Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Barbarian

Very much a movie in 3 acts, this was a huge amount of fun. The first two acts were very intense, a really claustrophobic, jangling watch. The third act gets pretty silly but it doesn't take itself too seriously. Well worth a watch if you enjoyed the likes of The Descent.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Agree great little movie agree with movies like The Decent and Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes from it. Great performances from Georgina Campbell, Justin Long and Bill Skarsgård.

A solid 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

An Cailín Ciúin

Rented it on Volta.

Really enjoyed it. An Irish language film set in early 80's. Low Budget Indie. No big Hollywood noggins.

A very moving story put together so well.

9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Snake Eyes (1998)

Voyeuristic in the manner beloved of its director, with a touch of the exploitational; utterly bombastic from its first moments, and starred Nicholas Cage indulging in his more cranked-up, boggle-eyed persona - all strung together by DePalma flourishing every trick in his bag. All of it delivered what was an exceptionally entertaining Nonsense Thriller. DePalma might be criticised or praised as a Hitchcock fanboy depending on who you ask, but this brazen showboating of Cinema never once dropped the ball.

I can't say how much the plot made sense - both the narrative and the conspiratorial one within - but I couldn't bring myself to care when the sheer brio of the feature was this engaging. This was also a crowd-pleaser that had unbridled contempt for every facet of its cast's institutions: politics, police, media, military; all corrupt and morally bankrupt, but only Brian DePalma could make it seem like an electrifying ride as we watched it be peeled apart, one PoV shot and perspective shift at a time.

When I looked this up, I had presumed DePalma had quietly died and missed the news, or was just living out his retirement. NOpe. He's still making movies! And all of them stinkers, by the read of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Causeway

Watched on Apple TV+ New film from Jennifer Lawrence, she produced and stars in it. She plays a woman who suffers a traumatic brain injury while on military duty in Afghanistan, forced to return home to New Orleans while she tries to recover enough to get medical permission to redeploy. She strikes up a tentative friendship with a local mechanic, played by Brian Tyree Henry, who is carrying his own trauma. It's easily the best film Lawrence has made in quite some time (low bar, I'll admit). BTH is fantastic opposite her, they have an easy chemistry and it is a slow, quiet, tender character study, but I found it deeply moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Trees Lounge'

A 1996 film written by, directed by and starring Steve Buscemi about an aimless out of work mechanic who spends all his time at a dead end bar that is the title of the movie. 'Trees Lounge' is one of those low budget American slice-of-life films that are a rare treat these days and features a ton of familiar faced non-stars mixed in with soon to be big names like Samuel L. Jackson.

Buscemi's character, Tommy, drifts around his dead end suburban Long Island town hopelessly looking for another mechanic's job and lamenting his current situation, which he salves by drinking. He eventually takes up driving his uncles ice cream truck after the old guy dies, but his future looks bleak.

Buscemi's movie is pretty dark, while not depressing, and has at its centre a humour and a heart that most people will recognise. However, Tommy's situation is not one that anyone would envy. His worsening alcoholism and unemployment is augmented by the fact that his girlfriend of 8 years, Teresa, recently left him for the boss who fired him and she may also be pregnant with his baby. But Tommy remains a relatively charming figure, even if he's destined to live out his years in self destruction.

'Trees Lounge' was a very personal film for Buscemi, who the main character is a reflection of. Before taking up acting full time, Buscemi was Tommy, and his life was on course for the same direction. So the film has an authenticity about burgeoning alcoholics that other stories may lack. This keeps things on an even keel and while there's an underlying bleakness, Tommy's tale never veers into the hysterical.

8/10

'Gerald's Game'

One of the more successful movie adaptations of a Stephen King novel, albeit a lesser title, 'Gerald's Game' takes place almost entirely in one room and in one woman's head. Echoing shades of the bed bound author in 'Misery', another successful adaptation from the "master of horror", the tale focuses on a middle aged couple who take a few days out in a remote cabin in the country to spice up their love life. Although, it's clear that it's Gerald (Bruce Greenwood) who is more interested in a particular kind of spice than his wife Jessie (Carla Gugino). Gerald's particular penchant is for a bit of light BDSM restraint, which ends up making Jessie very uncomfortable and during a bout of a few uttered home truths about her husband's newly discovered rape fantasies, Gerald suffers a heart attack leaving Jessie handcuffed to the bed and at the mercy of elements beyond her control.

Unfortunately, 'Gerald's Game' is not as entertaining as 'Misery' and comes off as trying to stuff too much into a story that may have been better off more streamlined. It bounces all over the place from childhood abuse trauma, to martial revelations, to grave robbing necrophiliacs, and while a person's mind may indeed wander in an aimless manner while having many hours to use, it doesn't necessarily make for a completely satisfying story.

But 'Gerald's Game' is no dud either and the two leads put in a pretty good and convincing performance, especially Gugino who goes from mousey, to wreck, to heroine while mostly lying on a king sized mattress. However, the film could have definitely used a few slices here and there even if it is well made.

6/10

'See How they Run'

A Wes Anderson movie that wasn't directed by Wes Anderson, 'See how they Run' seeks to channel that instantly recognisable Anderson touch and couple it with that distinctly British air that is abundant in numerous whodunit efforts, especially those of Agatha Christie who's, probably, the genre's most famous participant. Set during the first year of 'The Mousetrap', the longest running play in the history of theatre, the film tells the story of the murder of an obnoxious American movie director who is bumped off while in the middle of trying to secure the film rights to the play and the subsequent efforts to solve the case by a jaded Scotland Yard detective, Inspector Stoppard (Sam Rockwell), and his overly enthusiastic assistant, Constable Stalker (Saoirse Ronan).

'See how they Run' is littered with references, homages, nods, and winks to the audience that will resonate best with people who are drawn to that type of homely British murder mystery. But knowledge of either the genre or the names associated with it are not necessary requirements for enjoyment, and someone who is blissfully ignorant of either will get something out of it. It's also helped immensely by two great performances by Rockwell and Ronan, the latter giving a subtly humorous turn that should put a smile on most people's faces.

If the movie has any drawbacks, though, it's the fact that the mystery itself is quite a lacklustre one and the last third of the film cannot compete with the first two. But over all, it's funny and well worth the time, even if it won't have you in a laughing fit.

7/10

Navalny

I knew very little about this guy, or what happened to him, other than there was an opponent of Putin who was poisoned. So on that front it was a fascinating story, with some genuinely suspenseful and shocking moments. He does seem to be very smart and very in control of everything he can be in control of, so I'm not sure how much of this documentary was the director having free reign and how much of it was Navalny and his people using it to their benefit. Either way it's still a good watch, especially if like me you knew only the very basic bones of the story.

I rewatched recently and yeah, it's really good. "Like that."

Mayor of Kingstown is excellent, Jeremy Renner basically plays the same character from The Town, but in a suit and with more of a conscience. Well worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Barbarian (2022)

A movie that deftly ruined the idea of a playful *boop* on the nose.

The positives first, which to be fair informed the majority of my opinion: first and foremost this was a very handsome piece of gleeful sleaze; a vehicle with a surprising confidence in its use of space, geography and the cinematic form to make the most of the single domestic location. There's a part of our lizard brains that I think bristles at the sight of basements, that fear of the subterranean; the sure direction translated that phobia into an enthusiastic turning of the screw, the tension steadily maintained. Certainly if the viewer didn't have worry about basements before this film, it might changed their mind. Overall, the house had a resting vibe of the uncanny, despite the superficial welcoming facade. A distinct feeling that something was amiss - and it was only a matter of time before it all went South.

But the last act was where it all fell off the cliff for me: firstly in a sudden uptick in the absurd to the degree that felt like within the space of a single movie, we went from Evil Dead 1 ... to Evil Dead 2, by ways of tonal comparison. I didn't hate it, but the prior wry subversions up to that point felt like fun garnish - whereas the last act instead turned that flavouring into a firehouse. But in getting to that last act of exploitational zeal, the script committed to a moment that broke my suspension of disbelief beyond repair - even if in retrospect, it kinda worked as part of an overall theme I had only perceived in passing.

Sometimes there's a moment: that little point in a script where for the movie to continue, a total contrivance was fashioned to enable the chaos. And depending on the artfulness of the writing it can be believable, subtle even - or it can be so egregious there was no recovery. It's an ask more common in Horror Cinema in some ways: those tropes lampooned in Cabin in the Woods where (by way of example) the cast split up when common sense and basic survival instincts dictated staying together. All so the sacrificial lambs could be picked off one by one for our entertainment. It's a tricky balancing act and one that requires the script to arrest the viewer's brain from engaging too long, concentrate too much on the gears of the machine.

So everything had been chugging along nicely in this artisanal piece of trash, the insanity escalating in the right direction ... until a certain interaction involving its lead (female) character happened, one that made me Nope out of the story too much. My brain started obsessing about it. It was a point where what I suspected was Subtext became Text - but to a degree I couldn't buy into. Doubly so because like a group splitting up in the spooky woods, it was a contrivance to ensure the Horror could continue. I kinda half-muttered "oh come on" to myself; I knew what the story was trying to say but equally, it didn't gel. It was sticking to The Message too doggedly.

But the preceding three-quarters? Really good stuff, so still worth a watch - just not sure it stuck the landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got round to watching La La Land (2016): I admired it as a technical exercise, but the music was meh, and the plot ... ye gods. It makes the two leads look incredibly dumb. Spoilers ahead: it's a contemporary setting and they have smartphones, but they don't actually use them to communicate with each other at all e.g. for one to tell the other that they'd be late for an event. They break up over a silly misunderstanding. At one point (spoiler alert) the guy drives nearly 300 miles to deliver a message, with no suggestion that he tried calling her. Then the ending ... the director admits that he "pillaged" An American In Paris (1951), and he's not kidding.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ambulance – Horrendous flick, lot of fancy quick camera shots. Idiotic script, Gyllenhaal in awful actor.  

Morbius – **** shite.

*Spoliers*

'All Quiet on the Western Front'

The third movie adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's 1928 book is a strange affair. It alters large amounts of Remarque's story that it can hardly be considered the same thing, whilst managing to retain the sense of horror and futility that the central character experiences. So much so that most of the camaraderie that Paul Baumer (Felix Kammerer) also enjoys is eliminated and, thus, what we are left with in Netflix's version is a thoroughly drab, joyless, and at times terrifying view of trench warfare that characterised the Great War. In the book, though, Paul speaks about his friendship with Kat, Tjaden, Albert etc, so that when they fall we feel Paul's loss. Whereas, in the 2022 movie, we don't have any real understanding of his loss at all because we never get a sense of closeness that these men have. In fact we barely have any understanding of Paul Baumer, himself, and it makes for quite a standoffish viewing experience.

Plus, several key passages and characters are done away with for reasons that remain unclear, even if it's understandable in a film that already boasts a heavy run time. For example the character of Himmelstoss, the petty non-com who has a big impact on Baumer and his comrades, is nowhere to be seen and the teacher who urges Paul and his classmates to go to war, with a fervour that can only come from someone who has never seen combat, is reduced to a few lines of unimpressive dialogue. Paul's leave from the front is cut, which means we don't get to see his disillusionment with those left far behind the lines, including his mother. Important scenes like death of the aforementioned Kat are significantly altered, too, and Paul's last moments are rendered in a terribly unsatisfactory way in a completely unnecessary action scene that is strips all the poignancy out of the book's final paragraphs. However, the biggest change of all is the inclusion of a character that was never in the book, in the shape of Matthias Erzberger (Daniel Bruhl), a real life politician who was against the war and was one of the German delegates who signed the armistice in November 1918. Unfortunately, these scenes with Erzberger only serve to replace more important scenes from the book that really should have remained and they come off as a bit awkward.

But while the movie does have some curious omissions and changes, 'All Quiet on the Western Front' succeeds in its depiction of the horrifying nature of close combat. From the opening scene to the various "over the top" attacks that subsequently occur, no punches are pulled. There are no heroes here, either, and there are no One Man Army Hollywood cliches mowing down legions of "bad guys" with ease. These young men are terrified at what they have to do and they do it with a resigned desperation and almost automatic sense of hopeless duty in a war that lost all meaning for them long ago. In particular there is a failed attack on a French trench that ends with a French counter attack in which they use Saint Chamond tanks and flame throwers that is absolutely chilling.

Over all, despite its shortcomings, the film looks fantastic and the attention to detail is genuinely impressive. The acting is generally very good, with a particularly interesting performance by Albrecht Shcuch as Stanislaus "Kat" Katczinsky, the illiterate "old man" of the group whom Paul looks up to, and the direction is carried out in that very straightforward, no nonsense, German way. 'All Quiet on the Western Front' is very much a German war film in that it's a serious, tragic, and an honest depiction.

8/10

I felt like the Armistace negotiation scenes were added in to frame the main action as the dying days of the war. I assume it was either supposed to add some tension to those final trench scenes, or, they didn't trust people would know the date and time the armistice was declared, and be aware of the context of what we were seeing with the soldiers. I did feel like it really killed the pacing at times, and it also felt a little unsubtle in the points they were making. Again, it felt like maybe they didn't trust their audience to understand what they were watching.

I think there was a more pragmatic aspect to the TrainCar Negotiation Scenes: World War 1 is now more than 100 years old and it's useful to include a degree of context in which the ordinary soldier's fates existed. I don't think it was a case of trusting audiences, inasmuch as it was adding some perspective of the war overall - especially from a German perspective. In many respects, what happened in the dying days of WW1 had distinct connections with what happened in Germany over the following 10-20 years.

The French desire for revenge and punishment, and the perceived capitulation by the civilian government in the eyes of the German aristocracy & "warrior class", all sowed the seeds for the even larger disaster that befell the nation and its population. This was the first German-language adaptation of All Quiet, and I get the impression from some comments made, the makers wanted to remind ordinary Germans the cost of WW1 - not just in terms of a lost generation, but the later loss of its soul as a country. A loss it has only recently begun to restore.

On the scenes with Erzberger...sure there's obviously the intent on behalf of the film makers to show a kind of tense countdown to the 11th hour 11/11/18. But those scenes halt the the movie dead in its tracks and, to me, feel like they're too much of an afterthought and, almost, shipped in from another movie. But then, I've been reading about the world wars since I was a young boy, so I'm probably not the intended audience for that particular thrust of the film and maybe the film makers felt that not having the railcar armistice negotiations in the story would somehow leave some people in some confusion as to how WWI came to its whimpering close*. To me, they (and the kinda absurd final battle scene) just don't need to be in the movie and in any case Paul dies, unceremoniously, on a quiet day in October in book and in the other movie versions. WWI is still going when he is killed. To me, that will always be the better, and sadder, ending.

Also, as Pix says, there was probably a desire (ill conceived IMO) to link the end of the Great War with the coming one twenty years later. That's certainly the point of the General Friedrichs character, another entirely made up addition to the list of people in the story. Clearly he's a link, and an extremely blunt one at that, to Germany's right wing who would be responsible for the rise of Hitler and the "stab in the back" theory that fuelled their early political machinations. But he never comes off as anything but a clumsy addition.

But they're relatively minor slip ups in a generally good film that's well worth watching and it's absolutely the most visceral and striking depiction of the First World War that I've seen.

*As an aside, Hitler had the same railcar shipped to Compiegne, again, and made the French delegates sign their surrender document in June 1940.

The non-trench scenes are definitely an abrupt halt to the pacing, on that I 100% agree. I may have liked them on balance for what they served - but the broke the tension, every time. And the fictional General was a few gags away from Blackadder in terms of thematic subtly - thinking of his PA, and their chat about a blacksmith never going out of business in 1918, lol - but I didn't think the film was especially subtle to begin with. Not when one of its invented moments was a (quite excellently conceived) segue into Horror during that tank attack. Less rumination and introspection - more visceral smacks across the face. Like yourself though I've read a fair bit on the 2 wars across the years, and have always found the French perspective quite fascinating for some reason; but we're in a different position analysing the film - compared with those I suspect it was all aimed at.

I remember, or at least I think I remember, when Germany hosted the Football World Cup back in 2006: there was a weird cultural moment going on from what I understood. You had these young generations of Germans who only knew "Germany" as this progressive, forward-thinking nation - but one that has consciously done so to move on from a stain it can never remove. So there was a national conversation about just waving the National Flag to celebrate being an enthusiastic host. Schools and resting social programming had said "Don't be too nationalistic, remember Germany's shame" - but here was the biggest occasion in the world when it's expected to be proud of one's nation. London sure didn't have that problem during the 2012 Olympics with its parachuting Queen.

I'm totally spitballing and then some... so must see if I can dig out some commentary from the directors to find their intent. 'cos I wonder how the film went down in Germany for that reason. Germans under 25 must have found it curious? So however clumsy the execution was, perhaps the intent was to crudely remind Germans of own their collective shame, albeit by way of rebadging the story as a Cautionary Tale. It's all a unique perspective, when we're buttressed by the UK and US - two countries constantly fighting or ignoring their own historical sins.

There's a whole conversation to be had about a world where Germany wasn't made to, basically, foot the entire bill for WW1 and punish it. But I digress.

Upgrade (2018)

An occasionally grisly Sci-Fi thriller whose biggest strength was a frequent and inventive use of the camera to accentuate its crunchy fight scenes with a distinct and uncanny sense of someone controlled by an AI; as has often been the case across the history of cinema, a slim budget necessitated invention: so in this case, it was the (apparent) use of a smartphone's gyroscope, secreted on its lead's person, so the cameras could pivot parallel to Logan Marshall-Green's own movements - the end result being the film's violence had an eerie sense of precision and efficiency not normally seen with melee combat on-screen; while Marshall-Green's baffled and panicked face as his body whirled about added a touch of dark humour throughout. The plot itself was utterly boilerplate, albeit with a mean-spirited but applause worthy mic-drop; while there were intriguing hints towards a world of Cyborg Supremacy; but at 90 minutes long, this film remained absolutely focused on delivering the goods. No distractions, no bloat. So much Hollywood could (re)learn here.

@pixelburp

I'm totally spitballing and then some... so must see if I can dig out some commentary from the directors to find their intent. 'cos I wonder how the film went down in Germany for that reason. Germans under 25 must have found it curious? So however clumsy the execution was, perhaps the intent was to crudely remind Germans of own their collective shame, albeit by way of rebadging the story as a Cautionary Tale. It's all a unique perspective, when we're buttressed by the UK and US - two countries constantly fighting or ignoring their own historical sins.

There'll always be a part of England that will love the fact that the Nazis came into power, because it let's them off the hook for a lot of their own egregious historical record. There's a certain type that absolutely love to wipe the war in Germany's face as often as they can, while at the same time conveniently forgetting that their past Empire wasn't won with tea and cake and there's been a disturbing rise of nationalist sentiment over there amongst certain quarters. There are other nations, too, that won't be shy in reminding Germany of her shame, but the English make a real sport of it.

As for ze Germans...I sometimes feel that they can go over the top, if you pardon the pun, with their attempts to eternally atone for Hitler, a man for whom many of younger generation means very little other than a kleine schwein that was involved in starting the worst war the world has ever seen. But they'll never be allowed to get over the 12 years that comprised the Third Reich, despite the fact that German history comprises much more than just those 144 months.

I can't speak for any Germans under 25, as I don't know any. But I can tell you that any Germans I've met and know would have known 'Im Westen Nicht Neues', at least by title. But I wonder if the book still has the resonance it once had all right. IIRC, it was required reading in German schools at one point.

There's a whole conversation to be had about a world where Germany wasn't made to, basically, foot the entire bill for WW1 and punish it. But I digress.

Mmmm...there is. But, frankly, with the dissolution of Austro-Hungarian Empire, there wasn't going to be anyone else to put the blame on and the allies wanted their pound of flesh, as it were. But Versailles will forever serve as a reminder of what not to do when you win a war. Although, its not like the allies actually learned that lesson at the end of WWII because the Morgenthau Plan really only became the Marshall Plan because Europe needed a strong Germany to act as bulwark against Russia. So without that reality, the Germans would have been crucified once again.

You've probably seen it, but there's a really great German mini series about WW2 called Generation War from a few years ago. I think the literal translation of the German title for it is Our Fathers, Our Mothers, or something like that. And I remember reading something along the lines of what you mention above, that modern Germany in some ways had become a little removed from the history of the wars, and the makers of it wanted to make the point that for Germans of a certain age, it was their mother's and father's generation that lived through Ww2.

Bit of a tangent there, but personally I preferred it to All Quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

Arracht

Low Budget Irish language film set in Famine era. I enjoyed it for what it was and thought it was a nicely put together period Indie film that made the best use of its resources. Much more convincing and for me just plain better then very flawed and much higher budget black 47.On Volta.ie.

8/10

The Pledge

On Netflix. A Thriller about a retired Cop obsessed with a cold case. Jack Nicholson stars as do many other stars of note , although briefly. Has a bit of a True Detective Vibe which carries it through but for me Ultimately it was a let down.

6/10

'The English'

Amazon's 6 part revenge western, starring Emily Blunt, is one of the most beautifully shot television series that I have ever seen. In fact it's so absorbing from an aesthetic point of view that there's a real danger that the viewer can get distracted completely with the visuals and easily miss the fluctuations in the story, of which there are a number. 'The English' jumps all over the place and looking away from the screen for even a moment could spell confusion as to what's happening on it, which is where the show lets itself down. In the blink of an eye, we can go from 1875 to 1890 and the jerk from the flash forwards and backwards can be extremely jarring indeed. Plus, characters are introduced and dispatched in very short order, so just as we are getting to, at least, understand someone they can be gone.

In addition, the interconnecting storylines are awkwardly explored. So we end up bouncing uncomfortably from one situation to the next whilst trying to piece together the entanglements that each has. All of which leads one to think that a more straight forward narrative might have served the series better over all.

But if there's a narrative flux going on in the show, the same cannot be said for the acting, especially from Emily Blunt, Chaske Spencer and Rafe Spall, who are uniformly excellent and the general level of grittiness that prevails throughout keeps things interesting. 'The English' is a nasty story about nasty people and one where few hands, or souls, are kept clean. From the first episode to the last we are witnesses to the actions of some truly reprehensible folk, who are abhorrent, yet terribly fascinating. The make up on several characters is an absolute triumph, as well, with a couple of them sporting truly hideous visages.

Unfortunately, it's a story that lacks a satisfactory ending and the show doesn't seem pleased with it itself. But it still remains a yarn that's well worth checking out, even with its obvious downsides.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Arbitrage

Thriller with Richard Gere. Capitalism with a mystery/Thriller element to it. I loved it. 2 hours just breezes by. 8 out of 10.

Paradise Island

With Bruce Willis and John Travolta. The reviews were not great, but I thought with Travolta, Stephen Dorf and Willis, it shouldn't be too bad. But it is worse than bad. Avoid at all costs. Extremely amateurish film. Shocking acting. Took the biscuit at then when one of the main characters dies, and 2 minutres later, his son is hooking up with some hot detective lady, in a happily ever after scenario. I've watched a couple of recent Bruce WIllis films in the past while. I'm done now. They are as bad as the media pait them to be. 2 out of 10

The Company You Keep out of

Quite good. Another journalism/political type drama/thriller - Robert Redford and Shia LaBoef. From looking at the film, it looked like it was based on a true out of story. But apparently not. It's entertaining drama. 7 out of 10

Whilst the news of his cognitive decline has put context on his latter-day CV, anything with Bruce Willis since ... Looper / Moonrise Kingdom is best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Prey

I finally got around to watching this having had it on my watchlist for a while. I heard good things about this but I found it disappointing. On the plus side, I liked the cinematography, and the lead is likeable enough. Aside from that, I didn't like the CGI, I thought the treatment of the tribal life was too basic and thin to get invested in, and I found the Predator pretty stupid at times. My biggest gripe would be the dialogue. I get that they want the actors to speak English, but did they have to speak like modern day Americans? The tone was off and too jarring. All the sarcastic quips and stuff. It just didn't seem appropriate for the period imo and took me out of the moment. The ending was underwhelming as well, I thought. Big fan of the original starring Arnie but didn't think this came close to it.

6/10

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I think most people enjoyed 'Prey' because it didn't totally suck. So it gets more kudos than it really deserves. But it's really just an ok movie at the end of the day.

But 'Predator' is one of those 80's lightening in a bottle things that, no matter how hard they try, will never be captured again.

AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001)

I had seen a few outlets championing this of late. A degree of retroactive praise for a then much hyped production that I believe flatlined on initial release. I hadn't myself watched it in the 20+ years since then - when I was barely an adult - and had wondered how much of this excitability might boil down to simple contrarianism. Or if it were genuine revisionist views of a film misidentified as sappy Spielbergian mush drowning out Kubrick's famously colder temperature. While I can't remember my own exact thoughts from 2001, the remaining echo of memory was broad indifference?

With all that in mind then this rewatch was something of a revelation: to the extent I even might speculate this as a dark horse for Spielberg's best? Or failing that, his most subversive work; where he flipped his own reputation and tonal aesthetic on its head, used it for a different purpose. The context of now being a parent to 2 children since that first viewing also made certain incidents hit much harder.

It took a special and unlikely combination of mercurial ingredients that managed to cook up the most sentimentally unsentimental take on True Love mainstream cinema could fashion. Perhaps Spielberg's noted indulgence for hokey sap made those original audiences stop looking past that superficiality; but snuck in among his ostensible over-cranked sentimentality was a story about how a literal undying love is not remotely romantic or emboldening... but a crippling limbo - a borderline Sisyphean curse where its victim might wander the earth in search of unrequited love. An emotionally devastating theme that was constantly nodded at throughout the story, but perhaps underlined by that heartbreaking ending of oblivion: a final scene that had a deceptive façade of sweetness of a wish granted; but a few seconds of thought, buttressed by the previous two hours, revealed something more haunting and - at best - bittersweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

If you liked Arbitrage then I'd highly recommend 'Margin Call', if you haven't seen it already.

1408 (2007)

First time seeing this again since its release, and its a very good psychological horror.

John Cusack a few years before Hollywood canned him plays a writer to stays in haunted places and writes about them to show its all just hocus pocus. He goes to stay in room 1408 of the dolphin hotel where over 50 people have died in various gruesome ways.

And then it all begins - and if you can manage to put yourself in his shoes for an hour or two its scary stuff indeed with some great plot twists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Don't Worry, Darling

Visually and stylistically, this is a dream. A lot of Mad Men vibes off it and also reminded me of Edward Scissorhands to some extent.

Florence Pugh was brilliant but Harry Styles was fairly wooden, not to mention his character being British as his American accent wasn't up to it. Chris Pine was a scene stealer but he could have been used more.

I won't go too much into the plot so as to avoid giving away a big spoiler but it was interesting. It had a message and a target and executed it fairly well without being too repetitive. It also offered quite a few viewpoints, instead of having all the characters banging the same drum.

That said, the final act was a bit rushed and I wasn't entirely sure what the ending meant (given this is a film that clearly wants to say something beyond the ins and outs of its story).

Advertisement