Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get cattle slaughtered?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Iv fit cull cows for the factory and normally send them to dawn meats in north cork. They don't want cows now according to the factory agent. Did anyone get cows into cahir or watergrasshill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Anyone trying to get u24 bulls into the factory at the moment? Trying to get 5 away at the moment but factory have no appetite for them or any cattle tbh

Killed bulls Monday. Booked them two weeks ago. No real problem though I suppose we’d be considered a regular supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭QA1

degetme wrote: »
    Iv fit cull cows for the factory and normally send them to dawn meats in north cork. They don't want cows now according to the factory agent. Did anyone get cows into cahir or watergrasshill?

cows and bulls not wanted or over 30 months
    all want u 30 months China approved or **** off till they get scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »
    John Heney has given a more realistic account of the damage of the protests on todays Indo, He always says it as it is and is well respected, hopefully the cause of the problem will take note or do they even care.

I read the article and I have to disagree fundamentelly with Heney . I have upmost respect for him but like many finishers he fails to see the broader picture. TBH however in his system he was caught more than most. He runs a late store to late finish system which was most exposed to the strike.

In a way his analysis shows the flaw in his argument. We are 23c/kg behind the UK price would we be no nearer if there was no strike and I suspect that we be another 20-30c further back. The reason the strike was so prolonged was that larger finishers and hauliers tried to break the strike. If the strike had been supported by all then it would have been over after the first protest but processors saw the disunity and tried to drop the price after the first strike.

It immaterial really if he wants to stay in the beef game he have to go into calf to beef the way things are going and the way lads producing stores are exiting the game. If anyone thinks we can even have a beef production system at a base of sub 3.5/kg they are deluded

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I read the article and I have to disagree fundamentelly with Heney . I have upmost respect for him but like many finishers he fails to see the broader picture. TBH however in his system he was caught more than most. He runs a late store to late finish system which was most exposed to the strike.

In a way his analysis shows the flaw in his argument. We are 23c/kg behind the UK price would we be no nearer if there was no strike and I suspect that we be another 20-30c further back. The reason the strike was so prolonged was that larger finishers and hauliers tried to break the strike. If the strike had been supported by all then it would have been over after the first protest but processors saw the disunity and tried to drop the price after the first strike.

It immaterial really if he wants to stay in the beef game he have to go into calf to beef the way things are going and the way lads producing stores are exiting the game. If anyone thinks we can even have a beef production system at a base of sub 3.5/kg they are deluded

The farmers interviewed on IFJ haven't a lot of love for the protests either or respect for the protesters even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The reason the strikes were so prolonged is because some delusional individuals wanted the factories to pay €4/kg and latterly €3.80/kg. From memory you yourself didn't agree with the lifting of the blockades until the magic price was agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    The reason the strikes were so prolonged is because some delusional individuals wanted the factories to pay €4/kg and latterly €3.80/kg. From memory you yourself didn't agree with the lifting of the blockades until the magic price was agreed.

Oh for fcuk sake. Sure we all should have aimed and fought for 3.55 we might be sitting on 3.20 now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Anyone getting overage cattle killed? If so how long were you waiting? I have 6 32 month AA bullocks to go.

Some farmers around me have chx going overage and it is costing them a small fortune to feed meal.

Anyone getting overage cattle killed? If so how long were you waiting? I have 6 32 month AA bullocks to go.

Some farmers around me have chx going overage and it is costing them a small fortune to feed meal.

No bother here but if I were you I’d ring a few of your closest factories or agents and just book them in to them all as soon as can be. Whichever comes up first just send them there.

Check this out on Agriland - Beef kill hits just shy of 39,000 head https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/beef-kill-hits-just-shy-of-39000-head/

Kepak athleague is at least 3 weeks and does not want to know about overage cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

Check this out on Agriland - Beef kill hits just shy of 39,000 head https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/beef-kill-hits-just-shy-of-39000-head/

Kepak athleague is at least 3 weeks and does not want to know about overage cattle.

The wheel will turn and don't you forget that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I think this week it was a bit easier to get in spec cattle sold seem to motoring a bit better with QA cows too.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I think this week it was a bit easier to get in spec cattle sold seem to motoring a bit better with QA cows too.

They obviously have markets for them...but will continue to act the taepots with prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Got some bulls away last week. After this week most of the grass cattle will be gone, and recently housed cattle will probably have been dosed, so there should be a bit of a niche there for out of spec cattle.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Robson99 wrote: »
    They obviously have markets for them...but will continue to act the taepots with prices

I'd reckon it more of obviously there drying up a bit.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Got some bulls away last week. After this week most of the grass cattle will be gone, and recently housed cattle will probably have been dosed, so there should be a bit of a niche there for out of spec cattle.

Got a few bulls away too but was adamant they had to be fat score 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Might be a good batch being put together for the China market. In-spec cattle should be easy enough to shift within the next few weeks I'd reckon.

Got a few bulls away too but was adamant they had to be fat score 3

First I’ve heard of that. Only had a couple of bulls under 3 fat score in the last two years and these were extremely muscular.
    Weights seem to be the issue. Have spoken to a couple of factories regarding bulls and have been told they Will have no problem taking them as long as they aren’t too heavy.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    First I’ve heard of that. Only had a couple of bulls under 3 fat score in the last two years and these were extremely muscular.
    Weights seem to be the issue. Have spoken to a couple of factories regarding bulls and have been told they Will have no problem taking them as long as they aren’t too heavy.

Óne thíng I've never had trouble with is is weights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

8 weeks. going this week

• Advertisement

4 weeks backlog liffey meats ballinasloe.

4 weeks backlog liffey meats ballinasloe.

Do you kill there often ??
    What's backlog in Athleague?

No two or three times before. . I was told two weeks ago to phone Kepak in three weeks. I am going to try ballyhaunis tomorrow. I was told however that they are killing under 30 mths for China.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The boss man has four to kill. He has been getting a few killed in dribs and drabs.
    When he rang yesterday to get 4 killed the agent told him he could kill 10 if he wants!
    This is A big change from the threats of a few weeks back of not to even send 1 extra over and above what was agreed!
    There's something afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The boss man has four to kill. He has been getting a few killed in dribs and drabs.
    When he rang yesterday to get 4 killed the agent told him he could kill 10 if he wants!
    This is A big change from the threats of a few weeks back of not to even send 1 extra over and above what was agreed!
    There's something afoot.
    Over or under 30mths

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Over or under 30mths

90% under. The odd one went overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

90% under. The odd one went overage.

Tide must be turning.

No two or three times before. . I was told two weeks ago to phone Kepak in three weeks. I am going to try ballyhaunis tomorrow. I was told however that they are killing under 30 mths for China.

Yes they are killing under 30 months for China.
    Supplies of u 30 m will tighten... watch them have 2 base figures.. those u 30 m will get a 10 cent bonus those over probably cut 5 or 10 cent so as they still have cheap beef...
    Factories are even making fools out of those best friends they had who crossed the line during the strike....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Robson99 wrote: »
    Yes they are killing under 30 months for China.
    Supplies of u 30 m will tighten... watch them have 2 base figures.. those u 30 m will get a 10 cent bonus those over probably cut 5 or 10 cent so as they still have cheap beef...
    Factories are even making fools out of those best friends they had who crossed the line during the strike....

My heart break's for them. its not the first time they f@@ked them over and it will not be the last.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

My heart break's for them. its not the first time they f@@ked them over and it will not be the last.

Exactly

Advertisement