Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too much oil - diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Clareman wrote: »
    .... he mentioned that the dealers told him that his car has excessive oil because of too many short journeys he had been making recently....

I believe Honda have managed to get some of their diesel units to do this too.

Thats progress :p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

A friend of mine just rang me, he's delighted to be sat in an empty office while he's getting something to done with his BMW at a maindealers, he mentioned that the dealers told him that his car has excessive oil because of too many short journeys he had been making recently, the car was serviced about 1,000km ago and they are saying that it'll be 280 to drain the oil, reprogram the car to allow for shorter journeys and refill the oil, that sounds like pulling the piss to me but I said I'd ask.

How would a car add oil to itself just because of about 1,000km of short journeys and what would be the minimum journey for a diesel? Oh yeah, would there be any harm in not draining the excess oil?

You wouldn't be draining excess oil though,it'd diesel contaminated oil. There wouldn't be much lubrication in it.
    Something gives me to remember a software upgrade for that problem.
    I know Ford recalled some for oil dilution software upgrade.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I meant to reply earlier, my friend questioned the dealer on this and rang BMW customer care, the problem is being looked after as a good will gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I meant to reply earlier, my friend questioned the dealer on this and rang BMW customer care, the problem is being looked after as a good will gesture.

How old is the car?
    Was it serviced in the same garage last time?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

How old is the car?
    Was it serviced in the same garage last time?

Its 4 years old I think, just out of warranty but he has a service pack on it for 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Its 4 years old I think, just out of warranty but he has a service pack on it for 5 years

I would BMW people would not like this kinda press.
    Please let us know result...

I would BMW people would not like this kinda press.
    Please let us know result...

The result is they are sorting it for free, I'll ask him to get their offical recommended way of driving as well

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

High oil levels comes through failed DPF regeneration. Basically the DPF is a filter in the exhaust that collects soot and stops it being expelled, this is why you dont see modern diesels puffing out the black stuff anymore. It's also why tail pipes aren't sooty or black.
    Every 400-500 miles the system will try and clear itself by over fuelling and burning off this soot. For this to happen the car needs to see certain requirements such as normal operating temps, continuous engine rpm above say 2k and with some manufacturers maybe a fuel tank level of above half a tank. If this happens on a motorway normally you will never know, there are no lights on the dash to let you know this is happening which for me is a major fail. If its half way through its proceedings and you turn off the car, say pulling in off a motorway to fill up or for a coffee then the process will be haulted, the excess deisel sits on top of the pistons and in turn seeps past the rings and ends up in the sump. This is how the level is rising. With a modern deisel if you are just doing the school or milk and paper run then the conditions needed for a regen are not met the filter doesn't clear, it backs up and this is when you will get a warning light. In extreme cases while pottering about you may notice the engine high idling and you may hear the cooling fans kicking in, this is the car doing it's best to regen and the fans kick in to 1 add a load and 2 cool things off.....a DPF pretty much cooks itself, extremely high temps.

I have not heard of a "shorter drive update" to combat this but that's not to say the boffins in Munich haven't launched one, they could well be all over it since the VW emissions saga.

With a deisel its recommended to bring them out on a motorway and give em the beans for say 20-30 mins in again say 5th gear and above 2.5k rpm, that normally sets the scene for the science to kick in and self maintain.

Your mate, I would suggest a full oil change to get rid of the deisel/oil mix as this is now contaminated and no good for lubrication and a few fun filled blasts every other week on the motorway. Again with the 5k limit and travel restrictions this is difficult.

A mate with a Peugeot 307 recently had to get an inlet manifold, EGR valve and DPF done as he was commuting from Blanch to Bray everyday and was getting a good daily motorway run, then he was instructed to work from home and the car basically couldn't hack the weekly couple of miles to the shop and back. It was basically constipated is how the mechanic put it!

They need exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have no idea why people buy new diesels, should be banned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the dealer re-configuring software for "shorter drives" is possibly they are adjusting the DPF regeneration cycle parameters to kick in more frequently or shorten the duration of the DPF regeneration cycle itself. That would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Long commutes they are ideal

Yawn... The motoring vegans have arrived.

Did it every occur that the owner might have used the car properly before Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

I wouldn't say banned. People need to do their research. We also live in a different world, there are no more high mileage travelling salesmen. The OPs mate like the rest of us, his situation may have changed. Car may have been bulletproof up until the pandemic.

I dont blame the customer, I blame the gob****es who sell them. When you go to buy a car you go in with key points you would like fulfilled, leather seats, boot space, bluetooth, buttons on a steering wheel ect and if they only have a deisel that meets these requirements then obviously that's what they are going to push. They are not going to ask you if you drive 50 miles a year of 50,000 miles a year. If they do get wind that you tootle around at 20mph everywhere they are not going to say: I'm not selling you that because it will be a worthless peice of scrap in 6 months.
    People see them as economical with a high mpg return but they dont know they are now built with the same fragile components as a kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Possibly could be, this is third hand information and 2 of the people involved know nothing about cars, hence they drive BMWs :D

They won't be long learning.. could be worse they could have a 2.2 Mazda 6.

Personally, I've a 55km commute to the office every day, 45km of that is motorway driving, in addition to this I used to be in Dublin at least once a week, a short week for me would have had 550km on the car, a normal week 1,000km but it wouldn't be unusual to do more, an electric car wouldnt suit and I tried petrol for years but my old 1.8l petrol Avensis uses to get about 700km to a tank, my 2l diesel can touch 1,300l on a tank (eco mode, cruise control, couple of runs to Dublin), its a no brainer for me to have a diesel.

Since Covid has kicked in my mileage has plummeted, in fact I'd say that I probably don't need a car anymore but my friends issue with the oil has frightened the **** out of me to be honest so I'll be bringing her out for a spin at the weekend, down to Shannon and up to Gort I think

Personally, I've a 55km commute to the office every day, 45km of that is motorway driving, in addition to this I used to be in Dublin at least once a week, a short week for me would have had 550km on the car, a normal week 1,000km but it wouldn't be unusual to do more, an electric car wouldnt suit and I tried petrol for years but my old 1.8l petrol Avensis uses to get about 700km to a tank, my 2l diesel can touch 1,300l on a tank (eco mode, cruise control, couple of runs to Dublin), its a no brainer for me to have a diesel.

Since Covid has kicked in my mileage has plummeted, in fact I'd say that I probably don't need a car anymore but my friends issue with the oil has frightened the **** out of me to be honest so I'll be bringing her out for a spin at the weekend, down to Shannon and up to Gort I think

Some are more susceptible to diesel in the oil than others, what car are you driving?

I've a 4 series BMW

I've a 4 series BMW

Does it have Adblue?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it was stated that diesel has mixed with the oil in the sump that has raised the level rather than an overfill.
    ..... it's just a theory of a poster.

Yes, someone said that
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Diesel is mixing with the oil in the sump causing the oil level to go above max rather than having excessive oil. It could be DPF related and the short journeys could well be the contributor if the DPF is not completing it's regen.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Does it have Adblue?

Nope, I've managed to avoid that stuff, i dont think I could cope with it to be honest

• Advertisement

Nope, I've managed to avoid that stuff, i dont think I could cope with it to be honest

Wha? It's a blue cap beside the diesel cap, the dash display tells you how much is needed, open cap put in the required amount of litres, close cap job done. There are 2 garages here that have Adblue pumps which makes it very easy to fill.

It's extra complexity to a modern diesel, I was happy enough that my Sorento wasn't adblu equipped tbh. I'm hoping to avoid it going forward also.

Wha? It's a blue cap beside the diesel cap, the dash display tells you how much is needed, open cap put in the required amount of litres, close cap job done. There are 2 garages here that have Adblue pumps which makes it very easy to fill.

So there's loads of garages without pumps, the only extra I want when filling the car is whether I'm getting myself a coffee or not.

So there's loads of garages without pumps, the only extra I want when filling the car is whether I'm getting myself a coffee or not.

If it's not on pump they sell it inside in the shop in a container. If you can put in screen wash you can put in adblue

Augeo wrote: »
    It's extra complexity to a modern diesel, I was happy enough that my Sorento wasn't adblu equipped tbh. I'm hoping to avoid it going forward also.

The adblue is actually making the system more reliable, issues can happen however

kermitpwee wrote: »
    The adblue is actually making the system more reliable, issues can happen however

How does adblu make the system more reliable?
    In my case a Euro6 Sorento without adblu is less reliable than one with it?

Adblue is cheaper than coffee, it isn't difficult to put some in, a tank lasts 10,000km.

kermitpwee wrote: »

Indeed:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058160712

Adblue is cheaper than coffee, it isn't difficult to put some in, a tank lasts 10,000km.

I've a fuel card so the cost isn't the issue, me being a useless lazy bastard is the issue

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    How does adblu make the system more reliable?
    In my case a Euro6 Sorento without adblu is less reliable than one with it?

Sorento and reliability really don't belong in the same sentence, as for being Euro6 compliant I'd take that with a drum of salt never mind a pinch.

Advertisement