Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get cheap dog food?

Options
  • 06-05-2019 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm getting a dog in a couple of days. Could someone please tell me where you normally buy food and other things from?

Are the online sites any good or should I just stick to local shops? I have heard that Amazon has some products and I also read about zooplus. How are they? And where do you normally get the cheapest stuff from?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Get a good quality dog biscuit.
    Lots are filled with cereals and preservatives with little meat content.
    I usually get from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Dont get a big dog if you cant afford the food.
    "Cheap stuff" is full of fillers and salt. Better quality often means smaller quantity feed. I buy from Zooplus and I buy once every 3-4 months. You'll find its very good value, if you spend some money and buy in bulk for free delivery.
    Consider what you would spend (time&money) yoyoing back and forth spending minimum amounts on "cheap stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Aayush97 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm getting a dog in a couple of days. Could someone please tell me where you normally buy food and other things from?

Are the online sites any good or should I just stick to local shops? I have heard that Amazon has some products and I also read about zooplus. How are they? And where do you normally get the cheapest stuff from?

Thanks

Zooplus is good / delivery can take some time though so order when you have 2 weeks ish left

In terms of cheap dog food you Kay for what u get here OP - cheap food will lead to all sorts of issues - behavior issues, hyperness, cost / skin issues and other long term health problems

Start off as u mean to go on and purchase a decent quality dog food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Anybody care to throw out some brand names, or is that allowed?

2 dogs here, 13 + 16kg, have tried all sorts of food for them and they eat it all for a few days/weeks and then give up.

Had started with the 7 Grain Free stuff at 70eur a 12kg bag, that was fine for months. Changed flavours a few times when they bored of it. Then they more or less stopped eating it.

Then I tried the Gain Grain Free, same result. About 40 a 12kg bag. Then redmills 40eur bag of 12kg stuff. Same.

I don't want to keep changing their food, and have tried the "if they're hungry they'll eat" approach but don't want to see them not eating. They're a healthy weight, have had regular worming, vet is happy out with them.

They were sick a few months back and vet gave them Royal Canin tins of wet food for gastro problems. They loved this, but at 3eur a can, that's 250 a month, which I don't have! Also I think it's prescription only stuff?

I have tried mixing tins of wet food in with nuts, and they love it, but results in diarrhea and mess. Is it something to persevere with, their bowels adapt, or what can I do?

They're only 1 year old. Walked daily, healthy happy fellas, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aayush97

I'm ready to buy the good quality food. What I was trying to ask was where can I find the lowest prices while I'm looking for it? Might as well save where you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

eubakanuba from Amazon can be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My dogs love Pedigree Jumbones, they cost around 2.49 for a pack of 2 in the shops, sometimes on offer at 2euro

I now buy from Amazon, free delivery with prime, works out around 29euro for 2 boxes (24 packs), amazing price difference

I'm ready to buy the good quality food. What I was trying to ask was where can I find the lowest prices while I'm looking for it? Might as well save where you can.

Ahh ok OP well firstly is ur new dog coming from breeder / recuse center as they may supply with you some food for a week or so.

Can I ask what age is the dog ? Breed? Please this will help with food selection

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I use zooplus monthly. 3 or 4 day delivery and can't find the dog or cat supplies cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Not sure if it’s an option for anyone but I drive up to Newry every few weeks. There’s a pet food store there called Jolleys, the UK prices are much cheaper and they do 95p to the € if you pay in cash.
    They also price match competitors within a 5 mile radius and have a loyalty card with regular savings - 15% off at sign up, last week was £20 off £100 pound spend.

An example a 12KG of Royal Canin Labrador retriever is €70+ in stores in Dublin but £42 up north and then take your better sterling rate and multiple discount offers they have. In other words, I could have bought 3 x 12KG bags last week for approx €110.

• Advertisement

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s an option for anyone but I drive up to Newry every few weeks. There’s a pet food store there called Jolleys, the UK prices are much cheaper and they do 95p to the € if you pay in cash.
    They also price match competitors within a 5 mile radius and have a loyalty card with regular savings - 15% off at sign up, last week was £20 off £100 pound spend.

An example a 12KG of Royal Canin Labrador retriever is €70+ in stores in Dublin but £42 up north and then take your better sterling rate and multiple discount offers they have. In other words, I could have bought 3 x 12KG bags last week for approx €110.

Sorry not trying to be negative etc but Royal canin is pretty crappy dog food at crazy prices .. you can get a far better quality food for cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Please dont opt for the cheapest stuff. Give this a try - https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/markus_muehle/14524

We went through several off the shelf brands with our dog and settled on this. It was the only one that didn't have fillers, binders and didn't mess with his coat.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ahh ok OP well firstly is ur new dog coming from breeder / recuse center as they may supply with you some food for a week or so.

Can I ask what age is the dog ? Breed? Please this will help with food selection

Getting a 3 month old beagle from a breeder. He hasn't mentioned anything about free food.

Getting a 3 month old beagle from a breeder. He hasn't mentioned anything about free food.

They won’t mention it OP but the should give you some when u collect your dog.

Probably a stupid question but is this your first dog or have you had dog before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doc1023

We got a pup last November and she was on Red Mills at the beginning, it wasn't agreeing with her. We switched to Royal Canin but after finding this website and reading up on ingredients etc, she's now on Canagan which she devours
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Probably a stupid question but is this your first dog or have you had dog before?

First. That's why I'm trying to figure out the good places for pet products!

First. That's why I'm trying to figure out the good places for pet products!

As I posted above zooplus.ie is excellent

Reason I ask is ... a beagle isn’t for the faint hearted they are full of energy and mischief not the easiest first dog that’s all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

We used to feed a good quality nut out of a pet shop mixed with cans before.
    Dogs were over fed and fat.lazy with exercise too.
    Changed them to a james well beloved lamb nut only now the past year and the weight fell off them and they are in great form walking.no more sh1te hawking with cans either.
    Get a good quality complete nut op.better for the dog and you.its false economy buying cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Beagles are great fun, full of energy, but usually very good natured.

My wife used to feed her dogs the cheapest auld nonsense when we first met.

Her border collie was, we thought a fussy eater and at one point just point blank refused to eat any more.

We shopped around a few other foods but ended up settling on Burns.

The dogs loved it and correcting their portion size remedied a lot of their health woes.

Cheap dog food is a false economy, they will eat more of it and will just end up unwell.

The internet is full of extremes and there are plenty of people out there who will tell you that if you arent feeding them raw hand caught salmon 3 times a day you should just give them back to where you got them, but the reality is that if you shop around and try them with a few different things you will find something good in the higher-middle part of the market.

As I say, we found burns very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

eldamo wrote: »
    Beagles are great fun, full of energy, but usually very good natured.

My wife used to feed her dogs the cheapest auld nonsense when we first met.

Her border collie was, we thought a fussy eater and at one point just point blank refused to eat any more.

We shopped around a few other foods but ended up settling on Burns.

The dogs loved it and correcting their portion size remedied a lot of their health woes.

Cheap dog food is a false economy, they will eat more of it and will just end up unwell.

The internet is full of extremes and there are plenty of people out there who will tell you that if you arent feeding them raw hand caught salmon 3 times a day you should just give them back to where you got them, but the reality is that if you shop around and try them with a few different things you will find something good in the higher-middle part of the market.

As I say, we found burns very good.
    Hand caught? You should have a bloody own organic growing pond you fool or you'll never know what went into them! And besides Salmon is sooooo 2018 advice; you should feed them on tuna with 1/4 of quail eggs (raised by yourself of course) along with a spoon of boiled kelp water from the Icelandic glaciers to ensure that the water is appropriate to their system. Amateurs...

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Raw or part raw? Is what I fed my 2 dogs and what I still feed my five cats, Raw chicken in the morning then a tin mixed with oats and egg at night... never bored and teeth are great

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

doc1023 wrote: »
    We got a pup last November and she was on Red Mills at the beginning, it wasn't agreeing with her. We switched to Royal Canin but after finding this website and reading up on ingredients etc, she's now on Canagan which she devours
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

That website is run by someone with no formal nutritional qualifications - wouldn't take it as gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hi I would be interested in people's opinion of this from aldi....

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1756/langhams-complete

Any advice on the aldi dog food I posted above?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Acey10 wrote:
    Any advice on the aldi dog food I posted above?

I wouldn't recommend it, average nutrition?

tedpan wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it, average nutrition?

Really, I thought it looked good, all natural ingredients?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Acey10 wrote: »
    Really, I thought it looked good, all natural ingredients?
    It's all natural ingredients in a chocolate bar as well but would you recommend that as your main food on a daily basis? What you want to look at is to ensure it's not mainly filled with cheap carbs (rice, wheat etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Nody wrote:
    It's all natural ingredients in a chocolate bar as well but would you recommend that as your main food on a daily basis? What you want to look at is to ensure it's not mainly filled with cheap carbs (rice, wheat etc.).

Cheap or expensive Carbs who cares...Dogs can't process them and the commercial pet food are taking the piss by loading up their bags of kibble. Feed Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Cheap or expensive Carbs who cares...Dogs can't process them and the commercial pet food are taking the piss by loading up their bags of kibble. Feed Raw.

Well raw is the same these days in some cases. Some of it is crap with more filler fat than meat..some of it is overpriced crap..you have brands paying somebody to promote them the same way vets offices might promote a food they sell. etc etc Then you have randommers selling buckets of mince from god knows where on FB jumping on the bandwagon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

tk123 wrote: »
    Well raw is the same these days in some cases. Some of it is crap with more filler fat than meat..some of it is overpriced crap..you have brands paying somebody to promote them the same way vets offices might promote a food they sell. etc etc Then you have randommers selling buckets of mince from god knows where on FB jumping on the bandwagon...

Raw as in buying cuts of meats and organs not the minced up bollix I am talking about here.

This chap is a good lad to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL01qaZ66lpIQIZnA3jQVrZg3COfi9BSHg

Advertisement