Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Breathtakingly cold out there. Icy aspirations in the wind's breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Wet and windy here in wexford. Why was I expecting anything different? :confused: :rolleyes:

Rain has stopped for now but still dull and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

A long lingering cold spell with snow on the ground will also reduce peoples movements which will put a serious dent in the spread of C-19. Thats what I am hoping for.

With such a lot of blocking to our north east, its the Siberian High Pressure which is helping/stopping the lows pushing through. Pushing everything in a southerly direction.

Will we see the Siberian High pressure move towards a Scandinavian High Pressure?

Will we see the west based Atlantic High Pressure move north and station itself over Greenland...

With such a blocked Northern Hemisphere I hope to see an Omega Block show up soon in the Models.:eek:

Really hoping we'll get some snow in the next weeks or 2. Surely we deserve it, after this awful year and awful weather over the last 6 months. We'll see how things pan out, even a decent frost would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's rare that the Siberian high moves westward enough, could this be one of the rare years that it does?
    There was GFS charts last week that toyed around with the idea of the Atlantic high migrating northwards and linking with blocking through Scandanavia and Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

It's rare that the Siberian high moves westward enough, could this be one of the rare years that it does?
    There was GFS charts last week that toyed around with the idea of the Atlantic high migrating northwards and linking with blocking through Scandanavia and Russia.

Its that Siberian High which has brought large amounts of Snow to Eastern side of Russia into Japan etc.

Iym3aTL.png

At some stage this winter we are going to get Snowmageddon....from the East, North East, North, North West etc.

The wind here has strengthened and changed direction. Northerly.. anything can happen with a northerly gale... MARK MY WORDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not a very nice day in Cork City. Some showers and there are strong winds around. Cold winds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The 12z are all going for a cold week/10 snow is still up for grabs. But It would be so 2020 for us to have all this potential and end up with cold rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The 12z are all going for a cold week/10 snow is still up for grabs. But It would be so 2020 for us to have all this potential and end up with cold rain

Don’t jinx it

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Gut feeling we are going to get a proper dumping of snow in the new year. Squirrels have been storing abnormal amounts of large nuts where I work compared with other years. Could it be they know what's coming? Just bought a snow shovel and snow socks for the car. Might as well be prepared.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

12z still updating, getting very cold into the first week of January, freezer on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Squirrels have been storing abnormal amounts of large nuts where I work compared with other years.

I see :)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Graces7 wrote: »
    The wind here has strengthened and changed direction. Northerly.. anything can happen with a northerly gale... MARK MY WORDS!

The change is here for sure.. proper winter incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Gut feeling we are going to get a proper dumping of snow in the new year. Squirrels have been storing abnormal amounts of large nuts where I work compared with other years. Could it be they know what's coming? Just bought a snow shovel and snow socks for the car. Might as well be prepared.

On the money with the squirrels...

The dried out trout in the donegal postman's thatch roof also just convulsed it's tail to the north east and mouthed 'As the ancients foretold when jupiter and saturn align, the BFTE, its coming'

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

The ramping curve mirrors the covid curve in here at the minute . Straight up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS updated, a cold first week of January but there is the treat of warmer air moving up from the south or south-east, while at the same time a very bitter wedge of cold air plunges just to our west, wouldn't take much of an adjustment to have this plunge down over us.

Nice sunset this evening, apologies my phone camera isn't great at taking photos in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS updated, a cold first week of January but there is the treat of warmer air moving up from the south or south-east, while at the same time a very bitter wedge of cold air plunges just to our west, wouldn't take much of an adjustment to have this plunge down over us.

I would pay no attention to that warm air trying to move in that to me is just the default setting for GFS trying to bring warm air back in at the end of the runs. Although it could happen I mean I wouldn’t worry about it just yet if you get me :)

• Advertisement

Yes, hopefully that is the case. The problem is if we end up with a blocking high too far west, milder air can then sneak back in over us. Lets hope we don't end up with a west based NAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yes, hopefully that is the case. The problem is if we end up with a blocking high too far west, milder air can then sneak back in over us. Lets hope we don't end up with a west based NAO.

18z GFS shifts the block east a bit, and upgrades the 850hpa temps ... :D

I have half a feeling we are on the cusp of a vintage cold spell, we have a bit to go still though...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

I have half a feeling we are on the cusp of a vintage cold spell, we have a bit to go still though...

I’ve the same feeling. The blocks are falling into place.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Good news!
    It's always a positive sign when you post in the FI Thread:D
    Lets just hope this is the start of a trend.

Bitter bitter cold. Wind song with ice on its breath. ,A five cat day

A nice clear, sunny morning in Wexford. Feel like I haven't seen many of those over the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

beautiful in Dublin 5, clear skies and unbroken sunshine.

crisp and sunny all day here in Meath with some patchy frost still on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Best day we've seen for ages in Limk City. Calm clear & sunny. Great walking weather.

Advertisement