Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’m waiting 4 weeks on an item sent by UPS by amazon!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ED E wrote: »
    (I haven't read all pages here, in case already answered)

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post. AMZL(Amazon Logistics) truck everything to AnPost from the DS/FC in the UK. An Post are a proxy delivery station for Amazon here. Amazon has had to scale up hugely internationally to deal with this load ["Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) intends to keep the majority of the 175,000 employees it brought on during the COVID-19 pandemic,"] in FC/DSs. Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

Nope, the majority of the "choke point" IS on amazon's end at the picking stage, though an post are not without blame either as their delivery times have slipped.

Amazon at the moment are taking a week+ to ship prime orders, once they've shipped it's quite easy to follow the truck load of orders from, eg, Saint Helens, Merseyside GB to DMC/Ballymount where they're delivered in about 3 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post. AMZL(Amazon Logistics) truck everything to AnPost from the DS/FC in the UK. An Post are a proxy delivery station for Amazon here. Amazon has had to scale up hugely internationally to deal with this load ["Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) intends to keep the majority of the 175,000 employees it brought on during the COVID-19 pandemic,"] in FC/DSs. Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

AP still operate like a state body, rapid change of this degree was never going to be possible for them. Won't matter, as soon a Amazon get their Dublin DS setup they'll most likely change to AMZL for last mile and AP will be bankrupt in a week (AP only make money on their parcel services).

An Post will raise the price os a stamp to €4 and wonder why no-one uses the post any more. While paying their directors massive wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post.

Pretty much most of my orders look similar to this. I've attached a screenshot of the Amazon tracking.

That was ordered on 6th May.
    Shipped from Swansea on 16th May.
    Arrived at my house on 18th May.

I've checked a few orders. Pretty much once they ship it takes two days to get to the house.

This is a first world problem. I'm old enough to remember when everything used to have a 28 day shipping time :)
    But still, the point of this thread is that they spend a week or two waiting to get shipped when an Irish address is entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I placed an order from Amazon to my address in Ireland on 20th May.

Item A dispatched with an An Post Tracking number on 27th May, delivered on 2nd June.

Item B dispatched on 22nd May via Royal Mail with no tracking 'to give you a quicker service'. Still no sign of it. Customer service were unhelpful and tried to fob me off by claiming I would get a separate email with a tracking number, before admitting there was none. Tried to contact them via chat again and am being told to wait another three days. I don't mind the wait but would have appreciate a tracking number so I could at least see where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AP still operate like a state body, rapid change of this degree was never going to be possible for them. Won't matter, as soon a Amazon get their Dublin DS setup they'll most likely change to AMZL for last mile and AP will be bankrupt in a week (AP only make money on their parcel services).

The choke point actually seems to be Amazon's capacity on the ferries to Dublin. Once ingested to An Post its taking the same amount of time as normal.

Note that the people using the Addresspal route are still using An Post for the last stage delivery once on the Island of Ireland and that's not having any issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

The depot in in Ballymount ( Merrywell ) was shut last year when they opened their new parcel centre beside the DMC .

Merrywell has now reopened and deliveries are also being done directly from the parcel centres

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just use Parcel Motel i use it a lot and never delayed as a matter of fact ordered an item on last Sunday delivered yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

spatchco wrote: »
    just use Parcel Motel i use it a lot and never delayed as a matter of fact ordered an item on last Sunday delivered yesterday

I ordered 2 items to parcel motel last Tuesday and still haven't arrived in parcel motel nearly ten days later. All dispatched on order day

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

And pay an extra €4 per delivery, on top of my prime membership? No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post.

I was pretty sure it is Amazon, they're simply taking weeks to getting around to dispatching items. Do they wait until they have a truck from An Post before they dispatch?

edit: Just to add, the last item we eventually received, last week, was delivered within 2 or 3 days from the dispatch notification. The other item had gone out of stock in the few weeks from when it was ordered to when they bothered processing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Hurrache wrote: »
    I was pretty sure it is Amazon, they're simply taking weeks to getting around to dispatching items. Do they wait until they have a truck from An Post before they dispatch?

I've ordered items from Amazon marketplace sellers that Amazon don't dispatch but the sellers do the items dispatches and they are forever not arriving lately on time,I'm waiting sine may 23 for items dispatched from a Amazon marketplace seller based in northern Ireland including the postage costs.......I paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'll have to go back to it.

Every parcel I get through an post has numerous missed deliveries.
    Which just isn't credible.

edit: Just to add, the last item we eventually received, last week, was delivered within 2 or 3 days from the dispatch notification. The other item had gone out of stock in the few weeks from when it was ordered to when they bothered processing it.

Same happened me. Two items ordered in May went out of stock when it was time to dispatch. Both are rescheduled now for June 16th. It seems we are not only back of the queue in terms of dispatch but also our items are not even reserved when we buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

beauf wrote: »
    I'll have to go back to it.

Every parcel I get through an post has numerous missed deliveries.
    Which just isn't credible.

Have a look at the PM thread over in the couriers forum.......they can be snowed under too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I just don't get amazon, stuff I really want not dispatching for weeks and today a tiny bar of chocolate worth 60p arrived on its own in a cardboard envelope. I had added it to a subscribe and save just to unlock 15% discount on other items, crazy that they shipped it separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

In fairness they used to be pretty good if you were a prime member. The last few items I ordered were pretty much just tat that my daughter wanted. Since the lock down I solely try to use Irish companies where possible, and will continue to do so.

In fairness they used to be pretty good if you were a prime member. The last few items I ordered were pretty much just tat that my daughter wanted. Since the lock down I solely try to use Irish companies were possible, and will continue to do so.

I agree. They were great before the lockdown. If you live in the UK, they are still delivering next day on everything fulfilled by Amazon. The issue is that the dispatch of Irish deliveries is 2 weeks.

I would love to be buying everything from Irish sellers - it simple isn't possible. Most businesses are not set up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Delivery to Ireland is not the problem they're just not dispatching stuff to Ireland for 2 weeks, why is that? If I use address pal I'll get it dispatched immediately for next day delivery. Then about 3 day to arrive in my local post office.
    Did anyone get an answer from Amazon as to why this is their policy now regarding delivery to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Ive completely given up on Amazon anyway. Its become increasingly difficult to even find a product that will ship to Ireland at all. Amazon is always my very last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Car99 wrote: »
    Delivery to Ireland is not the problem they're just not dispatching stuff to Ireland for 2 weeks, why is that? If I use address pal I'll get it dispatched immediately for next day delivery. Then about 3 day to arrive in my local post office.
    Did anyone get an answer from Amazon as to why this is their policy now regarding delivery to Ireland?

I'm just going to go and abuse some poor Amazon rep on chat yet again so I'll see if I get a better answer.

Ordered a strimmer line head for my strimmer this morning (5th) and delivery is set for the 16th. Sat down for lunch and if I order the same item sent to a UK address they will deliver tomorrow.

The chat agent who took ages and said he had to ask a manager says

thanks for waiting so my manager says you did not select express but standard for this order ORDER # 203-#######-######## it is why it is long

So to check I made the order again and the only option is FREE Priority Delivery : get it by Tuesday, Jun. 16

anyway have a new rep now.

OK so three reps later (still same chat) no answer but to get rid of me I got a ten pound credit to my account so small victory but I'd swap that for Amazon not discriminating against Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Had an order disappear at the start of May , now I have another couple of orders that have disappeared . I also ordered some stuff using pm and I had them in less than a week . Spent sometime on the phone with a rep, but didnt really get anywhere .Time to be finding alternatives me thinks .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

GinSoaked wrote: »
    OK so three reps later (still same chat) no answer but to get rid of me I got a ten pound credit to my account so small victory but I'd swap that for Amazon not discriminating against Irish customers.

I was on to customer service chat and they said extended delivery for my item was because what I ordered was not available at my nearest fulfillment center when I pointed out drastically shorter delivery schedule for the same item to a UK address .
    I then said so all my orders and every other irish prime customers orders unluckily have not been available at their nearest fulfillment center for the last 3 months? Basic answer to that was yes that is correct. Have one month free prime membership as an apology. OK .

What's the delivery time to ireland for non prime membership at present is it much worse than prime delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Car99 wrote:
    What's the delivery time to ireland for non prime membership at present is it much worse than prime delivery?

I cancelled my prime membership and it finished yesterday. I had an sd card in my cart for the past few days and the delivery time was 11 days with prime and 11 days without.

Car99 wrote: »
    I was on to customer service chat and they said extended delivery for my item was because what I ordered was not available at my nearest fulfillment center when I pointed out drastically shorter delivery schedule for the same item to a UK address .
    I then said so all my orders and every other irish prime customers orders unluckily have not been available at their nearest fulfillment center for the last 3 months? Basic answer to that was yes that is correct. Have one month free prime membership as an apology. OK .

This is part of the story I've been getting "nearest fulfillment center" as part of the reason. I had a good set to with another string of reps (they drop like flies if they can't answer the question) over another item that wasn't in stock for me because it was not in the nearest fulfillment center.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    This is part of the story I've been getting "nearest fulfillment center" as part of the reason. I had a good set to with another string of reps (they drop like flies if they can't answer the question) over another item that wasn't in stock for me because it was not in the nearest fulfillment center.

Queried with customer service why they are still advertising 2 day delivery for Irish amazon prime customers and was told that delivery means 2 days after the item have dispatched and not after when you placed the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

So - this is something that has been bothering me for a while - but is definitely worse now.

Irish Amazon customers are definitely second class citizens when it comes to Amazon.co.uk. and delivery/shipping times.

Before the Brexit dramas and the Coronavirus, the turn around time for something from amazon in the UK to a republic of Ireland was getting to 2-3 days. Something changed a while back that brought the times up again (around the time of Brexit stuff and now even worse since the Coronavirus)

Nothing ships out to an Irish address in less than a week/2 weeks from what I can see from my orders.

Amazon.de do not appear to have this discriminatory (deliberate or accidental) issue btw - even though logistically it must be much harder to ship to Ireland - I have ordered items from there around the same time as from the UK and got them faster now.

I read on that book "The everything store" - that Jeff Bezos supposidly reads all his emails himself - https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-contact-Amazon-CEO-Jeff-Bezos

Personally I think we should be emailing him and referencing this thread.

From what I have seen over the last many years Amazon - when they are aware of a serious Customer issue - work over and above to sort it out.

I don't accept that this is just due to the Coronavirus btw - for quite a while Amazon customers (Prime and standard) have been getting a service level much less than that of other Amazon customers around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My May subscribe and save order had multiples of the same item dispatched separately from various fulfillment centres across thw UK and Europe. I have another due on Tuesday. One item is dispatched via An Post so far.

I contacted customer services about my missing Royal Mail package yesterday and argued for a full refund, which they eventually agreed to issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I've taken my own advice and emailed jeff@amazon.com for what its worth.

Thinking I'm going to contact amazon separately and cancel Prime anyways.

The prices on Amazon are still very competitive - for stuff that I dont mind waiting a long time I'll still use them I think (or just order from China on slow boat)

However for day to day things I'm going to start ordering from other UK and Ireland sites that deliver in a timely manner.

Advertisement