Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we off to tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was talking to a lad who seemed to think the 12 hour blockades weren't making any difference to retailers as the vast majority of traffic is in and out outside of the blockade times. Any truth in that?

The musgraves blockade a lot of lorries were back from lunchtime on, there was about 30 lorries parked up that day,A neighbour that I met up there that drives for them said a lot of lorries were told not to return so we wouldn't know how many were disrupted. He had left the yard that morning at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A really effective protest would have been to start at midnight. Then that wouldn't get media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

Rushe is connected to Musgraves, might make a difference.

If Rushe was to win the Deputy position, I'm thinking it important that he would have been seen to be in a position to block Musgraves. Theres a few days left in this week to do that, he's in position to push for it, and it would certainly strengthen his mandate afterwards.

Water John wrote: »
    A really effective protest would have been to start at midnight. Then that wouldn't get media coverage.

Don't think this is planning to effect shop shelves yet..that would certainly be a 7pm to 7am job..i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

kk.man wrote: »
    When we produced 30k per week the factories rode us, when we killed 28k per week and 24k per it was the same result. They brought in 30 month rule under many gusises but it controls the supply.
    We are dealing with a Cartel here that domestically or at EU level the powers that be don't want to tackle. That's the nub of the problem. The factories have no problem selling the meat none of it is left over or goes to intervention.

They are good at manipulating you at the moment, but if the numbers of cattle available for slaughter drop on a consistent basis, then sooner or later the prices have to rise.

The factories need a supply, to in turn fulfill their contracts of supply. They will have to pay more if production of cattle is reduced. The alternative would be to import cattle to slaughter and/ or reduce their operations and turn over.

Dry stock farmers are in a strong position if they use their position in a unified way - not by blockading stunts but by squeezing supply. But isn't that the issue - what suits some doesn't suit others and lessening production on a longer term basis means that some will have to get out of the business? Divide and conquer is the factories strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They are good at manipulating you at the moment, but if the numbers of cattle available for slaughter drop on a consistent basis, then sooner or later the prices have to rise.

The factories need a supply, to in turn fulfill their contracts of supply. They will have to pay more if production of cattle is reduced. The alternative would be to import cattle to slaughter and/ or reduce their operations and turn over.

Dry stock farmers are in a strong position if they use their position in a unified way - not by blockading stunts but by squeezing supply. But isn't that the issue - what suits some doesn't suit others and lessening production on a longer term basis means that some will have to get out of the business? Divide and conquer is the factories strength.

TBH I think you know very little about farming and how the Beef industry operates.
    Thanks for your contributions to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

It reminds me of the 12 pubs of christmas with this micky mouse strategy, just wandering around from place to place, business to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

They are on the right pub here and they should stay and drink it out. Make sure the headlines make the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Aye, tescos really seem like they care.

They won’t stop any beef going to shelves protesting outside donnabate depot as they don’t distribute chill or meat there..not sure why they chose there I suppose for the headline more than anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

aaronc182 wrote: »
    They won’t stop any beef going to shelves protesting outside donnabate depot as they don’t distribute chill or meat there..not sure why they chose there I suppose for the headline more than anything

Sure isn't that perfect! They wont effect their product but they're still affecting the retailer in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

aaronc182 wrote: »

Making joe last stand look good and not upsetting Tesco too much, nearly all supermarkets move product by night for easy access and quicker travel times, really a big pr stunt as usual telling where they are going to picket and get your work done lads before we arrive job.

Making joe last stand look good and not upsetting Tesco too much, nearly all supermarkets move product by night for easy access and quicker travel times, really a big pr stunt as usual telling where they are going to picket and get your work done lads before we arrive job.

They're in kilcock today, must be nearly as sad as the Beef plan protests now.
    Did you know where they were going this morning.

There is no private industry going to yield to bullying, processors will definitely carry on doing as they've always done, joke is on farmers at this stage especially now as they're squabbling among themselves.
    They're at Musgraves......wonder is Brian Rushe there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

wrangler wrote: »

There is no private industry going to yield to bullying, processors will definitely carry on doing as they've always done, joke is on farmers at this stage especially now as they're squabbling among themselves.

Cdc is where they should be. Rushe should be there, it’s no secret there’s a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

He is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Another tractor protest being organised. Anyone from here going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Another tractor protest being organised. Anyone from here going?

Beef plan or ifa? I more than likely won't be going to either but it's nice to know what's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

Are ifa anywhere today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

manjou wrote: »
    Are ifa anywhere today

Christmas dinner with Larry and Co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Robson99 wrote: »
    Christmas dinner with Larry and Co

Bought in Supervalue..........

• Advertisement

Bought in Supervalue..........

and poor larry helpless and unable to stop farmers making billions for him

and poor larry helpless and unable to stop farmers making billions for him

I know he is publicity shy but he is one man I'd love to get chatting to to get his own take on beef and farming from years ago to today

Bullocks wrote: »
    I know he is publicity shy but he is one man I'd love to get chatting to to get his own take on beef and farming from years ago to today

I see he came out smelling of roses in the sale of INM.
    Dermot Desmond and Denis Obrien lost their shirt and larry gains a million

I see he came out smelling of roses in the sale of INM.
    Dermot Desmond and Denis Obrien lost their shirt and larry gains a million

He might give them a side of beef apiece to see them through the Christmas!
    It's some boy that came out better than them two from a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Anyone going to Tullamore tonight?

Anyone going to Tullamore tonight?

IT'S a cold night to sit and watch a game.

24hr blockade in dunnes yesterday, fair dues to them, diabolical weather for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Oh, suddenly, it's the right thing to do!!! Ah so it slowly dawned on them that most distribution is, at night.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Oh, suddenly, it's the right thing to do!!! Ah so it slowly dawned on them that most distribution is, at night.

says you , from the fireside.

They're best entitled to decide, it's bloody cold out there

Advertisement