Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

skyheinz wrote: »
    Any idea what we should expect if we have a hotel within Disney and power (they assured us that they don't lose power, have underground power lines and generators).

If we fly in tomorrow and out in 7 days, is it reasonable to expect just a day or two in the hotel room without being able to go out.
    The only reason I would cancel is safety - that is what I am trying to figure out.

Any feedback from those who are familiar with sitting these out?
    Considering the location of Disney (seems I can't post a link as a new user), I don't understand what the storm is currently expected to be like by the time it gets there (if it does).

There are no safety concerns for you if you stay indoors. If it makes a direct hit, there will be discomfort but your on mailland not on an island with no supplies.

With disruption, and I presume children with you, you'll have some stresses so that's your decision if you are happy to manage through that.

I was due to transit through Miami Saturday, for business, but I've re routed as I don't want to be stuck up there for a few days and don't want the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 6 skyheinz

Looking at the latest updates, it would put it at Cat3 @ about 120MPH in advance of Orlando if it hit.

Unfortunately, I'm new and can't post link. If you google "Hurricane Irma: Current forecast track, spaghetti models, satellite" its the result from wtsp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

St Maarten does look like it got well hit.
    https://twitter.com/Bondtehond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

NHC Update from weather channel at 1100 US time, 1600 Irish time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must say I'm watching this one closely as I have family on the western edge of Tampa Bay and they often mention how they felt they were due a big one as they have been luckily bypassed by the damaging hurricanes of the past decade. They do live in a water side house on the inter-coastal near Indian Shores so any sort of hit could devastate their area.

It does look like the track is bearing more to the east of Florida so fingers crossed it will avoid them for the most part, and more importantly de-power in the process so that no part of the state is devastated. Not looking good for Trump's weekend getaway though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It could skirt close to the Florida East coast like Matthew did but it would be unwise to let that make it seem less of a threat, it could still make devastating landfall with a small change in factors determining its path so it's still too early to depend on one forecast path. Each Hurricane is different and the destructive power being unleashed is an enormous threat and having an enormous impact on Caribbean islands along its path.

NHC Update. Hurricane Irma is about 200km East of San Juan, Puerto Rico moving at 26km/h WNW, Minimum Pressure 922mb with max wind speed 295km/h, 185mph. It is a Category five Hurricane. Hurricane force winds out to 85km and tropical storm force winds out to 295km (North East strongest). The storm surge (to the North and near North of the centre) combined with the rainfall will cause dangerous heavy flooding Advisory 30
    Irma is headed to the Virgin islands and close to the North coast of Puerto Rico.
    wv0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

star gazer wrote: »
    It could skirt close to the Florida East coast like Matthew did but it would be unwise to let that make it seem less of a threat, it could still make devastating landfall with a small change in factors determining its path so it's still too early to depend on one forecast path. Each Hurricane is different and the destructive power being unleashed is an enormous threat and having an enormous impact on Caribbean islands along its path.

NHC Update. Hurricane Irma is about 200km East of San Juan, Puerto Rico moving at 26km/h WNW, Minimum Pressure 922mb with max wind speed 295km/h, 185mph. It is a Category five Hurricane. Hurricane force winds out to 85km and tropical storm force winds out to 295km (North East strongest). The storm surge (to the North and near North of the centre) combined with the rainfall will cause dangerous heavy flooding Advisory 30
    Irma is headed to the Virgin islands and close to the North coast of Puerto Rico.
    wv0.gif
    Will it drop to a category two or three before it gets near the US mainland or will it keep the power it has now...surely it will have lost a bit of its sting by then... obviously a cat 2 or 3 still will cause substantial damage if it comes ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

harr wrote:
    Will it drop to a category two or three before it gets near the US mainland or will it keep the power it has now...surely it will have lost a bit of its sting by then... obviously a cat 2 or 3 still will cause substantial damage if it comes ashore.

There are some warm waters along Cuba that will keep it revved up to at least some extent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

NHC has Irma a Category 4 Hurricane as it comes towards the South coast of Florida, it's too early to say for sure and seeing how fast Irma has intensified previously, it is prudent to be ready for intensification over warm water before reaching the Florida coast, even if it were to be weakened along its current path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

harr wrote: »

Unlikely, if it runs straight up into the Florida peninsula I would think it will at best come onshore as a Cat 4, dropping to a 3 and maybe a 2 midways up as it moves North through the peninsula. By the way I'm no weather expert but I'd be expecting the worst and preparing for it.

If dead centered the eye is essential the width of the peninsula so even a Cat 1 would do a lot of damage.

It is massive and there are warm waters each side that will help sustain it in that scenario. Florida is very low so not much to disrupt it until North of I4 (Tampa - Orlando) were you start to get some hills. Its going to take some time to suck the power from it.

Best hope is that it veers east and loses some power as it moves north in the Atlantic and the waters cool a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Live Facebook feed from St. Thomas, VI

https://www.facebook.com/dawn.petersen.98/videos/10212705413443699/

She's back up, just go to her page. Shed is about to go.

Another here St Thomas webcam still working eye is approaching

https://www.earthcam.com/world/virginislands/stthomas/?cam=stthomas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great cam here from Puerto Rico, might be interesting later if it stays working.
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/webcam/puerto-rico/patillas/guardarraya/puerto-rico-patillas.html?format=html&lang=en

BumperD wrote: »
    Another here St Thomas webcam still working eye is approaching

https://www.earthcam.com/world/virginislands/stthomas/?cam=stthomas

Looks like that camera has gone offline now. Power likely gone ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Rougies wrote: »
    Live Facebook feed from St. Thomas, VI

https://www.facebook.com/dawn.petersen.98/videos/10212705413443699/

She's back up, just go to her page. Shed is about to go.

The Shed put up some fight, but sadly gave away!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Anyone going or already out in FLorida some good stuff here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1044602&page=72

• Registered Users Posts: 6 skyheinz

FYI - AerLingus offering free cancellation / rebooking.
    Disney the same right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any webcams currently live in the affected areas?

skyheinz wrote: »
    FYI - AerLingus offering free cancellation / rebooking.
    Disney the same right now.

That seems fair. Anyone deliberately flying into a state of emergency would need to have a good talk with themselves

• Advertisement

Latest GFS and Euro seem to converge on a direct hit on Miami after skirting Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Shed put up some fight, but sadly gave away!
    Sitting down eating my dinner watching a shed fight against a cat 5 hurricane 🙄 Lasted well mind

Live feed from Charlotte Amalie in St.Thomas, very close to the south wall of the Eye, but probably just south of it.

https://www.facebook.com/livemap#@18.29658144,-64.969081804,10z

harr wrote: »
    Sitting down eating my dinner watching a shed fight against a cat 5 hurricane �� Lasted well mind

Some of the comments were hilarious .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The airport in Saint Maarteen looks to be in bits altogether!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I always like to see the damage these storms can do. Harvey was good, lets see can this one do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishgeo wrote: »

That's not from Irma but footage from a previous weather event. If you see the comment on the link it's from a tornado.

Advertisement