a lot about them, but I know they will always tell me the side of the story that suits them. As such I will usually treat what they say with indifference, unless it's going to affect me directly, which is unlikely.

There is a huge back up of cattle due to the factories essentially closed for weeks, even at max capacity which I doubt many of them are, it will take weeks and months for this to clear, with the recent weather increasing the problem.

In the meantime the agents will pick and choose who they take cattle from, which I assume rules out many of the more vocal protesters or even lads they simply don't like.

Most of this is to be expected.

how did you come up with a post as clever as this so quick? you are truly amazing!
    riemann wrote: »
    I know a man, in fact I know plenty of men and a few women too. Some of them even know me.I don't know a lot about them, but I know they will always tell me the side of the story that suits them. As such I will usually treat what they say with indifference, unless it's going to affect me directly, which is unlikely.

There is a huge back up of cattle due to the factories essentially closed for weeks, even at max capacity which I doubt many of them are, it will take weeks and months for this to clear, with the recent weather increasing the problem.

In the meantime the agents will pick and choose who they take cattle from, which I assume rules out many of the more vocal protesters or even lads they simply don't like.

Most of this is to be expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i know a man who crossed the picket lines to get into a factory at the time and now has 26 heifers that will go over age very shortly. the factory will only take 5 cattle of him now and the factory told him in no uncertain terms that they dont care if he comes or not
    That's a tall tale if I ever heard one, bar stool by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

riemann wrote: »
    I know a man, in fact I know plenty of men and a few women too. Some of them even know me.

I don't know a lot about them, but I know they will always tell me the side of the story that suits them. As such I will usually treat what they say with indifference, unless it's going to affect me directly, which is unlikely.

Most of this is to be expected.

They won't care if you were a protester or were shouting at the protesters to go home cause you have 500 in the lot waiting to be killed and drink with the procurement managers every Saturday.

There is a side benefit in hammering their friend with the feed lot, take him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Well the factories seem to be curtailing the kill, the agents are trying to bring a few from everyone in fairness to them. I understand there is a back log due to the pickets, but killing half days isn't helping. You would wonder is it a ploy to keep the price of stores down so they can re stock their feedlots or a they picking up cheaper finished cattle in the marts and killing them instead. The strike and the weather have really combined to make it a right pain for anyone that has beef cattle fit to go at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Well the factories seem to be curtailing the kill, the agents are trying to bring a few from everyone in fairness to them. I understand there is a back log due to the pickets, but killing half days isn't helping. You would wonder is it a ploy to keep the price of stores down so they can re stock their feedlots or a they picking up cheaper finished cattle in the marts and killing them instead. The strike and the weather have really combined to make it a right pain for anyone that has beef cattle fit to go at the minute.

The factories are also picking up plenty of finished cattle in the marts for €100 - €200 less than they would have to pay for them if they came directly to factory from the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jesus, this year will finish a lot of farmers.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Jesus, this year will finish a lot of farmers.:mad:
    Ah it wouldn't finish them as they are a strange bunch and seem to keep coming back for more punishment. But after last year I would say a lot of beef farmers will be sitting back & cutting numbers and just doing enough to draw down any subs and hoping cattle sold will cover day to day costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

duffysfarm wrote: »

I'm delighted for him . Hopefully he will take it as an education that eaten bread is soon forgotten with Larry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I work with allot of lads that have weanlings to move. Many would be average stock rather than top end.

They are holding out while grass lasts but expecting an absolute beating in the ring in maybe 3-4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hallinansen

What's supposed to happen in 3-4 weeks, Brian?

_Brian wrote: »
    I work with allot of lads that have weanlings to move. Many would be average stock rather than top end.

They are holding out while grass lasts but expecting an absolute beating in the ring in maybe 3-4 weeks time.
    If they can time it right for when the shippers are filling up for the boats they could be alright. There was a hurry on them up until last weekend to get a boat load ready so prices were good on Saturday. Back a little this week put I would expect them to be strong again around the end of the month, that is if Trump doesn't start tweeting about Turkey too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Back log after the protests
    Back log with the bad weather and farmers wanting to get animals off their fields
    Back log with farmers wanting to sell before housing
    Back log with time running out for animals
    Back log with lads finishing rather than dealing with marts
    Back log with farmers selling cull cows or cows not in calf
    Back log with farmers wanting to get out after multiple bad years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭mf240

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Back log after the protests
    Back log with the bad weather and farmers wanting to get animals off their fields
    Back log with farmers wanting to sell before housing
    Back log with time running out for animals
    Back log with lads finishing rather than dealing with marts
    Back log with farmers selling cull cows or cows not in calf
    Back log with farmers wanting to get out after multiple bad years

And brexit on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

_Brian wrote: »

They will be 3-4weeks of absolute hell. You can imagine cows and calves out on ground this time of year and it pissing rain.

They'd be aswell off to house the cows and start shifting calves now. Nothing magical.will happen in a months time. Down prices will go if anything once the glut comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

mf240 wrote: »
    And brexit on the way.

Aye, when are they leaving??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

If they can time it right for when the shippers are filling up for the boats they could be alright. There was a hurry on them up until last weekend to get a boat load ready so prices were good on Saturday. Back a little this week put I would expect them to be strong again around the end of the month, that is if Trump doesn't start tweeting about Turkey too much.

Where was that boat going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Got 6 booked into Kepak athleague Monday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The lads selling straight off grass will be carrying everything to the mart once grass gets scarce or weather turns bad and the same thing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭older by the day

Was anyone listening to the farming segment on moncreif on newstalk yesterday. Stake making 12 Euro a kg, approx. While certain dog and cat food in the pouches adds up to 24euro a kg. That's a profitable business

tanko wrote: »
    Where was that boat going?
    Its a second 1 heading for Turkey, they have to be in quarantine for a few weeks before they are eligible to go, so they were trying to get them all in before the end of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s when most in this area would sell weanlings, grass stem off and ground unfit for cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Its a second 1 heading for Turkey, they have to be in quarantine for a few weeks before they are eligible to go, so they were trying to get them all in before the end of last week.

Must have been to feed the army heading into Syria. :pac:
    Almost as if the date and time was planned.

Seems to be the thing to feed the troops irish beef when heading into battle.
    First Saddam and now Erdogan.

At least this time Erdogan is getting the whole animal fresh and not just rotten bellies like Saddam got from Larry.
    Hopefully payment has been upfront and banked before a beast boards a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I could never understand why the factory doesn’t employ a day and night shift And allow farmers to turn up with stock when they want them processed and drop the whole booking them in and going through an agent boll1x.
    It’s hardly rocket science.proof of ownership ie blue cards and away you go subject to usual vet inspection and grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I could never understand why the factory doesn’t employ a day and night shift And allow farmers to turn up with stock when they want them processed and drop the whole booking them in and going through an agent boll1x.
    It’s hardly rocket science.proof of ownership ie blue cards and away you go subject to usual vet inspection and grading.
    They wouldn't enough fridge space for day and night kills plus boning and packaging halls not be able to cope. I said this all during the strike there are limited space for the dead animal. Its all about 'just in time' production as first used by Toyota in Japan.
    The day of the agent is over to and if POs take it will be the final nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    They wouldn't enough fridge space for day and night kills plus boning and packaging halls not be able to cope. I said this all during the strike there are limited space for the dead animal. Its all about 'just in time' production as first used by Toyota in Japan.
    The day of the agent is over to and if POs take it will be the final nail.

Plus they'll be in no hurry to kill the cattle anyway, they're not going anywhere
    They'll use their agents again, it's only because of the chaos at the moment that they're dealing direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

mf240 wrote: »
    And brexit on the way.

What's that?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement