Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great post Lia.

Getting my bottom braces fitted today. Have got so used the top ones hoping the bottom won't take too long to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ItsNotWetRain

So im getting my top train tracks fitted Thursday and so my 18 month experience of braces will begin. I had to have two baby canine teeth removed last week as the big ones had come down over the baby ones and two molars removed to make way for the canine. My bite is way off, I know they all have names for different types but don't know what mine is!

Anyway im also getting two TADS (2 small screws in the roof of my month to stop my two back teeth moving forward) This is freaking me out any one have experience with them them????

Anyway some pics of my crappy teeth to keep track of it all!

DSC_0907_zpsd60f4ba8.jpg

DSC_0905_zps02c93502.jpg

DSC_0904_zps7a10ee74.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Hey guys! Got my clear braces on the top yesterday. Had to take a deep breath before I looked in the mirror they handed me. I was pleasantly surprised I have to say. It's the best you can hope for when my teeth need so much work. You cant see them when I talk, just when I smile so maybe ill just be extra angry for the next two years.;)

Bottoms ones going on maybe in about 3 months time tbc.... Serious overbite so it depends how the top are going. Still can't quite believe I will have them for two years but reading people's post the time seems to fly!!:D

No pain yesterday, gums little tender today and teeth feel pretty tight but that has to be putting pressure on the teeth that have to move so no complaints outta me. Felt like I was 5 years old again when I was having a bowl of Ready Brek for my breakfast! Ill live though! Ill get pics up when I figure it all out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 fifififi

Hi,

I'm considering getting train tracks on both arches and seem to be looking at around €4000 with local orthodontist I was referred to by my dentist.

However, a large chain offers the same for around €3000 but they only have orthodontist available on the premises for appointments once a month and they said you would usually see him every 2 months.

I'm just wondering if any one has any experience of this and was it one of these 'impossible to be seen' things or does it work out fine?It sounds like a bit of a factory set up and want to make sure it's done right!!

Thanks!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

fifififi wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering getting train tracks on both arches and seem to be looking at around €4000 with local orthodontist I was referred to by my dentist.

However, a large chain offers the same for around €3000 but they only have orthodontist available on the premises for appointments once a month and they said you would usually see him every 2 months.

I'm just wondering if any one has any experience of this and was it one of these 'impossible to be seen' things or does it work out fine?It sounds like a bit of a factory set up and want to make sure it's done right!!

Thanks!:pac:

Unfortunatly brackets and retainers tend not to break at a convenient time once every two months. Getting treatment with an orthodontist that is more available will give you better service and aftercare. Also less likely of having to switch operator half way through cause they have moved into another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Hey guys! Got my clear braces on the top yesterday. Had to take a deep breath before I looked in the mirror they handed me. I was pleasantly surprised I have to say. It's the best you can hope for when my teeth need so much work. You cant see them when I talk, just when I smile so maybe ill just be extra angry for the next two years.;)

Bottoms ones going on maybe in about 3 months time tbc.... Serious overbite so it depends how the top are going. Still can't quite believe I will have them for two years but reading people's post the time seems to fly!!:D

No pain yesterday, gums little tender today and teeth feel pretty tight but that has to be putting pressure on the teeth that have to move so no complaints outta me. Felt like I was 5 years old again when I was having a bowl of Ready Brek for my breakfast! Ill live though! Ill get pics up when I figure it all out!

Had mine on now for 5 months, not a bother and no one cares I have them. I smile even more now, the time will fly. Good luck.

flutegirl wrote: »
    Had mine on now for 5 months, not a bother and no one cares I have them. I smile even more now, the time will fly. Good luck.

It think a lot of adults feel more self conscious than society about adults with braces. Whenever I see an adult with braces I get a overwhelming sense of "fair play to ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

Im currently saving up to get braces later in the year and right now Im researching different places and the whole braces procedure! (hence, why ive read this whole 14 page thread!) My question is regarding the fees. Say a place has quoted me E4,000 does that include everything?-tightenings, replacing possible snapped elastics, retainers etc.

It think a lot of adults feel more self conscious than society about adults with braces. Whenever I see an adult with braces I get a overwhelming sense of "fair play to ya"

I don't see many adults wearing them but when I do I make a point of asking about them, and saying exactly that! I was VERY conscious of them for about a week, but got over it quick enough when I realised people have their own stuff going on to be looking and wondering about my braces!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

aine_b wrote: »
    Im currently saving up to get braces later in the year and right now Im researching different places and the whole braces procedure! (hence, why ive read this whole 14 page thread!) My question is regarding the fees. Say a place has quoted me E4,000 does that include everything?-tightenings, replacing possible snapped elastics, retainers etc.
    Ya it does. Mine are 4700 and also include follow up visits for 2 years after they come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

aine_b wrote: »

Only thing really would be if you break a retainer and must get a new one..that's all it is in my place anyway!

I did have to pay like 300 quid to get 4 teeth extracted, but that was from my dentist. Also got my teeth cleaned a few times by the hygienist..but that should be done anyway!

Also remember nearly all Orthos do payment plans so you don't have to pay everything at once! I pay €150 per month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Has anyone here went ahead with treatment having been told by the ortho that they are quite a complicated case??
    My ortho has been very clear about the complications involved but believes that he can get a good result when start treatment.
    I could have surgery to correct my prominent lower jaw but I'm not up for surgery. Although if I hadnt just cancelled my health insurance I think I might have considered it.
    I have spacing on my upper teeth and minor crowding on my lower. My bite is bad as well
    Two of my top teeth may have to be added onto as he may not be able to close the gaps fully and he may have to file off a milimetre off a few of my bottom teeth.
    Im just curious if anyone else had a complicated treatment and how they found all the little extras that had to be done and if they could offer me any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭r1_2010

Has anyone here went ahead with treatment having been told by the ortho that they are quite a complicated case??
    My ortho has been very clear about the complications involved but believes that he can get a good result when start treatment.
    I could have surgery to correct my prominent lower jaw but I'm not up for surgery. Although if I hadnt just cancelled my health insurance I think I might have considered it.
    I have spacing on my upper teeth and minor crowding on my lower. My bite is bad as well
    Two of my top teeth may have to be added onto as he may not be able to close the gaps fully and he may have to file off a milimetre off a few of my bottom teeth.
    Im just curious if anyone else had a complicated treatment and how they found all the little extras that had to be done and if they could offer me any advice.

Do it! It's totally worth it. I think it is good to have an orthodonist who is so up front with you about the challenges. But at the end of the day, those challenges are for him to worry about not you. Make sure he is well accredited. Ask you local dentist / dentist GP if he/she could recommend the orthodontist that you are interested in.
    I was told that I was a complicated case. My teeth according to most of my friends were not that 'bad'. The ortho said i have a fairly big overbite to correct which I did but aesthetically it didn't look that bad according to most who knew me. My main concern was pulling my upper eye teeth back in line and fixing bad over crowding.

I spoke to a few people and got opinions. My ortho told me that the best result from both an aesthetic and also a bite correction point of view for me would be with upper extractions (+ possible filing). He said that given that it was complicated he could not guarantee the 100% perfect bite (teeth would be straight though) so may not be the 100% perfect result. But he had hopes that he could get it as close to 100 as he could.
    I'm half way through treatment now and wow... the friends who said my teeth weren't that bad, 'why are you doing this?', they all notice a huge change to my face shape, my improved teeth already and my better confidence. I can promise you that right now I feel that my teeth are 100% better than what they were starting off and I still am not finished yet. Any result will probably be better than what you have when you first start treatment regardless of how complicated your case is. How complicated your case is usually relates to how long your treatment plan will take in most cases. In all cases it's worth it.

I think you should do it. No reservations. It will be one of the best things you
    ever do if it makes you feel more comfortable smiling!

Lol funny people telling you that your teeth are not that bad. Ive had that said to me as well as if it helps lol.

So has the ortho done anything more at this stage of your treatment than just applying the braces or has the extractions etc began?? Like guessing the braces are the simplest part of your case and the extractions etc are the complicated bit?
    But defo encouraging reading how your feeling now half way through fair play.

Im getting them on next Tuesday cant wait to start.

So self conscience of my teeth cannot wait to get them sorted.

Well here are my braces, have them on now a week and a half, its going ok, my tongue was killing me the first 4 or 5 days with the tpa bar i think its called, that goes across the roof of my mouth! Im only starting to get back on proper solid food now as i had 4 teeth pulled a week before my braces and then when i got my braces on it affected my eating too! Its alot better now now nearly back to normal.

Anyway who wants to see some lovely pics of horrible teeth!!

DSC_0923_zps6f4087a9.jpg

DSC_0927_zps1483c15b.jpg

Tpa bar and my lovely extraction site for ye all to see sorry!

DSC_0929_zps5d925c77.jpg

• Advertisement

Fair play to you. Looks like a serious bit of work to be done. What timeframe where you given?

Just got my ones on a hour ago no issues so far lol apart from the fu*king state of them :D

Ill stick up a pic in a bit lol

Lol Jimmer ye head case.

Have mine on the top two weeks today. Grand i have to say! so far so good!!

Amongst other things my second tooth on each side is over lapping my two front teeth. Bad!! Had massive movement after the second day. The two offending teeth were moving backwards into their rightful position until I had a few drinks on saturday and clearly had a serious tooth grinding session in my sleep and undid the good work. They're slowly starting to fix themselves again. This upset me greatly!! I've built a bridge and look forward to my first tightening! Whoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Got mine fitted today (just the upper set), the fitting went fine, noticing a little rubbing on the inside of my mouth, but I got a bracewax rub to put on (I'll do that when I get home from work). The only bummer is that a lot of my favourite foods are verboten :( I guess it'll have a side-effect of improving my diet too :)

I might lash up a photo when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you have a list of forbidden food which you could share with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The ortho basically said to avoid certain categories:
    Hard or fibrous food; peanuts, crisps, crusty bread - even cutting off the crusts of a regular sliced pan, pizza. Apples / carrots should be cut up. Steak best avoided too :(

Sticky things:(toffee, chewing gum) - I normally get through a fair bit of chewing gum; it keeps the auld acid in the teeth down
    Fizzy drinks should be avoided or drunk with a straw (I had been doing this anyway)

Stuff that's better to eat - stews / casseroles / pastas.

It would appear a side-effect of this treatment is I'll have an improved diet :)

• Advertisement

I've been eating 'skips' for my fix like there's no tomorrow!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Got my consultation, very happy with my ortho.. He's really nice.
    Braces are going on april 19th cos i've two wisdom teeth to come out in the meantime!

I'm excited to get them on, the sooner they go on, the sooner I get a better style!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Do you have a list of forbidden food which you could share with us?

Christ what I'd give to have a big bite into an apple :D For me anyways, the 'no go' foods haven't had much of impact (save for the already mentioned...) and there are plenty of ways you'll 'cheat' to eat certain foods.

No names!

Don't worry, I'm not giving names. He just made me feel like I wasn't so ugly, thats all :D

Less than two months to the bad boys go on.. I've 2 more teeth to get extracted and one wee filling before I get them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I just got my top braces on this past Monday. I go back in 8 weeks to have the lower set put on. I'm 32 and I put off getting braces because I had two impacted wisdom teeth that had to be removed first. I kept putting off the surgery but finally had that done in January. I have (had) a rather large gap between my front top teeth. It used to be smaller and a lot more charming, but my top jaw bones were growing apart. My oral surgeon had originally thought it was a cyst causing the gap to grow, but he checked it out and found nothing. Because of the gap, two teeth were pushed out a bit. On the bottom, a slight gap between the front two teeth and one tooth is just a bit lower than the others. The ortho believes that I should be good to go in about 8 months, but they have estimated the entire treatment to take 12 months. They told me that they had previous patients whose gaps closed within a day, and that I shouldn't be surprised if my gap closes within a week. It has been five days and I see a drastic change in its size but I don't think it will close before Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

had mine on (top and bottom) since dec17th, so far no major problems. quite tender at the start. can eat most things now - still avoid apples, crusty rolls etc.
    finding it hard to avoid the sneaky cans of fizzy, and the drunken ciggie - hope no brown stains when they come off!

had one tightning done so far with no issues, booked in for another mid March, im getting a heavier wire???

quick question, does anyones wire (bit connecting the brackets) move at all? not sure if the are ment to be totally rigid or little flexilble, but the other day while removing a bit of rice from between two front teeth (attractive i know) i noticed the wire moved a little when i pushed on it with my nail. right where the wire joins togeher, doest move much. push on the wire in different places and they all seem bit flexible too.

tried googling it, but found all sorts of info and horror stories :)

ps: god bless the bonjea, when ever been out for few drinks nect morning my mouth is usually cut a little from the brace- not sure if its all the drunken chatting or does the mouth become drier (snoring with my mouth open lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of reassurance…having one of those adult braces down days! :(

I’ve had my upper braces on since December 13th 2011 (who’s counting, right?) and the lower ones since mid June 2012. I had mild overcrowding on the top and severe on the bottom, and an overbite. I was told it would be 18-24 months total treatment time. It was a really big decision for me as my teeth had always bothered me but were bothering me more and more as I got older and they got worse (wizzies came down). So I finally decided to take the plunge and didn't regret it once...maybe until today.

Everything seemed to be going well , things were moving a little slowly but getting there and straightening out nicely. They were definitely at the stage where if I’d started from that position then I would never have bothered with braces in the first place and friends were all commenting that they were looking really good. Then at my last tightening my ortho said I was going to have to take a tooth out because the lowers had come too far forward and it would be negligent for her to leave them in that position – apparently it would ultimately lead to vicious rescission and possibly tooth loss when I get older.

I’ve already had one graft (just before the lowers went on, horrific) and the thought of having to do that over and over again was not appealing so I went for it – in any event I didn’t really have a choice as my ortho said she didn’t think any ortho would recommend leaving them the way they were. I had some x rays done which confirmed what she thought. Basically the wire had straightened my teeth but to do so it had pushed my front teeth on the lower arch too far forward. The backs hadn’t moved as much to create space for them so they just flew out. They didn’t look odd to the lay person’s eye but on the x ray you could see they were pretty far out.

So the fact that I would have to get an extraction was the first piece of bad news – the second was that it was going to have to be a front one. Front right lower incisor to be precise. I asked about getting another tooth out further back but was told that if I went further back I would have to take two out, and if I did that then when the lowers came back in then because there was more space to fill they would come much further in and I would have a larger horizontal gap between my uppers and lowers in the end result. I’m going to have a gap anyway (would need jaw surgery to make my bite perfect) but she said with just the one extraction it will still be in the range that only a dentist would notice the gap – any larger and other people might notice.

So….today was the extraction. And I basically look like an extra from a Cotton Eye Joe video. I have quite good lip coverage so I’m hoping I can hide it for the most part until it closes but any eating in public other than in front of people who already love me is basically out of the question until this gap closes!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How long would you usually expect a gap like this to take to close? I have small teeth relatively speaking but the gap feels enormous now. I am wearing elastics across the bottom 24/7 religiously and will continue to do so.

Any and all reassurance/advice very very welcome…photo attached :(

PS I am 28 and do a lot of face to face for work....sigh.

That sounds crap, the teeth being in a state your happy with and now you look like a hill billy ;) Of course the rest of the world wont think so but im sure that doesnt help.

My ortho mentioned an extraction may have to happen, never thought about it until now.

Havent had similar experience so all I can do is offer my support.

Don't worry that gap will close fast enough. Do you have powerchains? I had 4 teeth extracted, 2 of the gaps were that big, and once he put the powerchains on (and springs!) they closed in about 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Don't worry that gap will close fast enough. Do you have powerchains? I had 4 teeth extracted, 2 of the gaps were that big, and once he put the powerchains on (and springs!) they closed in about 4 months.

No mention of powerchains or springs yet...just given blue elastics and told to come back in six weeks!...is that odd?

Have my braces 6 weeks tomorrow, have first wire change on Friday, front teeth are sore the last few days but not too bad, I can't believe the time is going so fast! The TPA bar is a bit of a pain when eating out alright tho everything gets stuck in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Adult braces aren't too bad because they are ultimately temporary. It's the permanent retainer that is annoying because you end up with a lump of metal glued to the back of your teeth for life! I've had mine for 2 years now and I still can't pronounce f sounds very well!

Have mine on 6 weeks today. Got first tightening earlier. I keep waitin for the pain since the day I got them on but nothing so far!! Long may this last.

The movement is unreal. Although i have crazy lookin gaps at the moment but don't care. Be worth it. Delighted.

Have mine on 6 weeks today. Got first tightening earlier. I keep waitin for the pain since the day I got them on but nothing so far!! Long may this last.

The movement is unreal. Although i have crazy lookin gaps at the moment but don't care. Be worth it. Delighted.

Mine have been a breeze so far, worst I've had is chapped lips! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

Adult braces aren't too bad because they are ultimately temporary. It's the permanent retainer that is annoying because you end up with a lump of metal glued to the back of your teeth for life! I've had mine for 2 years now and I still can't pronounce f sounds very well!

Does everyone get one of these bars after getting braces off? I just assumed I wore a retainer at night time!

I just had my 2nd tightening done today (have braces on since dec) to a thicker bar. The previous tightening I felt no discomfort, but can definite feel it today.
    Not pain some much but a constant tugging, getting a headache from it.

Glad I ate the sneaky Burger King on way home before pain started:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Hi guys! Im 27 and finally took the plunge to get braces. Got my top braces put on Friday week ago, so far so good. They are the clear ceramic ones and im getting my bottom metal ones on on the 19th of April. I found the first 7 seven days sore enough to eat anything, only being able to chew food the past three days. Got a couple of comments from work colleagues that wasnt very nice so bit pissed off about that but I dont think they look too bad.
    I just cant wait until everyone who knows me sees them so I can get that first ackward moment when they dont know what to say and end up saying something like " I didnt think your teeth were that bad"!

I know. Can be awkward at first...... And you end up pointing out to people who didn't even notice them....... Then you end up feeling like an eejit!

U won't give a toss in a couple of weeks when you start seeing the movement. Makes it all worthwhile! :)

For the people feeling self-conscious here are a few pics......

nm_nick_cage_090416_ssh.jpg
    Gwen-Stefani1.jpg
    tom_cruise_braces2.jpg
    Lyndsy-Fonseca-1.jpg
    dannyglover.jpg
    Singer-Delta-Goodrem-Amanda-Edwards.jpg

• Advertisement

Well I was eating a sandwich yesterday and one of my brackets broke off. Does this happen often? Was kind of pissed off cause only have them two weeks!

Signed up for mine. Awaiting confirmation of when I get them. Totally nervous as I am getting the full metal braces.

same as myself funky.. mine are going on the 19th... bricking it now.. less than a month to go!

I got my bracket fixed on Friday and he said that it wouldnt have slowed down the progress so im delighted. I only have them two weeks now and the movement is just amazing. Im so glad I got them now. I had my first night out with them and to be honest hardly anyone noticed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Getting my 6 month smile braces on Tuesday. Can't wait to get the treatment started. Sooner they go on the sooner they come off!!

Had train tracks 15 years ago and remember my mouth being in bits after. Not looking forward to the mouth ulcers...or six months without red wine!!

Glad to hear they're working out so well for you Lovbnmoma. Have you been taking pictures of the progress? Must remember to take some before pics or my own.

I now have an overbite LOVING IT :D next visit powerchains go on and the gaps shall start to disappear

• Advertisement

Still waiting for the referral back for them...

Lovbnmoma wrote: »
    I got my bracket fixed on Friday and he said that it wouldnt have slowed down the progress so im delighted. I only have them two weeks now and the movement is just amazing. Im so glad I got them now. I had my first night out with them and to be honest hardly anyone noticed them!

Anything I need to bite into I eat with a knife and fork, even sandwiches! Anything crunchy I break/cut into small pieces, or avoid if I'm gonna run into trouble. Don't want any of those suckers pinging off!

Yeah I have started to eat with knife and fork now for everything too! Learned my lesson although the dentist said that it could be the surface of my teeth, sometimes the cement doesnt stick too well on some teeth so he reckons thats why my bracket came off. He put the bottom on there on Saturday, im in agony with them and also with a massive mouth ulcer right in front of the bottom braces. Dont think I have ever had such a bad one.
    My top teeth have moved so much they look so straight now, I still have to get them tightened for the first time too in two weeks. How is everyone else getting on?

My ortho said today I'll be getting them off at my next appointment :D Was supposed to be getting the top brace off first...but now getting the top and bottom off! Beginning of July. I have an appointment booked to get them off and then getting my retainer fitted later that day! Exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Wow! That's great news. Just had my second adjustment. Are you going to get any sort of whitening done?

• Advertisement
Advertisement