Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cancelled my prime because of this but I also want to share something that happened this week

I bought something from Amazon for work, 1 delivered to me in Ballinasloe and 1 delivered to a work colleague who lives in Wicklow. 2 separate orders, same exact item. I used the free postage option for both.

I bought mine first, followed by his a few minutes later.

His was delivered yesterday (on a Saturday), mine only dispatched yesterday. Both used An Post as the delivery method (well mine is not here yet, but the tracking shows as An Post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Tockman wrote: »
    They put all Irish orders at back of list, possibly two weeks to dispatch an item before its posted, where as if i order same product to parcel motel in northern Ireland its dispatched within 2 days.

Once its dispatched it takes only 2 days shipping to Ireland so I don't think its an issue with an post.

You are correct , Amazon are delaying not AnPost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Tails142 wrote: »
    I just don't get amazon, stuff I really want not dispatching for weeks and today a tiny bar of chocolate worth 60p arrived on its own in a cardboard envelope. I had added it to a subscribe and save just to unlock 15% discount on other items, crazy that they shipped it separate.

I did the same last month, 6 items I think in total, each shipped individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I have Prime. Just selected an item I need.
    Delivery to England arriving before 10pm today if I order it before midday.
    Delivery to NI 9th June
    Delivery to Ireland 18th June

The last order I placed that arrived within two days to Ireland was at the begining of March.
    The it slipped to 5 days, then 10 to 14 days...

Definitely getting inferior treatment, being as I can get it by 10pm tonight if I send it to an English address.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

I've taken my own advice and emailed jeff@amazon.com for what its worth.

Thinking I'm going to contact amazon separately and cancel Prime anyways.

The prices on Amazon are still very competitive - for stuff that I dont mind waiting a long time I'll still use them I think (or just order from China on slow boat)

However for day to day things I'm going to start ordering from other UK and Ireland sites that deliver in a timely manner.

A recent reply from Jeff to someone contacting him at this email. Proves he does actually read his own emails. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11802026/jeff-bezos-complaint-amazon-black-lives-matter-banner/

Maybe if a few of us email him, it will help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I have Prime. Just selected an item I need.
    Delivery to England arriving before 10pm today if I order it before midday.
    Delivery to NI 9th June
    Delivery to Ireland 18th June

The last order I placed that arrived within two days to Ireland was at the begining of March.
    The it slipped to 5 days, then 10 to 14 days...

Definitely getting inferior treatment, being as I can get it by 10pm tonight if I send it to an English address.

The key thing is the dispatching stage - when ordering the item - then it sits in a pre dispatch stage for a week or more in alot of cases for Irish Deliveries.
    One other thing that strikes me is this :

Amazon touted all along that they were prioritizing essential supplies for people - take something like a blood pressure monitor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-BGMKE-Accurate-Automatic-Monitoring/dp/B085KYGQW6/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1SMJ44I5OTNWR&dchild=1&keywords=diabetic+blood+sugar+monitor&qid=1591528262&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=diabetic%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNzY5Qzc0TkE5MTVMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzYwNjM1MTk4TkZKQjY2TTRSOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTkyNjI0Nk5SSTlXTjNETFpWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Delivery to a UK address => Tomorrow
    Delivery to Northern Ireland => Tuesday
    Delivery to Ireland => 18th of June

Or if you want to look at it another way - someone in the UK can order an inflatable flamingo and have it the next day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Inflatable-Flamingo-142x137x97-cm/dp/B01MR054CS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1XF7P22T1O9ZA&dchild=1&keywords=inflatable+flamingo&qid=1591529049&s=kids&sprefix=inflatable+%2Ctoys%2C192&sr=1-4

Whereas someone in Ireland has to wait a week to get a blood pressure monitor even dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I have asked a few times about this on chat and twitter. Just get the standard sorry your item is delayed.

I understand things are slower in Amazon due to not being able to have as many staff in place but up to 12 day difference between UK, NI & ROI just doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Do you know what makes it even more ridiculous? It is faster to get something shipped to Germany from amazon.co.uk than to Ireland. 8 days faster to Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I was just on to chat and explained pretty much what has been said in this thread. I had ordered a book June 7th and expected delivery date is 18th of June. Then checked with a UK address and it was next day delivery. The person on the chat said they'd pass on my concerns to the relevant team. I thought ohhh great but then the guy said as an apology I would like to refund 3 months of Prime to the card you used to sign up for Prime.

https://imgur.com/a/MM0mH60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I was just on to chat and explained pretty much what has been said in this thread. I had ordered a book June 7th and expected delivery date is 18th of June. Then checked with a UK address and it was next day delivery. The person on the chat said they'd pass on my concerns to the relevant team. I thought ohhh great but then the guy said as an apology I would like to refund 3 months of Prime to the card you used to sign up for Prime.

Lucky you! I tried similar. Got pushed from agent to agent and then a supervisor and he just fobbed me off with "It's due to Amazon only shipping essential items". I mentioned it wasn't but didn't get anywhere....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 AIRMiNet

Personally I think we should be emailing him and referencing this thread.

From what I have seen over the last many years Amazon - when they are aware of a serious Customer issue - work over and above to sort it out.

Mr Doug Gurr
    Chief Executive
    Amazon UK

Email: dgurr@amazon.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

AIRMiNet wrote: »
    Mr Doug Gurr
    Chief Executive
    Amazon UK

Email: dgurr@amazon.com

I'll save that quickly as its the sort of thing that gets deleted.

Will be giving it a try as the return-postage@amazon.co.uk email that online chat gave me for complaints where as useless as the online chat team.

well someone read my email to Jeff anyways - because I got a very nice email from someone called Ian from Amazon.co.uk - unfortunately it didnt answer any of my concerns.

"We want all of our customers to have the convenience of buying anything they want, from any of our websites, and have it delivered quickly. We're committed to making our products and services available to the widest range of customers. Before we start sending a new product category to a location or country, we need to make sure we have the operational infrastructure and transportation services in place to provide the level of service that our customers expect from us.

Please feel free to forward any future comments or suggestions about our website to us. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration by the business team best suited for reviewing your idea.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon."

Must not have explained myself very well ! (although I even gave a link to this thread)

Anyways I sent back an email to that address which bounced (and also Jeffs email again) with my example of how a inflatable flamingo (next day delivery) is more essential to someone in the UK than a blood pressure monitor is to someone in Ireland (Two weeks - mostly in Amazons warehouses).

So hopefully that might be a bit clearer.

Regarding the other email address above (UK Chief Executive) not sure is it a good idea to use. Unlike the US one jeff@amazon.com which is meant to be the last port of call - if the address isnt publically available I wouldnt tend to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got through to chat and the only offer I got was to cancel my prime if I wish. I asked them to pass onto their management that they should be extending our subscriptions for lack of expected service

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got through to chat and the only offer I got was to cancel my prime if I wish. I asked them to pass onto their management that they should be extending our subscriptions for lack of expected service

Did you give examples of orders that take a day to the UK and 11 or more to Ireland that seemed to help for me. You can make an order you want to Ireland then get on to chat and complain and them make another order to a UK address (addresspal if you don't have a UK address) and get the rep to explain the difference. Don't forget to cancel the UK one while still on the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

it really is hit or miss depending on the chat person you get,

i just got onto them again because the replacement boxset of books they sent out (which was re-ordered on the 30th of May) was again faulty,

this time i didn't have an argumentative representative, and unlike the last time never disputed the "fulfilled by Amazon" in fact she was lovely, very quickly offered me a full refund AND to keep the faulty books,

compared to the last time when i was kept on for an hour, being told there was nothing they could do, and in the end barely got a replacement order.

interestingly this time i also got asked to review her after the chat, never get asked that when they argue with you or hang up the chat on you.

now to go glue some pages back into a book...

What would be really nice would be if AnPost offered something similar to Amazon Prime for addresspal.

Flat annual fee for deliveries - and we could pick an choose who we order from.

It seems to me they have really stepped up over the past few months - to get stuff out to people around the country - some of the unsung essential workers.

What would be really nice would be if AnPost offered something similar to Amazon Prime for addresspal.

Flat annual fee for deliveries - and we could pick an choose who we order from.

It seems to me they have really stepped up over the past few months - to get stuff out to people around the country - some of the unsung essential workers.

AnPost staff are totally pissed off (See Facebook) , Nothing but Parcels (Mostly Amazon) packed into Vans , Some guys are going in unpaid on Saturday/Sunday to deliver/sort...

• Subscribers Posts: 40,993 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TimHorton wrote: »
    AnPost staff are totally pissed off (See Facebook) , Nothing but Parcels (Mostly Amazon) packed into Vans , Some guys are going in unpaid on Saturday/Sunday to deliver/sort...

???
    Why would they be doing that...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ???
    Why would they be doing that...

They only get overtime every second week , So to keep the days short on a non overtime week they go in and sort/deliver late evening or weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They only get overtime every second week , So to keep the days short on a non overtime week they go in and sort/deliver late evening or weekend.

I don't believe for a micro second that AnPost workers are working for free .

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I don't believe for a micro second that AnPost workers are working for free .

These guys have schedules they have worked to for years - They are used to being home at a certain time to let spouse out to go to work etc,,,, So to make up time to keep to schedules they are in fact working at other times unpaid....

My rural postman is fine about Amazon parcels keeps him in a job think he said he's been doing more parcels than letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

These guys have schedules they have worked to for years - They are used to being home at a certain time to let spouse out to go to work etc,,,, So to make up time to keep to schedules they are in fact working at other times unpaid....

So, they are choosing to keep cushty schedules by doing their work at other times.

That's not working for free my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Pkiernan wrote: »
    So, they are choosing to keep cushty schedules by doing their work at other times.

That's not working for free my friend.

woah woah woah

dont let facts get in the way of good oul internet outrage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Every single one of the older post workers are gone around my area. Replaced by new people on new contracts I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Just went onto amazon chat there asking why a an item would be delivered in two days to Northern Ireland was going to take 12 days to get to me in Ireland when I have prime
    They said they would refund me my annual subscription as an apology 79gbp (I will believe it when I see it on my card)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just went onto amazon chat there asking why a an item would be delivered in two days to Northern Ireland was going to take 12 days to get to me in Ireland when I have prime
    They said they would refund me my annual subscription as an apology 79gbp (I will believe it when I see it on my card)

I was told the same but they actually cancelled by prime subscription altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I sent an email to Mr Gurr and cc'd Jeff in on it. Give Mr Gurr's email reader a little bit of a pause for thought before he hits the automated reply button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

ElChe32 wrote: »

Just got a refund of 3 months prime off of them to the card that paid it also, i had to ask them for it as initially they were offering a £5 credit, and then a £10 credit and then i just asked straight out for the refund after 3 months of delayed prime deliveries...

i also showed them proof that an order made by my wife's non prime account was delivered the same day as my prime account order, both ordered at the same time, both dispatched from the same fulfilment centre and both to the same address...

Advertisement