Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll tell you what, it's way better than Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins which was very poor in my opinion and this coming from a big fan of the series. I really don't understand where the good reviews came from. Shane Battenhausen is the only on I've heard with the balls to say it's not great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well I have the two Maximo games and they really do carry the torch for the Ghosts'n Goblins/Ghouls'n Ghosts into the next gen.
    The PSP game isn't bad at all, although very feckin hard, but then so were the originals!
    I played Ghosts'n Goblins first on the Spectrum back in the day, never got past the ice levels!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I my problems with UGn'G is that that level design isn't great at all. My other problem is the respawning bad guys. They are just cheap. I started the game on the hardest setting where like the originals it was two hits and you were dead because I'm a bit good at the Gn'G games. I realised then that the game was meant to be played with a lot more hits because the game is so cheap and frustrating. The originals had respawning bad guys in many levels but it was never more than one or two bad guys at a time. UGn'G spawns loads of them and often spawns them unfairly right on top of you. the old Gn'G games spawned them off the screen or gave you a warning. It'sjust cheap and terrible game design. Even worse are the levels with moving platforms were the game spawns 3 or more very fast moving flying enemies that will knock you off the platform and kill you instantly. It's absolute bull****. I can beat Ghouls n' Ghosts with 1 credit on it's hardest dipswitch settings and have beaten Super Gn'G so it'snot because I'm crap at the game. It's just a badly designed game. I was so disappointed by this game. Instead of making the game hard but fair they just made it artificially tough by adding frustrating elements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wish I could master even one game, I just seem to suck less at some more than others!

But then again, due to the fortunate habit of devs making easier games these days, at least I'm finishing more games, instead of getting stuck on an under water maze (you know who you are!) and wasting 60 quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I my problems with UGn'G is that that level design isn't great at all. My other problem is the respawning bad guys. They are just cheap. I started the game on the hardest setting where like the originals it was two hits and you were dead because I'm a bit good at the Gn'G games. I realised then that the game was meant to be played with a lot more hits because the game is so cheap and frustrating. The originals had respawning bad guys in many levels but it was never more than one or two bad guys at a time. UGn'G spawns loads of them and often spawns them unfairly right on top of you. the old Gn'G games spawned them off the screen or gave you a warning. It'sjust cheap and terrible game design. Even worse are the levels with moving platforms were the game spawns 3 or more very fast moving flying enemies that will knock you off the platform and kill you instantly. It's absolute bull****. I can beat Ghouls n' Ghosts with 1 credit on it's hardest dipswitch settings and have beaten Super Gn'G so it'snot because I'm crap at the game. It's just a badly designed game. I was so disappointed by this game. Instead of making the game hard but fair they just made it artificially tough by adding frustrating elements.

Nice post.

It actually summed up some the gripes i couldn't articulate about the game. Its pace felt odd with the respawns. It didn't feel too hard, just too unfair.

I also thought it had gone a bit OTT in the graphics department. Sometimes felt there was too much going on at the same time. That might just be me though

Well when I mastered Gn'G it was during my school days when I had very few games so got the most out of them. I had the megadrive version which was amazingly close to the coin-op so it was just a case of practicing on that then trying it out on the local arcade. I could also finish Mercs on 1 credit as well because I got practice on the excellent megadrive conversion. Sega really did some brilliant jobs of converting Capcoms games to the MD.

As for games getting easier it is a bit of a blessing although I do relish a good challenge as well. I never finished a C64 games and the first game I finished was probably on the Gameboy or Sonic on the Megadrive. I thought games were impossible to finish except by some super human but I hadn't been exposed to easier japanese games at that stage. I managed to finish everything I owned or got a lend of on the Megadrive, even some stupidly hard games like Probotector with two exceptions, Comix Zone which is just rock hard and Revenge of Shinobi whose final boss I could never beat.

Sega really did some brilliant jobs of converting Capcoms games to the MD.

Should have got them to convert Street Fighter II then!

The megadrive version is pretty damn good though, more frames of animation than the SNES thanks to the MD being more economical with space. The only downside was the music was pap and it all looked washed out and drab thanks to the measly 64 colour limit from a palette of 512.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

MD SF2 played better than SNES, speed was slower on SNES and no 6 button pads. it was an amazing conversion

Feck, gone and offended people on two threads, at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Played a bit of SF2 on the snes last night. Had forgotten how muck Snes controllers are for it. I hate beat em ups and D pads. Arcade sticks or nothing!

(With the one possiblity being the MD/Saturn 6 button pads. Best D pad in existence)

/Edit - Just gave it another go tonight. Hmm. Not as muck as I thought last night. But still no arcade stick/Sega pad.

Also played some Super Double Dragon and Super R-type. Forgot how much a bitch of a game Super R-Type was. Didn't die at all up until level three..then kept getting knocked out towards the end by these little buggers I wouldn't see.

It was switched off in a rage.

I'm starting Mother 3. Already it strikes me as weird considering the tutorial is running into friendly dinosaurs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Might play some of the Getaway in a while, also resumed playing Pokémon yellow. I'm levelling up before the 1337 4 ;)

I really want to play Mother 3, it's the next handheld game I play once I get through Pokemon. I adored Earthbound and earthbound zero was an interesting if flawed game.

I really want to play Mother 3, it's the next handheld game I play once I get through Pokemon. I adored Earthbound and earthbound zero was an interesting if flawed game.

I haven't played Earthbound. I just dove into Mother 3.

I'm playing the patched version through a GBA emulator on wii which seems to emulate the Gameboy player for gamecube. It looks really nice even on a TV screen.

interesting...

Another way to get that on TV Mother.Earthbound fix is to have the Homebrew Channel up and running on your Wii.
    With that you can get a very nice Snes and GBA emu for it, play the Mother series on the big screen, with some pretty decent upscaling to boot.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Another way to get that on TV Mother.Earthbound fix is to have the Homebrew Channel up and running on your Wii.
    With that you can get a very nice Snes and GBA emu for it, play the Mother series on the big screen, with some pretty decent upscaling to boot.

I'm running VBA GX for GB/GBC/GBA and SNES9X GX for Snes. Both run very smooth and without issues.

Infact they even support using shared network drives for roms/saves and can auto-update themselves like firefox does.

Oh don't worry I've got the HBC on my wii, makes a great emulation machine and playing emulated games in 480p is awesome, just never thought to use a GBA emulator.

Really want to play Mother 3 because I've heard that despite it's silliness it's also one of the saddest and well written games ever.

• Advertisement

Really want to play Mother 3 because I've heard that despite it's silliness it's also one of the saddest and well written games ever.

Its silliness is great. Has a real Nintendo feel to it.

Got to love fighting Mr Batty mobs for the first time and hearing the theme tune.

Mr._Batty.png

Master of the Universe

I had planned on starting a Super Mario World save tonight. Cart battery needed changing first though. Damn old one wouldn't come out! Needs to be attacked with a soldering iron. There's my plans ruined for the night.

I have a floppy drive and disks ordered from ebay. Once they arrive I'll be playing through Earthbound for the first time. Can't wait!

Why do you need a floppy drive and disks to play Earthbound?

I don't understand.

Just "downloaded" the complete series online, will pop them into the Wii emulators to give them a lash at some point, they better be good!

Why do you need a floppy drive and disks to play Earthbound?

I don't understand.

Just "downloaded" the complete series online, will pop them into the Wii emulators to give them a lash at some point, they better be good!

He has some cart backup device for the snes.

Mother 3 is not 100% on emulators it seems. The timing is out for the rhyme combos so it makes the game harder and needs more grinding. If you have a GBA Flash cart, stick to it.

Master of the Universe

You can use floppy disks in the Snes. Did you not know that?

Nah, as Gummy said, I got that Wild Card and Famicom from the guy that was selling them here. It has really reignited my interest in the Snes.

Putting games on old tech like floppies and putting them into a Snes almost feels like putting a cart in.

Gummy Panda - Would playing Mother 3 spoil Earthbound? Or is it only a losely based sequel?

I'll have my GBA flash card up and running this week and I wouldn't mind having a good game to play on the way to work.

\edit - Oh, you haven't played Earthbound.
    And retr0 hasn't played Mother 3.

To google!

My god, there is a old, nintendo based, japanese, NTSC, role playing game that Retro hasn't played!!!!

Isn't that one of the conditions for the start of the apocalypse?

Quick, grab all the canned food, bottled water and classic consoles and make for the shelters! (or the churches, each to his/her own)

• Advertisement

My god, there is a old, nintendo based, japanese, NTSC, role playing game that Retro hasn't played!!!!

Isn't that one of the conditions for the start of the apocalypse?

Quick, grab all the canned food, bottled water and classic consoles and make for the shelters! (or the churches, each to his/her own)

Yeah and the translation patch has been out a year... :eek:

He was probably too busy playing Halo 3 and reading Edge!

I think I need to look into get a GBA Flash cart for Mother 3. Pity I haven't got a clue about them.

Nintendo just release the game in the west on DS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Whoops wrong place :o Ignore

Master of the Universe

Buy one of these - (Dealextreme had them for 24 dollars up until last month. The page is gone now though :confused:)

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ez-flash-iv-mini-ez-cart-slot-2-sd-multimedia-flash-cart-for-gba-sp-nds

Download the tool for it -

http://www.ezflash.cn/software.htm

Use the tool to write some games to a mini SD card (Not micro sd..mini sd! I didn't know the difference until I got mine in the post and had no cards for it)

And away you go!

• Advertisement

Dealextreme have this

Is it the same thing?

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately not. That's a slot 1 & 2 device for the DS.

Deal extreme don't really have any GBA stuff left really. There's one card there for super cheap. I bought it for my GBA about two months ago but couldn't get it to work. It connects via a serial port. My old pc just wouldnt detect it.

So I bought one of the other one that I linked you to as you just have to put stuff on an SD card. No detecting hardware needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

After playing a ton of NSMBWii I gave Mario 1 a go for a while today, man that thing is tough, skipped all the warps and only made it to 2-4 and then it was back to the start:(. Not a lot of 1ups to be had either, respect to anyone who has done a number on that one.

Master of the Universe

You forget how hard the originals were don't you?

I played a bit of Super Mario World tonight. Have to say, there were some bits even in the first 15 or so levels that I had to repeat several times.

My younger self would be in fits of laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

been playing some r type and mario kart super circuit tonight, r type ftw

Master of the Universe

Super R Type is one of the games going with my Snes..

Cough cough cough.

:D

It's an absolute bitch of a game though. Great feeling of accomplishment when you actually finish a level.

Horrible feeling of frustration and anger when you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ya and i want it too :D, only thing stopping me making you an offer is the laziness of sorting out my dreamcast stuff.

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    ya and i want it too :D, only thing stopping me making you an offer is the laziness of sorting out my dreamcast stuff.

Do it! Do it nao!

Diddy! DIDDY MAO! MAO! MAO!

/whip

Super R-type is a horrible game. They absolutely ruined it by taking the mid level checkpoints out. Instead of being a challenge it's pure frustration. I'll be sticking with the better R-type 2.

Master of the Universe

Super R-type is a horrible game. They absolutely ruined it by taking the mid level checkpoints out. Instead of being a challenge it's pure frustration. I'll be sticking with the better R-type 2.

Oh god, not this again :P

It's frustrating, in a bounce your controller off the wall way, but it's still a good game. And as I said before, if anything, it just increases the satisfaction when you actually get passed a level!

• Advertisement

It's still not a patch on R-type 2.

Master of the Universe

Today has been a good day. I got a USB floppy drive and now have 20 floppy disks loaded with snes games.

I also managed to get my GBA micro up and running with a 2gb sd card.

Only question now..which game do I play first?!

I'm thinking Phalanx and Gradius 3. Maybe some Axelay too.

Shooter day!!

But Metroid Fusion is also calling. Hey, retr0! Is Fusion any good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do it! Do it nao!

Diddy! DIDDY MAO! MAO! MAO!

/whip

Your looking for a DC aswell??

I has one here, keyboard, vmu, pad, rumble accessory, VGA adapter, link cables, multitap etc. ;)

Master of the Universe

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Your looking for a DC aswell??

I has one here, keyboard, vmu, pad, rumble accessory, VGA adapter, link cables, multitap etc. ;)

LOL

Did you buy up a liquidated games shop or something? You really should hang onto your consoles man. I know Macbooks are exciting..but you may regret it later!

I'm meant to be swapping a Snes for Weeder's Dreamcast. If he changes his mind I'll get back to you about your one ;)

On the topic of shooters, I just remembered I'd bought Rez and forgotten about it.

Just after giving it a go. Christ, that is one amazing game. I sat there in a trance for about half an hour. Had to turn it off before I woke up and the day was gone. I can only imagine it being enhanced by ..er.. substances.

But Metroid Fusion is also calling. Hey, retr0! Is Fusion any good?

I really liked Fusion, it gets a bad rep but it's because it doesn't come close to Super Metroid. Still a wonderful game. The only problem with it is that the exploration never really opens up to super metroid levels until the end game and then only for a short time. It feels slightly more linear as a result. Zero Mission is a better game but Fusion is well worth a play through.

As for your shooter night, drop Phalanx, it's not that great and replace it with some of the parodius games! Axelay of course is always a good shout ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I just got through Castlevania SOTN, played it on the ePSXe emulator.
    what a great game, I'm on the look out for something can ayone reccomend a good one?

you've probably seen these before but i'll link to them anyway.

got a real laugh out of this.

what a tune!

There's plenty of great games like symphony of the night. The best of them all is Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo, arguably the greatest game ever made. Also the GBA and DS castlevanias are very similar to SotN and well worth playing as are later Metroid games like Fusion, Zero Mission and the metroid prime series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Today has been a good day. I got a USB floppy drive and now have 20 floppy disks loaded with snes games.

Haha where did you get the floppy disks! There almost impossible to find in stores these days ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Thanks, I might give super metroid a blast. I've seen it mentioned many times. Don't have a DS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

LoGiE wrote: »
    Haha where did you get the floppy disks! There almost impossible to find in stores these days ;)
    I got some floppys a few months ago in Dunmore in Waterford :P They were in a little shop and €1 each. There was only 2 left and I just had to pick them up!

Advertisement