Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the "asking for hand in marriage" tradition still go on?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My husband didn't do it, nor did my sister's husband. It would not occur to him that if and when our daughter or sons are about to be proposed to that a prospective partner would ask him for permission.

I had an engagement ring because I wanted one, my dad walked me up the aisle etc but the 'asking for your daughter's hand in marriage' thing creeps me out.

lazygal wrote: »
    My husband didn't do it, nor did my sister's husband. It would not occur to him that if and when our daughter or sons are about to be proposed to that a prospective partner would ask him for permission.

I had an engagement ring because I wanted one, my dad walked me up the aisle etc but the 'asking for your daughter's hand in marriage' thing creeps me out.

Then so should being "given away" no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I didn't ask permission but I did tell my fiance's parents I was going to ask because I knew it was important to my girlfriend.

Her dad seemed bemused and her mother cried. My fiance was happy too.

Then so should being "given away" no?
    He wasn't giving me away. He walked down the aisle with me. As he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That's splitting straws really though. The father walking the bride down the aisle is traditionally the father 'giving away' the bride. Likewise the 'Asking the fathers permission' which in reality is just giving them a heads up in advance of anyone else.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I agree with you, but it's still a tradition based on being given away, which I don't have a problem with as it's not real but is a nice tradition.

I feel the same way about asking the parents, it's just adding to the excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭blue note

There's a contradiction in not wanting your finance to ask for permission, but still wanting the tradition of your father giving you away. You didn't consider it being given away, but that's the tradition that you observed.

And I think that's completely fine. I don't think people should have to explain themselves on what traditions they like and which they don't. Sometimes people have a specific objection to a tradition and sometimes it just doesn't feel right to them. Or maybe they have an objection but just like it anyway. And that's all completely fine.

blue note wrote: »
    There's a contradiction in not wanting your finance to ask for permission, but still wanting the tradition of your father giving you away. You didn't consider it being given away, but that's the tradition that you observed.

And I think that's completely fine. I don't think people should have to explain themselves on what traditions they like and which they don't. Sometimes people have a specific objection to a tradition and sometimes it just doesn't feel right to them. Or maybe they have an objection but just like it anyway. And that's all completely fine.
    Yeah, it isn't all or nothing. I could happily not have done the aisle thing but it was important to my dad, unlike himself asking him permission for marriage, so I did it. It's great that the lists of 'have tos' around weddings are rapidly getting smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My OH spoke to my Dad (he doesn't know this, I overheard them :D) but it certainly wasn't asking permission, it was just telling him that this is what he was planning to do. I think some people are a little defensive about it. It's a tradition - do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want but don't be bullying and lambasting those who do. It's mean and it doesn't impact on you anyway. Sometimes traditions are held up just for nostalgia or whatever. Clearly, nobody actually thinks that daughters are their fathers property, and if you do think this, your problems go beyond this old school tradition. Traditions are there to be used or not, depending on the individual's preferences.

I like the idea that my OH spoke to my Dad about it. I know my Dad did too. I certainly am secure enough in my own independence as a grown woman with my own life, career, friends, goals etc. to not implode from sensitivity or offence because my other half decides to indulge my old dad in a bit of old school tradition. Also, people claiming that they would be grossly offended etc. if their partner did this - presumably, if you're planning to spend the rest of your life with someone, you would know them well enough to know where the land lies on this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just do what makes you happy,
    I knew asking for the blessing , (not permission ) would make her parents feel a bit involved and excited for the whole thing, It was happing weather they liked it or not but I thought it was nice for everyone to feel some what a part of it as she is the only daughter,

Someone said they'd think the person asking was a "BETA" , im in no shape or form a beta but I knew asking would make other people feel good and excited so why not give them that moment, ,
    I could have easy said nothing and done it myself no one would have really cared but if you can add a bit of excitement and give the family good memories why not ?

Each to there own but to say someone is "BETA" for asking shows you care way to much about keeping up front's and the fear of that actually makes you a " BETA "

• Advertisement

Just do what makes you happy,
    I knew asking for the blessing , (not permission ) would make her parents feel a bit involved and excited for the whole thing, It was happing weather they liked it or not but I thought it was nice for everyone to feel some what a part of it as she is the only daughter,

Someone said they'd think the person asking was a "BETA" , im in no shape or form a beta but I knew asking would make other people feel good and excited so why not give them that moment, ,
    I could have easy said nothing and done it myself no one would have really cared but if you can add a bit of excitement and give the family good memories why not ?

Each to there own but to say someone is "BETA" for asking shows you care way to much about keeping up front's and the fear of that actually makes you a " BETA "

Agree.

https://www.themodernman.com/success/alpha-male-vs-beta-male.html

It's an interesting position that some people have taken - to ridicule the act of asking permission because it belittles the woman and treats her like property, while at the same time supporting the concept of the alpha male, who by design, is overly confident, and relentlessly pursues women he is interested in by making them feel "girly and feminine" in order for them to respect him. How do these two positions reconcile?

In my opinion, allowing any kind of hierarchical stereotype to dictate the value you place on a person is quite a Neanderthal approach, and I'm glad that neither of the two most important men in my life think like this :) I'll take a beta with his mid level of social assurance any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I first heard of this tradition after I moved to Ireland so I wonder if this is just an Irish thing. I wouldn't have wanted my husband to ask my dad first or even talk to him about it before talking to me first. I think I would have found it a bit insulting tbh. We didn't have a traditional wedding or engagement either though, that was never really our thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's an interesting position that some people have taken - to ridicule the act of asking permission because it belittles the woman and treats her like property,

No, I'd be more concerned at a man that needs to 'ask permission' from an older male figure.

It's strikes me as very Beta.

I would hope that my daughter has more sense than to marry a soyboy, I really would.

No, I'd be more concerned at a man that needs to 'ask permission' from an older male figure.

I would hope that my daughter has more sense than to marry a soyboy, I really would.

Oh I don't doubt your concern, but you're just re-stating your position rather than answering my question which is how to reconcile a position which on the one hand demonises men who are viewed as "beta" but also (rightly) supports the idea that women should be confident and think for themselves - an alpha male, by design, would run a mile from such a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I thought soyboys/betas were feminists who would surely eschew such a tradition.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I thought soyboys/betas were feminists who would surely eschew such a tradition.

"As with ‘cuck’ before it, ‘soy boy’ has its roots in masculinity and an intense fear of being anything like a woman. Because as we know, a woman is the worst thing you can be."

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/28/what-is-a-soy-boy-7034424/

Surely you can see people just do it to involve there wife's family it more a sign of respect to her father, 99% will still go ahead with the marriage even if the father said no ,

Now obvious we don't know you or what your really like but in your post you show all the sign's of a BETA, afraid to let down a guard or show respect to someone incase the see that as a weakness

I'v never meet a Alpha who is afraid of showing another man respect Infact its a BETA trait to not show respect , its a fear that showing respect belittles you , its a lack of self confidence

If your a combat sports fan you'll see the most Alpha men in the world show respect to each other its not something to be afraid of ,

Again each to there own and there are many reason why someone would not ask the parents which are valid but to say someone who does is BETA or a soy boy is not an intelligent take on the situation ,

Beta
    Alpha

Get off the internet mate, real people don't talk/think like that

Beta
    Alpha

Get off the internet mate, real people don't talk/think like that

I know just relying to the chap that started of the whole BETA debate

I know just relying to the chap that started of the whole BETA debate

Fair enough :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r