Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get cattle slaughtered?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Once the age limit remained in place it was obvious they would take the piss afterwards.

Slowing the kill just saves them money now and they will have back all they lost during the blockade and likely more.

Haven’t they access to the icbf numbers and so have a very accurate picture regarding cattle about to fall over the age limit.

Farmers are foolish to keep pushing beef into a system loaded against them. Everyone is best served then agents are out working hard to secure numbers rather than when the factory phone is ringing red hot with lads pleading to get a few in.

I know it’s an unpopular position but it’s being overproduced, when any commodity is plentiful it looses its value, even though the cost of producing it remains constant or indeed increases.

Lads there’s no point being busy fools !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    They wouldn't enough fridge space for day and night kills plus boning and packaging halls not be able to cope. I said this all during the strike there are limited space for the dead animal. Its all about 'just in time' production as first used by Toyota in Japan.
    The day of the agent is over to and if POs take it will be the final nail.

Why is the day of the agent over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Why is the day of the agent over?

There is a plant near me that has got rid of them. You got through the procurement managers now. They recon its the new template. Some previous agents are just hauliers for them or moved to other factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

If beef is as tight margins game as factory makes out by cutting agents they massively increase profit.

I have had problem with agents for a while now, They get nearly 2cent a kg and i dont see what value they offer to regular seller. Ok for the once a year seller they may offer advice on fat score etc but What i see going on around here they are just propaganda agents and dont even look at cattle because most of these farmers just want them gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

_Brian wrote: »
    Once the age limit remained in place it was obvious they would take the piss afterwards.

Slowing the kill just saves them money now and they will have back all they lost during the blockade and likely more.

Haven’t they access to the icbf numbers and so have a very accurate picture regarding cattle about to fall over the age limit.

Farmers are foolish to keep pushing beef into a system loaded against them. Everyone is best served then agents are out working hard to secure numbers rather than when the factory phone is ringing red hot with lads pleading to get a few in.

I know it’s an unpopular position but it’s being overproduced, when any commodity is plentiful it looses its value, even though the cost of producing it remains constant or indeed increases.

Lads there’s no point being busy fools !

It's a great shame that those on the blockade hadn't the sense to realise the truth of your last paragraph.
    this thread wouldn't exist were it not for a blockade.
    to the op yes i,m unable to get cattle killed at the moment.

• Advertisement

Nobbies wrote: »
    It's a great shame that those on the blockade hadn't the sense to realise the truth of your last paragraph.

I hate that it is like this but that’s the simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@ Brian - link to DAFM website, click on last one on the page and it gives the current livestock numbers by age for both beef and dairy bred animals. It doesn't take a scholar to extrapolate this data.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/bovinebirthandmovementsmonthlyreports/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nobbies wrote: »

Without the protests the problem would be a base of 3 Euro or less and factories content in knowing people would accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I sent 8 on Monday morning. Booked in last week. Uncle sent in 16 more today, booked in last friday. North Cork factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i was talking to some one earlier who has over 300 cattle to kill and cant get one of them kilt

bb876e0253f38f8dc777552e806fcf9d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Factories have a preference for AA and HE cattle atm. They can't get enough of them and you will have a short run in time to get them killed.
    U 30 month cattle are not plentiful either. There is a huge backup of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Getting 4 or 5 killed per week nothing next week two weeks time again. Like pulling teeth

Have a lot going this week coming, slow as f778.

Any speeding up in sight, just under 30 month cattle must be scaeve now seems it is heifers being killed 18 to 20 months being worked through now.

Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

Sorry what do you mean? Is it that they are taking a lot of cattle off you? I sent a load this week and he said he will be able to take another next week so maybe things are starting to turn hopefully, maybe cattle might not be as plentiful as we thought

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aphextwit

No.

morphy87 wrote: »
    Sorry what do you mean? Is it that they are taking a lot of cattle off you? I sent a load this week and he said he will be able to take another next week so maybe things are starting to turn hopefully, maybe cattle might not be as plentiful as we thought

Sorry, meant a load, 15 Bullocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Got last 2 killed last week.
    Local factory gone fully off cows,bulls overage and heavy cattle. Next few weeks will be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Anyone trying to get u24 bulls into the factory at the moment? Trying to get 5 away at the moment but factory have no appetite for them or any cattle tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Anyone trying to get u24 bulls into the factory at the moment? Trying to get 5 away at the moment but factory have no appetite for them or any cattle tbh

Depends on weights and fat scores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Will numbers reduce start of next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I rang factory thus morning to book 10 cull cows I'm fattening in for about a months time, and he gave me day the end of November straight away. Munster factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I rang factory thus morning to book 10 cull cows I'm fattening in for about a months time, and he gave me day the end of November straight away. Munster factory.

John Heney has given a more realistic account of the damage of the protests on todays Indo, He always says it as it is and is well respected, hopefully the cause of the problem will take note or do they even care.

My opinion would be the processors are creating much of the current scenario where it is so hard to get cattle killed so they can blame it back onto the pickets. Their hope is to never see a farmer ever complain about anything again and finally have them is a 100% submissive position permanently.

It’s win, win, win for them all the way now. They hold cattle back and then punish for being over age or over weight. And they blame the pickets for the whole thing.

_Brian wrote: »
    My opinion would be the processors are creating much of the current scenario where it is so hard to get cattle killed so they can blame it back onto the pickets. Their hope is to never see a farmer ever complain about anything again and finally have them is a 100% submissive position permanently.

It’s win, win, win for them all the way now. They hold cattle back and then punish for being over age or over weight. And they blame the pickets for the whole thing.

TBF they're killing 38000/wk which is as much as they've ever done.
    If they wanted to piss off farmers they'd drop it to 25000.
    There's only one crowd solely responsible for this cluster****. (I love that word, so descriptive)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

wrangler wrote: »
    There's only one crowd solely responsible for this cluster****. (I love that word, so descriptive)

Who would you blame if beef prices were sub €3.30/kilo?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

John Heney has given a more realistic account of the damage of the protests on todays Indo, He always says it as it is and is well respected, hopefully the cause of the problem will take note or do they even care.

and if you read the last paragraph you will see how much a head he is back on last year over a 100 a head whose fault is that and that is the reason the protests started

MfMan wrote: »
    Who would you blame if beef prices were sub €3.30/kilo?

We couldn't get factories to increase price when English price was €1 more than here, don't know how anyone thought processors would increase price when english price was par.
    Hard to see where any improvement in price can come from when the price is the same right across Europe, Processors can give €4/kg ........where do they go with it then. fill the fridges and stop buying. can't see that working either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

johnnyw20 wrote: »

You'd want to have them booked in about two months before they're fit to kill. I dropped a few in to one of the local places today for a neighbour, no que, in, cattle off, washed trailer and out again in 15mins. Only 300 booked in there today according to the lad checking them in.

You'd wonder is that 38k figure correct? Maybe some are Polish cattle with 20%(?) value added by boning them here and qualifying for a bb sticker?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

More apt in the dairy calves 2020 thread!!

• Advertisement

Things were clean lifting for beef up to the protests.

It was a goldmine, 5 great years passed.

Advertisement