Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

At the moment it looks to me that Irma will hit the Leeward Islands, Antigua, Barbuda, St Kitts And Nevis, Anguilla, US and British Virgin Islands, Monserrat, Puerto Rico, Cuba and no doubt many other tiny islands where people will be unable to get into their cars and drive inland.
    RTE not covering Irma, obviously waiting for it to hit the US when it will be a REAL hurricane.

True - it's the same with any world events.

I ask not to be US-centric but because I have family there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Wunderground
    at201711_ensmodel.gif
    Noaa
    054806_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
    Noaa Experimental
    It's unwise to be definitive this far out but some of the models are going a little East and pushing Irma up off the East Florida coast, possibly into the Carolinas, but the NHC track is going from the Southern tip of Florida inland over lake Okeechobee. The average NHC track error at five days is about 225 miles so all Florida should be preparing in case of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭traco

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The cam's down now, but roll back to see the arrival of Irma on St Maarten - frightening:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has this hit Antigua and/or Puerto Rico yet?

Any news of either and how they've survived it?

I have a particular interest in those two locations, hence the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The cam's down now, but roll back to see the arrival of Irma on St Maarten - frightening:eek:

That is petrifying !!! ****ing unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Showing as "this video is unavailable" for me:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Few videos doing the rounds on social media mother of god iv'e never seen anything like that before.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Antigua escaped, it passed north of the island over Barbuda. Antigua would have had Tropical storm winds and high gusts but should be OK.

Barbuda - no info out of there at all yet.

Currently hammering Anguilla, St Martin and Gustavia, all right in the eye so expect severe damage there.

Peurto Rico is still in teh path but not directly, expected to hit tonight US time and 75mph+ winds with lots of rain

Heidi - Reports from the top of the hour, will give you a picture of whats happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hk1KQucCPg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Showing as "this video is unavailable" for me:confused:

This might have been it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I am currently in Orlando, no idea what to do with this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This might have been it

Yeah that's it thanks.

Update after most recent advisory from NHC, no real change. Next full update is 1100 US or 1600 Irish time.

Not sure if these are much help but I'll continue to post for anyone that has family / friends that may be in the region.

https://youtu.be/IplRbrlishw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I am currently in Orlando, no idea what to do with this thing.

Have they not started evacuating tourists yet? Are you a tourist or do you live there. Personally i wouldn't be taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Have they not started evacuating tourists yet? Are you a tourist or do you live there. Personally i wouldn't be taking any chances.

On holiday until next Tuesday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

French reporting major damage on the island off St. Martins, with the four most solid buildings destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41172726

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Stheno wrote: »
    French reporting major damage on the island off St. Martins, with the four most solid buildings destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41172726

My guess would be the airport terminal and hotels around it. Somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Hope everyone evacuated. I was watching the camera last night and there were still people strolling around the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 skyheinz

Any idea what we should expect if we have a hotel within Disney and power (they assured us that they don't lose power, have underground power lines and generators).

If we fly in tomorrow and out in 7 days, is it reasonable to expect just a day or two in the hotel room without being able to go out.
    The only reason I would cancel is safety - that is what I am trying to figure out.

Any feedback from those who are familiar with sitting these out?
    Considering the location of Disney (seems I can't post a link as a new user), I don't understand what the storm is currently expected to be like by the time it gets there (if it does).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Livestream from St. Barth. Surprised camera is still going but looks pretty bad there now:

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

skyheinz wrote: »
    Any idea what we should expect if we have a hotel within Disney and power (they assured us that they don't lose power, have underground power lines and generators).

If we fly in tomorrow and out in 7 days, is it reasonable to expect just a day or two in the hotel room without being able to go out.
    The only reason I would cancel is safety - that is what I am trying to figure out.

Any feedback from those who are familiar with sitting these out?
    Considering the location of Disney (seems I can't post a link as a new user), I don't understand what the storm is currently expected to be like by the time it gets there (if it does).
    Currently have a friend on family holiday in Disney and he was told the same as you, to maybe expect a day or two in his hotel till storm passes and the parks get cleaned up, hotel assured him they would not lose power..his flight home on Monday is another worry.
    He seems to think hotel is taking it very lightly but he says nobody panicking just yet , everyone still going about like normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

harr wrote: »
    Currently have a friend on family holiday in Disney and he was told the same as you, to maybe expect a day or two in his hotel till storm passes and the parks get cleaned up, hotel assured him they would not lose power..his flight home on Monday is another worry.
    He seems to think hotel is taking it very lightly but he says nobody panicking just yet , everyone still going about like normal.

Aye the flight home will likely be a problem, hope he has insurance to cover a few extra nights in a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest WV sat sequence from NOAA:

anilat.gif

New Moon

Straight over Barbuda, St Barts and St Martins/Maartins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Any news from the USVI? Have family there.

Any news from the USVI? Have family there.

It's on its way there, not arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Maho Beach Cam in St Maarten.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RubyK wrote: »
    Maho Beach Cam in St Maarten.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

That cam died a death earlier this morning.
    Have another cam for when this hit Puerto Rico (north side)
    https://www.earthcam.com/usa/puertorico/sanjuan/?cam=sanjuan3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Livestream from St. Barth. Surprised camera is still going but looks pretty bad there now:

Seems to have died around the 240 mark, looks crazy at that point though, I can't even fathom looking out the window where I am now and seeking a sight like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Seems to have died around the 240 mark, looks crazy at that point though, I can't even fathom looking out the window where I am now and seeking a sight like that

That's is some crazy and powerful weather the island must have been flattened ☹️

Advertisement