Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well, today I finally got to pet Tomtom ( aka Stinkertom)

The "taming" ( for lack of a better word. YOU know) has been surprisingly easy.
    Last week he started following me. And I have chatted gently to him every time I see him. He is watchful with those glorious green eyes.

Three days ago he started " talking " to me!

Then today when I added a raw wingbone to the by then empty dish, I dared! No big deal he said. The same rough short fur as his lad, Tonto . So I stroked him some more.

Smiling here! While I am sure very cat is tameable it has been so swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My dog turns 16 years and 10 months old. He is surprising me with how long he is living for. If he makes it to 11 months(4 weeks time) I will be counting down the days to his 17th Birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My dog turns 16 years and 10 months old. He is surprising me with how long he is living for. If he makes it to 11 months(4 weeks time) I will be counting down the days to his 17th Birthday.

what breed is he? a photo would be nice :)

aonb wrote: »
    what breed is he? a photo would be nice :)

Staffordshire Bull Terrier. He only has one eye as the other got infected and had to be taking out about 11 months ago. These were taking around Christmas. He is not good on his legs that's why they are a bit wonky. Old age is the cause and arthritis.

541833.jpg

541834.jpg

wow no grey - amazing. Hes looking pretty good :) *LOVE* the oldies. Thanks for the lovely photos - long life to him - that must be a pretty good age for a Staffy?

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    wow no grey - amazing. Hes looking pretty good :) *LOVE* the oldies. Thanks for the lovely photos - long life to him - that must be a pretty good age for a Staffy?

Yep, 12-14 is the average living age for that breed.

One of my cats is 16 now. I never had one as old. Boycatl a rescue....Loves his food... and mine!

I have his twin - a young female - hope she lives as long as your lovely boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today is a big day for our 8-month old cockapoo-golden retriever cross Pippa... she's getting spayed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Today is a big day for our 8-month old cockapoo-golden retriever cross Pippa... she's getting spayed!

I just had to click on the photo to see what that looked like!

• Advertisement

Surgery went well. Pippa is back at home but obviously isn't in the best of moods

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

She will be back to herself in the next few days. It’s amazing how quickly they bounce back.

She will be back to herself in the next few days. It’s amazing how quickly they bounce back.

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. She's completely out of sorts at the moment but she has just eaten some food and done a wee so that's good

The anaesthetic might cause some diarrhoea or vomiting if you’ve fed her. My vet always recommends no food till the following day.

The anaesthetic might cause some diarrhoea or vomiting if you’ve fed her. My vet always recommends no food till the following day.

That's what I would have thought myself but our vet recommended that we give her some food this evening.

That's what I would have thought myself but our vet recommended that we give her some food this evening.

Yep food is a good thing. Last thing they want is a empty stomach after having that procedure plus they would be extra hungry as I'm pretty sure you starve them before the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

This little stunner will be picked up from the adoption shelter on Tuesday afternoon. Name to be agreed but he's about 2 and apparently very friendly and sociable. I'm very excited to meet him but the thoughts of having another cat in the house is giving me all the feels and making me miss my yowler all the more. So a happy/sad day for me.
    542349.jpg

Congrats Molly. He's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ahh seeing everyone’s kitties makes me really want to adopt another one but my OH is irrationally afraid of them. I suppose when we eventually move, I’ll get to befriend our neighbours cats as I myself & Esmae have met a few when we’ve been out on site and they all like to come over for a pat or two.

Tomtom now sings to me! Follows me when I go out. Chatters away.

I don't think he has been up island for days. Such a delight watching him blossom from the aggressive underfed moggie he was .

• Advertisement

Newly named Totoro (after the Studio Ghibli movie) is settling in well to his new home. He's a huge cat though, way bigger than either of the other 2. And is so friendly. A very vigorous head bumper too.

Unfortunately our existing extremely skittish cat Sionna is having a lot of problems getting used to him. She's so nervous she won't eat her dinner or even dreamies on the opposite side of the door from him and she's hissed at him a number of times now. At least she's not overly aggressive otherwise though, she's a total scardey cat so just runs away from him and hides. He seems unperturbed. So we're hoping it'll just take some time for her to relax with him. We'll keep at it.
    543207.jpg

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Newly named Totoro (after the Studio Ghibli movie) is settling in well to his new home. He's a huge cat though, way bigger than either of the other 2. And is so friendly. A very vigorous head bumper too.

Unfortunately our existing extremely skittish cat Sionna is having a lot of problems getting used to him. She's so nervous she won't eat her dinner or even dreamies on the opposite side of the door from him and she's hissed at him a number of times now. At least she's not overly aggressive otherwise though, she's a total scardey cat so just runs away from him and hides. He seems unperturbed. So we're hoping it'll just take some time for her to relax with him. We'll keep at it.

Molly; yes it will take time. I have the same issues still with Jacob and Oliver, after a couple or three years! BUT they have learned to live alongside in their own way .

I feed the older ones ie Jacob and Boycat, in a separate room from the newbies as a matter of course. To allow then time and space without food being an issue! Jacob lives to eat!

it is a huge thing for a cat to accept a newcomer in their space. They are so territorial. Today I saw Boycat letting little Selkie groom him ! No pressure.

Thanks Grace, there has been a little bit of defrosting between the 2 cats so it's promising at least. He's taken to chasing her/following her around the house. They've also been witnessed doing the nose to nose greeting so I'm very encouraged by that. The feeding has been a challenge as his tummy was extremely upset by our wet food/dry food. We bought in the food he was on in the shelter and that's sorted him out thankfully. We'll try again to re-introduce the wet food but much much more slowly this time. But he LOVES the wet food so it's been difficult to keep him away from her when she's eating.

We're working it out though and it's been such a joy to have a snuggly cat to get to know. He's a total baby and loves sitting either on my shoulder or in my arms when I'm at the work desk. He's gatecrashed every single meeting I've had over zoom in the last week. My co-workers are very amused by him.
    544862.jpg

It all sounds very very good! Cats are just like us; they are wary of new folk then become buddies. With their own initiation rites.

Beautiful cat!

I had the same trouble re food with my three newbies and had the same solution. Added raw chicken as time went on.

I have just been out sorting a garden bed - or trying to, with Tonto firmly attached to my ankles. purring at top volume .

Such a devoted and happy little cat! Tomtom is learning the same techniques but I am still just a little wary...

They make me smile on the darkest of days.

One of my dogs is going for in a operation tomorrow to get her teeth removed she is 15 years and 4 months old. I'm not sure how many they will remove as they will check them before removal to see which come out and which stay. With her age it can be quite dangerous but she is in pain with them so has to be done. She also has developed a spinal injury in her old age. Her bones have fused to her spine so she walks around with her head down at all times as she cannot lift her head. So she is being through the wars and I hope everything goes well for her tomorrow.

Well a update on this they didn't do any operation in the end as she is at the start of kidney disease and it's too dangerous as they tested her before the operation. She is just on a tonne of tablets for the rest of her life(teeth, spinal problem and kidney disease) and to feed her a high protein diet and also special expensive dog food.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Molly; yes it will take time. I have the same issues still with Jacob and Oliver, after a couple or three years! BUT they have learned to live alongside in their own way .

I feed the older ones ie Jacob and Boycat, in a separate room from the newbies as a matter of course. To allow then time and space without food being an issue! Jacob lives to eat!

it is a huge thing for a cat to accept a newcomer in their space. They are so territorial. Today I saw Boycat letting little Selkie groom him ! No pressure.

re the edited note; I am worried sick about what I said that was so wrong it needed to be edited; would be far wiser and kinder to ask rather than this post be deleted please than this without reference to the author

kept me awak e last night worrying about iy and came back to deleter that post as it had caused offence.

PLEASE delete my original post therefore. I am too ill to cope with this extra worry. I would not dsay anything offensive om thread especially t his one for any reason, Relly upset about this and think I will close down and avoid pets in future.. My weblog is safer. scuse typos. very ill today

Not sure what that's about Grace, i didn't notice anything offensive in your post. I didn't even notice it had been edited. Not sure why it was edited. Maybe PM DBB to check rather than lose sleep about it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It took me a while to realise what you mean here Graces7... but please stop worrying!
    I edited your post simply to fix the quotes in it, so that Mollyb60's post that you quoted became clearly distinct from your own words. Purely a "housekeeping" job to allow the post to read better, and nothing at all for you to worry about :)
    If there was a problem, we'd have let you know! If you (or anyone else) have any concerns about anything like this in future, just drop us a pm, as it has taken me hours to see this due to not being on forum for the day... I'd get a pm far quicker!

Graces7 wrote: »
    re the edited note; I am worried sick about what I said that was so wrong it needed to be edited; would be far wiser and kinder to ask rather than this post be deleted please than this without reference to the author

kept me awak e last night worrying about iy and came back to deleter that post as it had caused offence.

PLEASE delete my original post therefore. I am too ill to cope with this extra worry. I would not dsay anything offensive om thread especially t his one for any reason, Relly upset about this and think I will close down and avoid pets in future.. My weblog is safer. scuse typos. very ill today

Advertisement