Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get cheap dog food?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Perhaps work out what the food is going to cost per week or month. My reckoning on the grain-free, fish-based food I get my dog is around €65 a month, and I budget for that.
    Amazon has lots of good brands cheaper than you'll get it in your local place; on the other hand, the local place will close down leaving Amazon the only option if everyone reckons on saving those few quid. Then Amazon will raise the price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

D3V!L wrote: »
    Please dont opt for the cheapest stuff. Give this a try - https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/markus_muehle/14524

We went through several off the shelf brands with our dog and settled on this. It was the only one that didn't have fillers, binders and didn't mess with his coat.

We use this too - best quality for the cost I could find after some research and both of our 2 love it. Took a while to get used to giving them the right amount as it seems like a fairly small amount after coming from cheaper nuts, but you'd be overfeeding them with any more than that. Great food in any case. We buy 2 15kg bags and it lasts just under 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Raw as in buying cuts of meats and organs not the minced up bollix I am talking about here.

This chap is a good lad to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL01qaZ66lpIQIZnA3jQVrZg3COfi9BSHg

Yes thanks... I already feed raw. The point is some of it is cheap rubbish the same way some dry food is cheap rubbish... Some is also overpriced the same way some dry food is overpriced.

That Aldi stuff for example looks the same as any other riced based food like Burns or JWB but because it's from Aldi it seems frowned upon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

tk123 wrote: »
    Yes thanks... I already feed raw. The point is some of it is cheap rubbish the same way some dry food is cheap rubbish... Some is also overpriced the same way some dry food is overpriced.

That Aldi stuff for example looks the same as any other riced based food like Burns or JWB but because it's from Aldi it seems frowned upon...

Yes I understand but my point goes back to the poster nody who suggested making sure the dog got nice and "expensive" carbs instead of the so called cheap stuff.

Dogs have zero need for carbohydrates in their diet so how far in the wrong direction have we gone here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

My own experience: I bought the very cheap Lidl and Aldi nuts for my ex-dog for a little while, and then a friend remarked that her coat had lost its gloss and was dry and staring. I hastily changed her to Eukanuba and she regained her glossy form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Anybody care to throw out some brand names, or is that allowed?

2 dogs here, 13 + 16kg, have tried all sorts of food for them and they eat it all for a few days/weeks and then give up.

Had started with the 7 Grain Free stuff at 70eur a 12kg bag, that was fine for months. Changed flavours a few times when they bored of it. Then they more or less stopped eating it.

Then I tried the Gain Grain Free, same result. About 40 a 12kg bag. Then redmills 40eur bag of 12kg stuff. Same.

I don't want to keep changing their food, and have tried the "if they're hungry they'll eat" approach but don't want to see them not eating. They're a healthy weight, have had regular worming, vet is happy out with them.

They were sick a few months back and vet gave them Royal Canin tins of wet food for gastro problems. They loved this, but at 3eur a can, that's 250 a month, which I don't have! Also I think it's prescription only stuff?

I have tried mixing tins of wet food in with nuts, and they love it, but results in diarrhea and mess. Is it something to persevere with, their bowels adapt, or what can I do?

They're only 1 year old. Walked daily, healthy happy fellas, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

We use Engage for our 2 and they seem quiet happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Cheap or expensive Carbs who cares...Dogs can't process them and the commercial pet food are taking the piss by loading up their bags of kibble. Feed Raw.

Dogs can process carbs.

It also depends how much exercise your dog is getting, yes dogs predominantly use fat for energy but if they are very hard-working, then carbs are very useful once they have burned through their fat stores. Obviously the average family pet wouldn't get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haven’t read most of this thread but having fed dozens of dogs on it from terriers to boxers, I always recommend GAIN Maintenance. You can pick up a 20kg bag for about €16.00

muddypaws wrote: »
    Dogs can process carbs.

It also depends how much exercise your dog is getting, yes dogs predominantly use fat for energy but if they are very hard-working, then carbs are very useful once they have burned through their fat stores. Obviously the average family pet wouldn't get to that point.

Carbs do not belong in a dog's diet. Ever. No grains, no potatoes etc

Every Canid on earth is an Carnivore.

To think that a commercial pet food with 20% protein and 50% carb is biological appropriate food once I exercise Fifi enough is ignorant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Every Canid on earth is an absolute Carnivore.

Dogs are omnivores. They didn't evolve alongside human beings eating nothing but meat. https://www.nature.com/articles/nature11837

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Dogs are omnivores. They didn't evolve alongside human beings eating nothing but meat. https://www.nature.com/articles/nature11837

Their digestive system hasn't changed in the time they have "evolved" alongside humans.

They have omnivorous ability which is largely keeping them alive today since Pet food companies are loading up their food with 50%+ carbs, who in turn will also tell you their are omnivores.

Cats are obligate carnivores, whereas dogs are scavenging carnivores.

Look taxonomically, dogs are in the Order Carnivora and the family Canidae along with other carnivorous mammals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EQ6__ftWw

Their digestive system hasn't changed in the time they have "evolved" alongside humans.

They have omnivorous ability which is largely keeping them alive today since Pet food companies are loading up their food with 50%+ carbs, who in turn will also tell you their are omnivores.

Look taxonomically, dogs are in the Order Carnivora and the family Canidae along with other carnivorous mammals.

That study I linked to literally says they evolved and shows comparisons to wolves (and other Canidae) are not accurate

Your youtube link is from someone who sells dog food and supplements so just as you and others have said you can't trust pet food companies when they talk about what a dog needs I think we can take his guidance with a pinch of salt as well. The fact that he's pushing apple cider vinegar on dogs says it all really.

OP - Talk to your vet next time you're in with them. Even if they are pushing a certain brand in their clinic tell them you can't afford it and they will offer alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

We use burns sensitive dry food for our jack Russel been on it years. Fed twice a day. 12 euro bag lasts few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

That study I linked to literally says they evolved and shows comparisons to wolves (and other Canidae) are not accurate

Your youtube link is from someone who sells dog food and supplements so just as you and others have said you can't trust pet food companies when they talk about what a dog needs I think we can take his guidance with a pinch of salt as well. The fact that he's pushing apple cider vinegar on dogs says it all really.

OP - Talk to your vet next time you're in with them. Even if they are pushing a certain brand in their clinic tell them you can't afford it and they will offer alternatives.

To be honest my vet is the Last person I would ask for nutrition advice!!

The Royal canin etc they sell in the vets is crap , poor quality and expensive.. they sell that food for a profit (like every retail establishment which is fine) not for nutritional value! .., most vets are trained nutritionally via workshops sponsored by the likes of royal canin..

cocker5 wrote: »

The Royal canin etc they sell in the vets is crap , poor quality and expensive.. they sell that food for a profit (like every retail establishment which is fine) not for nutritional value! .., most vets are trained nutritionally via workshops sponsored by the likes of royal canin..

Vets don't make profit on the food, the clinic owners do. They learn nutrition at uni and also via CPD, not just from food company reps. And all this still makes them more qualified to discuss pet diets than randomers on a message board.

I've 2 dogs who are very healthy and happy when eating Royal Canin too, though we switched to a cheaper brand a while ago.

That study has been completely de-bunked

For example "They found higher levels in dogs. They admit that the difference in enzyme levels could be due to diet, and once again, the more carbs in the diet the higher the enzyme levels are likely to be. Since wolves eat a low carb diet compared to most dogs, the researchers really did not prove anything conclusively about of starch digestion.

I could go on.

Look by all means continue to feeding carb rich, salty, synthetic vitamins to your dog(s) best of luck

Vets don't make profit on the food, the clinic owners do. They learn nutrition at uni and also via CPD, not just from food company reps. And all this still makes them more qualified to discuss pet diets than randomers on a message board.

I've 2 dogs who are very healthy and happy when eating Royal Canin too, though we switched to a cheaper brand a while ago.

They are eating high carbs, rendered meat for protein and tons of synthetic vitamins.

These pet companies are laughing..

Emm a lot of the times vets own their own clinics.. hence the reason they make the profit!

Anyway over the years with my dog I’ve received better advice from ‘ramdoners’ online with regard to my dogs issues and diet.. he is 14 now, flying around, and in great nick .. which is directly attributed to this advice

no advice except Royal canin and anti inflammatories from my vet .. neither of which I followed

I’m not saying vets aren’t good I’m saying I don’t take their advice when it comes to nutrition and some other bits n pieces ..

Vets are like GP’s in all honesty .. general medicine .. they wouldn’t and couldn’t know everything .. which is fair enough..

that’s why there are nutritionists for humans etc - specialized knowledge ..

Same should be the case for animals.. as in my guy has a heart murmur.. my vet recommended daily medication .. I got a second opinion from a vet / cardiologist he said def not and advised different course of action.. again specialized training for a specific condition! After following his advice over the last 3 years the murmur hasn’t deteriorated.. if I followed my vets advice and gave medication for the last 3 years what side effects would that have had?

Anyway best of luck with ur decision OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've had mine on this for the last 3 years:
    https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/lukullus
    And it suits him very well - we tried a few different food when he was a pup and he tended to get a sick stomach from most of them but the lukullus keeps him fit and well, good digestion, great coat (he's a lhasa apso and he's very hairy :p)

AF4ncAj.jpg

When it's on special it's pretty inexpensive too, and like someone else said, it's free delivery when you buy over 50 euros worth.

Emm a lot of the times vets own their own clinics..

Most don't.
    Vets are like GP’s in all honesty .. general medicine .. they wouldn’t and couldn’t know everything .. which is fair enough..

that’s why there are nutritionists for humans etc - specialized knowledge ..

Same should be the case for animals...

100%, but if you couldn't see a nutritionist you should take your GP's advice over that of people on the internet...same should be the case for animal health.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I think vets get a raw (lol) deal when it comes to recommending food.

How do they know that the person feeding raw has done the necessary research around nutrition and is ensuring that the food is healthy and balanced, and that they're not just throwing Fido some chicken mince every day with no bone or organ content. Without sitting down and going into detail with every client, they can't (and most clients wouldn't want to pay for that consultation). It's much safer for vets to recommend a prepared food which meets basic nutritional needs and which their client can't get wrong.

Cost and convenience also come into it. I don't have the spare time or money to feed my dogs raw right now. I don't think it makes me a bad owner to switch to dry food for now and switch back later, or add some raw where I can.

Most don't.

100%, but if you couldn't see a nutritionist you should take your GP's advice over that of people on the internet...same should be the case for animal health.

just on this no I wouldn't to be honest I do my own research and make my own decision... that's the truth

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I think vets get a raw (lol) deal when it comes to recommending food.

How do they know that the person feeding raw has done the necessary research around nutrition and is ensuring that the food is healthy and balanced, and that they're not just throwing Fido some chicken mince every day with no bone or organ content. Without sitting down and going into detail with every client, they can't (and most clients wouldn't want to pay for that consultation). It's much safer for vets to recommend a prepared food which meets basic nutritional needs and which their client can't get wrong.

Cost and convenience also come into it. I don't have the spare time or money to feed my dogs raw right now. I don't think it makes me a bad owner to switch to dry food for now and switch back later, or add some raw where I can.

I've yet to meet a vet that recommended raw... and while I do feed raw (complete / ready made - just defrost and go ) I know its not for everyone and agreed there is a cost element to it also.

I think the main issue is many vets don't actually recommend decent quality food.. dried / raw / tinned or otherwise.... many vets recommend Royal canin which is not a decent quality food, people can be far higher quality food for cheaper whether in the vets or in the pet store - that's the main issue here to be honest

OP - I buy online because I find it cheaper and it's easier for me to check prices. Amazon and Zooplus are cheap, but Fetch Your Pet Needs is brilliant if you can support Irish.

Guys, I'm going to bow out of anything else because I can't face the confusion of dry v raw v wet v omnivores and carnivores and grain and fish and duck and singular proteins. My head will explode. And also because in the last 10 minutes I've had to persuade 2 separate dogs to give me (a) an apparently tasty dead rat, and (b) an old decomposing cat poo. I think what I actually want them to eat is the least of my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Choc Chip wrote: »
    OP - I buy online because I find it cheaper and it's easier for me to check prices. Amazon and Zooplus are cheap, but Fetch Your Pet Needs is brilliant if you can support Irish.

Oh Fetch has a competition on their NourishRite page to win €250 worth of food... there’s your answer OP enter as many competitions on FB as possible!!! :p

....Cat poo vs rat :eek:

#wholeprey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Oh Fetch has a competition on their NourishRite page to win €250 worth of food... there’s your answer OP enter as many competitions on FB as possible!!! :p

Off topic sort of, was thinking of Baily today as Esmae likes to dig & eat a bit o muck in the park after a particularly raucous bout of frisbee or thrash the ball...I’m going around filling the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Every Canid on earth is an Carnivore.

To think that a commercial pet food with 20% protein and 50% carb is biological appropriate food once I exercise Fifi enough is ignorant

Don't have a dog called Fifi.

Ignorant? No, based on research carried out by vets that study hard working dogs, first hand discussions not YouTube channels by someone with money to make.

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet, which unfortunately is very common when raw feeding is discussed. Passion is great, rudeness and a closed mind such as that displayed on this thread puts people off raw feeding.

For the record, I feed a mix of raw and kibble - shock horror, some of my dogs are even on Royal Canin :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll end on this...

Dry food manufacturers have done an incredible job on both the vets and the general public to convince them all that you are incapable of feeding puppies anything but a magic brown ball of kibble. They literally recommend feeding that magic ball from 4 weeks old to death in many cases. Oh and to make yourself feel good from time to time about your choice for your dog maybe supplement a meal or two with a can of wet food consisting of rendered 2% chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'll end on this...

Dry food manufacturers have done an incredible job on both the vets and the general public to convince them all that you are incapable of feeding puppies anything but a magic brown ball of kibble. They literally recommend feeding that magic ball from 4 weeks old to death in many cases. Oh and to make yourself feel good from time to time about your choice for your dog maybe supplement a meal or two with a can of wet food consisting of rendered 2% chicken.

What would you think of this product (kibble) out of interest?

Product Details
    80% Chicken, Turkey, Duck & Fish - 55% is freshly prepared chicken, turkey & fish
    Hypoallergenic - No added grain, gluten, soya, dairy, beef or pork so suitable for those dogs with grain intolerances/sensitivities
    Added Glucosamine, MSM & Chondroitin Sulphate - To help promote joint repair and mobility
    Added Seaweed & Cranberry - A source of iodine to help support thyroid health, coat condition and cranberry to help promote a healthy urinary tract
    No added artificial colours or preservatives
    Contains salmon - A great source of Omega 3 fatty acids which have been linked with improved cognitive function and inflammatory response
    Composition:

Freshly Prepared Chicken 36%, Dried Chicken 22%, Sweet Potato, Freshly Prepared Turkey 11%, Potato, Freshly Prepared Salmon 4%, Freshly Prepared Pollock 4%, Chicken Stock 1%, Dried Duck 1%, Pea Fibre, Salmon Oil 1%, Dried Egg, Miernals, Vitamins, Linseed, Dried Apple, Dried Carrot, Seaweed, Dried Spinach, Dried Cranberry, Tomato Pomace, Glucosamine 180 mg/kg, Methylsulphonylmethane 180 mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulphate 125 mg/kg, Camomile Powder, Burdock Root Powder, Aniseed & Fenugreek, Peppermint, Marigold, Grapeseed Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dried Dandelion, Dried Bilberry, Ginseng, Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Sage.

Nutritional Additives per kg:

Vitamins: Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) 25,730 IU, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 1,730 IU, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 190 mg; Trace Elements: Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 340 mg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 285 mg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 310 mg, Ferrous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 20 mg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 110 mg, Cupric Chelate Amino Acids Hydrate 50 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 40 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.57 mg, Sodium Selenite 0.51 mg.

Analytical Constituents:

Crude Protein 35%
    Crude Oil & Fats 19%
    Crude Fibres 3%
    Crude Ash 8.5%
    Moisture 8.5%
    NFE 26%
    Metabolisable Energy 347.2 Kcal/100g
    Ca:P 1.4:1.

Advertisement