Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

what does Costa Gavras have to do with it? he had no part in this movie.

personally, didn't think very highly of it. some great scenes and moments obviously, but even just the about face of Abdel had me cringing. 4/10 at best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I know but i wasn't sure why the father was brought in to the equation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Halloween (1978)

This really is a great film. It's impressive how effective it is despite decades having passed since its release and a seemingly endless succession of sequels, with Carpenter's score a simple yet chillingly effective accompaniment.

As with most horror franchises, the sequels are diminishing returns at best (in part because they misunderstand what makes the first film work). I give the 2nd film a bit of time since Carpenter wrote it, but beyond that they're pretty poor fare (even as someone who appreciates the intent of part 4's ending, whether or not it actually works...).

Stick to the original and best, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭8mv

Don't Worry Darling - In the cinema.

The naysayers are wrong I think - This is a very good movie. Florence Pugh is excellent as reported, but Harry Styles acquits himself very well in his role, as do the other main supports - Olivia Wilde, Chris Pine and Gemma Chan. An intriguing and unsettling story that reveals itself slowly and well directed by Wilde. Saw it with my daughter and we were still talking about it in the car next day - always the sign of a good film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have something of a soft spot for Halloween 3, which I watched for the first time around Halloween last year. It's not a particularly good film, but it is weird and interesting, and I think the 'Halloween-themed anthology stories' model would have been a more fruitful one to pursue rather than endless Michael Myers resurrections and reboots.

Watched H20 for the first time this weekend as I didn't get around to it when working through some of the Halloween series last year. One of the most frustating ones IMO - not as obviously bad as something like Halloween Kills or Halloween 4 (until the aforementioned ending), but it flattens the series into a generic 90s slasher film. No surprise Kevin Williamson was involved. Shalln't be bothering with Resurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Taken as a stand alone film, 'Halloween III' is something of a minor B movie masterpiece. It's thoroughly fascinating in its batshit crazy way with a story that's screams WTF. I've wheelled it out nearly every Halloween for the past few years and it's always satisfying. In fact, after the original movie, it's probably the most satisfying of the entire, and admittedly, poor franchise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't remember if I've seen H3 or not (if I have it clearly made little impression!) but I am intrigued by a fanedit I read about called The Night Of Samhain which combines parts of H3 and H6 into a single storyline.

(I think most horror franchises are pretty poor after their original film tbh - the only one I can think of with the same voice across all the films is Phantasm and even there, while I like a lot of the individual elements, most of Lord Of The Dead can get in the bin...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's definitely worth giving H3 a go if you've either never seen it or don't remember it :P It feels like it has been undergoing a resurgence in recent years after very much being despised at release, and the rehabilitation is deserved. It 100% lacks the directorial vision John Carpenter brought, and as @Tony EH suggests it's best treated as a standalone film. But it has a strange energy to it that elevates it significantly above the many resurrections of Myers. That said, I know there's also something of a cult following for Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 - I think I saw it on DVD when it came out, but it's another one I must rewatch.

And yeah there are exceedingly few good horror franchise sequels - given so many of them generate a dizzying number of sequels, the hit-to-miss ratio is abysmal even allowing for the ultra-cynical nature of commercial horror franchising. There's the odd Hellraiser 2 that's a solid follow-up. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 is also a very worthy sequel to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, I would have loved to see the anthology idea work, the Fog could probably have fitted into it. As mentioned above, the idea of a cult may have been interesting if done right (couldn't be worse than unstoppable zombie Michael).

• Advertisement

The only other horror-franchise-sequel I can think of that I've been pleasantly surprised by is Friday 13th Part 6, which injected just the right amount of humour into the film (right from the opening credits) to set the right "just go along with it" mindset in the audience.

I'm intrigued by the idea of rewatching Zombieween 2 - I recall liking some of what he did in the first film, but I also remember thinking that the best version was some fanedited version or other which managed to focus on the best bits of both films (I think it was either The Myers Family or Angel Myers, but couldn't say which). Most of Zombie's output over the last decade has been poor and getting steadily worse, so it would be interesting to see what response a rewatch engenders...

Off the top of my head, the only horror film series where a sequel exceeds the original is Romero's Dead series. Without a doubt the third film, 'Day of the Dead', was the finest entry in that series and yet another classic that received a lukewarm reception at the time.

As for 'Phantasm', I've only ever been able to get along with the original movie. But like 'Halloween III', Coscarelli's film is another case of a batshit crazy story that you just have to go with to enjoy. There's absolutely no sense in questioning anything that's occurring on the screen.

I’d almost file Romero’s films under an entirely different category to the usual horror franchise fare - they’ve so little in common with each other other than the general zombie premise. Sequels only in the loosest sense.

I would disagree with Day over Dawn though! I like Day - it’s a fascinating film. But Dawn is such a perfect specimen that to me it stands apart from even Romero’s other great films. Might even be inclined to call Dawn my favourite horror film of them all.

Sure, the films are loosely connected, but they are supposed to be a snapshot in time within the same event, shall we say. Well, Night, Dawn, Day and Land anyway. The reboot of 'Diary of the Dead' and 'Survival of the Dead' were such diabolical missteps, I still have a hard time figuring out why Romero decided to do what he did with those pictures. But, yeah, Romero wasn't too fussed about a strong continuation strand within any movie in the quad.

As for 'Dawn of the Dead', it's a great film for sure (even nicer on the recent blu box set), but 'Day of the Dead' has always trumped it as far as I'm concerned. That movie is just downright grim and grimy.

With the exception of the characters, which I consider to be on par, and the brilliant shopping mall setting (even though the underground bunker setting is interesting in its own right), everything about Day is just superior. The acting, the makeup, the effects, the story, the atmosphere, all have the 1978 film beat. So much so that I would consider 'Day of the Dead' not only my favourite horror film, but the best horror film ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

Oof. That moment I had finally adjusted my headspace and accepted the archaic, somewhat regressive cultural tone ... then pulled a spit-take upon multiple, casual uses of the N word. Big Yikes. 

Beyond the sometimes suffocatingly stagey and aggressively uncinematic presentation of the whole thing (existing as it did only a handful of years after Citizen Kane), this was still a fabulously dark tale of mannerly murder. One whose final shot was a perfect mic-drop, that it might challenge our modern over-reliance on endless codas. The film's subsequent cultural footprint may rightly centre on it being one where one of its stars played multiple roles, but it never felt like that conceit was the whole point - never being suffocated with excess or affectation. I will admit though, I found the humour so dry & arch, it was hard to know exactly how I was meant to feel about its central schemer. Dennis Price's performance was itself stellar: that of a politely embittered ladder-climber out for revenge; but his constant contempt for his lowly status - and those sharing it - left me a little confused if the audience was meant to share with, or reject, his character's narrated disdain for ordinary folk. His victims certainly weren't terrible people mind you, merely disconnected from reality in that way the old Landed Gentry tended to be; so that seemed like a clue we weren't meant to cheer his murders.

An interesting surprise lay in Alec Guinness' famous, eight separate performances though. Especially now when this type of concept is found mostly in comedies, there's a tendency to overplay multiple roles to easier differentiate the characters' personalities (step forward Mike Myers). That, plus given how acting from that era hadn't yet shaken off its theatrical roots, I was bracing myself for a loud and flamboyantly affected performances. No so: instead, Guinness gave each variation more subtly and naturalism than many subsequent attempts would ever try. Indeed, I had to check his age because being then in his mid-30s, Guinness managed to convey an utterly convincing set of older gentlemen - right down to how each held themselves. 

Equal surprise really there has never been so much as a hint towards a remake: a modern adaptation, fully free of those constraining 1940s moral & class deferences, could be quite entertaining and really sharpen the dark, satirical edges from the original. Not sure who might make for an appropriate actor to play the various family members. That'd be an interesting thought experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ich seh, ich seh (Mommy Dearest in English, I think).

I remember seeing a trailer for this when it first came out and wanted to see it. Finally got around to it tonight.

I liked the film. The eerieness was perfect and the lack of dialogue in large parts added to the tension. The two boys did well but the mother was very impressive. She had a great range and did very well as she developed from anger and frustration into desperation.

Unfortunately, I figured out the 'twist' in one of the earliest scenes and spent the rest of the film looking to have it confirmed so it came as no surprise when it was revealed, which was a shame because it was a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

One deadly summer 1983 is currently streaming on Amazon. I only decided to watch solely for the fact it star's Isabelle Adjani who was so good in possession but she's even better here, a career best. Wasn't expecting much from the movie but it turned out to be one of the more interesting Mysteries I've seen in a long while. Starts of like a sex comedy but gets much darker the more you realise what's really going on, manages to weave many genres without it ever seeming distracting also. Made me laugh more than any comedy movie I'd seen recently and if your a fan of Isabelle Adjani you get to see her in all her glory lol she doesn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched A Simple Favor, which I'd been meaning to do for some time. I like the way Anna Kendrick seems to bring some naturalistic comedy in to all her roles and embraces absurdity. I wasn't entirely convinced by the plot, though, and the subplot involving Stephanie's deceased husband and brother (not a spoiler) didn't seem to tell us anything useful. I see a sequel is now in the works.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

After the chat upthread about Halloween III, I ended up watching both Halloween III and "The Night of Samhain" (a slickly-made fanedit combining Halloween III and the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers).

Even remembering the already-significant quality drop between Halloween and H2, Season of the Witch is a poorer film than its predecessor - barely 2 minutes in and it starts serving up cheap jumpscares. What I did like was Conal Cochran, a more interesting antagonist (and somewhat better performance) than horror films usually manage. The combination of science-fictional and supernatural elements was interesting in that it's unusual, but the ropey-B-movie level of the script makes sure it never really goes anywhere interesting.

Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised that combining two mediocre-to-bad sequels around their common thematic element of cults actually made for an enjoyable take on the material - the stories can't fully converge because they are two separate films, but they dovetail quite well and the faneditor involved put a lot of effort into little bits of visual effects and sound replacement to make the whole thing mesh well.

I think my next horror rewatch will be something like Idle Hands, Cabin In The Woods or You Might Be The Killer. If I'm going to be dealing with tropes I'd like some self-aware humour to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Clerks III Kevin Smiths output has been pretty poor in the last couple of years and wasn't expecting much from this but have to say I kind of enjoyed it and had a strong 3rd act that did have me shed a tear. I suppose it depends if you like these characters and Smiths movies but think this was his best effort in a couple of years. 6.5/10

Emily the Criminal nice little Indy thriller starring Aubrey Plaza and Theo Rossi, enjoyed this which plot revolves around credit card fraud. Some quite tense scenes in it and worth a watch. 7/10

Mr Harrigan's Phone. Always great to see Donald Sutherland give a strong performance but this movie just wasn't great, based on the Stephen King's short story it really feels weak it's not really horror, hard to explain it just kind of ends and no real payoff at the end. 5/10

Finally I got around to watching Hereditary and thought it was excellent. I had seen Ari Astor's Midsommar first and really loved it. And this lived up to all the great things I had heard about it. Very creepy original horror that didn't have the usual Blumhouse style. Jump scares. But had these dark scenes where you could just make out shapes and figures in the shadows. Fantastic performance from Toni Collette Alex Wolff and Gabriel Byrne 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2010: The Year We Made Contact (1984)

There was probably more dialogue in a single voiceover from this, than across the entire runtime of 2001.

I am a total sucker for that deeply analog era of late 70s, early 80s science fiction; where the sole digital presence might be some hokey wireframes on CRT monitors, the screens surrounded by a plethora of buttons with clicky haptic feedback. The bridges of spaceships like some messy amalgamation of an airline cockpit and Cold War tank. 

I know nothing of the background of this movie, beyond a suspicion it was a cash-grab by MGM; but there was something oddly ballsy that a redundant sequel to one of the key pillars of cinematic history would be so brazenly, aggressively artless: the silent enigmas of the original now spoken and explained; hard cuts between disconnected scenes; really clumsy blocking during other moments; hamfisted exposition through voiceover; and overall, just a total disinterest in any kind of tonal or thematic consistency with the prior classic. It was as if Peter Hyams knew he was always on a hiding to nothing, so never tried pretending he was Kubrick - or even Kubrick adjacent. And when iconography from the 1968 movie inevitably did appear, it was all framed and composed with almost zero showiness, a total lack of scale or majesty towards those immortal Douglas Trumbull designs. The iconic monolith never lacked so much grandeur.

However ... if that all sounds like criticism? It kinda isn't. The actual movie, the actual story itself, was quite enjoyable once I consciously decided to simply allow it to exist as its own piece of post Alien, post Star Wars "hard" Sci-Fi. In fact, in some respects it had the feel of a prototypical For All Mankind, that under-appreciated TV show of an alternative past where the Soviets reached the moon first. Here too was an attempt to draw space travel as something exacting, procedural and scientific; both productions engaging with their now historical-but-alternate setting involving a still-active Cold War and joint Soviet & American mission. And if this film had one thing over the Apple TV show, it had fewer Mrs. Robinson subplots - and more dolphins living as housepets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a long time since I've seen 2010 but I recall enjoying it. It's certainly more straightforward and faster moving that 2001, but that's the case with pretty much any other movie. I think it sticks quite closely to Clarke's book, whereas the book of 2001 is much more "explainy" than Kubrick's opaque masterpiece (despite the novel being based on the script rather than the other way around).

2010 is definitely a much more accessible film than 2001, but in some ways its rooting in Cold War specifics feels more dated to me than the now-retro futurism of 2001.

If you're curious what 2010 might have been with more of the first film's styling, there's a fanedit that I really enjoyed called 2010: A Space Epilogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wasn't the novel and screenplay written at the same time, with both Clarke and Kubrick meeting frequently?

I just love how the vision of 2010 includes dolphins sharing your living room like a houseshare. Forget flying cars, where are these in-house pools with dolphins? 🐬

But yes I know what you mean. The overt geopolitical landscape has aged the film - but so too did the FX. I dunno if it was a lack of money, time or talent but 2010's optical effects were sometimes really distractingly poor, compared to the original movie 15+ years older.

But it's funny how with an era of the "legacy sequel" this sequel didn't feel in awe of the original film - doubly amusing given the original in this case was one of the Greatest films ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

St Vincent.

Never got around to watching this when it came out. But checked it out.

Really enjoyed it, terrific performance from Billy Murray and Jaeden Martell (he is cracking in this seems to have a really bright future lots of good project since and more coming up). Melissa McCarthy gets some good laughs. The Naomi Watts character is a bit one note (but funny).

Definitely soppy and with schmaltz, but it worked for me I found it sweet and life affirming. 8/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Titane last night and was honestly surprised by how not shocking it was. The way it was talked about at its time of release made me think it was going to be something else entirely.

That aside, I was mostly underwhelmed by it. Horror/body horror aren't my jam so I'm not an expert on the genre, but it definitely didn't feel like a horror film. And much like her previous film Raw, I was impressed with the style and technical aspects of the film, but the story felt like it was lacking any kind of depth beyond the initial idea, although Raw at least felt like it was just the one idea, whereas Titane felt like there were maybe 3 different better films that could have been made from the ideas/themes it had going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched Candyman (2021) having not seen any of the other films in the series. I didn't really like it. The set-up and the first act were pretty good but after that I found it to be disappointing. The characters didn't act in a way that seemed consistent with what had gone before. Overall, it reminded me of an episode of The X-Files but at least with that you have protagonists that you care about.

Collateral (2004)

20 years later, 60 years old and yet this film remains the only time we've been able to visualise Tom Cruise with grey hair - even if it (presumably) required hair-dye. I gotta say, he looked good; maybe it's time to put the bottle away.

Perhaps Mann's most mainstream entity - at least relative to when he became a director of note? As stories go, it was a very straightforward Elevator Pitch thriller, all elements raised by the director's vision and themes repeated throughout his career, discreetly threaded through the increasing carnage. Not that that simplicity is a criticism, but this was a script that could have existed as a more conventional production from that era without seeming out of place; but as with many things in cinema, the difference was the execution and mood. It was also - I believe? - Mann's first dalliance with digital; something he'd increasingly lean into from here onwards - its zenith arguably the film after this one, the deeply meditative and arresting Miami Vice.

It was one of those films that tapped into the subtle artificiality of "Tom Cruise, Celebrity"; maybe by accident, perhaps it was intentional but Mann really galvanised that sometimes unsettling, almost crocodilian aspect to Cruise's charisma - though I'll be first to admit I may be projecting bias on that front. Either way, Cruise was an arresting villain, and it has been a shame he hasn't played more antagonists. There was a charm to his character that rang hollow, false even; the occasions he seemed to genuinely rouse Jamie Foxx's character from his passivity suddenly punctuated with open hostility. It was manipulative and psychotic - but oddly magnetic, all held together by Cruise's intensity. But Foxx himself was an excellent foil, doing a lot of good work stuck behind the wheel of a car, emanating a certain frustrated vulnerability as the assassin pushed him out of his emotional comfort zone. And to circle back to the notion of a more conventional approach, you could see how a more standard treatment of the script might have leaned further into a "Buddy" structure, added more patter and comedy in the dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The stranger with Sean Harris and Joel edgerton, Australian drama based on a true story, like all movies these days, about a half hour too long but good overall and great performances by the two leads

Advertisement