Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Waiting to pick up my son in the school yard there before the break and i heard a well to do posh voice dad saying "come on Rihanna, we must not keep mummy waiting" :D:D

• Access wrote: »
    Waiting to pick up my son in the school yard there before the break and i heard a well to do posh voice dad saying "come on Rihanna, we must not keep mummy waiting" :D:D

The thing is, Rhianna/Rianna is a real name. I grew up in England and knew several kids with that name back in the early 90's. They all must hate it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The thing is, Rhianna/Rianna is a real name. I grew up in England and knew several kids with that name back in the early 90's. They all must hate it now.

It's common enough in Wales too, Rhianna, Rhianon, Rhianydd etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Caraville wrote: »
    Also, if you name your daughter Sorcha, then it's pronounced "Sur-uh-ka",
    In English, in would be pronounced "Surka"
    not Soorsha or Sohrsha or whatever made up sheeeite you're coming up with.
    Are you confusing it with the different name "Saoirse" (pronounced "Sayr-sha" in English)?

Friend of a friend has a kid called Mia. Nothing wrong with that. Except it's pronounced 'Mye-uh', not 'Mee-uh' and the idiot has the gall to get annoyed with all the people who actually pronounce the name the way it's spelled. .

I think Maya is a common enough name alright. Would have saved the child and herself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Rihanna (Seriously)

My friends neighbour is called Cascada...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

had found out off a support worker [whose husband is african] that people in parts of africa name their child after the day it was born on though they generaly name their children after something important.
    had wondered what do they do if they get a child for each day and have another?:confused:
    ugh,cant imagine been called thursday with dad being from tipp [ie, "turdsday"].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

44leto wrote: »
    All the stupid Gaelic names

ANY of them

A 5 year old in my child's class is named Sadhbh - what a curse. Guaranteed she'll change it to "Sally" or something more pronouncable as soon as she has to deal with people in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Scartbeg wrote: »
    A 5 year old in my child's class is named Sadhbh - what a curse. Guaranteed she'll change it to "Sally" or something more pronouncable as soon as she has to deal with people in the real world.
    or she could change it to Sive (as in the John B Keane play)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Nice one.

If/when I have a kid (who would have to be a boy, considering the name) he will be called naoise (my favourite name from Irish but also doubles for my love of Nietzsche)
    Not necessarily, I know two little girls called Naoise !!

I hate the name Oscar (always reminds me of the grouch in Sesame Street, or an my neighbours old dog who smelled horrible)

Ray D'arcy was onto a woman before Christmas who had 5 kids with bizarre names the youngest was Sahara Saoirse (WTF ???)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I've seen a few Scottish people called Morag. The name is more suited to a cyclops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Spray. Short for Spraynard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

My buds kid is called Summer Rose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I know a man in his 50's called Majella!

have heard a few Christiano's and Keanu's being called round the supermarket.

some pet hates of mine are Myla and Isla(silent "S"),Robyn,Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It beats me how any parents could call their son Ulick.:eek:

It's a singularly uninviting offer that I'd have no trouble refusing.:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Inbox wrote: »
    This , my mate gave his 2 kids Gaelic names and they will be forever spelling their names out and correcting people on their 'pronunciation' .

Especially if little Sadhbh, Tadhg or Medhbh have to emigrate for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Dominicka, Danicka, Chantelle etc.....the kinds of names used most commonly in certain segments of society ( and no I am not a snob and yes I am sure there are respectable people who use the names too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kryzstzsof....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Heard a doctor commenting (off the record) in a maternity hospital that if you were to meet up with the babies named by the Dub inner city/council estates socio economic groups like 'Shanika, Madison, Casey, Tayler, Sha'era, Shania, Shambia,Dylan,Coutney, Leydon, and a lot more worser ones., you will find that many of them end up doomed to a life of what is termed as 'depravation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Tyreek .....yes Tyreek :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I've seen a few Scottish people called Morag. The name is more suited to a cyclops

I knew a Scottish woman called Senga.

Apparently her parents wanted to name her after her Grandmother who was called Agnes, but that sounded old fashioned so they reversed it to Senga instead.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Proudlock.

Any any posh name that sounds "beautiful~" Isabella Mountain Dew Precious Stone Smith is such a beautiful name.

But then again my parents picked my name because it was just nice (yeah nice in the 80s and thats it), and its a bit awkward to say, bit of an AJH name and very American doesn't suit me whatsoever its not Tiffany that would be equally as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

When I was in primary school years ago, there were 3 girls called 'Eibhlis' (pronounced 'Ev-ilish') and they were all fat and ugly.
    There is no way I would name my child Eibhlis.

Jamie: Probably alright when you're a child, but a grown man called Jamie, ffs.

Lorcan, Fuinneog, Sneachta, Una, Diarmuid etc :All pretentious and uppity.

Any names which seem to be taken from American movies such as Max, Brandon, Todd, Brad, Tyreece, Justin etc All shoite names.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Friends of a work colleague named their daughter Alabama. Worse still was that they planned to always call her by her "short" name - Bambi.

came across someone called eamhair
    now as far as i can see, that's pronounced ah-wer/ah-ver
    but no, emer

:confused:

same with caoilfhionn being "keelin" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And how are parents supposed to know which country their children will end up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I think the name "Jamie" is fairly bad. It's a baby name that people give to babies while ignoring the fact that they won't always be babies.

I can't take Jamie Rednapp or Jamie Oliver seriously because they're grown men with baby names.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I know someone who called the son San Diego Tyson and that coupled with a very german family name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Not at all.

My first name is Tadhg, I have spent about 6 years in total living in the U.K. It might be a drag having to spell my name occasionally, but I just go by my initials in work, and my friends learned how to say and spell my name pretty quickly.

Difficulty in spelling is a terrible reason to not give your child an Irish name as long as you like the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Brooklyn.......... but you have to say it in a real 'howaya' accent like his mother did (Broooooooooooooooooklinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, c'mear!!!). Terrible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

Jersey (for a girl)
    As in Jersey Shore. Yep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

There was a fella I worked with and his name was spelled "Aodnis" which is actually pronounced "Anus", when he got old enough, he changed his name by deed poll to....Wait for it............"JOE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    It beats me how any parents could call their son Ulick.:eek:

It's a singularly uninviting offer that I'd have no trouble refusing.:):):)

Ulick McGee!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Ok then, I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »
    came across someone called eamhair
    now as far as i can see, that's pronounced ah-wer/ah-ver
    but no, emer

:confused:

same with caoilfhionn being "keelin" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or Aoibheann being pronounced "Ay-veen" ... never got that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

My brother's wife wanted to call their first child Tarquin (Think that's the spelling!!)
    If my child was called Tarquin I'd dis-own it...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Tristan.
    Good God.

I mean, really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

ROFL. Now, that I could consider. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I once had to call a Ruth Mcgee over the intercom of a supermarket once..
    Doesn't sound too great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I once had to call a Ruth Mcgee over the intercom of a supermarket once..
    Doesn't sound too great..

Sounds fine if you can pronounce Ruth properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

summerskin wrote: »
    Sounds fine if you can pronounce Ruth properly.

If you say so Ruth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I work with a woman named Eithne! :eek:

I also lived down the road from kid (boy) called Munro! :confused:

And just a few weeks ago a girl I know called her baby girl Mackenzie.

Seriously people, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    ROFL. Now, that I could consider. :D:D:D:D

How you doin'? :cool:

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    I work with a woman named Eithne!

What's wrong with Eithne?

Seriously people, cop the **** on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's wrong with Eithne?

Seriously people, cop the **** on.

It sounds like C2H6... :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

funny how all the "stories" of Shakiras and Rhiannas etc all involve women shouting at them in Dublin accents, or are from Ballymun etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Chinasea wrote: »
    Heard a doctor commenting (off the record) in a maternity hospital that if you were to meet up with the babies named by the Dub inner city/council estates socio economic groups like 'Shanika, Madison, Casey, Tayler, Sha'era, Shania, Shambia,Dylan,Coutney, Leydon, and a lot more worser ones., you will find that many of them end up doomed to a life of what is termed as 'depravation'.

so you slag off inner city dubliners for having no class or comprehension of what most perceive as a normal name ,yet the worst use of English i have seen on boards in years is used by you ..... oh the ironing

or it could be a spelling mistake - on a forum that has spell check - tut tut
    mind you i can talk , i once spelt concicending wroning , and the more i tried the worser and worser it get

so if you had the good fortune to meet einstein - homer - marie curie - sebullus or butros butos ghali you would have sniggered at their stupid names

the awful names in your opinion of today will be the ones who cure your ailment in the future

intelligence is not a social thing - opportunity is - you do well to remember that

so for reference what is your award winning name my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Billy the

It sounds like C2H6... :pac:

Eithne sounds like ethane?

• Advertisement
Advertisement