Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too much oil - diesel

Options
  • 17-02-2021 3:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine just rang me, he's delighted to be sat in an empty office while he's getting something to done with his BMW at a maindealers, he mentioned that the dealers told him that his car has excessive oil because of too many short journeys he had been making recently, the car was serviced about 1,000km ago and they are saying that it'll be 280 to drain the oil, reprogram the car to allow for shorter journeys and refill the oil, that sounds like pulling the piss to me but I said I'd ask.

How would a car add oil to itself just because of about 1,000km of short journeys and what would be the minimum journey for a diesel? Oh yeah, would there be any harm in not draining the excess oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I can't see how short journeys would lead to excessive oil.
    Excessive water in the oil maybe as you can get condensation in the engine which isn't driven off by the engine getting hot enough, although I thought the solution to that was take it for a good run.
    Maybe would be worth changing the oil and trying to take for some more decent runs.
    But an oil change should be a lot less that 280

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't figure out how more oil could be added when there's no oil being added, it has to be from another source and can't be oil so it's either diesel or water which can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’ll be diesel mixing with the oil.

The reprogramming the car bit sounds suspect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Every day is a school day, I can't say I know much about cars but I never knew that diesel can going into the oil, I always thought they were completely separate systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel is mixing with the oil in the sump causing the oil level to go above max rather than having excessive oil. It could be DPF related and the short journeys could well be the contributor if the DPF is not completing it's regen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’ll be diesel mixing with the oil.

The reprogramming the car bit sounds suspect.

Just a guess on my part but maybe there was a miscommunication and by reprogramming they mean a forced regen

Probably more suitable for a different thread but what would be the minium journey or number of short journeys or whatever for a diesel? I think his car is a 2 litre 5 series.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Just a guess on my part but maybe there was a miscommunication and by reprogramming they mean a forced regen

Possibly could be, this is third hand information and 2 of the people involved know nothing about cars, hence they drive BMWs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Has your friend checked the oil level with dipstick themselves?
    Issue could be as simple as faulty oil level sensor, pretty common issue.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »

I can say with almost 100% certainity that he has not, I would almost be as confident that he has never opened the bonnet of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I was assuming this was a mazda with a major flaw. Something has to be very wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If the car isn't getting up to the correct operating temperature and a regen is required then this most definitely won't be good for the car.

The diesel mixes with the oil and the car tends to go at a slightly higher revs when trying to regen.

Can he bring it out for some longer spins on a motorway even if it's going in circles as such.....one exit and back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Failed DPF regens most likely, diesel seeping down past rings into the oil if it is a system that uses post-injection to heat the DPF up. Once the oil level is high and the light is in, the ECU will prevent any further regen attempts until level is corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am guessing the oil was over filled when serviced.
    There is a gaget that will pull the oil out through the dip-stick.
    I suggest that your friend borrows/buys one of these and remove a litre or so.
    Then top up with same oil to exact mark on stick and monitor for a few weeks.
    Personally i have the engine warm when topping as oil filters down better.

I think it was stated that diesel has mixed with the oil in the sump that has raised the level rather than an overfill.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it was stated that diesel has mixed with the oil in the sump that has raised the level rather than an overfill.

The very fact that it is being serviced in a mail dealer suggests to me that its unlikely as this cannot be old car.
    I have seen what you say happen but never on a car that someone was getting serviced at main BMW dealer.
    I think if the diesel getting to sump on newer car it cost considerably more than €280 to sort...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Diesel mixing with oil to the point it's filling the dipstick beyond max is not good. Should never happen, not to the point it's noticeable.
    Engine oil goes black for a reason, there is of course contamination with the combustion process and trace elements of fuel, but to this extent, that's not cool.
    They never said it was that though, it's just a theory of a poster.

Diesel mixing with oil to the point it's filling the dipstick beyond max is not good. Should never happen, not to the point it's noticeable.
    Engine oil goes black for a reason, there is of course contamination with the combustion process and trace elements of fuel, but to this extent, that's not cool.

It does happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

It's diesel, there is no other option. They don't overfill in main dealers, the oil put in is precise not a guess and top up job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It does happen though.

It does happen, probably happening alot more with the lockdown, I think it is what happened to me, high oil light went 1000km before service was due last time,so serviced a bit early, the fact that the car in the op has only done 1000km since service might indicate that it was overfilled, or else they have a bigger problem.

Yes it was stated but the OP said the BMW main dealer just said excessive oil, i am sure the dealer would know in an instant if oil/diesel mixed.
    I also expect there be loads of flashing lights as i am thinlking this not old car.

Could it be the plugs/points???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes it was stated but the OP said the BMW main dealer just said excessive oil, i am sure the dealer would know in an instant if oil/diesel mixed.
    I also expect there be loads of flashing lights as i am thinlking this not old car.

Could it be the plugs/points???

Plugs and point's on a 520D?

It's definitely in trouble if it has them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Truckermal wrote: »
    Plugs and point's on a 520D?

This place is gone to the dogs, I don't know why people comment when they haven't a clue. I know nothing about farming so I stay away from that forum.
    1000km is easily enough if all short journeys to cause the diesel to mix with the oil.
    I see it regularly on my buddies 2018 focus diesel. He has had to get it serviced twice after less than 2000km since the last service.
    Actually if its not the plugs and points would it be the Carburettor?!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know it id agree about main dealers refilling to exact level. In my experience, they over fill to a safe level 9 times out of 10 possibly to help with the stupidly long intervals

It's definitely in trouble if it has them. :)

I used say that to the young guys when picking the diesel to give them a laugh as they thought i not knoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

This exact issue happened on a friends 2017 (current shape) BMW 520D.

Most people don't realise the downsides of running a diesel - no matter how new or premium; in fact new diesels are much more fragile than old ones. Short runs causes them lots of problems.

If short runs are what he uses the car for, then he should replace it with an Electric Vehicle or something Petrol or Hybrid powered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ongarite wrote: »

Possibly no dipstick. Had a g30 520d on loan that was checked through idrive

• Advertisement

route66 wrote: »
    This exact issue happened on a friends 2017 (current shape) BMW 520D.

Most people don't realise the downsides of running a diesel - no matter how new or premium; in fact new diesels are much more fragile than old ones. Short runs causes them lots of problems.

If short runs are what he uses the car for, then he should replace it with an Electric Vehicle or something Petrol or Hybrid powered

A lot of people who would usually be doing big mileage are now finding themselves working from home. You couldn’t have foreseen that.

Advertisement