Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You should try the GBA ags-101, GB micro quality screen, only bigger and plays all GB formats, awesome!

Yeah, I would love one of those bad boys! The Micro is pretty damn good for Minish Cap though as its not too demanding on the slightly awkward buttons. I tried out Minish on my regular GBA and its an all round nicer playing game with the superiour buttong layout, and the bigger screen makes the game world look a lot "grander" and larger in scope, but of course it is a pain to see whats going on. The regular SP makes things look very watery to be honest with its front lit screen.... Until I get the back-lit SP my Micro will be my GBA of choice I think.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In an ideal world the original GBA version would be available with the ags-101 screen and rechargeable battery, but it's not to be :(
    The Micro is seriously great but the screen is way way to susceptible to scratches, the material in the screen is way too soft, always destined to be replaceable but that feature never made it here :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Played a bit of Outrun 2006 on PSP last night. The controls are rotten.

I knocked it off within 5 minutes and spent the rest of the evening playing Darius Burst. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No no, the PSP version is great, I never had a problem with the controls at all.
    Sure the nubbin is a pain but I really haven't a complaint about that game on the PSP at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

Playing American McGee's Alice at the moment. Very cool game. Art direction is amazing as anyone who knows the game will tell you. The game world is never boring. I've just gone through the looking glass level with its two colours and chequered sky. It's a solid platformer but could maybe use more depth and freedom, like unlocking new powers and areas soul reaver style. The writing is very good and earns the right to stand beside the source material IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm playing boulder Dash on my Spectrum, forgot how fun that game was, there two games on one tape, boulder dash and Street Fight. Street fighter is shoite though.

Why did you have to mention BD?
    You know what'll happen now?
    It's like mentioning Gunstar Heroes, it illicits an almost immediate response from certain members...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah yes, the grand Cidertroll, sitting there with a Halo over his head. It makes me want to Rage on the Streets. You are no longer Golden in my Eyes. May a Boulder Dash you to pieces!

You know what, I think I Turok that too far. I Dinorex what I was thinking.

In an ideal world the original GBA version would be available with the ags-101 screen and rechargeable battery, but it's not to be :(
    The Micro is seriously great but the screen is way way to susceptible to scratches, the material in the screen is way too soft, always destined to be replaceable but that feature never made it here :(:(

I keep my Micro in the little black pouch it came in. I don't really take it with me anyway. I don't know why but I have no interest in playing games out and about - I play all my handhelds in the house!

I'm still playing away at Minish Cap but its really annoying at times. I'm a Zelda veteran and loved Capcom's work on the GBC Oracle games but Minish Cap, as gorgeous as it is, is fecking frustrating at times. At one stage I was to go to this place on the map - so I went there and could not make progress. I arsed around and asked the Cap for help. He told me to go the Lake Hyrule in the West. I went West and looked everywhere - no lake. Arsed around a bit more. Found the effing lake eventually in the East of the place. And to actually get to the thing required me to go on GameFAQS as I was stuck on the puzzle that allowed access. I actually ended up in the East accidentally as I went wondering. Really really annoying this as I'm halfway through nearly but I'm out of the loop with the game and its gameplay systems and whatnot, and the pathfinding is really dodgy. I'm going to stick with it though and hope things improve. Will be keeping GameFAQS handy though as this otherwise simple game is a pain in the hoop to navigate!
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Played a bit of Outrun 2006 on PSP last night. The controls are rotten.

I knocked it off within 5 minutes and spent the rest of the evening playing Darius Burst. :)

I thought the frame rate was pish-poor in all honesty. I really didn't like the port to the PSP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm playing MSR....

At least that's what I would be saying if my dreamcast wasn't being a scorpy bitch! :mad:

• Advertisement

I'm playing MSR....

At least that's what I would be saying if my dreamcast wasn't being a scorpy bitch! :mad:

I have MSR but haven't played it yet. What's up with your DC?

I ordered Le Mans earlier this week as I heard that a) it's a good game and b) it has a 24hr mode that also works in online mode where, say, you play a game against someone in Australia for example, and it's the middle of the night there or in Ireland and it determines the time of day your game is played at. Or is that just MSR?

I thought the frame rate was pish-poor in all honesty. I really didn't like the port to the PSP.

I sincerely hope you're on about Outrun 2006 and not my beloved Darius Burst! :(

I need to go find my copy of Darius Burst and console it, there there, it's ok, I'll mind ye lil excellent shooting game. :pac:

Nothing, it's doing exactly what it should be, which is not playing backed up cd's! See it's region modded and is currently in Jap mode. It refuses to recognize the region changing disc so I can't switch it back to PAL to play the games :( It's an odd DC. Sometimes it'll play backups, most times it won't.

See it's region modded and is currently in Jap mode.

What kind of region mod do you have on your DC? If it helps at all, I gave mine the full works courtesy of 'The Doc'. He installed the mod chip for me and also gave me the region flash mod with a switch on the back to allow me to switch BIOS. The switch ensures the circuit is broken when you don't need to flash it else you will wreck the console.

With those mods in mind I've had no issues with my Dreamcast although that said I don't have any backups for it. But in terms of playing PAL and NTSC titles, my BIOS is flashed NTSC-J and I've had no issues using different titles from different regions.

Could it be the mod you have in place, or possibly the lens?

I have the exact same mod done , minus the mod chip, by The Doc himself :P

Yours probably runs any region games because of the chip. Same thing in my PS1, it's chipped so will run backups and any region game.

I have the exact same mod done , minus the mod chip, by The Doc himself :P

Yours probably runs any region games because of the chip. Same thing in my PS1, it's chipped so will run backups and any region game.

Ah, there possibly, is the issue. I bought the mod chip from Robert and Console Goods. Might be worth installing that? Can't go wrong with The Doc, he's a legend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

CastleVania Legends on Gameboy... Arrrrrgggghhhh the jumps, the agony of it all. I feel like going on a killing spree to vent after playing it, my poor missus head is wrecked cos I was getting all scorpy aver it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice is to get the reading glasses on and line up the pixels on simons feet before each jump. Either that or start playing the better blemonts revenge :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Played a good bit of Espgaluda II on the candy cab today. Not really played it much to be honest as its not the same without rotating the screen(which is a pain in the arse to do on the Egret 3).

But seems as I paid so much for the complete kit months ago I thought I better at least put a few hours in.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Espgaluda II complete kit.

:eek::eek::eek:

*wibble* *gurgle* *plop* etc...

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek:

*wibble* *gurgle* *plop* etc...

Twas a moment of madness, I'm getting them more and more often these days :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is there a rotate option in the game itself or how to you play it on the cab?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Twas a moment of madness, I'm getting them more and more often these days :D

Seriously though, owning a complete Cave kit is quite an achievement. Firstly because you need the net worth of Qatar just to buy one of them and secondly because they are just absolutely lavish, lovely kits.

You sir, are a top 'chap'. Congratulations on the kit ownership. Oh, and put up some snaps of it I wanna see! :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is there a rotate option in the game itself or how to you play it on the cab?

I think there is an option to rotate the game.
    But I just rotated the egret 3 screen, with some difficulty :)

Fair play to you! I'd say that was a interesting experience.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Fair play to you! I'd say that was a interesting experience.

Interesting is a word for it all right :D

Played a fair bit of the Aliens game on the DS, very good stuff, the animations are wonderful, love to see the side scrolling arcade game re-mastered with these perfect little sprites.
    It's a lovely appetiser ahead of Aliens: Colonial Marine.
    Played an hour of Portal 2 this morning after a long break away, Merchant is now a backstard, brilliant scenes there and I've just been introduced to the springy-est blue gel in christendom, must get some for christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How much was that DS Aliens game and where did you pick it up if you don't mind me asking?

I thought it would be easy enough to find but it's not. Checked HMV and Gamestop in Stephens Green the other day and neither had it.

May just give in and get it on ebay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a lovely appetiser ahead of Aliens: Colonial Marine.

Lets just say, don't get your hopes up.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    How much was that DS Aliens game and where did you pick it up if you don't mind me asking?

I thought it would be easy enough to find but it's not. Checked HMV and Gamestop in Stephens Green the other day and neither had it.

I got mine in the new Gamestop in that kip, Balbriggan.
    They have lots of copies at 35 euro as there are no people with any taste in games living in that far, northern, Co. Dublin hinterland. ;)

Ask the staff in GS to check the stock in other stores, they'll tell you exactly who has it and for how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »

Gamestop seems to be the only place stocking it as far as I can tell and all priced at €35 unless you're me and get a student discount all the time.:)

I got mine in the new Gamestop in that kip, Balbriggan.

I like the Chinese restaurant in Baile Brigin. That one on the corner of the square next door to the bottle shop that sells a fine assortment of bottled ales!

I sincerely hope you're on about Outrun 2006 and not my beloved Darius Burst! :(

I need to go find my copy of Darius Burst and console it, there there, it's ok, I'll mind ye lil excellent shooting game. :pac:

Meant Outrun PSP matey, don't worry ;)

I'm playing Minish Cap still and I have to say it has began to get really really good now. I remember it being great but I just got side-tracked back in the day and I abandoned it. Now that I've gotten back into it again I am really enjoying it. Still, the issues I raised before still stand - some of the sign-posting is terrible - you really need to pay attention at all times or you will get stuck. However, some of the puzzles are incredibly well thought out, and the visuals are of a very high quality. Its a charming game and its as good as anything I've played on a console for a long time.

I've not been playing much else and am buying very little these days games related. I was playing Donkey Konga the other day on the Game Cube and that is excellent fun, only let down by some ****e songs.

Meant Outrun PSP matey, don't worry ;)

Pleased to hear it, I was crushed! Had to cover Darius Burst's awesome little shooting game ears up for a while there!
    I was playing Donkey Konga the other day on the Game Cube and that is excellent fun, only let down by some ****e songs.

I hear it's much better if you play the game in Baile Brigin... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Playing Boulder Dash on my newly hacked Psp:D

No Explosions or electric shocks with this mod:cool:

• Advertisement

When the hell did balbriggan become a meme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Its not a meme its a chithole:D

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't live there but it has a great Chinese Restaurant (if I could ever remember the name of it) and more fine ales than you can belch the alphabet at.

Baile Brigin is a fine town and 2011's newest meme. :D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    electric shocks

arcade-slg3000-v1.jpg

Love you SLG! :pac:

How come you get so many shocks from it?

• Advertisement

Because I'm a clumsy, sausage-fingered oaf. :o

Little Big Adventure just got released on GoG! I've always wanted to play that game.

Because I'm a clumsy, sausage-fingered oaf. :o

Not from Balbriggan are you?
    Just because of the sausage-fingered oaf reference, kinda obvious really....

Not from Balbriggan are you?
    Just because of the sausage-fingered oaf reference, kinda obvious really....

Sadly not. :(

Look at what Balbriggan has to offer though!

5060955607_f84dc82032.jpg

I completed Minish Cap on the ole GB Micro there this evening and..... it was frickin' amazing!

I moaned a bit about it when I first picked it up again, and rightly so. Its not a perfect game, but it is a very well designed video game. I was thinking this evening that it is an Edge-style 10/10 gameplay experience but then I bethought myself thinking of the dodgy signposting. I very much agreed that it wasn't a 10/10 experience when I faced the final boss section.....

I loath difficulty spikes with a passion in games - you playing away, having a great time for yourself and then BANG!! you come up against a section or enemy that stops you in your tracks for ages, threatening to ruin your enjoyment for no good reason whilst messing up the pace of the experience - bah! I don't mind a challenge, in fact I welcome it, but I hate when you are having a good time and then the game decides to p!ss you off. Just as bad is when the game makes you jump through hoops in order to get back to the place where you "died" so you can start again. Unfortunately Minish Cap is guilty of this with its annoying final section.

To cut a long story short, if you die on any part of the end boss section then you have to start right back at the beginning of it - this lack of "checkpointing" isn't found anywhere else in the game really. You then have to mess about collecting health and health-restoring fairies in your bottles in one part of the dungeon and then take the short cut back to the boss section. A bit of a pain doing this after a few times I can tell you that. You really should restart with full health and them useful fairies near to the entrance to the final stretch. Not the end of the world but as I say, its mildly annoying.

What is really irritating though is having to start back at the beginning of the boss section upon biting the bullet. Without spoiling it, you have to make your way past a tricky health sapping 3-on-1 fight with these three heavily armoured knights, then fight the final boss's first form, look at a cut-scene and a load of waffle, then take on his second form, before getting what appears to be the ending.... now these two forms aren't the hardest things in the world to do, but they are tricky enough if you aren't 100% clued up to their patterns. They also take time to do of course - maybe fifteen or twenty minutes for the pair depending on how well you know your sh!t. And they don't drop any health for you to pick up either - ouch! After this, you have to make your way through the dungeon to an area where you are kindly greeted by the true final boss. Before this section, you can top up on health, ammo and fairies, BUT..... if the boss beats you, which is pretty likely until you know how to beat him, then you have to go right back to the beginning of the whole sequence again, arsing about looking for fairies, fighting the three knights, the boss's two forms and listening to all this story crap as well, before making your way around the dungeon to fight the true final boss once again. *Sigh* There really should have been a checkpoint before the third form. Its crazy that there wasn't. When he beat me the first time, I couldn't believe my eyes when I had to start the whole section again from the very beginning :( There should have been checkpoints after the knights, and between each of the forms in my view. I don't mind if the bosses were harder, just don't have me messing around re-fighting bosses I've beaten umpteen times and looking for fairies and whatnot Mr Minish Cap designer fellow. Ta.

The third form is tough, but no tougher than the other two. Its not easy, but what prevents this annoying final stretch of the game from being a game-breaker is the fact that it is do-able. It will annoy you but it doesn't take away too much from what is an incredibly well designed game overall. The dungeon and puzzle design is some of the best in the series' history in my view, the graphics are stunning, the music is genuinely memorable and the amount of secrets and crap to find is vast. The characters are genuinely interesting too. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from the point about one third of the way through where I got going again there last week. I remember enjoying the first part back in the day too.

So Minish Cap is a 9/10 for me. Sorry if this is a bit of a review kind of post, I suppose I feel the need to recommend this game and point out its shortcomings. Its one of the best in the Zelda series in my view, because its so well designed in its puzzles sequences and enemy encounters, plus its production values are through the roof. Its also one of the best GBA games I have ever played. The variety and challenge of the puzzles is spot on, each is different compared to the last, each a joy to work out. No other series has puzzles to match Zelda's, and these here puzzles are some of the best in the series.

The GBA is easily my favourite handheld console of all time - and I love me handhelds :o The format is home to perfect games (in my view) - I believe that Advance Wars 1, Metroid: Zero Mission and Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire (yes you read that right!) are flawless video games that offer the player an unforgettable, hugely enjoyable gameplay experience. Minish Cap is up there, but as it has a few faults its not quite with those masterpieces - however its an unmissable game that really has to be played by anyone who wants to play a console quality video game on a handheld games console.

Effing brilliant!

My only problem with Minish Cap was that it was an absolute cakewalk. Had no trouble with the game and never even came close to dying while playing it. Now Oracle of Seasons and Ages, they were bastard hard zelda games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mario get you next time!
    Just spent last 3 hours on double dash on Gamecube. Memory card got corrupted and lost all the unlockable stuff and can't be having that.
    50cc grand prix cup is effing depressing.
    All for the love of the bullet car.
    Have to say Double Dash wipes the floor with Mario Lart Wii. Hard to believe it's 8 years since I first played it.
    Still gets massive playing time on multiplayer round these yonder parts. Looks and plays lovely with a rgb cable and at 60hz. I'd had no clue what that was back in the day and we always played it at 50hz. Shocking stuff.
    Still hate rainbow road but love Bowser castle.

The cheating AI in 150cc drove me to tears. Always loved double dash multiplayer. Very under rated game at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cheating AI? How so?

It's in all the mario kart games. The catch up is ridiculous. You could be doing a perfect race but if you slip up right at the end of the race then you will lose because the AI will always be right behind you no matter how good you are doing and how bad you are hitting the AI with weapons. It's worse in Mario Kart 64 where you can take ridiculous shortcuts that can cut out 70% of a lap and the AI will still be right behind you in lap 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement